Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What do you do to share your hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What do you do to share your hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:34 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What do you do to share your hobby?

What do you do to share your hobby with the next generation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYtJrH9F-mA
Old 10-15-2015, 08:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic question. Hope some of the regulars in the AMA threads will chime in, they certainly like to on the negative side it seems, so be interested to hear about all the great things they do. A few from me:

1. Carry my clubs card so if I'm at a local park or field and someone sees me flying, I can hand the card to them and invite them to the club.
2. Land the plane, then show the plane to them, answer any questions. Go over the safety protocols we adhere to, and explain the basics of RC flight
3. Let people touch and experience the plane, buddy box if possible.
4. If I'm at my club and flying, and someone from the public comes to watch, show the around the club and invite them to ask questions. Again, buddy box them if possible
5. Proactively search out all types of Scouting clubs to come to the field, magnet school classes focused on science/aviation, and summer camp programs.
6. Set up tables at local events, schools, libraries, fairs etc to promote the club and the hobby.
7. Partner with middle school/high school science classes involved in the Science Olympics (free flight/rubber band powered planes).
8. Donate annual subscriptions to Model Aviation to all town libraries and middle and high schools.

Those are some off the top of my head, be interested to read about others and what they are doing.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:31 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great List Porcia83. Thank you for posting what you do to share our hobby.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article is on page 160 of the May issue of Model Aviation. By Education Director, Bill Pritchett
TEACHING THE TEACHERS PROGRAM
Teaching school teachers to fly RC aircraft and then teach them the art of teaching RC flying for their students, for me has proven to be the ultimate promotion concept.
I’ve discovered that teachers obviously already have developed the skills and the talent for not only teaching, but also self-learning.
I have had several tech teachers learn enough to be able to give their students R/C flying instruction on their schools simulators, only after 30 plus minutes of my RT instruction method.
Technology teacher Johnathan Shelley from Grand Island, NY senior high school, only had 2-15 minute lessons. As I was giving his students flying experience. He caught on so quickly that he and another teachers with the same amount of flying time flew on their own all that summer.
I am offering any teacher or hobby shop owner the same opportunity. It should only take, on the average 2-5 days, 2-4 hours per day to for most anyone to learn enough to be able to train either students in schools or customers to get them hooked on the hobby. This will definitely bring in more AMA members and customers for the industry. This will also help to get a very good jump on the learning process. I have several very wide open county owned flying sites to fly on and will be available essentially at the student’s convenience.
I realize that there are probably already many aero modeling programs in schools, but usually they have to depend on clubs for help. My program will get people safely in the air and on their own very quickly. There are probably many schools with no club help available, some schools may have teachers already in the hobby, but they may not have any flight instruction skills. The same may go for any clubs that may be in the area.
Using my method, I could easily train several teachers each day. I have students who are waiting for their turn stand close by so they will learn from the mistakes the students ahead of them are making.
Think of the numbers. How many schools are there? How many teachers? How many students? How many family members?
Keep in mind that this concept has already been proven. I just have to get people who are capable of thinking outside of the box to get on board. The problem I’ve had getting this going is from club members who are afraid of overcrowding their flight line. Unlike industry members, growth is not what clubs are comfortable with. Ironically, the growth conscience industry has no choice but to depend growth fearing clubs for all of hands-on, in-the-field promoting.
If anyone is interested, contact me via email: [email protected]
Clarence C. Ragland
AMA# 120734