Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:26 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
What would you tell a representative of the FAA or the DOT if they asked you what was meant by Traditional Radio Control...?
From that perspective a simple distinction could be made.

Those without any form of autonomous flight capability are "Traditional Radio Control"

A test would be to turn off the transmitter and see what happens..

A Traditional RC aircraft or helicopter will likely crash within seconds as it needs constant input from the pilot to remain airborne.

Some multicopters also fit into this category - e.g. Aerobatic Multicopters with no self level or GPS fitted. These require similar skills to flying an RC fixed wing or helicopter.

Turn the radio off and they will crash too.

Then you have multicopters with autonomous flight capability - these literally can fly themselves. They require almost no skill to fly as they will hover in one position when you let go of the sticks and they will land automatically when the battery gets low.

If you fly too far away (out of range) or turn the TX off they will automatically return to the take off position, land and shut down.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-23-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where would FF models fit ... I mean the ones that are fitted with radio? Many will fly happily, without pilot' input.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:41 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
Funny.....MY post only made statements as they pertain to facts previously presented in this thread.

YOURS strays to the point of calling me a troll, wondering if somebody who I don't even know is going to call you names, and claiming you know what my reply will be!

Talk about adult-like and classy! LOL

Astro
Wouldn't matter...he was just looking for a reason to troll. His response will be no different.

I rest my case.
As is evident from this and other posts, you lack the ability to differentiate between calling someone a troll, and describing an activity they are engaged in. I did not call you a troll.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
Where would FF models fit ... I mean the ones that are fitted with radio? Many will fly happily, without pilot' input.
That's a good point and a good question. FF aircraft don't really have any form of autonomous flight capability though - they might continue to fly without pilot input (for a while) due to natural stability but they can't navigate anywhere by themselves or land automatically in a pre determined location.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
That's a good point and a good question. FF aircraft don't really have any form of autonomous flight capability though - they might continue to fly without pilot input (for a while) due to natural stability but they can't navigate anywhere by themselves or land automatically in a pre determined location.
That is an interesting point..and FF was pretty much one of the first kinds of flying out there too.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:47 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Wouldn't matter...he was just looking for a reason to troll. His response will be no different.

I rest my case.
As is evident from this and other posts, you lack the ability to differentiate between calling someone a troll, and describing an activity they are engaged in. I did not call you a troll.
If I am fishing, I am a fisherman.

If I am bowling, I am a bowler.

If I am flying a plane, I am a pilot.

If I am trolling, I am a troll.

See how that works? Split hairs if you will, it is your MO. Laughable!

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by 52larry52
I'am not sure attaching a bottle rocket to model as the propulsion source is breaking the rules, launching a bottle rocket from an aircraft is what would be a "no no". I can remember as a kid trying to get one of those "Jet-X" things to power some of my little hand launch gliders, same idea but I bet a bottle rocket worked better.

Till they go BANG! LOL Blew up many a plastic cars trucks and other things, a few Frogs too.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What would you tell a representative of the FAA or the DOT if they asked you what was meant by Traditional Radio Control...?
I would tell them there is no tradition any more it's simply a person with a radio controlled aircraft and he or she can fly it when and wherever they like and if you don't know where or when then there's nothing you can do about it.

It's going on right now all over the country, clubs are losing flying sites and many have given up the hobby of fixed wing and bought a quad copter so they can fly over their house and parks and on and on, sure their in the news and there is no shortage of nit-wits doing it but the truth is there is a love of the fun many have of doing what they think is a harmless form of pleasure and it's not going to stop. The FAA,DOT,PTA or AMA can't stop it, regulate or make people register their flying contraptions, they will however drive some out of the hobby, arrest and fine a few, maybe jail some but there's always the gun owners that say, "your not going to take my airplane away". I love it
Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

What a stupid question.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
I would tell them there is no tradition any more it's simply a person with a radio controlled aircraft and he or she can fly it when and wherever they like and if you don't know where or when then there's nothing you can do about it.

It's going on right now all over the country, clubs are losing flying sites and many have given up the hobby of fixed wing and bought a quad copter so they can fly over their house and parks and on and on, sure their in the news and there is no shortage of nit-wits doing it but the truth is there is a love of the fun many have of doing what they think is a harmless form of pleasure and it's not going to stop. The FAA,DOT,PTA or AMA can't stop it, regulate or make people register their flying contraptions, they will however drive some out of the hobby, arrest and fine a few, maybe jail some but there's always the gun owners that say, "your not going to take my airplane away". I love it
I would tell the FAA that traditional radio control is operating my flying toy with the use of only my naked eyes [for orientation] and fingers on a transmitter control stick[s] for guidance. This is what it has always meant no matter what the current trend is.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:05 PM
HoundDog

Extra Extra
Read all about it
Traditional Radio Control
is Dead
Killed by the DOT/FAA
and all these
ALphabet O
rganizations

3D Robotics (3DR)● Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA)● Aerospace Industries Association (AIA)● Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA)● Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)● Amazon Prime Air● Amazon Retail● American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE)● Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI)● Best Buy● Consumer Technology Association (CTA)● DJI● General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA)● GoogleX● GoPro● Helicopter Association International (HAI)● International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)● Management Association for Private Photogrammetric Surveyors (MAPPS)● Measure● National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO)● National Business Aviation Association (NBAA)● Parrot● Precision Hawk● Small UAV Coalition● Walmart
Old 11-23-2015, 06:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

? Say it ain't so Joe. do you know more than we know? The end isn't near, it's here?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM
combatpigg

Those without any form of autonomous flight capability are "Traditional Radio Control"

A Traditional RC aircraft or helicopter will likely crash within seconds as it needs constant input from the pilot to remain airborne.

Some multicopters also fit into this category - e.g. Aerobatic Multicopters with no self level or GPS fitted. These require similar skills to flying an RC fixed wing or helicopter.

Then you have multicopters with autonomous flight capability - these literally can fly themselves. They require almost no skill to fly as they will hover in one position when you let go of the sticks and they will land automatically when the battery gets low.

If you fly too far away (out of range) or turn the TX off they will automatically return to the take off position, land and shut down.
It must be nice to live in a "Virtual Reality World" where all of your drones happily return to base ....LOL.
For those of you who believe in such a magical RC Utopia, I leave you with this.....https://youtu.be/14ViwvgtvbA
Old 11-23-2015, 07:01 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
? Say it ain't so Joe. do you know more than we know? The end isn't near, it's here?
There is a famous Quote by a catcher named Yogi.
"It ain't over till it over."
Where the FAA/DOT is concerned it ain't ever OVER.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Rob2160

It must be nice to live in a "Virtual Reality World" where all of your drones happily return to base ....LOL.
For those of you who believe in such a magical RC Utopia, I leave you with this.....https://youtu.be/14ViwvgtvbA
Virtual reality? Not at all!. I respect that you might have no actual experience with Multicopter flight controllers and that's cool but Failsafe, Return Home and Auto-land are basic features that have been around for several years.

They actually work very well. I have 14 multicopters with GPS and they all return home flawlessly when I turn the TX off during a flight and land within a meter or two of the take-off position - completely unassisted.

I have done this over 300 times in the past two years with a 100% success rate.

Don't take my word for it. See for yourself. (This video was taken two years ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerlxetewTk This one landed within inches of the take off position - failsafe was activated manually but the same thing happens if you turn the TX off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2MqnAVal9o I have dozens of videos showing the same thing. Nothing virtual here. It works just as I described in my earlier post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qBSy_SPMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVCN8n4rTLk

A few of my drones.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2132228   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_JPG.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2132229   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo33.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	921.3 KB
ID:	2132230  

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-24-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Recreational Radio Control is already defined to exclude autonomous aircraft. Also many traditional radio's can be set up so that the plane will circle continuously. But since it can drift with the wind nor fly to a waypoint that is not considered autonomous.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would tell the FAA that traditional radio control is operating my flying toy with the use of only my naked eyes [for orientation] and fingers on a transmitter control stick[s] for guidance. This is what it has always meant no matter what the current trend is.
That is absolutely no different than the so called drones.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Virtual reality? Not at all!. I respect that you might have no actual experience with Multicopter flight controllers and that's cool but Failsafe, Return Home and Auto-land are basic features that have been around for several years.

They actually work very well. I have 14 multicopters with GPS and they all return home flawlessly when I turn the TX off during a flight and land within a meter or two of the take-off position - completely unassisted.

Don't take my word for it. See for yourself. (This video was taken two years ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerlxetewTk This one landed within inches of the take off position - failsafe was activated manually but the same thing happens if you turn the TX off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2MqnAVal9o I have dozens of videos showing the same thing. Nothing virtual here. It works just as I described in my earlier post.

A few of my drones.

I believe autonomous flight will require a commercial license in the future. I'm ok with that to a point.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 AM
HoundDog

A few of my drones.

Rob:
What's the possibility of Australia's version of out FAA going into panic mode like ours & doing stupid Useless crap? Have they done Any other dumb stuff since they took your guns away?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Rob:
What's the possibility of Australia's version of out FAA going into panic mode like ours & doing stupid Useless crap? Have they done Any other dumb stuff since they took your guns away?
Its definitely on the cards and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to register ours soon also.

That gun buy back was a total farce, the Government paid top dollar (new gun prices) for rusty pieces of junk that didn't even work.

If you had the appropriate licences you could keep your guns anyway but many people used the system to replace their old guns for new. (I handed in an old bolt action 22 with a broken trigger and they paid me $450 for it, then bought a new Ruger 10/22 semi auto with the cash. )

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I believe autonomous flight will require a commercial license in the future. I'm ok with that to a point.
Yes me too...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 112.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	670.2 KB
ID:	2132244   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo11 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	2132245  

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-24-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 AM
HoundDog

There are a whole lot of AMA & MAC Idiots flying "Traditional RC modeling" that should be required to have a transmitter activated some form of autonomous flight capability. U know the guy that crashes a couple of times a month. Every club has at least one. Ours is Reggy a Canadian. Been here less than 2 weeks and already has killed 2 planes. Yesterday he takes this plane he just bought at the recent club auction, He's never flown before, proceeds to get it way too far out and looses it and crashes. Six guys looked for it for about 2 hours and no sign of it. My fear is it went past the road that is 5/8ths of a mile in that direction and into a housing area.
This is only one of many guys, that I know of, that should be prohibited from flying most peoples version of "Traditional RC modeling". It's safer for the rest of us and the public at large. Also a lot less expensive than replacing so many planes. Of course if we never crashed HK and the like might go out of business.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 AM
HoundDog

Its definitely on the cards and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to register ours soon also.

That gun buy back was a total farce, the Government paid top dollar (new gun prices) for rusty pieces of junk that didn't even work.

If you had the appropriate licences you could keep your guns anyway but many people used the system to replace their old guns for new. (I handed in an old bolt action 22 with a broken trigger and they paid me $450 for it, then bought a new Ruger 10/22 semi auto with the cash. \
Good for U buying a new Ruger that is ... Looks like government officials are just as stupid the world over.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

You have to remember that the FAA lives and does business using the following statement,

"We are the FAA and we're not happy until you're not happy!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:24 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That is absolutely no different than the so called drones.
My traditionally controlled RC plane does not pass ALL of the tests that define what makes a model plane a drone.
You would need to spend considerable time and money to CONVERT what I fly to full drone capability.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:31 PM
combatpigg

In your "Virtual Reality", planes never crash due to equipment failure.
In my world, this is a leading cause. Batteries and servos, failed solder traces, bad switches, etc.
You must think that YOUR planes are immune...?
When my TRADITIONALLY controlled planes crash, 99.9% of the time they do so where they are DESIGNED TO BE FLOWN...which is over the safe confines of the club field.

OTOH...your drones are destined to crash where they are designed to be flown and that is BEYOND the safe limits of a field that is located within any sort of a populated area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.