Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
I propose a 5-day waiting period prior to purchasing a drone....!!! Full FBI Check, 2.5 Million in Insurance Liability and successful completion of a Driver's Training Class for Drones. Then we'll think about granting you the authority to fly that thing that cost $19.95 and fits into the palm of your hand...
At this point I'd be careful what you ask for......................................
No telling what they will come up with next.

Mike
Old 10-21-2015, 05:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Originally Posted by Andy_S
Congratulations on reaching post 19,000.

WOW! 19K posts When do U find time out to FLY?
When I'm not either building or repairing are the best times.
Much of the posting during the years has been during "RCU Build Threads" while waiting for the glue to dry.
Living in this area, if you don't try your best to fly on the days when it is raining on and off, you most certainly would not do much flying.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:10 AM
koastrc

There is times when I don't care for the PIGGS altitude, but in the case of learning to fly he is right. Many clubs or persons in clubs spend hours teaching the art of model aviation. That includes safety. These so called drones are not that hard to get the hang of. No one to teach them what is right and wrong. All the regulations in the world will help.
One more thought. Thousands of hunters enter the forest each year with some pretty high powered guns. How many mass shooting do they have in hunting season around the Nation?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
I listened to the release it doesn't sound like its going to affect AMA members who fly at clubs or within the AMA guidelines if flying on their own. Chances are they are not going to bother you if your not an AMA member as long as you don't attract their attention. What it does do is give some teeth to enforcement if they need it. Not registering your drone is only one more charge they will throw in the basket if need be.

I can't say I feel sorry for those of you who have brought this on yourselves. So much for those of you who came on here and said stuff like "They can't tell me what to do" "Its my right to do what I want." and of course "Show me where it says I can't"

Now watch what happens if people start getting charged/fined/jailed etc. The spoilers will just drop the hobby and move on to spoil something else that people have been enjoying for years without any issues. All one has to do is look at ATV's, Off roading with your vehicle, personal water craft. Just about every leisure activity known has been hijacked by the same mentality resulting in authorities being forced to make rules. Rules are not for the considerate but are put in place to address the inconsiderate knobs.

Dennis
Still asking the question of where is all the staffing going to come from to charge people, fine them or jail them ?
Our government / FAA / DOT does not have the staff now to police and enforce all of the rules and regulations that have already been on the books for many, many years.

I have not seen or talked with an FAA Inspector, I would have to say in over 20 years. Except for my own personal friend of whom is retired from the FAA. You should hear the FAA horror stories that he has to tell and they are not stories about drones or any type of radio controlled aircraft.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:27 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
I propose a 5-day waiting period prior to purchasing a drone....!!! Full FBI Check, 2.5 Million in Insurance Liability and successful completion of a Driver's Training Class for Drones. Then we'll think about granting you the authority to fly that thing that cost $19.95 and fits into the palm of your hand...
I'll Drink to that.
But the way I see some people fly "Traditional" R/C maybe we all should have an R/C Drivers Test Given by some authority other than a club Instructor. But that's a whole nuther Forum. Sorry.

Besides where U getting the Micro Quads for $19,95 ...
Last time I checked the LHS was selling them for $40 bucks.

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-22-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 AM
flyinwalenda

Well the cost of that Faze is down to around $20.00 now plus it comes with a set of reeeeeally tiny "N" numbers to put on it !
Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Still asking the question of where is all the staffing going to come from to charge people, fine them or jail them ?
Our government / FAA / DOT does not have the staff now to police and enforce all of the rules and regulations that have already been on the books for many, many years.

I have not seen or talked with an FAA Inspector, I would have to say in over 20 years. Except for my own personal friend of whom is retired from the FAA. You should hear the FAA horror stories that he has to tell and they are not stories about drones or any type of radio controlled aircraft.
I don't think they have a chance in hell of wholesale enforcement. When they do decide to take one of the idiots to task the means to do so will be in place. Remember jaywalking is an offence in most cities how many times you see someone ticketed. Yet you jaywalk in a manner that makes an officer react or take exception to and you will most likely find yourself on the receiving end of that ticket.

Fly your drone below the radar so to speak and don't draw attention to your activities chances are they look the other way. Fly it in a manner that results in the FAA having to look into your activities and you may find them making an example of you.

I would like to state my opinion here in that I would hope they would throw the book at the idiots and show them some jail time.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Granpooba

They don['t, in fact I suspect this is mostly an effort to justify more people. But I bet most do not end up policing drones.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

All the regulations in the world will help.
How the he_double_hockey_sticks will regulations help? Many of these people go to Wall Mart, buy a quad, then go to nearest open area (lot's of open area around airports) and fly. They never think to look at a regulation.

IMO the best method would be to require big red stickers warning of danger flying near airports, and a pamphlets inside the box with more detail.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:52 AM
Lamoilleriver

Excuse me while I temporarily remove my tin foil hat, maybe the whole process is geared towards getting folks used to the fact that the government owns the airspace and regulates it and when businesses like Fed-ex, UPS, etc. need unfettered airspace for their delivery systems(drones)they will be able to dismiss/control us hobbyists.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Well the cost of that Faze is down to around $20.00 now plus it comes with a set of reeeeeally tiny "N" numbers to put on it !
Speaking of "N" Numbers this is only part of the FAR concerning them
We have a lot ot look forward to if the FAA ever gets serious. I believe they have been at this since around 2008 or
thereabouts. I would have just posted the URL but this is more fun.
[h=2]PART 45—IDENTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION MARKING[/h][h=2]§45.27 Location of marks; nonfixed-wing aircraft.[/h](a) Rotorcraft. Each operator of a rotorcraft must display on that rotorcraft horizontally on both surfaces of the cabin, fuselage, boom, or tail the marks required by §45.23.
(b) Airships. Each operator of an airship must display on that airship the marks required by §45.23, horizontally on—
(1) The upper surface of the right horizontal stabilizer and on the under surface of the left horizontal stabilizer with the top of the marks toward the leading edge of each stabilizer; and
(2) Each side of the bottom half of the vertical stabilizer.
(c) Spherical balloons. Each operator of a spherical balloon must display the marks required by §45.23 in two places diametrically opposite and near the maximum horizontal circumference of that balloon.
(d) Nonspherical balloons. Each operator of a nonspherical balloon must display the marks required by §45.23 on each side of the balloon near its maximum cross section and immediately above either the rigging band or the points of attachment of the basket or cabin suspension cables.
(e) Powered parachutes and weight-shift-control aircraft. Each operator of a powered parachute or a weight-shift-control aircraft must display the marks required by §§45.23 and 45.29(b)(2) of this part. The marks must be displayed in two diametrically opposite positions on the fuselage, a structural member, or a component of the aircraft and must be visible from the side of the aircraft.
[Doc. No. 2047, 29 FR 3223, Mar. 11, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 45-15, 48 FR 11392, Mar. 17, 1983; Amdt. 45-24, 69 FR 44863, July 27, 2004; Amdt. 45-25, 72 FR 52469, Sept. 14, 2007]

[h=2]§45.29 Size of marks.[/h](a) Except as provided in paragraph (f) of this section, each operator of an aircraft must display marks on the aircraft meeting the size requirements of this section.
(b) Height. Except as provided in paragraph (h) of this part, the nationality and registration marks must be of equal height and on—
(1) Fixed-wing aircraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that:
(i) An aircraft displaying marks at least 2 inches high before November 1, 1981 and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed;
(ii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on a glider;
(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under §21.191 (d), §21.191 (g), or §21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS; and
(iv) Marks may be displayed on an exhibition, antique, or other aircraft in accordance with §45.22.
(2) Airships, spherical balloons, nonspherical balloons, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft must be at least 3 inches high; and
(3) Rotorcraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that rotorcraft displaying before April 18, 1983, marks required by §45.29(b)(3) in effect on April 17, 1983, and rotorcraft manufactured on or after April 18, 1983, but before December 31, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed.
(c) Width. Characters must be two-thirds as wide as they are high, except the number “1”, which must be one-sixth as wide as it is high, and the letters “M” and “W” which may be as wide as they are high.
(d) Thickness. Characters must be formed by solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high.
(e) Spacing. The space between each character may not be less than one-fourth of the character width.
(f) If either one of the surfaces authorized for displaying required marks under §45.25 is large enough for display of marks meeting the size requirements of this section and the other is not, full size marks must be placed on the larger surface. If neither surface is large enough for full-size marks, marks as large as practicable must be displayed on the larger of the two surfaces. If no surface authorized to be marked by §45.27 is large enough for full-size marks, marks as large as practicable must be placed on the largest of the authorized surfaces. However, powered parachutes and weight-shift-control aircraft must display marks at least 3 inches high.
(g) Uniformity. The marks required by this part for fixed-wing aircraft must have the same height, width, thickness, and spacing on both sides of the aircraft.
(h) After March 7, 1988, each operator of an aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWIZ must display on that aircraft temporary or permanent nationality and registration marks at least 12 inches high.
[Doc. No. 2047, 29 FR 3223, Mar. 11, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 45-2, 31 FR 9863, July 21, 1966; Amdt. 45-9, 42 FR 41102, Aug. 15, 1977; Amdt. 45-13, 46 FR 48604, Oct. 1, 1981; Amdt. 45-15, 48 FR 11392, Mar. 17, 1983; Amdt. 45-17, 52 FR 34102, Sept. 9, 1987; 52 FR 36566, Sept. 30, 1987; Amdt. 45-24, 69 FR 44863, July 27, 2004; Amdt.45-25, 72 FR 52469, Sept. 14, 2007]
OH Crap here's the URL good luck.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...#se14.1.45_129

Old 10-22-2015, 06:21 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Excuse me while I temporarily remove my tin foil hat, maybe the whole process is geared towards getting folks used to the fact that the government owns the airspace and regulates it and when businesses like Fed-ex, UPS, etc. need unfettered airspace for their delivery systems(drones)they will be able to dismiss/control us hobbyists.
Now that an Interesting Theory ... Guess We'll just have to wait and see.
FAA's been given till the middle of November 2015 ... Hope they Keep this deadline like all the others.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:23 AM
ma_mulcahy

I think the NRA and AMA should join forces...... The NRA has been pretty successful preventing this whole registration process from moving forward......lol
Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

how do you know when you are at 400 feet??and i will do what i feel like
Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Propworn
I don't think they have a chance in hell of wholesale enforcement. When they do decide to take one of the idiots to task the means to do so will be in place. Remember jaywalking is an offence in most cities how many times you see someone ticketed. Yet you jaywalk in a manner that makes an officer react or take exception to and you will most likely find yourself on the receiving end of that ticket.
All enforcement is after the fact i.e. after they catch U.

Fly your drone below the radar so to speak and don't draw attention to your activities chances are they look the other way. Fly it in a manner that results in the FAA having to look into your activities and you may find them making an example of you.
Fine till some Drone Hater flying buddy turns U in.

I would like to state my opinion here in that I would hope they would throw the book at the idiots and show them some jail time.
Could not of said it better ... Unfortunately they Gota catch'em first
Dennis
Again U can't Educate some one that doesn't want to be educated.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have suggested, in another thread, instruction and testing before being allowed to operate anything R/C. The scale hydroplane club I belong to requires a verbal and performance test before you can race the first time and judges that call the driving errors while racing. I had to take the performance test twice, made the mistake of looking away from my boat for less than 2 seconds, ended up with major damage the first time.
Anyway, my point is that if the AMA and DOT/FAA want to eliminate the problem and feel education is the first step, this would be a good place to start. Have the AMA and/or FAA certify instructors to teach a free class on the "Rules of the Sky" and require the new person to pass the class before letting them pick up the "drone". Obviously, this would leave a loophole when ordered from overseas or given as a gift but it wouldn't hurt

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-22-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by [email protected]
how do you know when you are at 400 feet??and i will do what i feel like
"and i will do what i feel like"
Carefull of what U post on the internet less it be used against U in a court of law.

Telemetry is how U know your altitude i.e. 400' . Most radio systems have some version to day. Can be/Should be built into every Receiver and possibly with GPS soft where to limit altitude and won't even let U fly within 5 miles of an airport. Some Quads already do have it.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:42 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by ma_mulcahy
I think the NRA and AMA should join forces...... The NRA has been pretty successful preventing this whole registration process from moving forward......lol
As the Old German Soldier used to say on Laugh In.

"VERY INTERESTING".
Old 10-22-2015, 07:10 AM
Hydro Junkie

And here's an example of a radio with an altimeter:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk9511.html
Old 10-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by HoundDog
As the Old German Soldier used to say on Laugh In.

"VERY INTERESTING".
You forgot the second half:
"But Stupid"
Old 10-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
How the he_double_hockey_sticks will regulations help? Many of these people go to Wall Mart, buy a quad, then go to nearest open area (lot's of open area around airports) and fly. They never think to look at a regulation.

IMO the best method would be to require big red stickers warning of danger flying near airports, and a pamphlets inside the box with more detail.

We in Canada have had that a long time. Notices, pamphlets, stickers even notices on the web sights that sell them. It doesn't make a stitch of difference. It seems the opinion all over is if you buy it over the counter and don't have to register it there are no rules you have to worry about.

Even when the warnings on web sights and on the counter exist I have witnessed a salesman at Henry's Camera tell two young ladies from university they should be able to teach themselves how to fly the Phantom with Go Pro in short order. He also told them there was no licence required you could fly them just about anywhere.

Sometimes the people selling them are not informed or just don't care.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
You forgot the second half:
"But Stupid"
LOL !!!

I also remember Laugh In . Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz are we old or what ?
Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And here's an example of a radio with an altimeter:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk9511.html
$1099.99
Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
$1099.99
It may cost ten times as much with FAA approval.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:54 AM
franklin_m

So I wonder how AMA will respond to folks like Sullenberger and his concerns? From "The Hill" today:

"Hero pilot endorses drone geo-fencing bill"

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...o-fencing-bill

Last edited by franklin_m; 10-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.