Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is Traditional RC modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:47 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
My traditionally controlled RC plane does not pass ALL of the tests that define what makes a model plane a drone.
You would need to spend considerable time and money to CONVERT what I fly to full drone capability.
Negative there CBP There's many TOY airplanes today with GPS & 3 axis autopilot and at least one with return to home and auto land Capabilities. I'd bet U could put together the necessary components for a under $100 from HK. This stuff is getting so really cheep & reliable.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your "Virtual Reality", planes never crash due to equipment failure.
Of course not in the "drone" world nothing ever fails. Just ask any "droner" they will explain it in detail.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 01:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Negative there CBP There's many TOY airplanes today with GPS & 3 axis autopilot and at least one with return to home and auto land Capabilities. I'd bet U could put together the necessary components for a under $100 from HK. This stuff is getting so really cheep & reliable.
HD, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy, so..........
Explain to me how MY traditionally equipped RC planes pass ALL of the tests for what constitutes full drone capability...?
Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Of course not in the "drone" world nothing ever fails. Just ask any "droner" they will explain it in detail.

Mike
Yep. I'm not bragging, but I was fortunate to be involved with the Maverick Guided Missile program back when NICADS were classified SECRET. These still wet behind the ears RUPIE-TOOPS who live in their fantasy dream world where nothing ever fails have no concept of SNAFU, FUBAR, MURPHY's LAW, etc.
Traditionally flown RC has "built in" fail safes that Drone Ops simply never will have due to Murphy's Laws.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:12 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Mike
Not to disagree..but I'll disagree (but actually I agree with you). Ha!

Anyway...some of the best "drone" videos our there are from guys that have these huge expensive set ups and of course have video running on the rigs and of course filming the rigs too, and then something goes drastically wrong. Tons of the DJI ones out there where they just drift off, or better yet go crazy and crash. The pilots immediately thinking it's a software problem...the wind took it etc etc. Sometimes it's dumbthumbs, sometimes battery failure, but I'm sure some of it are glitches in the programming. The guys who want the manf's to pay for full replacements are pretty funny too, posting up the videos that purport to show all the issues.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:19 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Not to disagree..but I'll disagree (but actually I agree with you). Ha!
That officially made my head hurt. Thanks
Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 02:23 PM
HoundDog

HD, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy,

My traditionally controlled RC plane does not pass ALL of the tests that define what makes a model plane a drone.
You would need to spend considerable time and money to CONVERT what I fly to full drone capability.

HD, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy, so..........
Explain to me how MY traditionally equipped RC planes pass ALL of the tests for what constitutes full drone capability...?
I wasn't commenting on how it would "pass ALL of the tests for what constitutes full drone capability...?" I was simply commenting on the price of converting it to a drone is well with in the reach of anyone that can afford this hobby. Didn't mean to get U upset. sorry I'll try to be more specific in the feature. And Whom U calling a pretty intelligent guy?
If I were I sure wouldn't be hanging around here discussing things we can't/ ore unable to do anything about anyway. But then "The only thing that matters is nothing matters".
Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

That officially made my head hurt. Thanks
Mike
It's like math!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM
combatpigg

HD, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy,

I wasn't commenting on how it would "pass ALL of the tests for what constitutes full drone capability...?" I was simply commenting on the price of converting it to a drone is well with in the reach of anyone that can afford this hobby. Didn't mean to get U upset. sorry I'll try to be more specific in the feature. And Whom U calling a pretty intelligent guy?
If I were I sure wouldn't be hanging around here discussing things we can't/ ore unable to do anything about anyway. But then "The only thing that matters is nothing matters".
Thanks for the clarification.
I didn't figure you are the type who is looking for ways to be offended, but in the future I'll be more careful.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Rob2160

In my world, this is a leading cause. Batteries and servos, failed solder traces, bad switches, etc.
You must think that YOUR planes are immune...?
When my TRADITIONALLY controlled planes crash, 99.9% of the time they do so where they are DESIGNED TO BE FLOWN...which is over the safe confines of the club field.

OTOH...your drones are destined to crash where they are designed to be flown and that is BEYOND the safe limits of a field that is located within any sort of a populated area.
No I didn't say that at all. I said the failsafes on my drones have never failed - which is completely different to saying they will never fail.

Any piece of equipment can fail. To believe otherwise is foolish and unrealistic but the risk can be minimised by good practice, regular testing and understanding and respecting the limitations of the equipment, just like in full scale.

Battery and Switch failures are easily solved by using Dual Battery and switch systems. As for solder traces... do you conduct any type of burn in tests on your equipment?

I power new equipment for about 8 hours before fitting them to aircraft.

Can't do much about failed servos and I've had three fail in 36 years of RC flying but since my Drones don't have servos that point is moot anyway.

Of course I do not believe my equipment is immune to failure at all. Why do you assume that?

Quite the opposite actually. I am a qualified full size air crash investigator so I definitely know about equipment failures causing crashes. This is why I take every precaution during the build, set up and operation of my RC models to minimise the chance of a failure.

I test everything thoroughly before use and routinely thereafter and have a policy of "If in doubt, throw it out"

One example, I recently bought a new Flight controller ($170 USD) and removing it from the package I accidentally dropped it 1.5 meters onto a hard tile floor. When connecting it had an IMU error - the recommended fix is to "tap it" I did that and it worked again... but I was never going to trust it so I threw it out... A hard lesson, yes, but cheap insurance and peace of mind.

I build my drones with redundant power sources to both receiver and flight controller and check everything regularly. I lube motors, tighten props and check for bearing wear every 20 flights. All electrical / servo plugs are treated with Deoxit gold before connection - this protects from rust and corrosion and I will put either hot glue or heat shrink on the connections to prevent them ever coming loose from vibration.

Not everybody does this, I understand that too.

True Fly-aways can occur but most of the reported cases can be traced to pilot error, either not understanding the flight modes or not doing correct pre flight calibrations, failing to set the compass offset for local magnetic variation, not waiting for full satellite lock before take off, Not recording the home point correctly. the list goes on.

People tell me my DJI flight controllers will "fly away" eventually and maybe they will but with over 1000 perfect flights already logged I'm still waiting.

I will agree with you on the last point. Having autonomous flight capability increases the risk of a drone flying a long distance and crashing over a populated area. No doubt at all about this.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-06-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Fix typos.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:39 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=Rob2160;12132051].
All electrical / servo plugs are treated with Deoxit gold before connection - this protects from rust and corrosion and I will put either hot glue or heat shrink on the connections to prevent them ever coming loose from vibration.

Are one of these the "Deoxit Gold" U speak of and I would guess that it really combats servo plug corrosion?

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=%20Deoxit%20gold

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-24-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Rob2160

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12132071]
Originally Posted by Rob2160
All electrical / servo plugs are treated with Deoxit gold before connection - this protects from rust and corrosion and I will put either hot glue or heat shrink on the connections to prevent them ever coming loose from vibration.

Are one of these the "Deoxit Gold" U speak of and I would guess that it really combats servo plug corrosion?

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=%20Deoxit%20gold
This is the exact one I use HD. Not just in RC, but in model trains (on the tracks) and any electrical equipment that uses batteries - I put it on the terminals.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=292
Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In my world, this is a leading cause. Batteries and servos, failed solder traces, bad switches, etc.
You must think that YOUR planes are immune...?
When my TRADITIONALLY controlled planes crash, 99.9% of the time they do so where they are DESIGNED TO BE FLOWN...which is over the safe confines of the club field.

OTOH...your drones are destined to crash where they are designed to be flown and that is BEYOND the safe limits of a field that is located within any sort of a populated area.
Well said, +1
Old 02-24-2016, 02:56 AM
Jennifer Curtis

If anyone is interested in "traditional RC" here is
what you need"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VINTAGE-...oAAOSwKtVWzR2p

A genuine piece of traditional hardware for traditional flying.

Jenny