Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:38 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[h=2]"What is Traditional RC modeling"[/h]
Three questions .... what is "traditional" ? ... what is "RC" ? ... what is "modelling" ?

I have no idea.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okey dokey,
Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

I thought the traditional stuff had reeds. Or was that flutes or something?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

papyrus reeds I believe....
Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Well Tom , there ya go , none other than the AMA itself has just used the descriptor "Traditional Model Aircraft" not once but twice in their latest Email referring to the DOT announcement ! Isn't that great ? The AMA believes there IS a distinction between a Traditional Model Aircraft VS , a , , what ? HMmm , what might the AMA be trying to differentiate a Traditional Model Aircraft from ? ....... Well , me personally , I think the AMA is finally attempting to put a bit of distance between a Traditional Model Aircraft and a "DRONE" , just wee bit late in the game for my liking , but some healthy distance may be just what the hobby needs to survive another 80 years . The flying camera crew will have to find some other movable platform to mount their cameras to , and good ol regular Traditional Model Aircraft flying can finally get back to the business of having fun ......
Old 10-21-2015, 05:07 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Well Tom , there ya go , none other than the AMA itself has just used the descriptor "Traditional Model Aircraft" not once but twice in their latest Email referring to the DOT announcement ! Isn't that great ? The AMA believes there IS a distinction between a Traditional Model Aircraft VS , a , , what ? HMmm , what might the AMA be trying to differentiate a Traditional Model Aircraft from ? ....... Well , me personally , I think the AMA is finally attempting to put a bit of distance between a Traditional Model Aircraft and a "DRONE" , just wee bit late in the game for my liking , but some healthy distance may be just what the hobby needs to survive another 80 years . The flying camera crew will have to find some other movable platform to mount their cameras to , and good ol regular Traditional Model Aircraft flying can finally get back to the business of having fun ......
I'm afraid it might just be too late. Seems like this whole thing is going from bad to worst.

Mike
Old 10-21-2015, 06:22 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Funny how several years ago, only the "Tin Foil Hats" and "Chicken Littles" at this forum were talking about shunning the FPV and now it is starting to look like THE MAJORITY of recent commenters shared the same wisdom all along.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:24 AM
islandflyer

Well said.
Rich Hanson also use the term "Traditional Modeler" in his presentation at the hearing a couple of weeks ago.
Of course, you can expect Tom and Crispy Ace to spin this too....
I just came back from the Tucson Shootout, and they must be all dumb over there too, because all of the 20 + pilots and RC business related people I spoke with are also quite upset with the AMA's path toward the Drone love affair (or rather courtship, as it is not reciprocated), and all are actively voicing their discontent with their respective AMA VP's.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm afraid it might just be too late. Seems like this whole thing is going from bad to worst.

Mike
Originally Posted by combatpigg
Funny how several years ago, only the "Tin Foil Hats" and "Chicken Littles" at this forum were talking about shunning the FPV and now it is starting to look like THE MAJORITY of recent commenters shared the same wisdom all along.
Originally Posted by islandflyer
Well said.
Rich Hanson also use the term "Traditional Modeler" in his presentation at the hearing a couple of weeks ago.
Of course, you can expect Tom and Crispy Ace to spin this too....
I just came back from the Tucson Shootout, and they must be all dumb over there too, because all of the 20 + pilots and RC business related people I spoke with are also quite upset with the AMA's path toward the Drone love affair (or rather courtship, as it is not reciprocated), and all are actively voicing their discontent with their respective AMA VP's.
Thank You guys for the support , yes indeed , Combatpigg has been right there along with myself and others calling for a distinction to be made between us VS them (traditional VS drone) from the beginning of all this and it seems the AMA has finally "seen the light" . This politically correct BS of calling us out cause we don't and won't accept this drone business as part of our hobby has led us to the very brink of what all "thinking" folks have feared from the beginning ; Being lumped in with the drones for any and all regulation they are about to be subject to !

So yes Tom , in print for all to see , we fly Traditional Model Aircraft and quite obviously , a Drone most certainly IS a separate animal alltogether .

Need proof ? Just read the most recent AMA email to hit your inbox .........
Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You guys for the support , yes indeed , Combatpigg has been right there along with myself and others calling for a distinction to be made between us VS them (traditional VS drone) from the beginning of all this and it seems the AMA has finally "seen the light" . This politically correct BS of calling us out cause we don't and won't accept this drone business as part of our hobby has led us to the very brink of what all "thinking" folks have feared from the beginning ; Being lumped in with the drones for any and all regulation they are about to be subject to !

So yes Tom , in print for all to see , we fly Traditional Model Aircraft and quite obviously , a Drone most certainly IS a separate animal alltogether .

+1.

Astro
Old 10-21-2015, 08:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Remember one persons FUN is just so much Boredom for others. Too bad so many of us "O'l Gezzers" Resist Change or if "I don't do it it ain't fun and nobody should be doing it" because it doesn't meet their definition of "FUN". Just like Congress,the FAA and many in authority, We've always done it this way, so let's codem anything new. We stand at a threshold in our Hobby/Sport, That has the real chance of destroying R/C as we know it..This is For one reason and only one reason. Government and everyone in general refuse to hold the Individual responsible for their actions. They'ed rather put limits on or eliminate all use of things that might be miss used and become hazardous to people if used incorrectly, either by lack of knowledge or out right negligence or blatant disregard for the law. Again JMHO as always.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Justice is served by punishing the many, for the transgressions of the few."

This is the guiding tenet of all our supposed "judicial systems".
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog
+1.

Astro
Again blame the "GUN" instead the person that pulled the trigger. It's the Guns fault it was used to kill. The problem is not the Quads (Drones) but the people that fly them where and when they aren't allowed to be flowen. But NO we won't educate and/or prosecute the perpetrator, we'll just ban the ownership and use of things deemed to be a hazard to the general public. Then there ar those here that would go along with anything that doesn't include them and the way they have always Flown R/C ie Traditional R/C. What U going to do when the next president uses Executive order to eliminate the 2nd amendment, And this is coming as sure as Sun Down and Sun Rise. When are we going to say Enough is Enough and stand up and be counted.
"This is my Opinion and it ain't Humble".

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-21-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:32 AM
combatpigg

Hound Dog...the Idealist Mentality is what has delivered us to where we are today, while the Realists watch the events unfold in disgust and with not much left to say to The Idealists but "I Told You So"..

At this point, the only lame excuse that The Idealists can offer in their own defense is "Well, this was going to happen no matter what we tried to do or not...so prove otherwise."
Old 10-21-2015, 09:43 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a single person here has called for a "ban" on anything.

Astro
Old 10-21-2015, 10:04 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Hound Dog...the Idealist Mentality is what has delivered us to where we are today, while the Realists watch the events unfold in disgust and with not much left to say to The Idealists but "I Told You So"..

At this point, the only lame excuse that The Idealists can offer in their own defense is "Well, this was going to happen no matter what we tried to do or not...so prove otherwise."
Did not say ""Well, this was going to happen no matter what we tried to do or not."

What I'm trying to get across to all is hat it's time to stand up and fight the masses to stop blaming a an inanimate object as a whole and put blame where it belongs on the Individual. If U feel that this is beyond the peoples capability, Well then All is LOST and we are done as a country.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Around 1790, Historian Alexander Tyler listed the 8 phases of a Democracy:

Stages of Democracy - Where's the U.S.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. From Bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;
6. From complacency to apathy;
7. From apathy to dependence;
8. From dependence back into bondage"

Where do you think present day USA falls on this list?
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 10-21-2015, 10:17 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe Traditional RC is the "devil".
Old 10-21-2015, 10:57 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by kmeyers
I believe Traditional RC is the "devil".
WOW! treading on thin Ice here but A couple of questions?
1, The Devil is in the details PLZ explain what U mean " Traditional RC is the "devil".
2. Why post here if U despise Traditional RC?
3. What R/C do U fly if any?
4 U were making a "FUNNY" with that statement RIGHT?
Old 10-21-2015, 12:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hey guys,
I'm glad some of you have found the recent comments by Hanson in line with your own thoughts in terms of what "traditional" modeling is, although I don't recall him actually defining that, just mentioning the phrase. And I'm glad that some feel their own opinions are validated by others, thereby somehow confirming their own beliefs. Great. If nothing else was accomplished it looks like some were pleased with what they heard from the AMA's Hanson in his comments. What a pleasant change. Nonetheless, here is what I had noted at the start of this thread:

But for the purposes of this thread, I'm asking, what is your opinion of "traditional RC modeling". Not looking to debate it, question it, say it wrong or right, etc etc, and hope others will do the same as well as commenting. Hoping this doesn't go the way of other threads dealing with broader issues.

Wasn't looking to debate it, second guess it, or say it was write or wrong. Was just asking for each persons opinions. Nonetheless some still took this (and still do) as a chance to inject drama into the thread. Sorry to disappoint Island, there is no spin etc forthcoming. I haven't disagreed with anyone's comments regarding the question, and don't plan to. The goal wasn't to start a whole political discussion either, nor continue a talk about rallying support for each persons opinions. It was a simple question. That's all it was.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:48 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
Not a single person here has called for a "ban" on anything.

Astro
+1 I don't want anything banned.I also don't believe registration will work either.
I also think the AMA has bit off more than it can chew on this one and it will cost us dearly.
We the traditional modeler will pay the price for a group that has no intentions of joining our ranks in the first place.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-21-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:37 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
+1 I don't want anything banned.I also don't believe registration will work either.
I also think the AMA has bit off more than it can chew on this one and it will cost us dearly.
We the traditional modeler will pay the price for a group that has no intentions of joining our ranks in the first place.

Mike
I agree 100%. I think this FAA action might tilt the EC view (representing the membership) away from what the professional AMA staff is pushing (Hansen and Mathewson)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:56 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Again blame the "GUN" instead the person that pulled the trigger. It's the Guns fault it was used to kill. The problem is not the Quads (Drones) but the people that fly them where and when they aren't allowed to be flowen. But NO we won't educate and/or prosecute the perpetrator, we'll just ban the ownership and use of things deemed to be a hazard to the general public. Then there ar those here that would go along with anything that doesn't include them and the way they have always Flown R/C ie Traditional R/C. What U going to do when the next president uses Executive order to eliminate the 2nd amendment, And this is coming as sure as Sun Down and Sun Rise. When are we going to say Enough is Enough and stand up and be counted.
"This is my Opinion and it ain't Humble".
I don't recall calling for any bans in my post , so I'm curious why you would quote MY post and then go on about banning drones ? Let me make this abundantly clear ;

I want our organization to put as much distance as possible between traditional model aircraft activities and Drone operations !

IF drones end up banned , it will NOT be as a result of any traditional model aircraft activities . But if ALL rc models end up banned , it WILL be due to the drones !

The flying camera boys will then go on to find a new hobby to ruin , and the only losers will be the true aviation hobbyist that could care less about flying cameras and were just into flight for flight's sake ......

Last edited by init4fun; 10-21-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: darned typos
Old 10-21-2015, 03:12 PM
combatpigg

I don't recall calling for any bans in my post , so I'm curious why you would quote MY post and then go on about banning drones ? Let me make this abundantly clear ;

I want our organization to put as much distance as possible between traditional model aircraft activities and Drone operations !

IF drones end up banned , it will NOT be as a result of any traditional model aircraft activities . But if ALL rc models end up banned , it WILL be due to the drones !

The flying camera boys will then go on to find a new hobby to ruin , and the only losers will be the true aviation hobbyist that could care less about flying cameras are were just into flight for flight's sake ......
This is pretty "Water Tight Logic".
I think we have only seen the "Tip of the Iceberg" as far as drone related shenanigans are concerned. I can foresee a day when the public is so fed up with it that the only way to preserve our freedom as Traditional RC Operators is to make it common knowledge that we do not advocate any sort of Drone Operations at AMA flying sites.
At some point you have to know where lines need to be drawn to avoid getting sucked into the undertow.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Frank Ts Stuff
My Feedback: (130)

I am gearing up to attend the 50th anniversary of the Rhinebeck Jamoboree, a model airplane event. I am sure you will not find a 50th anniversary for drones or helis, or RC cars or boats (well, maybe boats) anywhere anytime soon ;-)

If you are asking what "Traditional RC Modelling", the simple answer is MODEL AIRPLANES. The AMA was founded in 1936, show me another form of RC modelling that existed before then and this can become a discussion......

-Sean
Old 10-21-2015, 04:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Frank Ts Stuff
I am gearing up to attend the 50th anniversary of the Rhinebeck Jamoboree, a model airplane event. I am sure you will not find a 50th anniversary for drones or helis, or RC cars or boats (well, maybe boats) anywhere anytime soon ;-)

If you are asking what "Traditional RC Modelling", the simple answer is MODEL AIRPLANES. The AMA was founded in 1936, show me another form of RC modelling that existed before then and this can become a discussion......

-Sean

It's already a discussion, and now you're part of it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.