Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Frank Ts Stuff
My Feedback: (130)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's already a discussion, and now you're part of it. Thanks for your thoughts.
My mistake....I misread the question, I interpreted it to be a question looking for facts but I now see it is asked as an opinion poll

Why not add a poll? It can be done on this forum

Last edited by Frank Ts Stuff; 10-21-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:47 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,
I'm glad some of you have found the recent comments by Hanson in line with your own thoughts in terms of what "traditional" modeling is, although I don't recall him actually defining that, just mentioning the phrase. And I'm glad that some feel their own opinions are validated by others, thereby somehow confirming their own beliefs. Great. If nothing else was accomplished it looks like some were pleased with what they heard from the AMA's Hanson in his comments. What a pleasant change. Nonetheless, here is what I had noted at the start of this thread:

But for the purposes of this thread, I'm asking, what is your opinion of "traditional RC modeling". Not looking to debate it, question it, say it wrong or right, etc etc, and hope others will do the same as well as commenting. Hoping this doesn't go the way of other threads dealing with broader issues.

Wasn't looking to debate it, second guess it, or say it was write or wrong. Was just asking for each persons opinions. Nonetheless some still took this (and still do) as a chance to inject drama into the thread. Sorry to disappoint Island, there is no spin etc forthcoming. I haven't disagreed with anyone's comments regarding the question, and don't plan to. The goal wasn't to start a whole political discussion either, nor continue a talk about rallying support for each persons opinions. It was a simple question. That's all it was.
There is no such thing as "traditional" modeling. To ask that Question depends on what period of time U mean... This Hobby/Sport is not static. It keeps evolving and improving with technology.
Helicopters, Electric & Giant Scale planes were at one time UN traditional. I suppose a few years from know Quads will be just another phase to the R/C Tradition.

There that's my Opinion of "traditional" modeling. U Asked
Old 10-21-2015, 06:19 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
There is no such thing as "traditional" modeling. To ask that Question depends on what period of time U mean... This Hobby/Sport is not static. It keeps evolving and improving with technology.
Helicopters, Electric & Giant Scale planes were at one time UN traditional. I suppose a few years from know Quads will be just another phase to the R/C Tradition.

As with everything, without data you just have opinions.
All this is good for fun but nothing authentic will come of it.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:32 PM
psb667

I tune my planez. You can let go of the sticks and it will crash so far away youll never find it.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by psb667
I tune my planez. You can let go of the sticks and it will crash so far away youll never find it.
What an odd post.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I guess I'll voice my opinion. "Traditional" would mean either control-line, or free flight, where it all originated. RC didn't come about until some time around the early 1950's. In light of all this, I would assume that today's hobby includes first person view, and quad copters. Sorry to say this, but it's all the same sport, and everything is evolving towards more autonomous flight. So all in good time, the drones will all be included in this mix. People like the photography part of it, because they want to know how things look from "up there". I can't say I blame them.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 PM
psb667

One of the things i was always taught to do by the old schoolers was to put my name and address phone# etc in a note in my planes. This way if the radio failed there was a chance someone would call me if the plane was found.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 PM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I guess I'll voice my opinion. "Traditional" would mean either control-line, or free flight, where it all originated. RC didn't come about until some time around the early 1950's. In light of all this, I would assume that today's hobby includes first person view, and quad copters. Sorry to say this, but it's all the same sport, and everything is evolving towards more autonomous flight. So all in good time, the drones will all be included in this mix. People like the photography part of it, because they want to know how things look from "up there". I can't say I blame them.
Actually, the question is "What id traditional RC modeling, which indicates post the control line and free flight only era.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:35 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Frank Ts Stuff
My mistake....I misread the question, I interpreted it to be a question looking for facts but I now see it is asked as an opinion poll

Why not add a poll? It can be done on this forum
I find polls to be somewhat limited, depending on the question of course. Some questions work for polls, like yes or no questions, but with this one I figured there would be many different answers and I knew I wouldn't be able to get them all in poll format. I find when I'm answering polls sometimes I'm looking for "my" answer but it's not there.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog

And you answered, and now I thank you. Interesting point on the time relevancy point. I suppose anything in the past could be part of a "tradition".
Old 10-22-2015, 02:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by thepamster
What an odd post.
That's was some Jedi mind stuff being laid out there, perhaps his own version of RC hi ku.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Thanks, I would tend to agree that free flight is where it all started. Much like scale aviation, it has certainly evolved over time. Can only imagine what will be flying in the air in 80 or 100 years. Our current day stuff will look primitive.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge
As with everything, without data you just have opinions.
All this is good for fun but nothing authentic will come of it.
The question was asked to solicit an opinion, not data mine. I look at the answers and opinions as being authentic.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:44 AM
TheEdge
Banned

The question was asked to solicit an opinion, not data mine. I look at the answers and opinions as being authentic.
Its just talk, you've nothing to show for it, what have you to lose by putting up a poll, why not, you've all the time in the world and you'd at least have some data to summarize with.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

Its just talk, you've nothing to show for it, what have you to lose by putting up a poll, why not, you've all the time in the world and you'd at least have some data to summarize with.
Feel free to start your own poll and collect data to summarize.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:10 AM
islandflyer

And you answered, and now I thank you. Interesting point on the time relevancy point. I suppose anything in the past could be part of a "tradition".
I feel that quads would qualify as traditional RC modeling alreadu: modelers have been flying strange contraptions for many years.
What is not, and I hope never will be considered so is the flying of any aircraft that can fly itself, or can fly beyond line of site.
Those are drones, and not Traditional RC Modeling.
The tradition has always been that the RC pilots is on the ground, looking at the aircraft he is flying, making it (or trying to make it) do what he/she wants.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

What good is a poll? I don't care who has the majority opinion. Sometimes people who are not in the majority make more sense. I want to know why people have a certain opinion, not how many there are.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:02 AM
rcmiket

Since the people who post here are a extremely small number of modelers overall a poll would be useless. It would be the same handful of guys who have already made their opinion known. Come to think about it that goes for every other thread in the AMA forums.

Mike
Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 AM
TheEdge
Banned

Feel free to start your own poll and collect data to summarize.
Knowing you I completely expected that response, this from the man who is always calling people out for not being constructive.

I should have known better than to post at all.

When your dead, you don't know your dead, it only affects those left around you.

It's the same with Stupid.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 AM
TheEdge
Banned

Seven pages of opinions, without data all you have are opinions. Good topic for discussion but it amounts to nothing. Time spent amounting to nothing. Traditional for several of the opinionated.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
What good is a poll? I don't care who has the majority opinion. Sometimes people who are not in the majority make more sense. I want to know why people have a certain opinion, not how many there are.
Maybe a persons Poll Results could be made part of the header.
Reply Reply with Quotes
Certainly would make it easyer as to where each of us stand on an Issue.
Like to see the Forum Title in the blue line right after Day and time.

Man it's almost 8am gota get the laundry out of the dryer, take my pills, and head out to the field. Have an Ausome Day.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

Knowing you I completely expected that response, this from the man who is always calling people out for not being constructive.

I should have known better than to post at all.

When your dead, you don't know your dead, it only affects those left around you.

It's the same with Stupid.
Seven pages of opinions, without data all you have are opinions. Good topic for discussion but it amounts to nothing. Time spent amounting to nothing. Traditional for several of the opinionated.
You've now posted 3 times in this thread without answering the question, and for no other reason than to note how the discussion amounts to nothing, and to get another personal attack in. Your additions to the thread are what, helpful and constructive? I asked a question that most were able to answer, either you want to or don't, fine either way, but as I mentioned earlier, if you want a to have a thread with a poll nothing is stopping you from starting one.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by islandflyer
I feel that quads would qualify as traditional RC modeling alreadu: modelers have been flying strange contraptions for many years.
What is not, and I hope never will be considered so is the flying of any aircraft that can fly itself, or can fly beyond line of site.
Those are drones, and not Traditional RC Modeling.
The tradition has always been that the RC pilots is on the ground, looking at the aircraft he is flying, making it (or trying to make it) do what he/she wants.
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Thanks. As I noted in the OP, this was just a question, wasn't looking to show who was in the minority or majority etc. There are some questions that might lend itself to a poll questionnaire type of thread, I didn't think this was one of them.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 AM
TheEdge
Banned

You've now posted 3 times in this thread without answering the question, and for no other reason than to note how the discussion amounts to nothing, and to get another personal attack in. Your additions to the thread are what, helpful and constructive? I asked a question that most were able to answer, either you want to or don't, fine either way, but as I mentioned earlier, if you want a to have a thread with a poll nothing is stopping you from starting one.
Oh your somehow the victim of a personal attack now. Safe to assume you went reporting to Ken then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.