Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
Isn't it interesting that we as the fixed wing and helicopter fliers are discussing this very important topic however I have not seen a single multirotor or drone pilot stepping up to the plate to present their feeling about this issue!!!
To step up you would actually have to know something.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

It has been almost 4 years since federal law required us to "inform" an airport we are flying near them, and I still no idea what to say to the airport. AFAIK, nothing from the AMA on how to engage.
The law said the FAA had to require that in their regulation. I believe it was only recently put into an AC.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Another nitpicker. Geez. I would asume that any rational person wold know the following but I'll repeat it for the obviously non-rational among us.

Enforcing the AMA rules on himslef is a members responsibility. Enforcing those rules on a member who just won't follow them is the club's responsibilty. And individual member may certainly step in and try to encourage someone to follow the rules but actual enforcement, inlcuding punishment, belongs to the club.
And if the AMA member is not flying at an AMA chartered club field?

Also, what makes you think clubs have enforcement authority over public property?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:39 AM
dreadedone
My Feedback: (23)

I guess that those who believe the FAA will exempt traditional model aviation are laboring under a false sense of security. In my time with the FAA (in the airworthiness section) I became very well aware of the policies and procedures. I am not faulting the FAA as they will do whatever to fix whatever the public perceives is a problem. But guys, make no mistake, regulation will take place. It might go like this: one buys a Model airplane from say Tower, Horizon Hobbies Chief Aircraft or one of the other suppliers. What you will get is a registration form that describes the aircraft and it also requires that it be built in accordance with the supplied instructions. If any deviations are made they must be approved by the Mfg or the FAA. This registration WILL require a fee. If that model is traded or sold the purchaser must determine that it is registered and so on including flying sites. I know there are many nay-sayers and "hope for the best" among us. I have taken part many times in such procedures and know what I am talking about. I read that the reason that registration is for drones is coming is that they (the FAA) wishes to try and get the irresponsible operators out of the system. The whole Drone thing has gotten out of hand and the AMA has supported the Drone community. Guys; I don't wish to be a gloom and doom model airplane operator as I enjoy the hobby/sport very much and have been flying for over 40 years but I see what may be coming.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:53 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Can you read his "aura" too? Where his chakras out of balance too? Seriously you're reading body language now and interpreting it? Talk about a stretch to take another pot shot. Jeez

Any chance he might be nervous getting up in front of a room full of people, standing next to who he was, being broadcast around the world.

I'm sure you'd knock it out of the park and be all smiles right?
First, I do body language reading as part of my job. Second, if he's nervous getting in front of people then I'd argue he's not a good fit for a public policy position like that. Third, I would. Understanding that people will be watching reactions in a situation like this is something he knew or should know. That's the type of expertise that people in those types of positions are paid to know. I see it as yet another example that he's in way over his head. Maybe a great modeler, heck I'd be willing to even stipulate that he's the world's greatest modeler, model pilot, and all around great guy. But that doesn't mean he's good in this role.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by dreadedone
I guess that those who believe the FAA will exempt traditional model aviation are laboring under a false sense of security. In my time with the FAA (in the airworthiness section) I became very well aware of the policies and procedures. I am not faulting the FAA as they will do whatever to fix whatever the public perceives is a problem. But guys, make no mistake, regulation will take place. It might go like this: one buys a Model airplane from say Tower, Horizon Hobbies Chief Aircraft or one of the other suppliers. What you will get is a registration form that describes the aircraft and it also requires that it be built in accordance with the supplied instructions. If any deviations are made they must be approved by the Mfg or the FAA. This registration WILL require a fee. If that model is traded or sold the purchaser must determine that it is registered and so on including flying sites. I know there are many nay-sayers and "hope for the best" among us. I have taken part many times in such procedures and know what I am talking about. I read that the reason that registration is for drones is coming is that they (the FAA) wishes to try and get the irresponsible operators out of the system. The whole Drone thing has gotten out of hand and the AMA has supported the Drone community. Guys; I don't wish to be a gloom and doom model airplane operator as I enjoy the hobby/sport very much and have been flying for over 40 years but I see what may be coming.
You hit the nail on the head. What some are failing to realize is that at this level, words matter. What I heard the Secretary says was "all." It's no accident that the Administrator referred to them as "aircraft." That's a direct rebuttal of AMA - for the AMA is suing the FAA's over the agency's interpretation of the language in the law that the AMA asked for. Key point? You guessed it. The FAA's interpretation that models are "aircraft" subject to FAA regulation.

Last edited by franklin_m; 10-19-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:00 PM
franklin_m

So what? I don't disagree that the pilot is expected to comply. My question is what's the role of the AMA sanctioned club? If what you are saying is true, the club has zero responsibility to enforce if a member violates AMA rules.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:07 PM
binns aero

I told you so.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by dreadedone
Doom and gloom sells, scare tactics and forecasting the worst possible outcome, and don't forget a little threat of government oversight (and even confiscation) to sweeten the pot. All makes for great reading and prognostication on hobby websites. Since you seem to have such intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the FAA you undoubtedly know they have their hands filled and can barely manage to do their mission critical work. This isn't some bizzare grab for power.....over hobby toys? C'mon.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by binns aero
I told you so.
ahh...everything is finalized then?
Old 10-19-2015, 12:28 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

FAA to Regulate Model airplanes and require a license. Hillary is going to do away with the second amendment By Executive order. Guns will be confiscated like Australia. What next for model airplanes, Transponders and two way radio contact with the appropriate ATC? ADS-B OUT for sure. If U take the wings off and run your plane as a R/C Vehicle or boat what then? The world is going BANANAS.

When is the last time anyone has seen or even heard of a model plane coming close to a full scale airplane when flying at an AMA field?
FAR 91.119 Minimum Safe Altitudes : General Read sub paragraph (b) . I contacted the Phoenix [h=3]Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)[/h]I asked what constitutes "An open air assembly of people" and the answer was anything from 33000 people in a stadium to 2 people on a blanket having a picnic. I take that to mean maned aircraft must maintain 1000' above the highest object within 2000' of a model field when there any number but 1 person(s) flying model planes. U read it and see what U think.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement,o r over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.
[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]

Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Silent-AV8R

Video of the announcement:

https://www.transportation.gov/fastl...n-announcement
Old 10-19-2015, 12:43 PM
F-16 viperman

Default I told You so

Originally Posted by binns aero
I told you so.
"the four most beautiful words in the English language, I TOLD YOU SO." Gore Vidal.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is confused, or has a question, just ask Porcia or Crispy. They'll know the answer.......and it will be the right one!.........just ask them, they'll tell you! 😀

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
If anyone is confused, or has a question, just ask Porcia or Crispy. They'll know the answer.......and it will be the right one!.........just ask them, they'll tell you! 

Regards,

Astro
In their spare time yesterday, they BOTH asked a forum poster why his guns weren't registered.!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:10 PM
oliveDrab

I hope the guvmint goes to the trouble of defining "drone". If they classify my 4*60 or Rascal 110 as a drone ... I'm moving to another planet.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:14 PM
joancmigneault

I can't see getting a pilots license just to fly a quad copter & take a few pictures. I WILL NOT REGISTER MY QUAD. Register ALL GUNS first. They cause more damage. Oh. And I do belong to the AMA. I have paid my 2016 dues. And I do fly responsibly.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:35 PM
franklin_m

Another interesting thing to note: Here's the statements of support for DOT/FAA action today. Notice who's not listed at all? Anyone think that's a coincidence? That's what it looks like when a group gets marginalized.

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...s-registration
Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Another interesting thing to note: Here's the statements of support for DOT/FAA action today. Notice who's not listed at all? Anyone think that's a coincidence? That's what it looks like when a group gets marginalized.

Did I miss all of those groups up on the stage making statements. "marginalized"...too funny. Would gave liked to have seen them all speak, and read their body language as well.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:15 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Another interesting thing to note: Here's the statements of support for DOT/FAA action today. Notice who's not listed at all? Anyone think that's a coincidence? That's what it looks like when a group gets marginalized. https://www.transportation.gov/brief...s-registration
And you know they were marginalized because? Perhaps the AMA simply choose not to release a statement or didn't release a statement in time to be published on the DOT website.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:25 PM
oliveDrab

Will existing model aircraft be "grandfathered" such that they will not be required to be registered. In other words, will registration for required from this time on for new aircraft only?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:29 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
I hope the guvmint goes to the trouble of defining "drone". If they classify my 4*60 or Rascal 110 as a drone ... I'm moving to another planet.
The public sure has , that's for sure .

As proof , do what I did , show 10 random people a picture of a P-51 Mustang , and a picture of a quad . !0 out of 10 will call the quad a drone and the P-51 a toy plane .

Now as long as the govt. thinks the same way as my 10 random people do , we're golden . And if not , just think of how valuable all of our "pre ban" equipment will be
Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM
F-16 viperman

Today it was affirmed that "ALL unmaned aircraft are considered UAS" . It was also affirmed that it is illegal to "drop ANYTHING from a UAS within the NAS". No more parachute or candy drops for the kids. Make sure to tell Them the truth Who the killjoy was Who said NO! Just watch and listen to the entire announcement and press conference. There were still more questions and, Anthony Foxx and Michael Huerta just walked off the stage without even saying no more questions. That made me laugh.

Last edited by F-16 viperman; 10-19-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, I would expect to see an Honorable Mention just for the sake of being polite...!

By FAILING to take a hard line stance against getting involved with FPV, our leadership will not be able to proudly say "We did everything we could to maintain our freedom".

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-19-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:43 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
It won't work, oliveDrab. Airline pilots have seen a lot more UFOs, so next the FAA will be registering them as well.

Name(If pronounceable in English)_________________
Brand of UFO_____________________
Planet of origin__________________
Propulsion: Atomic_ Anti-gravity_ Rocket_ Magnetic_

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.