Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:30 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another type of Govt involvement in Drones, of another type

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Yep.That's the bottom line.

Mike
Not 100% similar in modality/methodology, but certainly in terms of performance and govt intervention.

http://jalopnik.com/feds-say-the-ai-...-dr-1758242891

Not a drone, but a car. Not the FAA, but the NHTSA. The govt seeming to say all unmanned aircraft are "drones", and now perhaps the artificial intelligence of a car would be a "driver". I felt as though there were some pretty obvious similarities here. At the core, it's a new technology that needs to have some checks and balances, and here we have another govt agency getting involved and asserting it's authority, and like the drone issue I'm o/k with it to a certain degree. Just as I don't want the skies taken over by commercial entities and slowly devolve in to the wild wild west, I think the same could be said for our streets too.

What a weird place technology can take things.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM
smitty4980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
Watching intently from up here in Canada.

I don't see an issue with registering model aircraft, but I almost guarantee that this won't affect the traditional R/C crowd. There's no way they can effectively police the thousands of homebuilt multirotors built every year, or even come up with a foolproof definition of a "drone" in the first place, and they know that.

I'd actually be thrilled if the regulation change was something along the lines of mandatory education and/or paperwork for buyers of multirotors over a certain weight, which I'd predict would be around that of a Phantom. We're starting to see a lot more activity up here now, and there was a rather panicked call over a unicom a few weeks ago about a quadcopter at 800 AGL, which was the first I'd actually been at risk from their improper usage.

Either way, I'm interested in following this on Monday.
You don't register your airplanes/drones. You register the operator and the operator's registration must be on all of the planes/drones he flys.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I think they're using it as a template for future implementation. Right now the FAA looks like they're trying to work with the AMA/modelers.

Unfortunately, if there continues to be reports of near misses around other airports (and I think there will be), the FAA will then be able to use those as justification for implementing something similar at all class B and C airports. They'll look like the reasonable ones - trying to work with the CBOs, but darned if the problems didn't continue. It won't matter whether offenders are AMA members or not, that fine distinction will get lost in the clamor from lawmakers, pilots, and the media. Through it all, FAA will look reasonable and measured. Then, in the not too distant future, they'll finally say "See, this 400' thing didn't eliminate the hobby, why don't we just do it nationwide - that way everyone is following the same rule."

I think you are correct in your assessment of the way the FAA will likely act. As I have said before I think the FAA knows that trying to have a two tier set of rules for modelers one for AMA members and other rules for
none members is asking for trouble so they either have to back down and make all the rules the same or deal with bringing the AMA members into to what they want.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:48 AM
smitty4980

It's the reregistration that pisses me off. Once you have a number what does reregistering do except give the government another cash cow. AMA gives us insurance so reregistering makes sense. The FAA gives them a tracking number that, like a SSN, they can identify the owner. I don't reregister my SSN and they know where to find me.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
In Full Scale it means a minimum of 1000' AGL Ceiling and 3 miles visibility i.e. Minimum VFR.

There is no reason that all 2500 + AMA fields can't have a 1/2 mile dia circle upto 1500' pf prohibited air space. It's such a small area and we are Paying thru our taxes for the FAA to control the NAS it's our GOD given right to our fair share. Besides if there over 1 Million people flying some sort of R.C TOYs. Just 1million are almost twice as many current Pilots of all ratings in the USA estimated in 2014 at 593,433. Full Scale Pilots. The FAA own numbers show a 190160 decrease in licensed pilots since 1980 for a 28.2% decrease. While the number of R/C TOY pilots has increased over 500% just in the past few years. if there were More Prohibited areas for R.C Toys to be separated from Full Scale aircraft we wouldn't likely be even thinking of this. KEEP FULL Scale planes away from Prohibited R/C Flight areas op to 1500' and 1/2 mile in diameter.

Besides there is no reason on God's Green Earth that any GA Pilot should endanger his him self or the Lives of his passengers to JOY Ride down at 500' Where he can't make a save landing in case of an engine failure. From 500' AGL at best glide speed of most Light GA aircraft, the Pilot must diagnose the Problem switch tanks check gages pick out a safe and suitable landing place. All in just 37.5 seconds to impact with the ground, I don't know about U but it took more than that amount of time when the Instructor Pulled the Power to Ideal, at 3000' AGL to go through Engine Out Procedures then to pick a suitable landing spot. Which I later deduced was Usually right below us.
I was taught to always enter an airports 5 mile ring at 1000' AGL and the proper airspeed (Small increments of Power reduction), Then
maintai pattern altitude (1000' AGL) until abeam of the Point where I was going to land.

As of the end of 2014, in the US, there were an estimated 593,499 active certificated pilots. This number has been declining gradually over the past several decades, down from a high of over 827,000 pilots in 1980. There were in 1990 and 625,581 in 2000.

Now let's get off the whiney track forget what U think is wrong stop bickering about nothing but personalities and FIGHT for what is Rightfully OURS. i.e. Our fair share of the NAS.
What gets me is helicopters, they are supposed to be following helicopter routes except when landing or on emergency service, or police work (especially with warrant). And even then are supposed to be high enough for a safe landing. They constantly violate this and the recent rash of helicopter crash's prove the point. I would think they would have to be above 300 feet or maybe more to be absolutely sure of a successful autorotation landing.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:57 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sheesh...cabin fever there HD?
Not here in SUNNY and WARM 87 yesterday porcia83 an record breakers for next 2 days ... I get to Fly every day that ends in a "Y" except for the wind:Y" and very few Rain"Y" ones. Only Dummies that are retired stay in the COLD parts of the nation,

But what the He[[ are any of U bigmouth whiners doing about the problem ... all of U and Me just whine and criticize each other and act just like the FAA and don't take on the real problem. People flying where they are not supposed to. Take a map of 100 mile radius around your favorite R/C field and draw a 5 MILE RADIUS red circle around every airport on the map and a 1/2 mile circle OR HALF CIRCLE AS APPROPRIATE TO THE nUMBER OF RUNWAYS AN R/c FIELD HAS.around every AMA feld and look at the airspace the FAA wants for their control. We are infestimisal to what they want. We have to fight the FAA and any one else that what would deny us our GOD given right to our share of the NAS. For 80+ years we have not been a problem ... The only thing that has dragged us into the fray is that the AMA through congress and the amendment #336 trying to tell the FAA "How to do their JOB" if that had not happened they would be looking at the real problem and possible solving it. That is people flying "DRONES" Near Man carrying aircraft.

Got an Idea the AMA should do a media campainof TV Air Time. News Reports on all the Major TV Networks and explain every where there that ANY DRON fling is Illegal and U can be FINED $300,00 and Jailed for 3 years if U do fly "ANYTHING" in any of these areas. Take a map of the USA and place a red ring 5 miles in radius around every towered airport and explain that there is absolutely NO DRONE FLYING inside any of the RED circles and Out Side the circles all R/C Toys are Limited to a max altitude of 400' AGL. That is except inside any one of the the 1/4 mile radius circles that don't appear inside the Big circles. Of course most o U just want to Piss and Moan and degrade each other than really fight for what is rightfully ours.
This is for Mr. Pork chop.

!OOT THGIR M'I WONK LLA U

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-11-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

I was in Phoenix last August and the low humidity did not help much with the 115 degree temperatures. When I drove back to the airport I was glad I was in an air conditioned car and would be in an air conditioned building. Then I remembered I had to put gas in the car. Credit card did not work and had to walk in the sun to the cash register. I thought I might melt like the Wicked Witch of the West!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
What gets me is helicopters, they are supposed to be following helicopter routes except when landing or on emergency service, or police work (especially with warrant). And even then are supposed to be high enough for a safe landing. They constantly violate this and the recent rash of helicopter crash's prove the point. I would think they would have to be above 300 feet or maybe more to be absolutely sure of a successful autorotation landing.
The Problem is U can't Prosecute the IDIOT that Killed Him self and took every one on board and possibly people on the ground with him cause he's a stupid Egotistical Jet Jockey type. There is something about being stupid that get's U killed ...Take a 172 or any Small GA airplane and at 500' AGL U have about 37.5 seconds to do the engine out emergency procedures pick a suitable landing sight and execute a forced landing that might just save U and your passengers from death and or dismemberment.

I used to do circles over a hunting area near Standish MI to show some of my fellow deer hunters the lay of the land so to speak. Well one bright sunny day while at 500' AGL with 4 of us on board a C-182, Looking for deer, the engine coughed while in a 45 degree left bank and all I could imagine was spinning into the woods and burning to death. Doesn't really mater though U probably don't know your dead sorta like People dom't know they're stupid. Every time I took off or landed Even at strange air ports I had a fairly good Idea where, if the engine quit, before I got at least to pattern altitude Where I could Possibly set it down and survive. Just good safe practice.

Sorta like watching R/C'er with a 700' runway start at the Middle of the field cause the can't handle an R/C TOY coming toward them selves. Then what happens Just after Lift off? Right the engine quits and they run out of runway all at the same time. Then because of their inept T.O. abilities they crash. Where if they used all the runway they probably would have survived the Engine failure. That's instead of putting their "Pride n Joy" in a garbage bag.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 AM
HoundDog

I was in Phoenix last August and the low humidity did not help much with the 115 degree temperatures. When I drove back to the airport I was glad I was in an air conditioned car and would be in an air conditioned building. Then I remembered I had to put gas in the car. Credit card did not work and had to walk in the sun to the cash register. I thought I might melt like the Wicked Witch of the West!
That's why I winter in AZ and spend the other 6 months in SE Wisconsin ... These guys wear a parka gloves and ear muffs when the temp drops below 60. Got Pics to Prove it. But if they are going to fly in the summer they are out to the field before Sun Up and gone by 9:30... Summer is their building season. Winter in AZ sure beats Living In the Cols and Snowy areas of he country. But then Retirement WAY BEATS the HE[[ out of work'n. Too bad U gota be so old to retire, When U ave the Wisdom and Money to do thi hobby and It's just about Impossible to get down and back up when Y drop the Nistarter Off the starting table. OH the doctor appoints break into your flying time too. Can't schedule the appointments in the afternoon...Mis one of my many NAPS. Heaven for bid.

Here FAA let us have out miniscule amount of GOD given airspace or take this The rath of a SAC trained Killer Like Snoopy.

410th Airborne Missile Maintenance Squadron K.I Sawyer MI.
The Great UP From 16 May '65 to 9 Sept '68
3 years 3 months 3 weeks & 3 days. and a wake up.

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-11-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by smitty4980
It's the reregistration that pisses me off. Once you have a number what does reregistering do except give the government another cash cow. AMA gives us insurance so reregistering makes sense. The FAA gives them a tracking number that, like a SSN, they can identify the owner. I don't reregister my SSN and they know where to find me.
2 gentleman from Australia showed up to our field In AZ az yesterday ... Very Interesting fellows ... Jet Turbine flyers too. Interesting conversation about the Likeness and differences of there AMA and Ours and their FAA as apposed to ours and the difference in their FAR an ours.
First off let me say we have it better here in some ways and worse in others ...

Birst the differences 1. they have a HARD ceiling all overt the country even the Out back of 400' AGL. 2. U have/must belong to their AMA. it is mandatory. OH 3. their AMA like Insurance is Primary and It's 20 million (Underwritten by Lloyds of London) Not 2 million. Their Yearly dues are 100 Australian Equal to our $75 with the exchange rate) and Mikey will like this NO senior discounts (They'd go Broke) and no free KIDS either. Their particular club (100 KM North of Sidney) dues were 200 aus dollars or what ever.
About the only thing the same is when they have a big Jet rally they have 20 or 300 pilots and it done at a full scale airport and the ceiling is raised for the event. They too discuss the three most things that men usually talk about is Politics Religion and WOMEN ... OH they also solve all the worlds problems too.

OH Man it's 9:45 and I have Yet to SSS 68 and 4 mph winds out of the SW right down the runway ,, going to 86 today I got 40 emails that are gonna have to wait ... Have a great day even if U do live in cold country ... Just Build Build Build ... between shoveling that is.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Rob2160

2 gentleman from Australia showed up to our field In AZ az yesterday ... Very Interesting fellows ... Jet Turbine flyers too. Interesting conversation about the Likeness and differences of there AMA and Ours and their FAA as apposed to ours and the difference in their FAR an ours.
First off let me say we have it better here in some ways and worse in others ...

Birst the differences 1. they have a HARD ceiling all overt the country even the Out back of 400' AGL. 2. U have/must belong to their AMA. it is mandatory. OH 3. their AMA like Insurance is Primary and It's 20 million (Underwritten by Lloyds of London) Not 2 million. Their Yearly dues are 100 Australian Equal to our $75 with the exchange rate) and Mikey will like this NO senior discounts (They'd go Broke) and no free KIDS either. Their particular club (100 KM North of Sidney) dues were 200 aus dollars or what ever.
About the only thing the same is when they have a big Jet rally they have 20 or 300 pilots and it done at a full scale airport and the ceiling is raised for the event. They too discuss the three most things that men usually talk about is Politics Religion and WOMEN ... OH they also solve all the worlds problems too.

OH Man it's 9:45 and I have Yet to SSS 68 and 4 mph winds out of the SW right down the runway ,, going to 86 today I got 40 emails that are gonna have to wait ... Have a great day even if U do live in cold country ... Just Build Build Build ... between shoveling that is.
What they told you about the hard 400ft limit is ABSOLUTELY wrong.

The 400 foot limit only applies within 3 miles of an airport or inside controlled airspace.

Outside these areas you can fly above 400 ft perfectly legally and that is the majority of the country.

I live just 15 miles from Sydney Airport and can fly up to 2000 ft which is still outside controlled airspace at my local park.

Read 5.5.2 here for starters.

http://d1070190-1981.myweb.westnetho...ODEL-RULES.pdf

Secondly it is not mandatory at all to be a member of the MAAA. (Our version of the AMA) to fly model aircraft.

It doesn't surprise me that they don't know their own rules though...

Tell them to read Civil Aviation Safety Regulation 101.400.

Here is the URL.

http://www.rmac.riverland.net.au/101casr.pdf

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Rob2160

Yesterday at Santa Monica Pier. The LAPD on beach patrol. They were 150-200 feet AGL tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FE9_b-9W6w
Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I wonder what Frankie has to say about this one:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5a_1453504784
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Jimmy, I agree, they have my AMA number, is that not enough?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Doggie,How many day left to register? Your countdown timer still working?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Yesterday at Santa Monica Pier. The LAPD on beach patrol. They were 150-200 feet AGL tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FE9_b-9W6w
Hard to say if that was legal. Police on call is an emergency. But for normal beach patrol he was too low to be sure of a successful emergency landing. Unless he was a real hotshot.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Doggie,How many day left to register? Your countdown timer still working?
.nam U rof tsuJ yssirhC

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Much appreciated! Looks like I still have plenty of time left.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Skinny Bob
Jimmy, I agree, they have my AMA number, is that not enough?
Neither the AMA nor the FAA can do anything to U for Not having your AMA info in your Plane ...The FAA can fine and jail U if U are found guilty of flying anything R/V in the NAS with out your Federal registration and a copy of it on your Person because that is the Law. Anything pertaining to the AMA is not besides who's to say if the AMA data base is correct or even Up To date. At least with the FAA database will start out up to date ... How many people do U think have moved changed phone numbers Email address, ect and not reported it to the AMA. That could be a problem wit the FAA data base as time goes on ... Stop whining and just do it before the FAA realizes it all bogus and realy makes some that really works. Like registration of every plane U ave at $25 each.If too many keep bad mouthing the FAA U have no Idea how Vindictive they can be.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:57 PM
HoundDog

.nam U rof tsuJ yssirhC

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Much appreciated! Looks like I still have plenty of time left.
That's if it's correct. anyway ain't it way past your bed time ... what time is it any way there in somewhere?

It's way past my bed time but then I probablyy got 2 to 3 hours NAP TIME after supper. I turn the TV off when the weather girl is done. Get some more shut eye then finaly set up the coffee for morning Pee and off to dream land... 4:44am comes dam early. Nighty Night they CPB

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-11-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:49 AM
Rob2160

Hard to say if that was legal. Police on call is an emergency. But for normal beach patrol he was too low to be sure of a successful emergency landing. Unless he was a real hotshot.
Most Police aviation units will have exemptions to the low flying regulations. Also there are low level helicopter routes along the Coast - e.g. the Shoreline route past LAX requires you to remain below 150 feet.

Height is not the only factor required for a successful autorotation, if you have enough forward speed at low level you can accomplish one easily enough. See the Height Velocity diagram. Stay out of the shaded area and you are fine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 4.38.59 am.png
Views:	77
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	2146807   Click image for larger version

Name:	F28HV.gif
Views:	85
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2146808  
Old 02-12-2016, 05:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Most Police aviation units will have exemptions to the low flying regulations.
Not for normal patrols they don't. The FAR only exempts emergency flights. Patrols are not emergency. I don't think the FAA is properly enforcing this though. A recent court case ruled that a police helicopter should have been above 500 feet above the plaintiff's house without a warrant. They were surveilling the house and the police said that police helicopters were exempt. The court found no such exemption, but that a warrant would qualify.

I was at the Santa Monica pier last September and the helicopter appeared to be above the beach, not offshore. And it appeared he was below 40 MPH when he slowed down just past the pier, though that is hard to be sure of.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-12-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:18 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Most Police aviation units will have exemptions to the low flying regulations. Also there are low level helicopter routes along the Coast - e.g. the Shoreline route past LAX requires you to remain below 150 feet.

Height is not the only factor required for a successful autorotation, if you have enough forward speed at low level you can accomplish one easily enough. See the Height Velocity diagram. Stay out of the shaded area and you are fine.

That is exactly so many Police and med copters have fatalities. Either collisions or from mechanical failure and no time to react. Remember Altitude is your friend. Way too man obstructions below 500' and at the rate a chopper can gain altitude it's only a mater of seconds to gain enough altitude to be safe. Not many birds above 500' feet and if they are their mostly big and easier to spot in time to be avoided. Most every bird I'v seen while airborne just folds its wings and drops or flairs to one side. They pretty well know U are There. It's your speed not theirs that kills Pilots. again any GA pilot flying at 500' or lower is Insane. Just too stupid to continue to contribute to the gene pool.

Here in the Phoenix Valley there lots of Med choppers and they fl way to low for safety especially at night. But then many of these guys get into the Jet Jockey Mode and that's how the Kill themselves and their passengers and Persons on the ground.
for CPB

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-12-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

That is exactly so many Police and med copters have fatalities. Either collisions or from mechanical failure and no time to react. Remember Altitude is your friend. Way too man obstructions below 500' and at the rate a chopper can gain altitude it's only a mater of seconds to gain enough altitude to be safe. Not many birds above 500' feet and if they are their mostly big and easier to spot in time to be avoided. Most every bird I'v seen while airborne just folds its wings and drops or flairs to one side. They pretty well know U are There. It's your speed not theirs that kills Pilots. again any GA pilot flying at 500' or lower is Insane. Just too stupid to continue to contribute to the gene pool.

Here in the Phoenix Valley there lots of Med choppers and they fl way to low for safety especially at night. But then many of these guys get into the Jet Jockey Mode and that's how the Kill themselves and their passengers and Persons on the ground.
I am with you on this HD. Not enforced at all or very little by the FAA. Exception only applies while on the emergency run. And even then, in most cases, there is no reason to be flying below 500 feet when en route. And those charts are only accurate when the pilot does everything exactly right. Even the best jet jockey's don't always get everything right all the time, or they would all be Top Gun pilots.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:11 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

for CPB
More importantly...what is the status on the SSS? I'm good with any font or color...expect that yellow. Man that is harsh on these old eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.