Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:37 PM
takEon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 AMA members in my household -- 1 got the survey.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:26 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not every person/instance got the same set of questions BTW
Old 10-04-2015, 01:20 AM
joancmigneault

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never got the survey. I just signed up for the 2016 year.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:25 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Interesting.

Mike.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

That's because some of the questions you may receive are determined based on your response to a previous question.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:01 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
That's because some of the questions you may receive are determined based on your response to a previous question.
It's been argued here that it's not cost effective to poll the entire membership. Now your suggesting they tailored the survey to responses to a previous one?
Just curious how you came upon that information.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-04-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
It's been argued here that it's not cost effective to poll the entire membership. Now you say they tailored the survey to responses to a previous one?
Just curious how you came upon that information.

Mike
Most likely, the technology used to conduct the survey was provided by a third party survey service. Most likely, these services have their fee structure based on the number of participants the survey is sent to. Thus, it makes sense that it might not be cost effective to have every member participate in the survey.

No, I did not say it was tailored based on responses to a previous survey.

What I said was some questions presented in the survey are based on the response to a previous question in the same survey.

For a hypothetical example only, say you're taking the survey and it asks if you're an AMA junior member, if you answer "yes" the survey can be designed to ask you specific questions only applicable to junior members. If you answer "no" because you're not an AMA junior member the survey proceeds to the next question in the survey.

Thus, not everyone in the survey will get the exact same questions.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 10-04-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:38 AM
rcmiket

"No, I did not say it was tailored based on responses to a previous survey. "

Changed to suggesting due to your comment. .

Mike
Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

The survey would say "Based on your previous answer of xxxxxxx, how do you feel about yyyyy." The survey customized later questions based on your answers to earlier questions. This is a good thing. If you felt strongly about something, they would ask deeper questions to find out why.

I think it was extremely well done and the AI built into the survey was surprisingly good.

I had a friend who used to do survey analysis. Data analysis is where surveys get expensive. Yes, they could have sent it to every member, but random survey being representative of an entire group is a well proven procedure. The problem comes in asking the right questions, giving respondents the latitude to truly express their feelings and having the ability to interpret the results.

Again, in a 20 minute survey, I only thought 1 question didn't allow me to correctly express my thoughts but the frequent essay answers let me expand on that.

Dave
Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I took the survey and one thing I thought was in error (from my recollection of the survey questions) was the use of the word drone. They used the word "drone", but I don't recall it being defined in the survey.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:07 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by dbacque
The survey would say "Based on your previous answer of xxxxxxx, how do you feel about yyyyy." The survey customized later questions based on your answers to earlier questions. This is a good thing. If you felt strongly about something, they would ask deeper questions to find out why.

I think it was extremely well done and the AI built into the survey was surprisingly good.

I had a friend who used to do survey analysis. Data analysis is where surveys get expensive. Yes, they could have sent it to every member, but random survey being representative of an entire group is a well proven procedure. The problem comes in asking the right questions, giving respondents the latitude to truly express their feelings and having the ability to interpret the results.

Again, in a 20 minute survey, I only thought 1 question didn't allow me to correctly express my thoughts but the frequent essay answers let me expand on that.

Dave
Excellent comments throughout. This type of survey is certainly superior to the standard "answer 1-10", and then move on to the next question. It was customized and intuitive, and the key here is as you said, it allowed for the respondent to express an individual opinion. Although there is an expense in sending out any survey, it's significantly cheaper to send the 1-10 type out, versus the one they did send. The numbers analysis will be relatively simple to crunch, then segment the responses. The time intensive work will be reading each manual entry, then categorizing those. Pro, con, neutral segments at least, probably more. It's clearly a hot button issues and it's safe to assume there will be lots of comments to read.

I also had one odd response that showed ".." as a response, and there was no way to go back and correct or edit, so I just continued on. If and when the results are shared, I suspect they will be high level, not down at question level results. Hopefully we'll get something.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:30 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The survey was not just designed for current members.

If you want to take it here it is:

https://www.research.net/r/9BN8GD8?AMAMSN=2949163
Old 10-04-2015, 06:37 PM
jetmaven

I'd agree totally with debacque, the survey was about as well executed as any I've ever participated in .
Old 10-04-2015, 06:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Where does that information come from, not the link, but about the survey not being for current members? Not sure why they be sending this to non-members.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Also, not sure if you realize that code at the end is a unique identifying number, if that is the link to your survey, that's your AMA number in part.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Also, not sure if you realize that code at the end is a unique identifying number, if that is the link to your survey, that's your AMA number in part.
If what you say is true, so much for poll anonymity, huh?

Astro
Old 10-05-2015, 07:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Who said it was supposed to be anonymous? It's addressed to people using their names.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Who said it was supposed to be anonymous? It's addressed to people using their names.
+1. I received the email and completed the survey and don't recall seeing anything indicating the survey was anonymous.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because the mailing list of individuals was provided to the third-party who administered the survey, it doesn't mean that the results couldn't be given to the AMA anonymously. I guess the reason I assumed it was anonymous is because the second (follow-up) survey actually asked (optionally) for my name and zip code. If they already "knew" who I was, why would they bother to ask that question?

Also, several of the questions in the survey asked IF I was an AMA member, or if I had ever been an AMA member, I wonder how they came up with the, "unique identifying number, if that is the link to your survey, that's your AMA number in part." for those polled who were non-members?

So, I can't say it actually said if it was anonymous or not, nor does it matter as I have nothing to hide, nor do I fear that MY organization would or could use my opinions to my detriment in any way.

Astro
Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I don't recall anyone saying it couldn't be made anonymous. The point was there was no disclaimer I saw indicating it was anonymous.

One reason they could have asked for name/zip code (which I thought was optional) was likely because it was easier to capture and analyze it as a survey question result than it would have been to tie it the individual who submitted the survey which would have increased the work effort.

No one knows for sure who the survey was sent to. It's possible the survey could have also included past AMA members as well. Past members still have an AMA number, it's just that their membership is not active. It's also possible the survey could have included individuals on their mailing list that were obtained from conferences, etc. It's quite easy to make unique identifiers for surveys when necessary. I'm not saying this was done, just indicating it's possible.