Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Would this be considered "Traditional Modeling"?

Wizard Wand: Chroma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtRqTa-SHFM

Mike
BTW, how much are you selling the Chroma for?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:29 PM
thumbnstick
My Feedback: (169)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Traditional R/C Modeling" Brings a smile to my face. Traditions are defined as something passed on from generation to generation. For me thinking back there are lots of tradidtions. Toledo for one. Still go there year after year. Bringing a new model to the field with a big smile on your face.... and having your buddies smile too. ( inside you just know they are jealous with envy) The feeling you get when the maiden flies straight and true! Another tradition is the help you get from your buddies when a glow engine doesn't start..... "wrong fuel", "bad glow igniter", "change the plug you idiot", "Ya gotta lean it in... NO rich it out", and the good old classic, " why did you buy that brand of engine .... know wonder it doesn't run" LOL Oh .... and what club doesn't relish the tradition of officer elections, so fun and very traditional!! Looking through the next months magazine to see what's new..... and the cheapest place to buy it! Friends you establish year after year, from all over the country. Those things just don't change for me, and make the hobby priceless.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by islandflyer
What is the connection of these questions with the topic of this thread:
What is Traditional RC modeling? "
Is there insufficient drama in the other threads you're involved in that you have to try to start it here? Since I started the thread, I have an idea what the question was, and the spirit behind it.

Not looking to debate it, question it, say it wrong or right, etc etc, and hope others will do the same as well as commenting. Hoping this doesn't go the way of other threads dealing with broader issues.

So, what is your idea of it. I believe you shared yours. Great. Thanks. Now how about we let folks share their thought without being asked silly obvious question meant to generate nothing but more debate, and drama. Is it really that hard to do? It's hilarious that I was asked about MY motivation for asking simple question, and yet the thread turns into just another chance to nitpic and argue, just for the sake of pushing an agenda.

If I ask nicely to stop would it make a difference? Perhaps start your own thread and let it go the way you want?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by kmeyers
To me this is a simple math question. Take all RC activity as a whole and find the average or most common. That is traditional. It is not a fixed mark, but, will change with numbers of activity over time (like it or not).

Lets hope that it remains alive and kicking. I've enjoyed many traditional RC activities in the 39 years since I entered. I bought a 2 channel Cox-Swana and entered RC in 1976. I did join the AMA at that time and have followed the rules and been a member ever since.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by thumbnstick
"Traditional R/C Modeling" Brings a smile to my face. Traditions are defined as something passed on from generation to generation. For me thinking back there are lots of tradidtions. Toledo for one. Still go there year after year. Bringing a new model to the field with a big smile on your face.... and having your buddies smile too. ( inside you just know they are jealous with envy) The feeling you get when the maiden flies straight and true! Another tradition is the help you get from your buddies when a glow engine doesn't start..... "wrong fuel", "bad glow igniter", "change the plug you idiot", "Ya gotta lean it in... NO rich it out", and the good old classic, " why did you buy that brand of engine .... know wonder it doesn't run" LOL Oh .... and what club doesn't relish the tradition of officer elections, so fun and very traditional!! Looking through the next months magazine to see what's new..... and the cheapest place to buy it! Friends you establish year after year, from all over the country. Those things just don't change for me, and make the hobby priceless.
And don't forget the argument about Spektrum v Futaba etc etc.

Thanks for writing something about a smile on a face, and your thoughts as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:42 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I already answered "yes".
Thanks. The "Safety Code " thing threw me off.

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM
thepamster

Would this be considered "Traditional Modeling"?

Wizard Wand: Chroma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtRqTa-SHFM

Mike
No. The hiker is using a tool, a drone, for tracking and/or recording his journey.
In my opinion it is not model aviation either.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:50 PM
rcmiket

BTW, how much are you selling the Chroma for?
Whatever MAP is. Another words Horizon pricing..

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Whatever MAP is. Another words Horizon pricing..

Mike
So you're no Kim Davis by selling drones all day.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM
rcmiket

So you're no Kim Davis by selling drones all day.
What part of I don't hate "drones" don't you get? Just because I don't feel they are "traditional R/C" or will ever join the ranks of the AMA I'm some kinda criminal for selling them? I'm sure you feel the same way about gun dealers or liquor store salesman.
Just how low will you sink?

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

What part of I don't hate "drones" don't you get? Just because I don't feel they are "traditional R/C" or will ever join the ranks of the AMA I'm some kinda criminal for selling them? I'm sure you feel the same way about gun dealers or liquor store salesman.
Just how low will you sink?

Mike
I see. So dictating that they have their own organization is your welcoming message? You're so certain they'll never join the AMA, but you feel they should start their own organization and join it because?
Old 10-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Mickydee1354

To me, traditional modeling was when you had to build what you wanted to fly, either from plans or a kit. ARF's were few and far between and pretty much all flyers were builders, and most builders were flyers.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickydee1354
To me, traditional modeling was when you had to build what you wanted to fly, either from plans or a kit. ARF's were few and far between and pretty much all flyers were builders, and most builders were flyers.
This is so true in other motor sports as well.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Mickydee1354
Thanks for that. I know a few guys now who really enjoy building, fabricating, repairing etc, but no longer want to fly for a number of reasons. They are great to learn from, some have little tricks and things they do to make the process easier. One has hammered me enough over the past two years to get my first kit, which I finally did this past week. It's laser cut and doesn't look all that difficult, but we'll see.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:38 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Thanks for that. I know a few guys now who really enjoy building, fabricating, repairing etc, but no longer want to fly for a number of reasons. They are great to learn from, some have little tricks and things they do to make the process easier. One has hammered me enough over the past two years to get my first kit, which I finally did this past week. It's laser cut and doesn't look all that difficult, but we'll see.
Ok Porcia, this thread has had it's run, it's been good and a bit bad, good by the guys that know "Traditional RC Modeling" and bad by the guys that just love to thrust out their chest and fight you with their rhetoric, we call them "wise *****es" Right now I'm pinning down a set of plans to my work table, going to start some traditional RC building.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

You go boy!

I have to start gearing up in that same manner here shortly. I'm used to arfs and foamies so building will be different, even with laser cut kit. My buddy will assist with all the other stuff needed, pins, boards, glues etc.

I don't know that the thread has run it's course, don't know that I'd shut it even if I had that ability, just hope the negativity stops. All good thoughts and comments are welcome.

Now where is that exacto knife?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:50 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see. So dictating that they have their own organization is your welcoming message? You're so certain they'll never join the AMA, but you feel they should start their own organization and join it because?
Just another attack from the side that whines for being attacked!

NO CRISPY!!!! Your logic is flawed. He didn't "dictate" that the "droners" should form their own CBO, he said the AMA should distance themselves from the drones. At that point, (because Mike is NOT anti-drone) it would be prudent for the "droners" to form their own group that is capable of advocating for their own, uniquely different needs.

This has been explained to you NUMEROUS times in these threads, yet you continue to try and spin and twist others' words into something you know it is not.

Astro
Old 10-08-2015, 05:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog

NO CRISPY!!!! Your logic is flawed. He didn't "dictate" that the "droners" should form their own CBO, he said the AMA should distance themselves from the drones. At that point, (because Mike is NOT anti-drone) it would be prudent for the "droners" to form their own group that is capable of advocating for their own, uniquely different needs.

This has been explained to you NUMEROUS times in these threads, yet you continue to try and spin and twist others' words into something you know it is not.

Astro
Whines for being attacked, where so?

While you're at it, please kindly explain which part(s) of FAA AC 91-57A you feel covers "their own, uniquely different needs."?

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1028086[h=2][/h]
Old 10-08-2015, 05:22 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whines for being attacked, where so?

While you're at it, please kindly explain which part(s) of FAA AC 91-57A you feel covers "their own, uniquely different needs."?

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1028086
Ummm, we've already been down that road.

more spin and deflection!

We are talking about, "traditional rc modeling" in this thread. What does the FAA AC have to do with that? NOTHING!

Furthermore, the FAA has nothing to do with how the AMA should, or should not embrace the droners.

I'm getting dizzy!

Astro
Old 10-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro
Still waiting for whining evidence. Now, are you a man of your word or not?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 AM
GerKonig

When I started Traditional modeling had a clear meaning: Build your model, and use 2 stroke engines. Why? there were no 4 strokes or gas applications at the time.

Then gas engines appeared (Quadra) and the 4 strokes appeared later, and much later still RC Helicopters! That was something! Then ducted fan jets. Then electrics, much later electrics really took of with the brushless inrunners, and later outrunners. ARFs appeared. way before outrunners, etc.

To define "traditional RC" modeling w/o linking it to a date (like define rc tradicional modeling in 1965) is impossible. Like saying, OK, describe the physical appearance of a typical American male... Some threads are born to go nowhere, this is one:-)

My 3 cents

Gerry
Old 10-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I guess all the newbies forgot the days when traditional modelers built their own radios.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:01 AM
islandflyer

There is one very big difference worthy of pointing out between what most accept as being "traditional" R/C modeling (R/C planes, R/C helis, R/C gliders), versus what many feel is not traditional R/C modeling (or even not modeling at all) like drones:
- All in the first category have always been part of R/C modeling, and had no real existence outside of modeling.
- The second category (drones), on the other hand, started outside of modeling in various shapes and formats, and is mostly present and multiplying outside of modeling, with applications such as farming, industry, spying, military, weather monitoring, photography, filming, deliveries and many more.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GerKonig
When I started Traditional modeling had a clear meaning: Build your model, and use 2 stroke engines. Why? there were no 4 strokes or gas applications at the time.

Then gas engines appeared (Quadra) and the 4 strokes appeared later, and much later still RC Helicopters! That was something! Then ducted fan jets. Then electrics, much later electrics really took of with the brushless inrunners, and later outrunners. ARFs appeared. way before outrunners, etc.

To define "traditional RC" modeling w/o linking it to a date (like define rc tradicional modeling in 1965) is impossible. Like saying, OK, describe the physical appearance of a typical American male... Some threads are born to go nowhere, this is one:-)

My 3 cents

Gerry
Well thanks for the 3 cents and your comments in this thread going nowhere....
Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1028086
Are you saying that since the FAA has rules that don’t differentiate between traditional model aircraft and “drones” then the AMA should not either?

That is like saying since traffic laws don’t differentiate between sports cars and minivans, a sports car club should "invite" minivan drivers to join?

Maybe the Ferrari Club of America should spend a million dollars of its dues money trying to get me (with my Toyota Sienna) to join…..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.