Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA fields that exclude AMA groups.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA fields that exclude AMA groups.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:43 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

One of the things that has made the AMA as successful as it has been for decades is granting clubs the basic human right of Freedom of Association.

If you have respect for the wishes of the majority at a RC Club, you don't try to force your will upon them. You either look for ways to fit in, or else move on.
This is the way I handle my Combat , Speed and Control Line flying....I do it elsewhere.
It would never occur to me that I should make an issue out of it.

Well, maybe I just don't have that Entitlement Mentality....?
Old 10-13-2015, 10:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Nothing ever gets banned for no reason. 3d pilots can be very inconsiderate of others, leading to that kind of flying being banned in many clubs. If you don't want it happening in your club, don't hover over the runway or get in other's way who are flying the circuit. Sometimes helicopters aren't allowed for the same reason. For multirotors, I don't see why they would want to fly them at a club field, but if they did and were banned it would probably be for jerkish behavior too.
Are you personally against 3D flying?

I've found quite the opposite, 3D pilots tend to be excellent pilots and I have several around here that I have no qualms about flying any of my review planes from gliders to jets so that I can get the pictures I want.

I've seen the so called "inconsiderate 3D pilot" labeled as such when the 3D pilot was flying by himself and doing his thing, when someone went out with a trainer and started doing touch and go landings with a student, then complaining loudly that the 3D pilot was being inconsiderate, as opposed to waiting 5 minutes for him to land before starting a buddy box session.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:27 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Clubs must follow the AMA Safe Code.
Who said they din't?

Mike
Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
One of the things that has made the AMA as successful as it has been for decades is granting clubs the basic human right of Freedom of Association.

If you have respect for the wishes of the majority at a RC Club, you don't try to force your will upon them. You either look for ways to fit in, or else move on.
This is the way I handle my Combat , Speed and Control Line flying....I do it elsewhere.
It would never occur to me that I should make an issue out of it.

Well, maybe I just don't have that Entitlement Mentality....?
Both you and Silent av8tor have got it right , clubs get shaped by the flying styles of those who belong to and do the "heavy lifting" in the club , and by the type of flying their area typically provides for . Turbines are a great example ; Since they generally need more flying room than the local club field has to offer , there is no turbine flying allowed there . An hour or so away there is a turbine club with the nice big field needed to support turbine operations and there is no Heli flying allowed there (likely no 3D either) .

Bottom line here = any one single club simply CAN'T be all things to all people , and all except those who like seeing controversy where there isn't any , are fully aware of and have no problem whatsoever with that fact ......
Old 10-13-2015, 10:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm lucky, I don't hear any of this.

We have enough room for tubines, no noise restrictions, two runways so the heli guys have their own runway with a central pits, we aerotow, and in the afternoon the glider guys setup a winch and blow a horn or whistle during launch and everyone stays out of the way till the line is on the ground.

All for 50 bux a year and the city mows the grass
Old 10-13-2015, 10:57 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...what a deal!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I'm lucky, I don't hear any of this.

We have enough room for tubines, no noise restrictions, two runways so the heli guys have their own runway with a central pits, we aerotow, and in the afternoon the glider guys setup a winch and blow a horn or whistle during launch and everyone stays out of the way till the line is on the ground.

All for 50 bux a year and the city mows the grass
That's a dream come true.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:07 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Bottom line here = any one single club simply CAN'T be all things to all people , and all except those who like seeing controversy where there isn't any , are fully aware of and have no problem whatsoever with that fact ......
Very True!! This is why over the past 5 years, I actually belonged to 4 different clubs. Some guys thought I was crazy to drive 110 miles one way to fly my jets, or 52 miles to fly my CARF 3.1m Extra, but this is what I had to do for my own personal enjoyment of the hobby. Each club provided a different setting and mentality of the different planes/jets flown at that clubs' fields. My home club, 8 miles away, became a " beginners'/foamy and heli" field". Large gas and jets became very unwelcomed there. Finally, due to family issues keeping me in St. Pete went away; I then had the freedom to move to the best and most stable field out of the 4 that allows ALL aspects of the hobby. The men usually act as "grown-ups" and are patient to wait their turn, should they not want to fly with a 3D guy, foamy guy, flight training, or jet guy. Fortunately, our club has the room to have a totally separate heli part of the field with their own huts and set up.
Now, I have lived up North before too. I understand the limited flying time, due to the seasons. And, there are more hobby enthusiast that can only fly on the weekends, due to their jobs. All I can still recommend, is patience for your fellow hobbyist, no matter what he is flying. So what if you have to be at the flying field for an extra hour or so? Isn't this is why we are also in the hobby, is to get out in the country, and visit with fellow members?
Old 10-13-2015, 11:52 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Two clubs that I fly at exclude turbines because the landowners have specifically requested that turbines be excluded. So, should the clubs allow turbines in the name of inclusiveness and lose their flying sites as a result, or is this a situation where it is OK?

Three other flying sites, two in City parks, the other not, only allow electrics planes, again because the parks departments and/or land owners are concerned about noise. So is this a situation where it is OK to ban an AMA group or ignore the owners and risk losing the flying sites?

It seems that many think the decision to prohibit certain kinds of planes/groups is based on a dislike of the prohibited group. That has rarely been my experience. Bans are almost always the result of restrictions that come from the land owners or other limitations that are needed in order for the site to even exist.
It is sometime true that clubs have a good reason to restrict certain types of models but many times that is not the case, I don't the OP was suggesting that any club should have to do something that would cause the lose of their site.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:04 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
It is sometime true that clubs have a good reason to restrict certain types of models but many times that is not the case,.
Many times, since I have belong to several clubs at one time per year, it has to do more conservative and older thoughts........right or wrong. Since I fly jets, I have found with the politics of it, that in the early days of jets, they were thought of as a high speed flying bomb. So, IMHO, Clubs' Presidents convinced County Officials that a turbines were dangerous and a fire bomb. In realilty, jets have become more safe then electric planes. Since CC has a fire rescue cart, a study was performed as to what caused more fires after impact.............the winner went to electrics!!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 PM
crash99

Single club can't be all things ??? Why is that? We fly everything here with no issues. Now we have no restrictions and our Dues are $25 per year.

Maybe it's the attitude of the clubs members themselves. A good club vs bad club. There is none of our guys with a bad attitude.

I have to agree that the 3D group is the most nice guys around no mater what club I visit. No need to hate on them.

I have also notice they end up flying the new aircraft due to their skill level. The 3D guys have a quicker reaction time. That can make all the difference between taking home a airplane or a bag of balsa.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by crash99
I have to agree that the 3D group is the most nice guys around no mater what club I visit. No need to hate on them.

I have also notice they end up flying the new aircraft due to their skill level. The 3D guys have a quicker reaction time. That can make all the difference between taking home a airplane or a bag of balsa.
Unfortunately I see this thread degrading into another one of Crash99's "3D pilots are better than everybody else because............", as most of his threads in the AMA Forum as of late have been. My first inclination is to shut this thread down because we've seen many of the same sorts of this thread in the past. However, I will give it a little bit of leeway and see where it goes. But know this, and the very next hint I see with anymore of this "3D pilots are better than others because "???????" I will lock down the thread without any further warnings.

Ken
Old 10-13-2015, 01:38 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"......Single club can't be all things ??? Why is that? We fly everything here with no issues. Now we have no restrictions and our Dues are $25 per year.

Maybe it's the attitude of the clubs members themselves. A good club vs bad club. There is none of our guys with a bad attitude....."

The answer has already been given, every club can't be everything to everyone. There are plenty of reasons why some clubs will not allow nitro/gas motors, or turbines, or large scale planes. It is what it is. Make the best of what each club has and have a good time flying.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:46 PM
combatpigg

The OP's message is loud and clear..if you do not like 3D flying at your field, you have a "Bad Attitude".
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 PM
crash99

On multi rotors, the reason I fly at the club site is its a safe place to fly it. Even the AMA host this type of events.

The question still remains the same. But let's change it. Should clubs without restrictions receive benefits like grant money ect that exclude AMA groups.

If I remember correctly, back around 2008 I receive the top 5 items that cause accidents at a field was a club attitude. I think this could be the leading cause on a club restrictions on AMA groups.

I am thankful to have clubs here in Missouri that take the good attitude of not restricting groups. Not saying all Missouri fields have this attitude. There is 1 for sure.

Crash99
Old 10-13-2015, 02:07 PM
combatpigg

Could someone please send an interpreter over from one of the RC Car forums...?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:12 PM
crash99

Combatpigg did not get it right. Has nothing to do with 3D. 3D is one of many groups. I think there was some unkind words pointed at this group.

Should it matter what the group is? No! Excluding is excluding. If a club has no restrictions then one would ask why would this club not want to promote the whole hobby?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:28 PM
init4fun

Single club can't be all things ??? Why is that?

I believe all the other posters to this thread summed it up very well , that especially within the confines of a small field , certain flying types simply aren't safe when practiced together . If I were flying a nice zippy fast turbine , I would not want to have to evade a hovering Extra . and if I was hovering an Extra , I wouldn't want it torpedoed by a turbine on a high speed pass . Never , not once , have I found such restrictions being placed for "snobby" reasons , as you seem to want to portray this issue as , instead I've seen clubs form that cater to the type(S) of flying that the members themselves gravitate to , and try to accommodate as many different flying styles into the mix as are safe to be practiced together . I think the AMA has it exactly right in this regard , and that your idea of punishing clubs that don't embrace your flawed notion of all inclusiveness is absurd .

So what's the REAL issue here ? You wanna hover your Sukhoi in the middle of my C/L circle while I fly my Ringmaster , or what ?

Politically correct , feel good "all inclusiveness" may work in some areas of life , but have ya ever noticed they don't have Snail races on an Indy track ????
Old 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM
init4fun

Oh , and before ya go gettin all "you guys all HATE 3D" on us here , Let me be the first to tell ya that I love ALL types of RC model aviation ! It's just that I can see the practical physics behind why some RC activities just aren't safely compatable with others , and 3D + Turbines in the same field are the prefect example of two great things that just don't go great together .... Kinda like windsurfing while trolling for sharks .......
Old 10-13-2015, 02:47 PM
crash99

When you see a circle flying plane in the air should you that a profile up to hover over the runway? No that would be a bad attitude and we just don't do that. We get along.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:02 PM
combatpigg

Combatpigg did not get it right. Has nothing to do with 3D. 3D is one of many groups. I think there was some unkind words pointed at this group.

Should it matter what the group is? No! Excluding is excluding. If a club has no restrictions then one would ask why would this club not want to promote the whole hobby?
There is a term that is used in "Real Life" that describes people who want to force others to either associate with them or else face fines and punishment.
These people have no respect for MY Freedom of Association...they think it only applies when it suits THEIR wants and needs.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:28 PM
jmiles1941

we have 2 fields at GAMA we welcome all fliers from electric to drones to large IMAC planes , we even have a area set up for control lines , glad we have no drama like that at our fields
Old 10-13-2015, 04:10 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

This is all my fault, the wife and I we're wanting to go down to Eureka Springs Arkansas to look at the fall colors, and I seen that hammer field was having a flyin. I noticed on their flyer they banned 3d and helicopters and showed it to crash 99, looks like it is sponsored by the Dawn Patrol so wwI warbirds are going to be the favorite. My fault for poking the bear. Looks like they welcome all airplanes as long as you don't fly them in a 3d manner or have a helicopter. I think What stirred this up is the flyer says fly what you bring and that it is a Fun Fly. I love flying at the war birds over the Rockies and I think I can fly my yak 54 I'm going to take in a respectful manner. IMAC freestyle, just kidding.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:11 PM
crash99

Wow, The Bear! Well I have been called worse. It's an issue that impacts the hobby as a whole.

Why would a club like Hammer field or the Lee summit field in Missouri exclude the 2 top growing groups in the AMA.

It's not just a single event but the Club exclude a group everyday.

Every club should be pulling in every Multi rotor guys, requiring them to join the AMA. Make the AMA stronger! Same goes to the 3D guys that are not AMA members. It is not taking away from anyone.

So we want to support the AMA or not. Why would clubs not want to support the AMA?
Old 10-13-2015, 07:00 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, The Bear! Well I have been called worse. It's an issue that impacts the hobby as a whole.

Why would a club like Hammer field or the Lee summit field in Missouri exclude the 2 top growing groups in the AMA.

It's not just a single event but the Club exclude a group everyday.

Every club should be pulling in every Multi rotor guys, requiring them to join the AMA. Make the AMA stronger! Same goes to the 3D guys that are not AMA members. It is not taking away from anyone.

So we want to support the AMA or not. Why would clubs not want to support the AMA?
It doesn't happen often, but I am utterly speechless!

Astro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.