Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:09 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Drone guys look like they have it covered:

http://www.uavsa.org/

This one even filed a legal challenge to the FAA ruling:

http://dronepilotsassociation.com/
Old 10-08-2015, 02:35 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"What is traditional modeling?"

Chewing glue off your fingers.
The smell off dope
Building two right wing panels.

Mike
The time or two I built two right wings , I just said "Might as well" and went and built two left panels , which ended up leading to two identical models .

Twins , of a different sort !
Old 10-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Are you saying that since the FAA has rules that don’t differentiate between traditional model aircraft and “drones” then the AMA should not either?

That is like saying since traffic laws don’t differentiate between sports cars and minivans, a sports car club should "invite" minivan drivers to join?

Maybe the Ferrari Club of America should spend a million dollars of its dues money trying to get me (with my Toyota Sienna) to join…..
Why not read the AC yourself? Pay particular attention to the drone specific sections.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
The time or two I built two right wings , I just said "Might as well" and went and built two left panels , which ended up leading to two identical models .

Twins , of a different sort !
I should have thought about that when I did it.

Mike
Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Excuse me but your saying the newbies did once know and now they seem to forget? I think I know what your attempting to say but they way you put it, it doesn't add up to me.
Yeah, I see where I should have worded that better. Maybe I should just rephrase it.

"Traditional RC modeling" is when you built your own radio and flew on 6m.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:38 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Yeah, I see where I should have worded that better. Maybe I should just rephrase it.

"Traditional RC modeling" is when you built your own radio and flew on 6m.
Perhaps more than the Newbies forgot that ~
Old 10-08-2015, 05:40 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Worry about yourself and your actions, and accept responsibility for what you do, don't worry about anyone else. Like I said, assume everyone else here is in the wrong, why again do you need to be as well, because someone else is too? You likely got the response you want now, and no doubt there will be additional retorts etc, from you or the others. Have at it, I'm done.
In other words, "Do as I say, not as I do"

NICE!

Astro
Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Perhaps more than the Newbies forgot that ~
Yeah, it's been a while, still have my 6m radio.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:31 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
I think most of us gray hairs would consider kit/scratch built RC fixed wing aircraft as traditional. Which would cover from the 30's when the Good Bro's started experimenting with radio controls up to the early 70's when helicopters and arfs started finding their way into the hobby.
This sums it up quite well, no arfs, no quads/drones can be considered as traditional rc.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:46 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

To me traditional R/C modeling is building smaller scratch built or kit built airplanes with glo fuel engines. Gluing them together with Ambroid glue, biting the cured glue from my fingertips as things sat overnight drying, and covering with either Silron or silkspan covering while smelling Aero gloss dope... Those were the days and I haven't built that way in well over 3 decades, anyway that is what it means to me and nothing more.

Bob
Old 10-09-2015, 02:48 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
This sums it up quite well, no arfs, no quads/drones can be considered as traditional rc.
Originally Posted by sensei
To me traditional R/C modeling is building smaller scratch built or kit built airplanes with glo fuel engines. Gluing them together with Ambroid glue, biting the cured glue from my fingertips as things sat overnight drying, and covering with either Silron or silkspan covering while smelling Aero gloss dope... Those were the days and I haven't built that way in well over 3 decades, anyway that is what it means to me and nothing more.

Bob
Thanks for your thoughts folks!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:15 AM
GerKonig

Well thanks for the 3 cents and your comments in this thread going nowhere....
Je je, touche, I really meant "a thread that will not be able to come out with a definite answer" (hence going no where). I forgot to mention turbine powered jets, chopper and gliders that arrived much later in the game.

Gerry
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
How about choppers? How about any turbine powered stuff (airplanes, choppers and gliders)? How 'bout big electrics? How about my 4HP lithium powered airplane stuff, is that traditional?

Your definition is precisely that, your definition. As such, it could match the definition of many others in your particular age group that have similar interests. But that is it! Most will not agree... Nowdays ARFS are as traditional as doughnuts and FedEx.

Now that I think of it 100% builders only are not traditional, and a dying breed...

Gerry
Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I've had to go in and clean up personal attacks here in this thread. So here's the deal. I'm sure some of you would love to hear me say "If I see any more of this I'm going to shut the thread down", and maybe that's what they are aiming for. But that's not what I'm going to do here. If I see members that are attacking each other in the open thread again I'm simply going to put them on Moderated status. There will be no more warnings, no more chances, it will simply happen and you will be on MS. While on MS any post you make will be held and wait for approval from a moderator before it appears in the thread that you wanted it posted in. So why the harsh threat here? That's easy! You all are supposed to be adults in here, and the AMA forum is supposed to be one of the more "mature" places on RCU were adult and mature conversations and topics are discussed. However, some members come in here and act like a bunch of children on a playground having a recess time spat. It's ridiculous guys that I should even have to come in here and take these actions that I did today. So that is why I have given the warning that I have. So, for those that were involved in the incident that I had to take care of I would suggest that you find a way to come here and discuss these issues without getting into a fight with other members, because if you can't you will be put on MS. Otherwise I would suggest that you refrain from entering these discussions and go elsewhere on RCU to discuss something else. But please know that I will not hesitate to back up my warning with actions.

For those not involved in the little fight, I do apologize that you had to read this warning from me.

Ken
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Je je, touche, I really meant "a thread that will not be able to come out with a definite answer" (hence going no where). I forgot to mention turbine powered jets, chopper and gliders that arrived much later in the game.

Gerry
I knew whatcha meant, thought the 3 cent comment was funny! fwiw, the goal of the thread wasn't to have definite conclusion, or even come close to reaching any type of consensus. It's a opinion/preference thing that each person has, I was just curious as to what they would be.

Oh...don't forget RC parachute dudes too! I just got one after looking around for one for a couple of years. It's huge!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe traditional will have a different meaning for different people. It all depends on one's experience during their time in the hobby. I have been doing this for nearly forty years and have seen a lot of thing's come and go. My definition of "Traditional R/C" would be anything r/c from any time frame. 100 years from now what we did today or yesterday will be obsolete, and forgotten, or envied that we could play with our toys, that have been outlawed for them.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:15 AM
thepamster

I like this thread Porcia. It is a shame that a few people have tried to bring it down to their level despite your request in the original post.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:36 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig
How about choppers? How about any turbine powered stuff (airplanes, choppers and gliders)? How 'bout big electrics? How about my 4HP lithium powered airplane stuff, is that traditional?

Your definition is precisely that, your definition. As such, it could match the definition of many others in your particular age group that have similar interests. But that is it! Most will not agree... Nowdays ARFS are as traditional as doughnuts and FedEx.

Now that I think of it 100% builders only are not traditional, and a dying breed...

Gerry
Your comments is what makes RCU a great place to voice our opinions and it is strictly that, our opinions. We all have a right to our opinions, we should learn from others opinions as well. As far as choppers and turbines, my opinion is that they certainly could be considered traditional if they are built from a kit or scratch built. For example, i have a Trex 600e (it is for sale by the way) that i built from a kit, it is a great chopper. Mirce has a build thread going on for two turbine powered jets. Great, traditional stuff, again, just my opinion. I too have arf's that i fly and enjoy but not to the level of the subjects that were traditionally built from a kit or scratch built. Regards!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by acerc
I believe traditional will have a different meaning for different people. It all depends on one's experience during their time in the hobby. I have been doing this for nearly forty years and have seen a lot of thing's come and go. My definition of "Traditional R/C" would be anything r/c from any time frame. 100 years from now what we did today or yesterday will be obsolete, and forgotten, or envied that we could play with our toys, that have been outlawed for them.

Thanks for that. Ya, when applying the word "traditional" to our immediate situation, it's something each of us look at from our time in the hobby, clearly some newer than others. Even in 10 years from now I'm sure it will be amazing what is out there. I don't think folks saw how far it would come (for better and worse) 10 years ago, but that can be said for a lot of things, mostly tech based. I'm only into electric now, and the batteries today versus 10 years ago are pretty different.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by thepamster
I like this thread Porcia. It is a shame that a few people have tried to bring it down to their level despite your request in the original post.
Thank you sir. I think most folks are passiionate about their feelings, and this hobby. Not a bad thing overall, but the impersonal aspect of the internet changes the communication dynamic. It's easy to get caught up in it. Ken had noted in an earlier thread (ironically I think an AMA one) that in most instances, folks wouldn't be doing this stuff if we were all at the field flying together.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 PM
thepamster

Thank you sir. I think most folks are passiionate about their feelings, and this hobby. Not a bad thing overall, but the impersonal aspect of the internet changes the communication dynamic. It's easy to get caught up in it. Ken had noted in an earlier thread (ironically I think an AMA one) that in most instances, folks wouldn't be doing this stuff if we were all at the field flying together.
I think that is certainly true.

On an unrelated note, it's actually "Mam", the"Pam"ster, Pam being my name. I thought most people have known about be by now. Lol. No harm and no foul.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Regrets m'lady.

Ya never know with screen names, please to meet you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	oops.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	2124594  
Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM
islandflyer

I have been reading that tradition can mean different things for each person.

I was taught that the only effective way to communicate is to use each word for what it means (per dictionary), rather than use approximate terms for whatever I think it should mean today: if we all did the latter, we would have to spend more time defining our language, rather than actually communicating anything.

In that sense, I use the word tradition(al) as per dictionary's definition: "the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way".

That is why I defined "traditional R/C" as I did earlier. It is as it was transmitted to me by those who did it before me, and educated me in this hobby. I may have a few different notions today in certain aspects of modeling, but I would not call any of those "traditional" if they do not conform to what was passed down to me. This notion makes no judgement on weather my new things are better or worse than the tradition; however, the new and different aspects of my modeling would by no means be traditional.Others who learned modeling in a different time, group or place, would likely have a different notion of traditional modeling, based on what was passed down to them.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Traditional R/C aviation… To me is spending the time to set up a model, be it scratch built, kit built, ARF, or RTF. Carefully loading your pride and joy (model) and ground support gear into the family truckster and going to the flying field and flying your craft, visiting with friends, grilling a burger or hotdog or two, teaching your kid to fly and in general just having a good time. That’s what traditional R/C aviation means to me.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sekhet
Traditional R/C aviation… To me is spending the time to set up a model, be it scratch built, kit built, ARF, or RTF. Carefully loading your pride and joy (model) and ground support gear into the family truckster and going to the flying field and flying your craft, visiting with friends, grilling a burger or hotdog or two, teaching your kid to fly and in general just having a good time. That’s what traditional R/C aviation means to me.
Sounds awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.