Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

"Traditional RC Modeling" and "Traditional Radio Control Flying" are two [2] different things.
The subject of what is traditional radio control {RC} flying is relevant to this AMA forum ONLY because of a perceived need by some to define WHAT is traditional RC [remote control] flying to distinguish what WE do as opposed to what DRONE FLYING is..
The subject of "What is traditional modeling" has no relevance at this AMA forum.
Modeling is about scaling, engineering, craftsmanship, artistry and creativity. These attributes transcend tradition.

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-31-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:42 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
"Traditional RC Modeling" and "Traditional Radio Control Flying" are two [2] different things.
The subject of what is traditional radio control {RC} flying is relevant to this AMA forum ONLY because of a perceived need by some to define WHAT is traditional RC [remote control] flying to distinguish what WE do as opposed to what DRONE FLYING is..
The subject of "What is traditional modeling" has no relevance at this AMA forum.
Modeling is about scaling, engineering, craftsmanship, artistry and creativity. These attributes transcend tradition.
And yet you repeatedly respond in this thread. Why again haven't you started your own thread on what is relevant in the AMA forum?
Old 10-31-2015, 12:43 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

This makes sense.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Then feel free....here's where you can start your own thread and make the questions relevant, meaningful, and data rich.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/

Old 10-31-2015, 12:52 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Then feel free....here's where you can start your own thread and make the questions relevant, meaningful, and data rich.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/

Tom, there's no need to throw your toys out the pram each time someone says something you don't like.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Merely a helpful suggestion, sorry you see it as a negative. Since there are two folks here who consistently repeat the same complaints, (lack of relevance, lack of data), just thought it a natural thing to do to suggest they start their own threads, and get all the info they seek.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:59 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Sure you are Tom that's exactly how it looks
Old 10-31-2015, 01:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well, I guess I'm happy we agree on something then.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:16 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Good Tom, I don' want to see you unhappy, I'm going to put your toys back in the pram now ok.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:39 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never heard of a pram before. I had to look that one up, and still not sure that makes any sense.
At least Porcia he didn't give you a regional statistic that attempts to degrade an entire group of society.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:40 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Glad you got a little wiser Pam, stick around.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thepamster
I never heard of a pram before. I had to look that one up, and still not sure that makes any sense.
At least Porcia he didn't give you a regional statistic that attempts to degrade an entire group of society.
If the shoe fits..........what is degrading about the truth...?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 PM
thepamster

If the shoe fits..........what is degrading about the truth...?
Oh yeah, the shoe fits alright. Lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:47 AM
TheEdge
Banned

Default Well what do yo know

Look who we have here then
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	slipper.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	2128605  
Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

OK , now back to the question, What is Traditional Modeling?

To me, I see it as a fun hobby, cutting parts from scratch to make an airplane that can fly. As a kid, I enjoyed smelling the fresh cut balsa wood, gluing it together, the aroma of dope applied to the covering, and seeing it fly. Started out with CL, crashed a lot, got dizzy, so gave it up after about a year.
About 30 years later got back into it, had an old FM Kraft radio I think, back then I used brown and white for my frequency. Started into building RC planes from kits, did not have AFR's then. Built 2 Kaos planes with .60 glow engines, no mufflers then either, just straight out the exhaust port.
Crashed both of them in about 2 years, and got out of the hobby, to expensive!

Now I get back into it 35 years later, spend a bundle,and I mean a lot of money, now I am having fun again in retirement, building planes and flying again. That my version of Traditional Modeling.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 11-12-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks for your comments!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 AM
rcmiket

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Mike

Name:	IMG_1437.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2131408  
Old 11-19-2015, 06:14 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
What's traditional today a box of balsa sticks or the 2 ARF's shown in the Pic? If there was only Traditional R/C (No ARF's) There'd be a lot fewer AMA members and flyers in general. The days of the beginner, Newbie, Spending months/years building his dream model & crashing it on the first attempted flight is OVER. Traditional today is learn to fly first then learn to build, if U are lucky enough to have the skills. Just saying Traditions (The old ways) change with the times and become New Traditions.

p.s. Did the box of sticks sell?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 AM
rcmiket

Never said ARF's were bad and understand that there are great for the hobby. With that said. the skills required to build gives someone the skills and knowledge required to set up and repair a model. Skills that are slowly being lost. I see it everyday guys who can repair a simple issue.

Mike
Old 11-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Never said ARF's were bad and understand that there are great for the hobby. With that said. the skills required to build gives someone the skills and knowledge required to set up and repair a model. Skills that are slowly being lost. I see it everyday guys who can repair a simple issue.

Mike
More often I see guys who can't. Worth raiding the garbage can after these guys leave the field.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:53 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Mike

[QUOTE=Sport_Pilot;12129351]More often I see guys who can't. Worth raiding the garbage can after these guys leave the field.
[/QUOTE]
Just saying Not everyone has the skills (and never will) it takes to put a box of sticks together and end up with something that resembles a plane, Much less will even fly. Been working wih a gentleman under the AMA's Intro Pilot Program. Long storry short had a 40 year old plae he bought 20 years ago. Well he has neither the skill Parts or knowledge to get it flying. Bu he is willing to sit and watch me do it. One thing is he's the most patient man I've ever helped and he holds the plane verry well when I'm working on it.
After about 4 days of working on it he's got about 30 seconds on the sticks. But U just can't tell some one that their Piece of Crap is a Peice of Crap. So U do your best not to discourge the person that wouldn't/can't do it for them selves to start. Eventually the get , most of the time.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Mike

[QUOTE=Sport_Pilot;12129351]More often I see guys who can't. Worth raiding the garbage can after these guys leave the field.
Just saying Not everyone has the skills (and never will) it takes to put a box of sticks together and end up with something that resembles a plane, Much less will even fly. Been working wih a gentleman under the AMA's Intro Pilot Program. Long storry short had a 40 year old plae he bought 20 years ago. Well he has neither the skill Parts or knowledge to get it flying. Bu he is willing to sit and watch me do it. One thing is he's the most patient man I've ever helped and he holds the plane verry well when I'm working on it.
After about 4 days of working on it he's got about 30 seconds on the sticks. But U just can't tell some one that their Piece of Crap is a Peice of Crap. So U do your best not to discourge the person that wouldn't/can't do it for them selves to start. Eventually the get , most of the time.
[/QUOTE]

There's always a exception in every bunch. Most all the builders I know are also accomplished in in all areas of the hobby. I do know a few builders who are excellent craftsman but terrible flyers but still have a understanding of the hobby and what makes things work. I've worked with a few guys who can't even figure out how to plug servo leads in because they don't know the difference between + and -
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-19-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Kindling? Or the foamies?

What's in the box?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:44 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Kindling? Or the foamies?

What's in the box?
1/4 scale SE5A .

Mike

Name:	IMG_1438.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2131466   Click image for larger version

Name:	boilse5b.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	2131468  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Very nice...met those folks up at the NEAT Fair this year, they had some nice stuff. Above my abilities for now...someday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.