Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:01 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Responses here and elsewhere seem to indicate something contrary to your two sentences. I would lean towards your first comment though, but thank for the comments. Again, no right or wrong opinions as they are each unique.
Question:
Is the Wright Flyer a traditional airplane?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I can't believe this needs to be explained.
I call the mode I fly "conventional" RC.
The plane is always flown in my field of view and within the confines of the airfield.
It matters not how unconventional my plane is or how it's equipped [within AMA rules].
NEXT..........
Originally Posted by mongo
"What is Traditional RC modeling? "

flying r/c for the pure enjoyment of it, within line of sight of the operator of that model.
everything outside of that, is non traditional r/c modeling.

ps
i did not define the "model" on purpose, as it maters not.
I'll stand with both of these responses , I couldn't have said it better . No cameras allowing flight beyond LOS , No paid missions whatsoever , and no fancy GPS the plane flies itself stuff . Sounds like a fairly straightforward line of distinction to me .

Anyone wanna talk about just how early is too early for Christmas advertisements ? I think advertising anything about Christmas before Thanksgiving oughta be flat out Illegal ........
Old 09-30-2015, 09:33 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Responses here and elsewhere seem to indicate something contrary to your two sentences. I would lean towards your first comment though, but thank for the comments. Again, no right or wrong opinions as they are each unique.

OMG! I'm going to DIE! A rational and KIND response! THANK YOU!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Silent-AV8R

Here's a perfect example of the "lumping" I have been saying is happening:

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...924-story.html

20+ years down the drain because the Park Service came up with a policy due to numbnuts with Phantoms crashing into geyser and flying in the Grand Canyon.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's great and all, but probably something for one of the other threads on the FAA, AMA, etc etc etc. Was really going for something else with this thread rather than go down the other line.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:19 AM
islandflyer

That's great and all, but probably something for one of the other threads on the FAA, AMA, etc etc etc. Was really going for something else with this thread rather than go down the other line.
So what exactly are you going for in this one then? What is your agenda?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:29 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Here's a perfect example of the "lumping" I have been saying is happening:

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...924-story.html

20+ years down the drain because the Park Service came up with a policy due to numbnuts with Phantoms crashing into geyser and flying in the Grand Canyon.
I understand what you are meaning here.

MY opinion is it doesn't matter the platform. Some other stick jock could have decided to use a helicopter or an airplane and cause the problem. It stems back to education.

Now back to the topic of "What is traditional R/C Modeling" I took the question as "What is traditional R/C Aviation"

Traditional R/C Modeling to me is a Forest-In-A-Box. A Box of wood with a set of plans that one would need to cut, glue and sand to make look like an airplane....

"Traditional R/C Aviation" on the other hand doesn't exist. Aviation is an ever evolving critter. Everything evolves in aviation. People growing up and experiencing R/C aviation, in some cases, use R/C as a stepping stone into full size aviation. To limit the platform is to limit the experience, imagination and progression of aviation.

Last edited by TimJ; 09-30-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by islandflyer
Don't get ahead of yourself and read more into this than need be. It's a simple question, answer it or not, but don't troll this thread please.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
I understand what you are meaning here.

MY opinion is it doesn't matter the platform. Some other stick jock could have decided to use a helicopter or an airplane and cause the problem. It stems back to education.

Now back to the topic of "What is traditional R/C Modeling" I took the question as "What is traditional R/C Aviation"

Traditional R/C Modeling to me is a Forest-In-A-Box. A Box of wood with a set of plans that one would need to cut, glue and sand to make look like an airplane....

"Traditional R/C Aviation" on the other hand doesn't exist. Aviation is an ever evolving critter. Everything evolves in aviation. People growing up and experiencing R/C aviation, in some cases, use R/C as a stepping stone into full size aviation. To limit the platform is to limit the experience, imagination and progression of aviation.

Thanks for your thoughts Tim!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:20 AM
islandflyer

Don't get ahead of yourself and read more into this than need be. It's a simple question, answer it or not, but don't troll this thread please.
That was not a troll, but a simple request for clarification of your own statement (you did make a statement, and asked no question...). Or do you think you have a monopoly on requesting clarification?...
Old 09-30-2015, 11:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

That was not a troll, but a simple request for clarification of your own statement (you did make a statement, and asked no question...). Or do you think you have a monopoly on requesting clarification?...
Seriously, are you really that desperate for drama? What part of this question don't you recognize as a question:

[h=1]What is Traditional RC modeling?[/h]The line you cherry picked and tried to use as the justification for your loaded question was clearly (for reasonable folk) pertaining to the thread question, and the desire to limit the discussion to that. Why limit it, so exactly what is happening here hopefully wouldn't.

Guess there's not enough in the other threads eh?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:35 AM
porcia83
Banned

In case you missed page one, post one. In part:

But for the purposes of this thread, I'm asking, what is your opinion of "traditional RC modeling". Not looking to debate it, question it, say it wrong or right, etc etc, and hope others will do the same as well as commenting. Hoping this doesn't go the way of other threads dealing with broader issues.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:34 PM
thepamster

Traditional RC Modeling is the relationship between "one" pilot and "one" aircraft. Lol.
It also could mean the act of posing for a photograph with one of your favorite planes.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Kit built, scratch built, foam, etc ? Does that matter or are you looking at it from purely a functional thing, ie How you fly?
STOP, STOP, STOP trying to associate trandional RC modeling iwth a particlur type of plane. Traditional RC modeling is a group of guys getting together at the local field for some SAFE fun and comraderie.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Traditional ? = Buy the KIT. Build the KIT. Fly the model. Ding the model. Fix the model. Fly the model again.

" Personal opinion " !
Old 09-30-2015, 02:58 PM
islandflyer

Traditional RC modeling has three parts, and in my opinion, it translates like this:

1) Modeling= smaller model of a full sized machine (floating -like boats, rolling -like cars or trucks, flying -like planes, gliders or helicopters). These are often very loosely based on the full size counterparts, but they can still be considered models.

2) RC= means that it is R emote Controlled (via a transmit ter). This does not include those operated autonomously (like auto-pilots and or GPS controlled): these have inner controls, which is different from remote controlled.

3) Traditional= by definition, is defined by tradition, or the way it has usually been done within any given community, by those who have been doing it.

Within the context of Traditional RC Aeromodeling, this would mean flying a Model Aircraft (defined above), via a Remote Controller (or transmitter) - and not by an auto pilot or GPS, and in direct line of sight (meaning with no FPV) and within a defined air space (which is either the visual limits of line of sight, or the limits prescribed by the club where one flies).
Old 09-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Silent-AV8R

You mean other than this club, its members, and how and what they fly being perfect examples of what myself and others are calling "Traditional Model Aviation?"
Old 09-30-2015, 04:09 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

Being 60 years old, and an airplane nut my whole life I will say this: Traditional building and techniques are as follows. In the 50-60's planes were covered with tissue or silkspan and painted with dope. Plastic films came out and are great, but not as realistic as a painted plane. Glassed and painted I can't say when that started, but is a modern day scale standard. In my eyes it is all good!
Old 09-30-2015, 04:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
STOP, STOP, STOP trying to associate trandional RC modeling iwth a particlur type of plane. Traditional RC modeling is a group of guys getting together at the local field for some SAFE fun and comraderie.
Appreciate you view on what traditional RC modeling is, that was the intent of this thread. You might have missed this part though:

But for the purposes of this thread, I'm asking, what is your opinion of "traditional RC modeling". Not looking to debate it, question it, say it wrong or right, etc etc, and hope others will do the same as well as commenting.

Not sure why you feel the need to tell me or anyone else to stop associating RC modeling though with a type of plane (although I wasn't do that). If that's their opinion, they are entitled to it.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Traditional RC modeling has three parts, and in my opinion, it translates like this:

1) Modeling= smaller model of a full sized machine (floating -like boats, rolling -like cars or trucks, flying -like planes, gliders or helicopters). These are often very loosely based on the full size counterparts, but they can still be considered models.

2) RC= means that it is R emote Controlled (via a transmit ter). This does not include those operated autonomously (like auto-pilots and or GPS controlled): these have inner controls, which is different from remote controlled.

3) Traditional= by definition, is defined by tradition, or the way it has usually been done within any given community, by those who have been doing it.

Within the context of Traditional RC Aeromodeling, this would mean flying a Model Aircraft (defined above), via a Remote Controller (or transmitter) - and not by an auto pilot or GPS, and in direct line of sight (meaning with no FPV) and within a defined air space (which is either the visual limits of line of sight, or the limits prescribed by the club where one flies).
Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate the input.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
You mean other than this club, its members, and how and what they fly being perfect examples of what myself and others are calling "Traditional Model Aviation?"
Have no idea what club and/or members you are talking about, but if you want to start a thread and have a conversation about "traditional model aviation", have at it. I started this thread asking a question about Traditional RC Modeling. Your first answer was about an FAA advisory circular, and second response continued in that vain. Not sure why it was so hard to answer the question and not drag politics/FAA into it as I has asked, and now you continue with a different topic. Is it possible to just have an honest question and answer without a debate?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In case you missed page one, post one. In part:

But for the purposes of this thread, I'm asking, what is your opinion of "traditional RC modeling". Not looking to debate it, question it, say it wrong or right, etc etc, and hope others will do the same as well as commenting. Hoping this doesn't go the way of other threads dealing with broader issues.
Pure "Orwellian Doublespeak".
The Great George Orwell wrote his works as warnings to future generations about those who's trade is "manipulation" of the truth [AKA Spin Doctors], but folks like Porcia have managed to use the Great Orwell's depictions / warnings as "How To Manuals"
Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Silent-AV8R

Have no idea what club and/or members you are talking about,
The one in the link I posted above.

but if you want to start a thread and have a conversation about "traditional model aviation", have at it. I started this thread asking a question about Traditional RC Modeling.
Oh sorry, See the thread title "What is Traditional RC modeling?"
led me to believe that this thread was about discussing what is Traditional RC modeling. So you want to have a discussion about "traditional RC modeling"NOT Traditional Model Aviation.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!!

BTW - the club in the link that I posted above, which you clearly did not even look at, is a perfect example of Traditional RC Modeling, AND Traditional Model Aviation too!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.