Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thepamster
Here are some drone flyers that are apparently deep in the legalities of radio control airplanes and per them drones are all radio controled aircraft. Not just quads. Also the FAA does not even use the term, so it is actually moot. To them they are all sUAV.

Forgot the link, here it is

http://www.aeriographer.com/tired-pe...w-really-isnt/

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 10-26-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hound Dog, are you saying that I can't buy a ARTF / RTF Quad that works off standard RC gear...?

I'm not questioning the commercial pilot's honesty....I'm just genuinely curious about what YOU have seen down your way with what should be tens of thousands of these things zooming around in every state by now.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:25 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Here are some drone flyers that are apparently deep in the legalities of radio control airplanes and per them drones are all radio controled aircraft. Not just quads. Also the FAA does not even use the term, so it is actually moot. To them they are all sUAV.

Forgot the link, here it is

http://www.aeriographer.com/tired-pe...w-really-isnt/
Interesting article, March 2014. I like how it started with "For the purposes of this website, the word drone refers to the remote-controlled model aircraft variety".
Interestingly I don't consider drones model aircraft either. They are not models of anything. They are tools. They are drones.
I am fine with my model airplanes being called sUAVs because that is what they are, but they are note drones.
In my opinion traditional model aviation is any "model" in aviation that you enjoy.
So what is a "model" you ask.......
......Porcia?????

Last edited by thepamster; 10-26-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Removed a sentence that didn't make any sense.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 PM
combatpigg

To make the question posed at this AMA Forum an AMA Topic, the gist of the question ought to be centered on, "What IS Traditional Radio Control" instead of asking, "What is Traditional RC Modeling".
The MODELING questions belong in the BUILDER's Forums.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:03 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
To make the question posed at this AMA Forum an AMA Topic, the gist of the question ought to be centered on, "What IS Traditional Radio Control" instead of asking, "What is Traditional RC Modeling".
Feel free to start your own thread in the builders forum.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Interesting article, March 2014. I like how it started with "For the purposes of this website, the word drone refers to the remote-controlled model aircraft variety".
Interestingly I don't consider drones model aircraft either. They are not models of anything. They are tools. They are drones.
I am fine with my model airplanes being called sUAVs because that is what they are, but they are note drones.
In my opinion traditional model aviation is any "model" in aviation that you enjoy.
......Porcia?????
"model" can be many things to many people, just as the word "drone" is. I suppose a "drone" could actually be built to replicate a real "scale" aircraft of some type, would it then be considered a "model"?

Here are some "models" of fictional things:

Here is a pretty unique "model", or flying contraption, or whatever:

http://www.haddadrc.com/

Here is the website for the guy. some truly bizarre stuff this guy builds. Could be be a considered a builder of models, engaged in traditional modeling? I suspect some would say yes, and some would say no.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	startwars2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	2127871   Click image for larger version

Name:	starwars.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	2127872   Click image for larger version

Name:	surfer.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	2127873   Click image for larger version

Name:	flying-table-rc-remote-control-plane-haddadrc.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	2127874  

Last edited by porcia83; 10-27-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

......Porcia?????
Let me ask this question. I a flying Lawnmower, dog house, Witch, Supper man or Pizza box "Traditional" Modeling? I say it's not traditional but it is still a form of R/C flying just the same.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Just a mater of "SEMANTICS". Many replies belong some where else but just who really cares it all about ranting just to be heard. Just like this post there Mr. CPiggy
Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 AM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Let me ask this question. I a flying Lawnmower, dog house, Witch, Supper man or Pizza box "Traditional" Modeling? I say it's not traditional but it is still a form of R/C flying just the same.
If you are flying in direct view, line of sight, and moving the sticks (not GPS/autopilot driven), yes! It is traditional RC flying. Modelers have been flying all kinds of strange contraptions for a very, very long time.

On the other hand, drone flying with FVP, beyond line of site, GPS/autopilot driven all started outside of RC Modeling, and is still mostly used outside Aeromodeling, as in Military, Spying, Aerial Photography, Industrial, Commercial, Firefighting, etc. applications.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:55 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by islandflyer
If you are flying in direct view, line of sight, and moving the sticks (not GPS/autopilot driven), yes! It is traditional RC flying. Modelers have been flying all kinds of strange contraptions for a very, very long time.

On the other hand, drone flying with FVP, beyond line of site, GPS/autopilot driven all started outside of RC Modeling, and is still mostly used outside Aeromodeling, as in Military, Spying, Aerial Photography, Industrial, Commercial, Firefighting, etc. applications.
"drone flying with FVP, NOT beyond line of site, but still GPS/autopilot driven"
Will before long become part of the "Traditional" R/C modeling just as Turbines, Heliss and Flying dog houses, Witches, lawnmowers ect are accepted to day as traditional.. The trouble with Tradition is only OLD Farts know (or think they do ) know what their definition of Traditional R/C or any modeling is. Proof, Just look at back at all the different comments made and all the diverse opinions on the subject. Traditional changes as time marches on, what is tradition today will be different tomorrow. JMHO
Old 10-27-2015, 07:58 AM
thepamster

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I have seen many of those "models" fly, mostly back in the '80s. I would say traditional indeed.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by airega1
Traditonal is anything but the 16 year old backwards hat wearing arrogant teenager with his quad and fpv glasses, who don't even know what an airfoil does let alone what it is, smirking and rolling his eyes at your prize and joy.
There I've said it and I'm glad I did!

Heck I dont even under stand an airfoild dose, Well actuly I do, but I dont understand how these flat foam planes fly with no airfoil.

Traditional RC was eplanded to me, is when you build something out of wood, and make it fly.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

This was also a popular way of RC modeling at one time.
Courtesy of Joe Hunt D.O.D. (now silent)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=78
Old 10-29-2015, 03:55 AM
islandflyer

Interesting conversation today with the driver who picked up planes for customers (not the usual driver who was off):

- Driver: (looking at some un-boxed planes) "these are nice! That is really cool. Is that what you are shipping?"
- Me: "yes, those are for customers."
- Driver: "What do you think of all those drones?"
- Me: " I think they are cool, but that is not what we do"
- Driver: "They might be cool, but my neighbor is into those, and I shot his down".
- Me: " Really? Why?"
- Driver: " He flew it down right over and around my house. I warned him no to do this, but he did it again. I knew he could see me with his camera, and I waved at it to go away, but he just circled me. I went in the house, got my shotgun, and took it out. He complained I destroyed a $3,000 machine, but I reminded him he was warned and ignored it".
- Me: "you know there was a story like this in the news before, and the shooter was found at fault in a complaint?.
- Driver: "yes, but not in Florida: in Polk County, another guy got sued for a shooting like that, and the drone owner was found at fault for violating what Florida calls personal space. I like watching model airplanes; you guys are cool, and when I see them flying at the field I stop and watch. But those drones are trouble! You guys need to do something about them, because they are giving you guys a bad name".

I could not help notice how even this guy with a modest level of education and sophistication can intuitively see the different between Model Aviation and Drones.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

You didn't get a chance to ask him what his opinion of traditional RC modeling was?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:52 AM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by porcia83
You didn't get a chance to ask him what his opinion of traditional RC modeling was?
No, we were both busy doing our respective work, and the conversation was quite short. It was however quite transparent in his comments that drones are not part of it to him...
Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by islandflyer
Interesting conversation today with the driver who picked up planes for customers (not the usual driver who was off):

- Driver: (looking at some un-boxed planes) "these are nice! That is really cool. Is that what you are shipping?"
- Me: "yes, those are for customers."
- Driver: "What do you think of all those drones?"
- Me: " I think they are cool, but that is not what we do"
- Driver: "They might be cool, but my neighbor is into those, and I shot his down".
- Me: " Really? Why?"
- Driver: " He flew it down right over and around my house. I warned him no to do this, but he did it again. I knew he could see me with his camera, and I waved at it to go away, but he just circled me. I went in the house, got my shotgun, and took it out. He complained I destroyed a $3,000 machine, but I reminded him he was warned and ignored it".
- Me: "you know there was a story like this in the news before, and the shooter was found at fault in a complaint?.
- Driver: "yes, but not in Florida: in Polk County, another guy got sued for a shooting like that, and the drone owner was found at fault for violating what Florida calls personal space. I like watching model airplanes; you guys are cool, and when I see them flying at the field I stop and watch. But those drones are trouble! You guys need to do something about them, because they are giving you guys a bad name".

I could not help notice how even this guy with a modest level of education and sophistication can intuitively see the different between Model Aviation and Drones.
Yup ao UNsuficiated ... The same people that believe that Guns.Knives, Hammers, Bats, Cars & Elephants Kill People. People Kill People. Idiots flying R/C that don't adhere to the Rules Kill/Hurt/Maim them selves and others. We must get the government (DOT/FAA) to prosecute
the individual not condemn every R/C Toy.

Google this"

man decapitates self with RC helicopter way too many to posst each.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=man+decapitates+self+with+RC+helicopter
Old 10-29-2015, 03:42 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by porcia83
"model" can be many things to many people, just as the word "drone" is. I suppose a "drone" could actually be built to replicate a real "scale" aircraft of some type, would it then be considered a "model"?

Here are some "models" of fictional things:

Here is a pretty unique "model", or flying contraption, or whatever:

http://www.haddadrc.com/

Here is the website for the guy. some truly bizarre stuff this guy builds. Could be be a considered a builder of models, engaged in traditional modeling? I suspect some would say yes, and some would say no.
Traditional modeling is a builder's topic.
Traditional Radio Control as it pertains to this AMA forum is what differentiates MY hobby from the hobby of flying drones.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

As it pertains to this AMA forum, my question was what is traditional RC modeling. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

I am disappointed that this forum thread turned into a discussion about drones.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Steve S. Helland
It's getting to the point where everything is about the "drones". Which IMO are not remotely even close to "traditional R/C Modeling".
Old 10-30-2015, 09:11 AM
islandflyer

Sometime, expressing what something is not is part of defining what it actually is.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

It hasn't gone to far off the path, there are other threads for that. To some degree "drones" might be someones actual traditional rc modeling experience at this point, who knows.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:33 PM
HoundDog

Let me ask a question ... Do U fly Electric foam planes or just conventional balsa and ply construction? I wouldn't call anything but balsa. ply.Monocoat. & Glo traditional. Bit then it's JMHO. For what that's worth.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

I do not fly anything foam. All my planes are built up. I encourage you to look at my hangar pictures. I must admit though, I did try one of those RC Universe flat outs and it was fun for awhile but it did not hold up to the "stresses" and folded up in a high-G knife edge loop. Of course it could have been one of my glue joints that let go... I never flew it at the club and wore a disguise when flying it at the school yard so nobody would recognize me. Honestly! It wasn't me...it was the one armed man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.