Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
1/4 scale SE5A .

Mike
I saw a 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup with my son when he was about 5. I suggested he climb in and take a ride, he could have fit in too. He thought I was serious and ran back to the car!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:26 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1/4 scale SE5A .

Mike

ahh balsa USA. Did you already have one of these? WWI planes are harder to fly than they look, I mean to make them look realistic in the air.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:16 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Very nice...met those folks up at the NEAT Fair this year, they had some nice stuff. Above my abilities for now...someday.
Nicest bunch I've ever dealt with. They have supported every charity event we have held. True supporters of the hobby and local clubs.

Mike
Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
ahh balsa USA. Did you already have one of these? WWI planes are harder to fly than they look, I mean to make them look realistic in the air.
Did their 1/4 scale N-28 a few years back what a fun airplane. There not hard at all you just need to slow everything down and remember that they are not F-16's or Extras.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EPRC Ray Hall 2012 043.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2131475   Click image for larger version

Name:	EPRC Ray Hall 2012.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	2131476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2131477  
Old 11-19-2015, 09:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did their 1/4 scale N-28 a few years back what a fun airplane. There not hard at all you just need to slow everything down and remember that they are not F-16's or Extras.

Mike
Nice N28. Check your 6, you got one behind you! lol

Name:	581442_10201685798611112_1616776866_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	2131549  
Old 11-20-2015, 12:08 AM
thepamster

Well there you have it. That's all we have this evening on What is Traditional RC.
Well be back tomorrow with more interesting stuff.
Good night.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:03 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace

Beautiful!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by thepamster
Well there you have it. That's all we have this evening on What is Traditional RC.
Well be back tomorrow with more interesting stuff.
Good night.
Aren't you supposed to kick it over to Brad for sports, or Amy for weather before signing off
Old 11-20-2015, 04:53 AM
rcmiket

Nice work I have a friend who's just finishing up a 1/4 BUSA Dr1 How does yours ground handle all the Dr1's I've seen have been a handful on the ground.

Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 05:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Mike
You win, yours is bigger!

A guys gotta start somewhere though.

Name:	IMG_20151120_083852672.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2131579  
Old 11-20-2015, 05:59 AM
rcmiket

You win, yours is bigger!

A guys gotta start somewhere though.

Cool looks like fun.

Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 06:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Cool looks like fun.

Mike

I did this one first to get my fingers wet and acclimated to the build process

I look at the other one with some dread and skepticism. I have to at least try it once.

Name:	41kvaPMoWaL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	2131584  
Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

That would be small enough to avoid registration!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
LOL

Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Well boys today's the day ... Bet the FAA nutten it's only a recommendation on registration.
we'll Find out later to day. Any one know how long the FA has to Implement anything concerning Registration? Hope they keep up their track record of Procrastination.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Well boys today's the day ... Bet the FAA nutten it's only a recommendation on registration.
we'll Find out later to day. Any one know how long the FA has to Implement anything concerning Registration? Hope they keep up their track record of Procrastination.
Look for info tomorrow. I doubt fixed wing will be in there. Keep in Mind this is going to be a process..this was but one step. Don't look for clarity or for finality any time soon.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM
rcmiket

https://www.transportation.gov/fastl...ng%20to-step-2

Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 11:12 AM
vertical grimmace

Nice work I have a friend who's just finishing up a 1/4 BUSA Dr1 How does yours ground handle all the Dr1's I've seen have been a handful on the ground.

Mike
They seem to handle fine off of grass. We have a paved runway though, and most of them are in CO as it is pretty much a desert here. So when I take it to warbird meets I am relegated to blacktop. It is nice if you have a good headwind for take off. Keeps it straight. This is my second one. For some reason the first one was easier on the ground. The landings are always tricky. The wing tips almost always touch.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for info tomorrow. I doubt fixed wing will be in there. Keep in Mind this is going to be a process..this was but one step. Don't look for clarity or for finality any time soon.
I really hope you are right, but I have not seen any attempt by the involved parties to differentiate fixed-wing, MR, or drones up to this point, so I will not hold my breath. I hope I am pleasantly surprised (comment added to differentiate my opinion from, "doom and gloom").

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

They seem to handle fine off of grass. We have a paved runway though, and most of them are in CO as it is pretty much a desert here. So when I take it to warbird meets I am relegated to blacktop. It is nice if you have a good headwind for take off. Keeps it straight. This is my second one. For some reason the first one was easier on the ground. The landings are always tricky. The wing tips almost always touch.
The GP DR 1 was an easy flyer. A bit odd in the air with some quirks but took off and landed like a trainer. It would taxi well on the ground but you really had to be proactive on the runway. That is anticipate the tail swinging too wide before it actually does. But once it is going straight and the tail is up it is not a problem even on the paved runway. But boy does it do small loops. And it turns so fast I can hardly turn my head fast enough to keep it in view!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
I really hope you are right, but I have not seen any attempt by the involved parties to differentiate fixed-wing, MR, or drones up to this point, so I will not hold my breath. I hope I am pleasantly surprised (comment added to differentiate my opinion from, "doom and gloom").

Regards,

Astro

I hope we are all pleasantly surprised, I really do. Less work and hassle for all of us. When I look at the what has been written and discussed by the powers that be, they deal almost exclusively with "drones", namely the MR's, not once have I seen heli or fixed wing mentioned. Hopefully the language will be specific enough to exclude fixed wing, but we'll have to wait and see. If we are still required to register as just a pilot regardless of what we fly, I'll have no issues with that. I see what we do as a privilege, not a right, small price to pay.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:52 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog

Regards,

Astro
I haven't seen anything either as far as a definition of what is to be registered and what does not. Every thread on the subject has some that think they will and some that think they won't. All I'm seeing is " owners of small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to register their aircraft" even the AMA correspondence " AMA intends to make our views explicitly clear in these final recommendations and we will continue to advocate for our members to be exempt from registration if the final recommendations state otherwise. And once this information is made public, we will also be able to more openly and publicly address the registration proposal."

Now to some this is "dome and gloom" to me it's a reasonable expectation that were all lumped together.
I also hope I'm wrong.
Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 02:00 PM
vertical grimmace

The GP DR 1 was an easy flyer. A bit odd in the air with some quirks but took off and landed like a trainer. It would taxi well on the ground but you really had to be proactive on the runway. That is anticipate the tail swinging too wide before it actually does. But once it is going straight and the tail is up it is not a problem even on the paved runway. But boy does it do small loops. And it turns so fast I can hardly turn my head fast enough to keep it in view!
I have been told by some that owned the GP Fokker, that the axle wing had some crazy positive incidence set in it stock. I guess this had a big effect. The BUSA version has this set at 0, and in the air, it flies very nice. My latest one likes you to initiate the turn with rudder, and co-ordinate with aileron. Opposite of what we do generally. Otherwise it skids in the turns. Tripes are a blast to fly though, and the spins are spectacular.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Here's my answer to the request for comment from the FAA.

Registration is useless those that won't/don't register are the ones that will/are causeing the trouble. Registration is useless with out passing a computer test to prove U have the Knowledge to safely fly in the NAS. To fly a sUAS any where but a designated sUAS flying area one should be required to possed a license to fly said sUAS issued by the FAA or a certified CBO flight instructor.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:06 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Here's my answer to the request for comment from the FAA.

Registration is useless those that won't/don't register are the ones that will/are causeing the trouble. Registration is useless with out passing a computer test to prove U have the Knowledge to safely fly in the NAS. To fly a sUAS any where but a designated sUAS
flying area one should be required to possed a license to fly said sUAS issued by the FAA or a certified CBO flight instructor.
HD, I usually agree with your posts, but your suggestion would never happen IMO. First, it would be like a bank robber going down to the police station to register the gun he going to use to hold up the bank??
Never gonna happen. The FAA and CBO Flight Instructors won't sign off on that anyway. Why would they?
The clowns will still fly them, creating havoc for all of us, no matter what the FAA, AMA or any other organized organization does to prevent these actions. It will still happen just like all the other crimes have, with all the regulations.
Unless somebody gets real teeth and does something, make it worth thinking about before doing it, it's a waste of time in my opinion,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.