Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:17 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fact, not opinion.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	data opinion.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2126938  
Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 AM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on TheEdge, move along now.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 AM
TheEdge
Banned

Originally Posted by thepamster
Come on TheEdge, move along now.
Shall do, I didn't realize I was unwelcome, thanks for the heads up.
Apologies.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandflyer
I feel that quads would qualify as traditional RC modeling alreadu: modelers have been flying strange contraptions for many years.
What is not, and I hope never will be considered so is the flying of any aircraft that can fly itself, or can fly beyond line of site.
Those are drones, and not Traditional RC Modeling.
The tradition has always been that the RC pilots is on the ground, looking at the aircraft he is flying, making it (or trying to make it) do what he/she wants.
This is not only for islandflyer: but for all.
Have U ever tried FPV??? I suggest U get a buddy box a safety pilot and try it before U condemn it. It (when done properly) a blast. Haven't gotten into the Quad racing yet but have flown fixed wing with FPC. Just like being in the cockpit. I think it would be fun to do R/C Combat with FPV if it weren't so expensive to crash a lot. I can fix or build Combat planes cheaply and easily.
There are a lot of Quad and FPV haters out there but again most Hate a lot of things they haven't tried. I have a few friends that think R/C flying is neat but think I'm crazy for putting that kind of money in something that might get destroyed in an instant. I offer to put them on the budd box but they turn chicken and beg off. OH well. Just try it before U condemn something. Who knows U just may open yours eyes to some thing new . But if U don't you'll never know.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:21 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

In all fairness I don't think there is hatred or condemnation for fpv...the concern is more focused on the negative"press" the issue has brought to the hobby...as well as expense to the AMA. I agree on trying it though. I did it once on a glider set up...absolutely amazing views...took some work to land well. Depth perception and forward speed were my issues.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:51 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
In all fairness I don't think there is hatred or condemnation for fpv...the concern is more focused on the negative"press" the issue has brought to the hobby...as well as expense to the AMA. I agree on trying it though. I did it once on a glider set up...absolutely amazing views...took some work to land well. Depth perception and forward speed were my issues.
I've found when starting out Disorientation is a big problem, but so is left from right when the plane is coming at U as a student of course. No experienced pilot ever has that problem. Right?
It helps a great deal if U have have really GOOD check pilot on the Master transmitter that can save your BUTT and the plane too, of course.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:10 AM
rcmiket

We have guys flying FPV along with OSD at our field. I don't condemn it I think its pretty cool. Is it for me, No. I do appreciate the fact that my fellow club members fly AT our field and are not part of the problem. Now with that said I'm very concerned about those who have the attitude that they can do as they please and where they please with no regard for the damage they do to the hobby.
These were taken this last weekend.

Mike

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2127156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2127157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2127158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1366.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2127159  
Old 10-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

That's was some Jedi mind stuff being laid out there, perhaps his own version of RC hi ku.
OK here is a hi ku found in a USAF SAC ready room.

Motionless, sleeping
Electric flows, brain starts
Pump starts, life giving wet
Low hum, dragon exhales
Slow moving, gathering resolve
Momentary pause, tendons tight
Fast running, leap flying
Faster climbing, soaring with God

Author unknown (found in a SAC base ready room)
Old 10-23-2015, 12:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Have U ever tried FPV??? I suggest U get a buddy box a safety pilot and try it before U condemn it. It (when done properly) a blast. Haven't gotten into the Quad racing yet but have flown fixed wing with FPC. Just like being in the cockpit. I think it would be fun to do R/C Combat with FPV if it weren't so expensive to crash a lot. I can fix or build Combat planes cheaply and easily.
There are a lot of Quad and FPV haters out there but again most Hate a lot of things they haven't tried. I have a few friends that think R/C flying is neat but think I'm crazy for putting that kind of money in something that might get destroyed in an instant. I offer to put them on the budd box but they turn chicken and beg off. OH well. Just try it before U condemn something. Who knows U just may open yours eyes to some thing new . But if U don't you'll never know.
I don't condemn FPV any more than Model Rocketry.
The simple fact is neither activity can be enjoyed / explored to their fullest at the typical AMA club field and that when these activities ARE taken to their limits they can cause Federal Agencies as well as the public to demand regulations and controls to be heaped on EVERYONE who looks the least bit involved with it.
There never has been any hurry for the AMA to incorporate FPV as an officially recognised part of what they insure. The proper time would have been AFTER the inevitable FAA /DOT sanctions had been set in place instead of BEFOREHAND.
Now we find ourselves fighting GUILT BY ASSOCIATION.
If FPV gives you a thrill and you are content to fly it in accordance with AMA rules that is fine and dandy. Just remember that your ability to enjoy FPV at the AMA field comes at great expense to the rest of us.
Flying Quads LOS [line of sight] is a whole different story. Sounds like a great ratio of FUN / DOLLAR and this [by now] should NOT even be part of any discussion while talking about the FPV issue.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:39 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
We have guys flying FPV along with OSD at our field. I don't condemn it I think its pretty cool. Is it for me, No. I do appreciate the fact that my fellow club members fly AT our field and are not part of the problem. Now with that said I'm very concerned about those who have the attitude that they can do as they please and where they please with no regard for the damage they do to the hobby.
These were taken this last weekend.

Mike
Mike: Looks like the quad in pic 3 was Scratch built, Right? A friend in the AZ club has 3 3 arm Quads all scratch built with purchased parts. I don't really care to look at the same scenery of the R/C field all the time. Gets real boring. We have found a few downed planes with them. Pretty tough in 12' corn or even Soybeans but like I said we have found a few with Quads. Chasing some other plane like your going to blast him out of the sky with 8, 50 cals, or low high speed passes and landings if U have the guts. Nice to record the flights too. Some of it get's just as boring as just flying around the pattern and landing. About as watching Pattern, Imac or paint dry. There I go again trashing someones Fun. Sorry.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:11 PM
rcmiket

Mike: Looks like the quad in pic 3 was Scratch built, Right? .
Yep we got one guy who does his own design work along with cutting his own frames. That one is one of his smaller creations with tilt rotors. Pretty entertaining. The desert is really boring to watch on the OSD but it's different. Different stokes.

Mike
Old 10-23-2015, 04:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Do the arms pivot? Looks like both tilt in the same direction. Love the old school wood arms, no fancy carbon fiber there. Would seem to be great to go fast in one direction, not so easy to hover? Doesn't look traditional.....sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:39 PM
rcmiket

Do the arms pivot? Looks like both tilt in the same direction. Love the old school wood arms, no fancy carbon fiber there. Would seem to be great to go fast in one direction, not so easy to hover? Doesn't look traditional.....sorry, couldn't resist.
Yea they pivot it's a prototype he's working on. As far as "traditional" it's way far from it but that's his thing and he's one of us and not part of the problem.

Mike.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:18 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds as if you may have mistaken what Islandflyer has been saying. Never once has he condemned quads or FPV. In fact, he has acknowledged that it is cool and interesting.

The part that I disagree with; because SOME want to fly drones, and because operating drones has caused all of this public concern, ALL modelers may have to concede some of their freedoms. It is a basic fundamental and core belief of mine that it is only my RIGHT to partake in my interests if it does not affect anothers' rights. If what I want to partake in compromises someone else, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is wrong, but that I need to take responsibility to take extra measures to insure that I do not impose on others.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 PM
islandflyer

I am tired of repeating the same thing over and over for those who either misunderstand English, or those who don;t bother to properly read before commenting on my words.
I never condemn MR, or drones. They are both cool, and can even be useful in the proper context.
The MR when flown in line of sight and manually belong in the same space as helis.
The drones are not Model Aviation, and should develop and expand their own organization, as it is not Model Aviation, and therefore do not belong in the AMA.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 PM
TheEdge
Banned

I am tired of repeating the same thing over and over for those who either misunderstand English, or those who don;t bother to properly read before commenting on my words.
I never condemn MR, or drones. They are both cool, and can even be useful in the proper context.
The MR when flown in line of sight and manually belong in the same space as helis.
The drones are not Model Aviation, and should develop and expand their own organization, as it is not Model Aviation, and therefore do not belong in the AMA.
Well said, time and time again.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:04 AM
HoundDog

Sorry for ruffling your feathers ... I may not agree with your opinions but defend your right to have and say them. That being said: Quads may not be what U/we/others consider as "Traditional" modeling, But it is a valid form of R/C an as such should be recognized by the AMA for what it is. With A million Quads out there and another million coming this Xmas, we better do something to propagate the proper use of these NON Traditional R/C vehicles. I know this doesn't sit well with some AMA (I won't say Haters) but those that disapprove how the AMA spends our Dues. We all have our likes and dislikes. He[[ I despise Spectrum Radios so what. Again all these problems stem from people that don't understand the Dangers of this Hobby/Sport. We will never stop the "ROUGE' that is causing the problem, But we, By embracing Quads and getting the NON Traditional R/C flyer to understand the dangers inherent in R/C. If that's convincing them that they should join the AMA or any other Organization that provides some structure, We will eliminate much of the problem. and that is my Humble Opinion.
As for not Understanding English maybe we should all have a header to our posts that some how states what fourm it is and what our beliefs are for that forum. For us non English understanding O'L Farts with some form of short term memory ... Just saying.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:42 AM
astrohog

Sorry for ruffling your feathers ... I may not agree with your opinions but defend your right to have and say them. That being said: Quads may not be what U/we/others consider as "Traditional" modeling, But it is a valid form of R/C an as such should be recognized by the AMA for what it is. With A million Quads out there and another million coming this Xmas, we better do something to propagate the proper use of these NON Traditional R/C vehicles. I know this doesn't sit well with some AMA (I won't say Haters) but those that disapprove how the AMA spends our Dues. We all have our likes and dislikes. He[[ I despise Spectrum Radios so what. Again all these problems stem from people that don't understand the Dangers of this Hobby/Sport. We will never stop the "ROUGE' that is causing the problem, But we, By embracing Quads and getting the NON Traditional R/C flyer to understand the dangers inherent in R/C. If that's convincing them that they should join the AMA or any other Organization that provides some structure, We will eliminate much of the problem. and that is my Humble Opinion.
As for not Understanding English maybe we should all have a header to our posts that some how states what fourm it is and what our beliefs are for that forum. For us non English understanding O'L Farts with some form of short term memory ... Just saying.
I respectfully disagree.

Here's why; You said,."We will never stop the 'rogue' that is causing the problem", then you go on to say, "convincing them that they should join the AMA or any other organization [sic] We will eliminate much of the problem."

There will always be rogues. It is these rogues that have caused the uproar and grief that we are seeing. A lot of the knee-jerk reaction and legislation is due to the ignorant perception the Government and public have of the R/C community due to the rogues and droners.

If the rogues and droners are forced to join the AMA, it will be impossible for the AMA to change the public perception because the offenders will be, "one of us"

Furthermore, it is my belief that if (because) the AMA doesn't distance itself from the droners, the vast majority of us who do not want, or need (as evidenced by 80-plus years of trouble-free modeling) any regulation, will now be burdened with legislation and regulation forced onto us.

Let the droners unite and fund their own program so they can enjoy their hobby how they see fit.

BTW Hound, I see you refer to quads in your post. Quads and drones can be completely different animals and those terms should not be used interchangeably, lest they be confused as one and the same. A quad, flown within line-of-sight, without FPV is the same as a helicopter and would be considered (IMO), "traditional" r/c modeling.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-24-2015, 05:03 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog
I respectfully disagree.

Let the droners unite and fund their own program so they can enjoy their hobby how they see fit.

That would IMHO a big mistake you would increase our numbers exponentially and help educate the masses, Whose to say many might even take up the "Traditional" R/C and with that many it might cause prices to go down because of the increased sales of R/C Equipment.

BTW Hound, I see you refer to quads in your post. Quads and drones can be completely different animals and those terms should not be used interchangeably, lest they be confused as one and the same.

A quad, flown within line-of-sight, without FPV is the same as a helicopter and would be considered (IMO), "traditional" r/c modeling.
Sorry but The FAA/NTSB.Public don't see it that way.
Better yet Just "BAN" the little suckers in all of the USA .... Then BAN Guns knives base ball bats motor cycles and Cars too they kill thousands. Does that make any sense. Now tell me U din't say anything about Banning anything ... Just for the record the FAA considers any unmanned Flying vehicle a "DRONE".

Holy Man it's 6am and I gota SS&S take my Pills and head out to the Field. We are having the 1/8 Air Force Fly in today and i got work. Been up since 4 bet I sleep good tonight.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:44 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Traditional? In my opinion it is building a kit over the plans using CA or tite-bond wood glue, sanding it, covering it etc. The power was provided by an engine and the radios were so very expensive. A person would spend several months building and acquiring the parts to make one fly. It is a passion one has. I still am a traditional builder/flyer who started very young with control line flying because that is what my dad did...and it was very fun. The next thing I knew was that I was trying to fly radio controlled airplanes and crashing them...over and over again and again...there were no R/C simulators back then either...neither were there computers.

Traditional? Use some silver solder to fabricate the cabane and "N" struts on a biplane. Bend the landing gear and hand carve a pilot. Become an artist at shaping wood with a sanding block. Pique the imagination and overcome obstacles using innovation and creativity. Cover an airplane in super coverite or stits lite cloth and cut some rib stitching from graph paper with sewing thread glued to it and then go to the beauty shop and buy some pinking tape to cover it. I think this is what traditional modeling and R/C flying is all about.

There was no such things as ARF's or foam or electric motors that were light enough or powerful enough to fly the airplanes at the time. I crashed 9 R/C planes before someone noticed and showed my how. I was driven to do this hobby. I don't know why but I am glad because there is nothing more rewarding than doing it the way I do it. screen trim wood for a screen door was hogged out using a router which left the cavity to house the music wire. I just couldn't see using balsa for this because of the vibration from the 50 cc engine. I consider this traditional.

Peace, Steve

Name:	PJ-Nstrut6.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	2127294   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-Nstrut7.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	2127295   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-nstrut8.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	2127296  
Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 AM
rcmiket

We are having the 1/8 Air Force Fly in today and i got work.
I gotta make that one one of these days. I've heard great things about those guys.

Mike
Old 10-24-2015, 07:56 AM
astrohog

Better yet Just "BAN" the little suckers in all of the USA .... Then BAN Guns knives base ball bats motor cycles and Cars too they kill thousands. Does that make any sense. Now tell me U din't say anything about Banning anything ... Just for the record the FAA considers any unmanned Flying vehicle a "DRONE".

Holy Man it's 6am and I gota SS&S take my Pills and head out to the Field. We are having the 1/8 Air Force Fly in today and i got work. Been up since 4 bet I sleep good tonight.
I have obviously failed to make my points clear to you.

In any case, I have never mentioned banning anything. Quads, drones, FPV, helicopters, rockets, trains, boats, motorcycles, guns....heck, I like em all!

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-24-2015, 03:10 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog
I have obviously failed to make my points clear to you.

In any case, I have never mentioned banning anything. Quads, drones, FPV, helicopters, rockets, trains, boats, motorcycles, guns....heck, I like em all!

Regards,

Astro
Astro Astro Astro It was Sarcasm and the part "Now tell me U din't say anything about Banning anything" was so No One would come back saying they never said BAN anything. Sorry but I can't put a Verbal inflection in my posts yet.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:19 PM
HoundDog

Anyone noticed that after U have made a Post and jump to the next thread from an Email post that was later than the one U just posted about U are unable to go to the new post in the Email from RCU.Though U want to go to the Post someone maid and RCU sent U the URL it jumps right to the end where Your last post went. Hope U get the jist.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve S. Helland
Traditional? In my opinion it is building a kit over the plans using CA or tite-bond wood glue, sanding it, covering it etc. The power was provided by an engine and the radios were so very expensive. A person would spend several months building and acquiring the parts to make one fly. It is a passion one has. I still am a traditional builder/flyer who started very young with control line flying because that is what my dad did...and it was very fun. The next thing I knew was that I was trying to fly radio controlled airplanes and crashing them...over and over again and again...there were no R/C simulators back then either...neither were there computers.

Traditional? Use some silver solder to fabricate the cabane and "N" struts on a biplane. Bend the landing gear and hand carve a pilot. Become an artist at shaping wood with a sanding block. Pique the imagination and overcome obstacles using innovation and creativity. Cover an airplane in super coverite or stits lite cloth and cut some rib stitching from graph paper with sewing thread glued to it and then go to the beauty shop and buy some pinking tape to cover it. I think this is what traditional modeling and R/C flying is all about.

There was no such things as ARF's or foam or electric motors that were light enough or powerful enough to fly the airplanes at the time. I crashed 9 R/C planes before someone noticed and showed my how. I was driven to do this hobby. I don't know why but I am glad because there is nothing more rewarding than doing it the way I do it. screen trim wood for a screen door was hogged out using a router which left the cavity to house the music wire. I just couldn't see using balsa for this because of the vibration from the 50 cc engine. I consider this traditional.

Peace, Steve
Thanks Steve, great work there, very nice plane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.