Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Skydiving is legal, and in fact discussed specifically in FAR 105. Airborne firefighting is also legal, as it is covered under a variety of laws. Here's an excerpt from the US Fire Service operations manual: "Forest Service flight operations as defined in Public Law 103-411 (FAR 1.1) must comply with the FARs applicable to public aircraft (FSM 5701), except for flight operations conducted under the grants of exemption from specific FARs (FSM 5714) and for other flight operations exceptions as authorized in this manual and in FSH 5709.16."

Applicable FARs include:

1. FAR 39 - Airworthiness Directives (14 CFR part 39).
2. FAR 43 - Maintenance, Preventative Maintenance, Rebuilding, and Alteration (14 CFR part 43).
3. FAR 61 - Certification: Pilots and Flight Instructors (14 CFR part 61).
4. FAR 65 - Certification: Airmen other than Flight Crewmembers (14 CFR part 65).
5. FAR 91 - General Operating and Flight Rules for "mission" activities (14 CFR part 91).
6. FAR 119 - Applicability (14 CFR part 119).
7. FAR 121, 125, and 135 of Subpart B, Operating Requirements (14 CFR parts 121, 125, and 135).
8. FAR 133 - Rotorcraft External-Load Operations (14 CFR part 133).
9. FAR 137 - Agricultural Aircraft Operations (14 CFR part 137).

Ok so that means that after we register our "aircraft", we must get an airwortyness approval from an A&P, then we must fly lo lower than 1,000 feet over populated areas. Right!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by airraptor
what is a drone? What the military used back in the 60s or that the media mislabeled a multi rotor as a drone to get more attention and now everyone uses that word even modelers? doesn't matter because like gun laws only those abiding by the law is hurt by this. those that just buy one and fly a multi copter in a dangerous manner are the ones that don't care about regulation.
And since they won't register the law accomplishes nothing.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by airraptor
what is a drone? What the military used back in the 60s or that the media mislabeled a multi rotor as a drone to get more attention and now everyone uses that word even modelers? doesn't matter because like gun laws only those abiding by the law is hurt by this. those that just buy one and fly a multi copter in a dangerous manner are the ones that don't care about regulation.
Why does it matter? You won't find the term drone in the laws or regulations. The term is sUAV. And model airplanes are sUAV.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by warbird72
For sale. Many rc planes
Register them before selling, and make sure the new owner reregisters them.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:20 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Lots of worry over something that's not going to happen.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

Wonder if AMA sanctioned events will have a check to ensure all planes are registered? Seems to me if they want FAA to see them as a partner (regardless of whether they get their way or not), and simultaneously demonstrate what they've been saying -- that AMA members are not the problem -- then it seems wise to me that AMA make sure everything flying at their events (and at their club fields) is registered properly.

I suppose they could choose not to do that, but then they run the risk that DOT/FAA sees them as an adversary. I wonder how that will work out?
I am wondering if the FAA will have an agent at the nationals to be sure they don't violate the new 400 foot rule everywhere. And if they do what those huge pattern loops will --look like. Ok I know they ill look like this! _
____________________________U

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 10-20-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yup. As long as it doesn't cost me a penny
Well if it costs something send it wit no check. Say you forgot the check!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Wonder how they plan to "register" all the stuff bought direct from Hong Kong? Not just RTF but parts and pieces to assemble one. They can't even identify just what they want to "register" I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Mike
They did identify what they want to register. All recreational sUAV, all models all drones, any flying recreational, toy's, etc.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Also, the full scale community has a culture of compliance, rather than a culture of trying to figure out ways to not compl
Except for the ones running drugs and stealing airplanes.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:39 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To all you chicken little's out there. quick, sell your equipment before the sky falls. Go look at the "know before you fly" video from the FAA. Probably a bit simplistic but after reading some of the comments here who knows? Notice the "don't fly out of line of sight." When I fly my planes at the club I really try to follow that simple rule! Looks to me like the only segment of our hobby that needs to worry are the FVPers, most of which don't fly in organized clubs or belong the the AMA. I can't see where the FAA and the AMA regulations for "drones" differ all that much. Here is my interpretation of what a drone is. "a remotely controlled flying machine being flown out of the line of sight of it's operator." Please show me where the FAA's interpretation is different. By the way I have read the FAA documents, have you?
Larry
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
To all you chicken little's out there. quick, sell your equipment before the sky falls. Go look at the "know before you fly" video from the FAA. Probably a bit simplistic but after reading some of the comments here who knows? Notice the "don't fly out of line of sight." When I fly my planes at the club I really try to follow that simple rule! Looks to me like the only segment of our hobby that needs to worry are the FVPers, most of which don't fly in organized clubs or belong the the AMA. I can't see where the FAA and the AMA regulations for "drones" differ all that much. Here is my interpretation of what a drone is. "a remotely controlled flying machine being flown out of the line of sight of it's operator." Please show me where the FAA's interpretation is different. By the way I have read the FAA documents, have you?
Larry
Thw FAA said they would register all sUAV not just FPV's. Recently they issued an AC that says you cannot fly over 400 feet everywhere, so no aerobatics or sailplane competition.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:46 AM
larry@coyotenet

Go read the FAA statement.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Ok so that means that after we register our "aircraft", we must get an airwortyness approval from an A&P, then we must fly lo lower than 1,000 feet over populated areas. Right!
Hyperbole knows no bounds apparently. Just because specific activities are covered by FARs, does not mean that all activities are covered by all FARs. Besides, even if that were the case, with a stroke of the pen FAA can exempt if they wish.

By the way, if you read these links on sUAS, you'll see that while an airworthiness certificate is required for civil non-hobby operations, it's not required for model aircraft. Even in the civil use, you have the option of filing for, wait for it...An Exemption (section 333)!

https://www.faa.gov/uas/
Old 10-20-2015, 07:54 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't have to worry about me selling my planes. I fly them until they can't fly any longer. I do restore rc planes. I buy them from people. How are they even going to keep track of this mess? Going to be a huge amount of time and money spent to have people register all of the new and used model aircraft that is out there.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Hyperbole knows no bounds apparently. Just because specific activities are covered by FARs, does not mean that all activities are covered by all FARs. Besides, even if that were the case, with a stroke of the pen FAA can exempt if they wish.

By the way, if you read these links on sUAS, you'll see that while an airworthiness certificate is required for civil non-hobby operations, it's not required for model aircraft. Even in the civil use, you have the option of filing for, wait for it...An Exemption (section 333)!

https://www.faa.gov/uas/
So what is the purpose of posting them if none of them apply? You said applicable FAR's.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

You won't have to worry about me selling my planes. I fly them until they can't fly any longer. I do restore rc planes. I buy them from people. How are they even going to keep track of this mess? Going to be a huge amount of time and money spent to have people register all of the new and used model aircraft that is out there.
I assume they will hire undocumented workers to log all of the registration forms into their computers.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 AM
warbird72

What ever it takes. As long as I don't have to pay for it I'm ok with it
Old 10-20-2015, 08:08 AM
larry@coyotenet

Here is a summary of the proposed rules for small uas
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...AS_Summary.pdf

Notice the last part which defines model aircraft.
Please go here and read the definition

Section 336 of Public Law 112-95.
Sound just like AMA's interpretation doesn't it?
Larry

Last edited by larry@coyotenet; 10-20-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's any number of FAA inspectors at those large events. If an airplane isn't registered, it's pretty darn obvious. Also, the full scale community has a culture of compliance, rather than a culture of trying to figure out ways to not comply.

Really, it's hard to imagine that registering all the aircraft will be that difficult. I create a userid, they give me an N-number. And I'm required to have that N-number on exterior of all my "aircraft". That's so terribly difficult? Why don't we spend this energy complying instead of fighting it. The more we fight it, the more we look like we're part of the problem.
Frankly (no pun intended), I'm all for it. I think licensing + registration would be a better option than perhaps registration alone, but we won't know what's involved until additional details are provided by the FAA regarding the program they're implementing.

From a system implementation perspective, the registration process needs to be simple easy to use by your average non-technical person. If a unique N-number is required for every aircraft that could be cumbersome. Now, if every pilot were assigned one N-number they were allowed to use on all their aircraft that sure would make things easy.

Who knows, since the AMA already requires us to use our AMA number on all our non-indoor aircraft maybe no further action will even be required for AMA members.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 AM
F-16 viperman

Default Registration check at events

Wonder if AMA sanctioned events will have a check to ensure all planes are registered? Seems to me if they want FAA to see them as a partner (regardless of whether they get their way or not), and simultaneously demonstrate what they've been saying -- that AMA members are not the problem -- then it seems wise to me that AMA make sure everything flying at their events (and at their club fields) is registered properly.

I suppose they could choose not to do that, but then they run the risk that DOT/FAA sees them as an adversary. I wonder how that will work out?
You bet You'll have to have the aircraft properly registered at any AMA event or, The insurance is null and void. We all know insurance will look for any way not to pay on a claim!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM
warbird72

That 100 mph apply to turbines?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

I think we need a drone buy back program to get them out of the hands of who uses them illegally. The skies would be safer, and I could probably get back what I have invested rather than .50 on the dollar that the market currently bears.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 AM
warbird72

I will not be paying for a test either.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:20 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They did identify what they want to register. All recreational sUAV, all models all drones, any flying recreational, toy's, etc.

I watched the whole thing "drone and UAV" was the terms used. No specific definition of either was given.As I have stated before you can't force registration until you identify just what is to be registered.
Your guessing that's what they are targeting.
Mike
Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 AM
F-16 viperman

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I watched the whole thing "drone and UAV" was the terms used. No specific definition of either was given.As I have stated before you can't force registration until you identify just what is to be registered.
Your guessing that's what they are targeting.
Mike
They specifically stated that any unmanned aircraft that flies in the NAS is a UAS PERIOD!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.