Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA partnering with industry to present Las Vegas Drone conference. Tickets only $540

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA partnering with industry to present Las Vegas Drone conference. Tickets only $540

Old 10-03-2015, 06:48 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AMA partnering with industry to present Las Vegas Drone conference. Tickets only $540

Normally the conference is $675 for "civilians" but with the AMA discount it is only $540 bucks!

I guess that discount is from the AMA "partnering with aviation industry organizations".

Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One step closer to the American Multirotor Association

All this does is further blur the lines between what AMA was, and what it is becoming.

The speaker list for this year's Expo is not up yet. But here is last year's list:

http://amaexpo.com/speaker-series/2015-speakers/

Six of the eight speakers had little, or nothing, to do with what most AMA members fly and do. And one (TFR talk) only partially touches members since clubs that are affected by a TFR mostly know it and close down. The TFR talk is really directed at the multitude of new drone pilots who feel they can fly anywhere they want to any time they want and however they feel like.

Botom line is I simply do not feel AMA represent me and the majority of members like me now. I talk to lots of people, and with very few exceptions the guys I talk to wish AMA would do more to distance our hobby from the drones, rather doing more to embrace them.

I guess we're just a bunch of FOGs!!

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 10-04-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

All this does is further blur the lines between what AMA was, and what it is becoming.

The speaker list for this year's Expo is not up yet. But here is last year's list:

Six of the eight speakers had little, or nothing, to do with what most AMA members fly and do. And one (TFR talk) only partially touches members since clubs that are affected by a TFR mostly know it and close down. The TFR talk is really directed at the multitude of new drone pilots who feel they can fly anywhere they want to any time they want and however they feel like.

Botom line is I simply do not feel AMA represent me and the majority of members like me now. I talk to lots of people, and with very few exceptions the guys I talk to wish AMA would do more to distance our hobby from the drones, rather doing more to embrace them.

Exactly.

Care must be taken though, or the Pro FPVers might label us "Haters, Truthers, Tin Foil Hatters, Chicken Littles", etc. for not "embracing the diversity" that FPV has to offer....lol.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Silent-AV8R

And I would once again remind them that I am not passing any judgment on them or their hobby. But it is not MY hobby and I do not want the AMA wasting time with them while neglecting the rest of us. But it seems like they have found a hot new chick to mess around with so the tired old wife is going to be shuttled aside.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:34 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 1

Cheers
Old 10-04-2015, 06:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Normally the conference is $675 for "civilians" but with the AMA discount it is only $540 bucks!

I guess that discount is from the AMA "partnering with aviation industry organizations".

Ironic I guess that some folks were really ticked at having the AMA dues raised a nominal amount (IMO) after 13 years, and now there seems to be a complaint that a $135.00 discount somehow isn't sufficient? I dunno...$135.00 discount is pretty darn good from where I come from. Then again, I wouldn't pay $25.00 to attend this, but it looks to be a significant conference with all the heavy hitters in attendance. It certainly differs from the AMA Expo you referenced, the goals and objectives appear different, as would be expected, this one is more industry (big business) focused. Rather than say they are not representing me, I'd proffer that they were prescient enough to realize how significant this issue was going to be and how it would affect us, and decided it was better to be part of the solution, rather than address the issues after the fact, from "outside", again, imo.

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Exactly.

Care must be taken though, or the Pro FPVers might label us "Haters, Truthers, Tin Foil Hatters, Chicken Littles", etc. for not "embracing the diversity" that FPV has to offer....lol.
Actually, FPV is just one of the used of UAV's, just as airplanes can be used for multiple purposes. pretty sure they were the first platforms for FPV too. There is diversity within many of the flights systems embraced by the AMA.

And I would once again remind them that I am not passing any judgment on them or their hobby. But it is not MY hobby and I do not want the AMA wasting time with them while neglecting the rest of us. But it seems like they have found a hot new chick to mess around with so the tired old wife is going to be shuttled aside.
I think the hobby is different things to different people. I guess I'll disagree that they are neglecting the rest of "us" in any way, in what ways would you say that is happening? I see them doing everything they used to do, and now more.

Lets not forget that all of the flight systems might/could get grouped into one and have significant impact on our hobby. I don't see this as all about "drones" or "fpv", rather the hobby as a whole. I think they are advocating for all of us, and the hobby. I've said before, helis weren't always part of this hobby, and the AMA embraced them, I'm sure at that time there was some discord on that decision as well.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote from Porcia....."Actually, FPV is just one of the uses of UAV's, just as airplanes can be used for multiple purposes. pretty sure they were the first platforms for FPV too. There is diversity within many of the flights systems embraced by the AMA".

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	business-commerce-mission_statements-office_jargon-office_policy-work-workers-bve0116_low (1).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2123634  
Old 10-05-2015, 02:39 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I knew for a while now , and have said it in other posts , that the AMA EC sure seems to want to be fully involved in the drone operations of the future , cause they see GigaBuck$ in that , VS a dwindling stock of us FOGs who fly "Traditional" (Yes Tom , I said it , traditional , and I think your thread summed up nicely exactly just what that is) model aircraft . I believe once it becomes about commercial UAS flight and the boatload of money associated with it , that we will be swept aside as the AMA becomes a for profit drone corporation . Once the AMA fully abandons us and it's "educational" non profit status , there will be room for a new AMA made up of all us disenfranchised FOGs who want to belong to a non profit model aviation advocacy group , kinda like what the present AMA is rapidly running away from being . I do see a rift coming , and I do believe the numbers of traditionalists VS dronners will support an organization more resembling what the AMA once was .......
Old 10-05-2015, 03:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

I don't see the rift coming....I see it here already!

An interesting thought on what the AMA can become down the road. I'm thinking that ultimately they will stay true to the roots of the organization, they will always be here for the hobby, and for modeling. Going "public" and for profit brings a whole new level of issues, and honestly I don't see that they are in a position to offer the business side of the uav's anything that attractive right now. That anyone would pay for that is, other than indemnity coverage. The big players are light years ahead infrastructure wise, I see the AMA as the little guy in this matter, necessary, but little. I think they can still add value to the proposition by keeping their involvement hobby/educational in nature. That being said, never say never, they might form a for profit side, stranger things have happened I guess. The discipline is probably best captured as a SIG too, I've heard rumors about that, as well as a website popping up soon.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM
islandflyer

I agree with you, as it has been clear from several other threads in which we both posted recently.
I too keep getting the same feed back from the overwhelming majority of the people I speak with, and I do discuss this with many fellow modelers.

I just had a call from a customer today with whom I discussed the degeneration of the AMA as it was known for about 78 years: he is from Willimantic, CT, and had never even thought about these issues until this telephone conversation. He found himself in total agreement with the position I share with many others, and told me that with this new understanding of the developing issues, he was going to make it a point to spread the word around where he lives and flies: we do need to get more involved in this situation, and get others to realize where the AMA is taking the organization we, the model aviators created and supported for many years.
At the very least, we need to take the few minutes required to take this survey, and let the AMA know where we, the current members stand.
We also need to make sure more modelers around us realize what has been happening, and take this survey to let their voices heard.
Those who agree with the new direction of the AMA will undoubtedly make it clear.
Those who disagree need to make it equally clear here: https://www.research.net/r/9BN8GD8?AMAMSN=2949163
Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

As you and others continue to muster the troops and have them fill out the survey, you may want to stop and check that 7 digit code that's attached to the end of link. For those not familiar, it's a unique identifying code. Check your own out, then pay close attention to the number. Look familiar? Islandflyer if that's the link that you got, and your repeating it here, you are sharing probably more than you think. Suffice it to say that only one completed survey result is going to be captured. The survey saved each answer as it was completed, so you could actually do it from different computers at different times if needed. So there's a chance that if you started your survey, stopped two questions in, then posted the link, and someone else went in, they could complete it. And might even answer the questions completely different than you would have. Sort of defeats the purpose no?

Rather than try to stuff the ballot box as it were and backdoor the survey, folks efforts are better spent contacting their district AMA AVP, or VP. If for some reason they don't feel like that is sufficient, write to the senior leadership. All of their e-mails are readily available, and this way you are talking directly to the policy makers, not having your information filtered through a third party vendor. Also doesn't hurt to saddle up next to one of them as they attend events, and just talk to them.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:53 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
As you and others continue to muster the troops and have them fill out the survey, you may want to stop and check that 7 digit code that's attached to the end of link. For those not familiar, it's a unique identifying code. Check your own out, then pay close attention to the number. Look familiar? Islandflyer if that's the link that you got, and your repeating it here, you are sharing probably more than you think. Suffice it to say that only one completed survey result is going to be captured.
Funny, since I did not receive an invite to participate in the survey, but am an interested party, I followed islandflyers' link and completed the survey. After I read your post, and wanting to make sure my voice was heard, I clicked on the link again to see if I could somehow contact the survey administrators to verify that they HAD captured my unique poll answers, or to see if (as you stated) anybody who used that link to access the survey would be essentially, viewed as one set of responses. I was greeted with a message that read, "YOU HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED THIS SURVEY". Because I know that islandflyer had already completed his survey before I ever tried, I will assume that you are incorrect, and that my responses WERE recorded. It would look as though there is some other unique identifier (such as IP address) that allows for multiple responses to be recorded as such, regardless of the "unique identifier" you referred to.

Rather than try to stuff the ballot box as it were and backdoor the survey
LOL!!!! "muster the troops" , "stuff the ballot box" and, "backdoor the survey" You make it sound like there is something wrong with folks wanting to participate in the process and have their voice heard!!!

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Default Lacking integrity

Originally Posted by astrohog
Funny, since I did not receive an invite to participate in the survey, but am an interested party, I followed islandflyers' link and completed the survey. After I read your post, and wanting to make sure my voice was heard, I clicked on the link again to see if I could somehow contact the survey administrators to verify that they HAD captured my unique poll answers, or to see if (as you stated) anybody who used that link to access the survey would be essentially, viewed as one set of responses. I was greeted with a message that read, "YOU HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED THIS SURVEY". Because I know that islandflyer had already completed his survey before I ever tried, I will assume that you are incorrect, and that my responses WERE recorded. It would look as though there is some other unique identifier (such as IP address) that allows for multiple responses to be recorded as such, regardless of the "unique identifier" you referred to.

So you didn't get an invite, but decided to go ahead and fill out a survey sent to someone else with their AMA number embedded, , because you wanted your voice heard. You weren't asked, but your intent on having a say, and you're willing to have that say even if it means distorting the random selection process of the survey. And you've convinced yourself that it worked. Other than filling them out, have you any experience with surveys?

LOL!!!! "muster the troops" , "stuff the ballot box" and, "backdoor the survey" You make it sound like there is something wrong with folks wanting to participate in the process and have their voice heard!!!

Yes, all of the above. Clearly demonstrated by Islandflyer's post. He's on the phone with a customer who seemingly is unaware of the travesty that is befalling the AMA, the "degeneration" if will (not too hysterical), but after the call the customer is in complete agreement with him, and will help spread the word. He then drops a link to his survey online and suggests it get completed. So yes, all of the above. But as usual, you are so intent on being disagreeable and contrary that you cherry picked a few phrases and want to make it seem like I don't want voices to be heard. Disingenuous of course, blatantly so.

Rather than try to stuff the ballot box as it were and backdoor the survey, folks efforts are better spent
contacting their district AMA AVP, or VP. If for some reason they don't feel like that is sufficient, write to the senior leadership. All of their e-mails are readily available, and this way you are talking directly to the policy makers, not having your information filtered through a third party vendor. Also doesn't hurt to saddle up next to one of them as they attend events, and just talk to them.

Regards,

Astro
Yes indeed, my suggestions are clearly meant to dissuade people from making their voices heard. It's curious to watch an ends justify the means rationalization materialize and manifest itself over time. Character, integrity, and moral compass give way to getting what we want. Different strokes, for different folks n'all.

(because it's been a while).
Old 10-06-2015, 03:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by astrohog

Regards,

Astro
IP addresses not unique. Perhaps you can reach out to the multirotor community to find out how all this high tech Internet/survey stuff actually works. Those guys are really pushing the forefront of technology in terms of development and application in the hobby and outside the hobby and perhaps they would be willing to share.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yes indeed, my suggestions are clearly meant to dissuade people from making their voices heard. It's curious to watch an ends justify the means rationalization materialize and manifest itself over time. Character, integrity, and moral compass give way to getting what we want. Different strokes, for different folks n'all.

(because it's been a while).
You make me laugh!! (For REAL!, no smiley needed!)

Do you even read what you write? You are questioning my integrity for participating in a poll that wasn't specifically sent to me???? A Poll about TOY airplanes??? LOL!!!

I really don't think this is the place, nor are you the one that ought to be judging others' moral compass!!!

KEEP ON STROKIN' IT!!

Astro
Old 10-06-2015, 05:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I'm glad to see the AMA is participating!

Since we're all potential users of the same airspace it's critically important that the AMA be aware of what's going on the in the industry that might impact model aviation. It's also critically important for them to represent us and educate the industry on activities. It's far easier and better to address any possible conflicts sooner rather than later.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I'm glad to see the AMA is participating!

Since we're all potential users of the same airspace it's critically important that the AMA be aware of what's going on the in the industry that might impact model aviation. It's also critically important for them to represent us and educate the industry on activities. It's far easier and better to address any possible conflicts sooner rather than later.
Drones are used as military weapons, they have a myriad of commercial applications and of course they (drones) can be toys. The AMA deals with our toys, and some of our members use toy drones.

Like it or not, it is in our best interest to have the AMA being part of those discussions. My 2 cents. The fact that I have no interest in drones (or free flight, or u control, ot tanks, or...) still does not change my opinion. It is part of our hobby.

Gerry
Old 10-06-2015, 06:17 AM
rcmiket

Your not alone I feel the same way.

Mike
Old 10-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

When determining whether something is right or wrong for an organization it's best to assess whether that activity is consistent with their mission statement.

Looking at the AMA's mission statement:

"The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.

The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education, and scientific/technical development to modelers."

I can't help but notice their attendance would be considered "promotion" and "safeguarding of modeling activities" which is certainly consistent with their mission statement.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 AM
islandflyer

And a lot of us contend that "Droning" (I might have invented a new word for Drone operation) is not modeling.
The is the canyon (too wide to be called a gap).
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
When determining whether something is right or wrong for an organization it's best to assess whether that activity is consistent with their mission statement.

Looking at the AMA's mission statement:

"The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.

The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education, and scientific/technical development to modelers."

I can't help but notice their attendance would be considered "promotion" and "safeguarding of modeling activities" which is certainly consistent with their mission statement.
Also there is the scientific/technical part in the mission statement. I really never gave a rat's arse about U control, or free flight, rubber power, indoors, choppers, 3D flight, or drones. But, they are part of our hobby. Some people have a hard time grasping this concept.

Gerry
Old 10-06-2015, 10:43 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can bury your head in the sand the way the big computer companies did back in the late 70's when they said who would ever have a need for a personal computer, or you can except that change is here, and it is not always bad. My last issue of MA was full of building articles and aircraft reviews as much as always. If we do not get involved with this new technology and help the GP understand that it's not all bad then we will all suffer the consequences. Like others have said I could care less about all the other disciplines of modeling outside of RC planes but would never dream of saying they have no place in the hobby. Many of our clubs older members are enjoying their so called drones, as well as their scratch built airplanes. Technically any remote controlled aircraft is a drone
Old 10-06-2015, 12:30 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by raptureboy
You can bury your head in the sand the way the big computer companies did back in the late 70's when they said who would ever have a need for a personal computer, or you can except that change is here, and it is not always bad. My last issue of MA was full of building articles and aircraft reviews as much as always. If we do not get involved with this new technology and help the GP understand that it's not all bad then we will all suffer the consequences. Like others have said I could care less about all the other disciplines of modeling outside of RC planes but would never dream of saying they have no place in the hobby. Many of our clubs older members are enjoying their so called drones, as well as their scratch built airplanes. Technically any remote controlled aircraft is a drone
Honestly it's the " new technology" ( your words) crowd that should to join our ranks. Now they could form their own organization if they wish.
They have been invited now lets see if they come.Personally I don't see it happening but time will tell.
Burying my head, no sir I'm well aware they are out there and they pose a threat my my hobby..

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-06-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:26 AM
Andy_S

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Also there is the scientific/technical part in the mission statement. I really never gave a rat's arse about U control, or free flight, rubber power, indoors, choppers, 3D flight, or drones. But, they are part of our hobby. Some people have a hard time grasping this concept.

Gerry
Gerry,

The 3D/heli analogy is very weak in my opinion. Exploring the capabilities of flying post stall (3D) or flying helis without obstructing a flight pattern has nothing to do with the special considerations involved with flying to the capabilities and limits of FPV.
Not to mention, Control Line and indoor are safely operated away from the RC flight line within the limits of a designated area, which is the key.
In any case, you either operate within LOS (including FPV with a spotter at a field that allows it) or you don't. In my opinon, the FPV hobby/market/industry caters to the latter and doesn't reflect my hobby and the way I choose to be involved in it.
Andy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.