Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:15 PM
mcreeves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starts with a dream, a box with a flying machine in it, the wonder of a completed bird, the sheer terror of the first flight, the joy of success, and the agony of defeat. Start dreaming of the next one and the next one, and the next. Nothing better that I know of.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcreeves
Starts with a dream, a box with a flying machine in it, the wonder of a completed bird, the sheer terror of the first flight, the joy of success, and the agony of defeat. Start dreaming of the next one and the next one, and the next. Nothing better that I know of.
That's a great take on it, thanks!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Traditional RC modeling, that pertains to radio control, no rubber bands except to hold some wings on and no free flights that just climb and fly in circles until they run out of nitro.

Today it's building or buying an RTF trainer and crashing it only to buy or build another and learn to fly on a buddy box, now the fun begins but wait, the trainer gets old and you buy another intermediate plane, it gets old so you buy another and another and another until you have a garage full of them, that's traditional RC today.

Leroy
Old 09-30-2015, 09:38 PM
thepamster

I think putting the word "traditional" in a question causes many to push back the table and start pulling out the pistols. Lol.
Why should RC be any less traditional because of technological advancements or type of aircraft?
I am having trouble seriously answering the question because it is really two questions. I mean, what is traditional RC? What does that even mean?
What is traditional modeling? Now THAT is a question right there! Lock and load.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:56 AM
rcmiket

"What is traditional modeling?"

Chewing glue off your fingers.
The smell off dope
Building two right wing panels.

Mike
Old 10-01-2015, 03:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by thepamster
I think putting the word "traditional" in a question causes many to push back the table and start pulling out the pistols. Lol.
Why should RC be any less traditional because of technological advancements or type of aircraft?
I am having trouble seriously answering the question because it is really two questions. I mean, what is traditional RC? What does that even mean?
What is traditional modeling? Now THAT is a question right there! Lock and load.
I agree it's a tough question to answer. The phrase came up in a different thread about something else, and down the rabbit hole that issue went. I looked at the phrase and I wasn't able to easily define it, even for myself....hence the question here.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"What is traditional modeling?"

Chewing glue off your fingers.
The smell off dope
Building two right wing panels.

Mike
Does CA count?
Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Does CA count?
Yea but I'm not to sure how good it is for you.I normally sand that stuff off my fingers.

Mike
Old 10-01-2015, 03:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yea but I'm not to sure how good it is for you.

Mike
Everything in moderation.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:33 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This subject seems to pretty much be arguable right up to the end of time. HOWEVER, for me, traditional RC modeling has always been "build the plane, fly the plane, hopefully bring it home intact". If point 3 isn't followed, you just start back at point one.

Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with "legal", "allowed", whatever - but it's how this as always been for me.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:59 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[h=2]What is Traditional RC modeling? Is this a TRICK Question?[/h]If U go back to the start of Aero Modeling it's probably Stick and Tissue.
Today I'd Say there is NO such thing as, Traditional RC modeling, Just about anything goes from Scratch built, Plans built, Kits, RTC, ARF to Buy here it here on RCU. Tradition is what ever the person want's it to be. If he builds he'll say that's Tradition, and for him it is. Doesn't make him better or worse than any one else. just Traditional as he sees it I guess. Again JMHO and U know about Opinions right?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
What is Traditional RC modeling? Is this a TRICK Question?

If U go back to the start of Aero Modeling it's probably Stick and Tissue.
Today I'd Say there is NO such thing as, Traditional RC modeling, Just about anything goes from Scratch built, Plans built, Kits, RTC, ARF to Buy here it here on RCU. Tradition is what ever the person want's it to be. If he builds he'll say that's Tradition, and for him it is. Doesn't make him better or worse than any one else. just Traditional as he sees it I guess. Again JMHO and U know about Opinions right?
Indeed we do!

Nope, not a trick question, nor is there any agenda as has been alluded to by another member. Just a seemingly simple question that I guess isn't so simple. I saw it noted several times in other threads, along with several different opinions on what it is. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:01 AM
TimJ

Pretty neat to see everyone's opinion.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:34 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Traditional (aircraft) RC modeling involves standing on the ground and enjoying/experiencing/watching the aircraft fly. A primary goal of the activity is observing and controlling the flight of the aircraft.

If "traditional" RC exists, the existence of the converse....namely, "non traditional" RC, is strongly implied. In this example, non traditional RC modeling would not involve the watching or enjoying of the flight of the model as the primary reason or goal of the activity.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Traditional (aircraft) RC modeling involves standing on the ground and enjoying/experiencing/watching the aircraft fly. A primary goal of the activity is observing and controlling the flight of the aircraft.

If "traditional" RC exists, the existence of the converse....namely, "non traditional" RC, is strongly implied. In this example, non traditional RC modeling would not involve the watching or enjoying of the flight of the model as the primary reason or goal of the activity.
Interesting point!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Exactly.
Traditional Radio Control versus Non-Traditional Radio control.
It's only as complex as a person tries to make it.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:20 AM
rcmiket

Would this be considered "Traditional Modeling"?

[h=1]Wizard Wand: Chroma[/h]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtRqTa-SHFM

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Would this be considered "Traditional Modeling"?

Wizard Wand: Chroma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtRqTa-SHFM

Mike
Are there any parts of the AMA safety code he is in violation of? If so, what part(s) of the AMA safety code is he in violation of?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Are there any parts of the AMA safety code he is in violation of? If so, what part(s) of the AMA safety code is he in violation of?
What is the connection of these questions with the topic of this thread:
What is Traditional RC modeling? "

Last edited by islandflyer; 10-07-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by islandflyer
What is the connection of these questions with the topic of this thread:
What is Traditional RC modeling? "
The AMA Safety Code has been around for decades and has always been representative of traditional modeling activities. If the activity shown in the video violates any part of the AMA safety code then I'd like to know what part(s) of the AMA safety code the activity shown in the video is in violation of.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 AM
islandflyer

The AMA Safety Code has been around for decades and has always been representative of traditional modeling activities. If the activity shown in the video violates any part of the AMA safety code then I'd like to know what part(s) of the AMA safety code the activity shown in the video is in violation of.
The safety code is only that: a safety code.
It is not in itself the definition of traditional RC modeling which is the question here.
Definition is the question in"What is Traditional RC modeling"

Safety is a different question. Here I am again having to explain English language...AMA safety code and its violations is not in the present question, but certainly could be the object of its own thread.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by islandflyer
The safety code is only that: a safety code.
It is not in itself the definition of traditional RC modeling which is the question here.
Definition is the question in"What is Traditional RC modeling"

Safety is a different question. Here I am again having to explain English language...AMA safety code and its violations is not in the present question, but certainly could be the object of its own thread.
So then, in my humble opinion, anything within the scope of the AMA safety code is traditional modeling.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

To me this is a simple math question. Take all RC activity as a whole and find the average or most common. That is traditional. It is not a fixed mark, but, will change with numbers of activity over time (like it or not).

Lets hope that it remains alive and kicking. I've enjoyed many traditional RC activities in the 39 years since I entered. I bought a 2 channel Cox-Swana and entered RC in 1976. I did join the AMA at that time and have followed the rules and been a member ever since.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 AM
rcmiket

The question was "Would this be considered "Traditional Modeling"?"

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The question was "Would this be considered "Traditional Modeling"?"

Mike
I already answered "yes".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.