Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Krumpel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The term "Traditional Modeling" would seem to refer to the "traditional skills" involved with modeling. A modicum of building, some understanding of the processes involved in flight and the ability to apply aforementioned skill-set to the successful flight of a radio controlled model. The industry seems to be moving away from this template. So be it. Those of us that think of ourselves as "Traditional" need to get over it. We are a dying breed and that is unlikely to change.

It does seem that the current industry model is oriented toward those with a few $$$ and some X-BOX skills. Not hard to find in today's crop of youngsters.

Mores the pity. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:09 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by porcia83
I did this one first to get my fingers wet and acclimated to the build process

I look at the other one with some dread and skepticism. I have to at least try it once.
I had 3 of them, crashed all 3 .
Old 11-20-2015, 03:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
HD, I usually agree with your posts, but your suggestion would never happen IMO. First, it would be like a bank robber going down to the police station to register the gun he going to use to hold up the bank??
Never gonna happen. The FAA and CBO Flight Instructors won't sign off on that anyway. Why would they?
The clowns will still fly them, creating havoc for all of us, no matter what the FAA, AMA or any other organized organization does to prevent these actions. It will still happen just like all the other crimes have, with all the regulations.
Unless somebody gets real teeth and does something, make it worth thinking about before doing it, it's a waste of time in my opinion,
That is what I've been saying ... It should be like getting a drivers license or a motor cycle endorsement. With only registration and no consequences for not registering and consequences if the catch U Well it's all a study in futility. Registration with ot education will do nothing for the problem.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Krumpel
The term "Traditional Modeling" would seem to refer to the "traditional skills" involved with modeling. A modicum of building, some understanding of the processes involved in flight and the ability to apply aforementioned skill-set to the successful flight of a radio controlled model. The industry seems to be moving away from this template. So be it. Those of us that think of ourselves as "Traditional" need to get over it. We are a dying breed and that is unlikely to change.

It does seem that the current industry model is oriented toward those with a few $$$ and some X-BOX skills. Not hard to find in today's crop of youngsters.

Mores the pity. Just my $0.02 worth.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
I had 3 of them, crashed all 3 .
Damn CG on those things....a mm off and it's doomed!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 PM
thepamster

Welcome back to What Is Traditional RC Modeling.
Here is my first built up plane, that required glue. Lol.
From the early 70s, for me anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Those are great. My club hosted some cub scouts and we gave each of them one of these and started to help them build them. These are cool little planes! So easy even a caveman could do it.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I have been told by some that owned the GP Fokker, that the axle wing had some crazy positive incidence set in it stock. I guess this had a big effect. The BUSA version has this set at 0, and in the air, it flies very nice. My latest one likes you to initiate the turn with rudder, and co-ordinate with aileron. Opposite of what we do generally. Otherwise it skids in the turns. Tripes are a blast to fly though, and the spins are spectacular.
The GP version is only simi scale. The rudder is larger the fuse from CG to tail slightly longer and nose slightly longer as well. This makes it handle a bit better on the ground and on landing and take off. I should have mentioned that. The landing gear wing has little effect, you can hardly tell the difference with it off.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:40 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

What has been left out of the answers so far is a reference to "traditional rc modeling" as a family hobby. If you havent seen a vintage b/w video clip about modeling showing modelers, or even the audience, dressed up with neckties or the father driving with the son standing on the sideboard of the car heading out to retrieve his model. Not sure if that reference includes free flite or r/c only in any case it is of an era where 'values' mattered and we paid attention to the rules.
The best part of this clip is towards the end.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675087

Last edited by rafeeki; 11-21-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks for your comments, great stuff, as is the video! Was at my club today and a new family was there that had joined. Well, most of the family. Mom brought her two kids down to the field to get some help getting a nitro motor to start, dad had to work. Within 10 minutes there were 3 guys helping out, trying to diagnosis the problem and get them squared away. A great sight to see on many levels.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:02 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

That is very nice to hear, its one of the rewards of this enjoyable hobby is helping others.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Thanks for your comments, great stuff, as is the video! Was at my club today and a new family was there that had joined. Well, most of the family. Mom brought her two kids down to the field to get some help getting a nitro motor to start, dad had to work. Within 10 minutes there were 3 guys helping out, trying to diagnosis the problem and get them squared away. A great sight to see on many levels.
That happened at our club this summer. A good lok'in Mom with 4 kids all under 11 the boy and his 3 sisters. Anyway got all kinds of help, the Mom that is. The kid can already fly. Next time she brought here Husband who turned out to be a full time Air Guard
F-16 pilot who flew out of Madison WI. Very interesting guy to talk with. Just say'n ya gota watch out for dirty O'l men that play with Toy Airplanes.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
That happened at our club this summer. A good lok'in Mom with 4 kids all under 11 the boy and his 3 sisters. Anyway got all kinds of help, the Mom that is. The kid can already fly. Next time she brought here Husband who turned out to be a full time Air Guard
F-16 pilot who flew out of Madison WI. Very interesting guy to talk with. Just say'n ya gota watch out for dirty O'l men that play with Toy Airplanes.
So in other words....all of them!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by thepamster
Welcome back to What Is Traditional RC Modeling.
Here is my first built up plane, that required glue. Lol.
From the early 70s, for me anyway.
Some of my best memories come from building small balsa planes like this years before I could afford RC. I built a delta wing model about 20 cm wide and 30cm long and strapped small fireworks to the back as a rocket engine.

Lighting the wick then hand launching. 50% of the time it would fizzle or crash immediately but occasionally the flight was spectacular (for an 11 year old) followed by a long glide.

Another time a small 30cm wing span glider was sucked up by a thermal and lost forever on its first flight. I didn't know about thermals at the time so was astounded to watch it keep climbing out of sight. I remember it like it was yesterday. Elated that I had just watched it fly for several minutes but sad I had lost it.

It wasn't until 2 years later when I joined an RC club and told my instructor about it that I learned what a thermal was and the mystery was solved.

I think Traditional Modelling will mean different things to different people - depending on age and when you first started in the hobby - to me its building Balsa Planes and running Glow motors. Flew them for 20+ years and loved every minute of it.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-21-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:05 PM
thepamster

If a plane is going to be lost on the first flight, I can't think of a better way to go than being sucked up into a thermal.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Some of my best memories come from building small balsa planes like this years before I could afford RC. I built a delta wing model about 20 cm wide and 30cm long and strapped small fireworks to the back as a rocket engine.

Lighting the wick then hand launching. 50% of the time it would fizzle or crash immediately but occasionally the flight was spectacular (for an 11 year old) followed by a long glide.

Another time a small 30cm wing span glider was sucked up by a thermal and lost forever on its first flight. I didn't know about thermals at the time so was astounded to watch it keep climbing out of sight. I remember it like it was yesterday. Elated that I had just watched it fly for several minutes but sad I had lost it.

It wasn't until 2 years later when I joined an RC club and told my instructor about it that I learned what a thermal was and the mystery was solved.

I think Traditional Modelling will mean different things to different people - depending on age and when you first started in the hobby - to me its building Balsa Planes and running Glow motors. Flew them for 20+ years and loved every minute of it.

Thanks Rob, that's a great story. I remember the old balsa ones too, love the bit about fireworks too...i might have attacked a bottle rocket or two as well.

Do you think your early involvement in the hobby lead you, or had influence in what you later chose to do as an occupation?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:39 AM
Rob2160

Thanks Rob, that's a great story. I remember the old balsa ones too, love the bit about fireworks too...i might have attacked a bottle rocket or two as well.

Do you think your early involvement in the hobby lead you, or had influence in what you later chose to do as an occupation?
I think it was the other way around as I always wanted to be a pilot as far back as I can remember. (We lived directly under the landing path at Sydney Airport when I was very young and I watched planes fly over low all day every day)

Always loved anything that flies and that drew me into the hobby also.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-22-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I think it was the other way around as I always wanted to be a pilot as far back as I can remember. (We lived directly under the landing path at Sydney Airport when I was very young and I watched planes fly over low all day every day)

Always loved anything that flies and that drew me into the hobby also.
Makes sense. I grew up on Air Force bases across the world from the 70's to the mid 80's. We were stationed at Aviano Italy for 5 years...got to see the Ov-10 Broncos, Panavia Tornadoes, F-14's, Intruders, German F-104's, F-4's were still flying, and the Vulcan would come into the base every now and then. I suck in math...so I knew piloting was always out of the question!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

..i might have attacked a bottle rocket or two as well.
You knowingly broke the AMA safety code? tsk....tsk..... I thought you were one of the guys that followed the rules.....

Astro
Old 11-22-2015, 05:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

Slow day eh? I wonder if CJ will step in with a lawn ornament comment, or better yet tell me it should be obvious I'm being trolled. Hmm...

It may come as a shocker, but not everyone is part of the AMA from the day they were born. Perhaps you were lucky and joined them early, I know you're a pretty big fan of theirs. I wish I could take back everything I did when I was 12...alas, 'tis not to be.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:50 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'am not sure attaching a bottle rocket to model as the propulsion source is breaking the rules, launching a bottle rocket from an aircraft is what would be a "no no". I can remember as a kid trying to get one of those "Jet-X" things to power some of my little hand launch gliders, same idea but I bet a bottle rocket worked better.

Last edited by 52larry52; 11-22-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 52larry52
I'am not sure attaching a bottle rocket to model as the propulsion source is breaking the rules, launching a bottle rocket from an aircraft is what would be a "no no". I can remember as a kid trying to get one of those "Jet-X" things to power some of my little hand launch gliders, same idea but I bet a bottle rocket worked better.
Wouldn't matter...he was just looking for a reason to troll. His response will be no different.

fwiw the bottle rocket worked for about 3 seconds, then boom...into the ground. The things we do when we're young.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:19 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Slow day eh? I wonder if CJ will step in with a lawn ornament comment, or better yet tell me it should be obvious I'm being trolled. Hmm...

It may come as a shocker, but not everyone is part of the AMA from the day they were born. Perhaps you were lucky and joined them early, I know you're a pretty big fan of theirs. I wish I could take back everything I did when I was 12...alas, 'tis not to be.
Wouldn't matter...he was just looking for a reason to troll. His response will be no different.

fwiw the bottle rocket worked for about 3 seconds, then boom...into the ground. The things we do when we're young.
Funny.....MY post only made statements as they pertain to facts previously presented in this thread.

YOURS strays to the point of calling me a troll, wondering if somebody who I don't even know is going to call you names, and claiming you know what my reply will be!

Talk about adult-like and classy! LOL

Astro
Old 11-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Traditional probably doesn't fit RC building or even flying in the world today, this hobby has evolved to the point that anything goes whether you build it or buy it made and that includes anything that flies regardless of the power source. Having fun and hanging out with the boys (some ladies too) sharing all the aspects of this hobby we all enjoy. Absence of a club a open space with some kind of road for a runway will be just as much fun for those that do it and I have. Country kids and men fly their planes from their farms, city kids in their neighborhoods, there not concerned with AMA, most never even heard of it, it's all about fun, I hope they do it safely for their own good and safety of others, but we know many don't.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Traditional probably doesn't fit RC building or even flying in the world today, this hobby has evolved to the point that anything goes whether you build it or buy it made and that includes anything that flies regardless of the power source. Having fun and hanging out with the boys (some ladies too) sharing all the aspects of this hobby we all enjoy. Absence of a club a open space with some kind of road for a runway will be just as much fun for those that do it and I have. Country kids and men fly their planes from their farms, city kids in their neighborhoods, there not concerned with AMA, most never even heard of it, it's all about fun, I hope they do it safely for their own good and safety of others, but we know many don't.
What would you tell a representative of the FAA or the DOT if they asked you what was meant by Traditional Radio Control...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.