Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Don't mater if the FAA/NTSB/AMA mandate displaying of Registration numbers on your model then so be it. Hope U can figure out how to get 12" or even 3" "N" Numbers on your Quad or 40 size trainer. FAR PART 45-29 Size of Markings
http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...art_45-29.html
I appreciate the humor, but I suspect it won't be difficult for the FAA will write a rule to define the size of markings required on sUAS.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Dokesflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Well what we've spent so far has netted us what? Did you see the registration thing coming or the DOT becoming involved? As I see it this is a new game with the DOT and any "deals" we had are now on the table. Only a complete fool would think that we are not in danger of our hobby being changed forever. Maybe distancing our organization for the whole "drone"/ UAV thing may not have been a bad thing after all.

Mike
The answer is YES to seeing the registration coming! And here's a little history. The ARC formed in 2008 had NOTHING to do with FPV, drones or multicopters. And neither did 336. The concerns in 2008 were for traditional model aircraft in terms of weight, size and speed. What most of you fly. Members of the ARC other than AMA brought up turbines, large scale model aircraft and altitudes. The 2012 336 law was developed and enacted before drone issues appeared on the radar screen. Again having all to do with protecting traditional model aviation over anything else. And yes, registration, testing or training of modelers has always been a topic of discussion in committees including the ARC in 2008.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Tell ya what U keep telling them Lies and I'll swear to it LOL
Darn here it is almost 10 am and I ain't at the field yet. Dam Putter.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:59 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Andy_S
franklin_m, all good points, and I hadn't even considered Mixed Use airports. I certainly think that in terms of what is likely to happen, AMA members are going to be the starting point for any FAA registration program. I only hope that they at least protect their core chartered fields and the members who fly there from negative impacts of the hobby they enjoy. Regarding Leading Indicators captured by the AMA, I can tell you exactly how difficult it is implementing just such a reporting system at a club, been there have the T-shirt.
I argue that it's in their interest to start gathering data. I also reiterate that if folks are as safe as they're saying they are, then what is there to fear. On the other hand, if they're resisting being accountable for the quality of their flying, then perhaps they're not as good as they want others to believe.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Again, apply for a NOTAM. As for giant scale aerobatics, perhaps the answer is smaller aircraft?

As for a sailplane at "thousands of feet," I am of the belief it is a hazard to full scale aircraft. I find it hard to fathom how a pilot on the ground could accurately judge constant bearing decreasing range from the ground with reliability worthy of protecting manned aircraft. The link to the study below shows considerable differences in perceived distance between two objects and actual distance without perspective cues, it warrants bringing sUAS closer to ground and further away from manned aircraft. The manned aircraft has perspective cues given they're field of view includes ground reference. On the other hand, the pilot looking up from the ground has no such perspective cues.

http://jov.arvojournals.org/article....icleid=2191614
They dive as soon as there are any aircraft visible. The couple of times I have seen this there was plenty of time. One had to put the plane in a spin as it was still climbing with full down elevator.

Also free flight sometimes get that high and there is no control at all other than the DT timer. They chose fields well out of most aircraft traffic and launch when there are no aircraft in sight other than a high flying airliner or other jet.

I can't see it as a hazard because there are very few incidents.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
The answer is YES to seeing the registration coming!

And nobody said a word.

Mike
Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

I appreciate the humor, but I suspect it won't be difficult for the FAA will write a rule to define the size of markings required on sUAS.
Why? Any size will not be seen from the ground. If flown low enough to be seen they will be out of the way of aircraft. Rather pointless.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 AM
cj_rumley

Again, apply for a NOTAM. As for giant scale aerobatics, perhaps the answer is smaller aircraft?

As for a sailplane at "thousands of feet," I am of the belief it is a hazard to full scale aircraft. I find it hard to fathom how a pilot on the ground could accurately judge constant bearing decreasing range from the ground with reliability worthy of protecting manned aircraft. The link to the study below shows considerable differences in perceived distance between two objects and actual distance without perspective cues, it warrants bringing sUAS closer to ground and further away from manned aircraft. The manned aircraft has perspective cues given they're field of view includes ground reference. On the other hand, the pilot looking up from the ground has no such perspective cues.

http://jov.arvojournals.org/article....icleid=2191614
There will always be some that will feel a negative impact of effecting measures to do the right thing.
A local club has had multiple noise complaints, and the 'right thing' is bring the noisy models into compliance with the local ordinances. Some responsible modelers using the large gas engines have demonstrated that it can easily be done with canister mufflers and some care in prop selection. The response from the loudest (both engine and verbal emissions) is "you can't put a canister on a warbird." That's the impasse; the rights of a few folks to fly their noisy airplanes trumps the rights of the vast majority of club members to secure continued use of the flying site.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
There will always be some that will feel a negative impact of effecting measures to do the right thing.
A local club has had multiple noise complaints, and the 'right thing' is bring the noisy models into compliance with the local ordinances. Some responsible modelers using the large gas engines have demonstrated that it can easily be done with canister mufflers and some care in prop selection. The response from the loudest (both engine and verbal emissions) is "you can't put a canister on a warbird." That's the impasse; the rights of a few folks to fly their noisy airplanes trumps the rights of the vast majority of club members to secure continued use of the flying site.
I am not talking about something that is the few, nor am I proposing anything dangerous. The AMA rules for aerobatics calls for a box that is over a thousand feet tall, and sailplane competition has been as it is for decades. No mid airs from aerobatic and sailplane competition as I know of, and certainly no major damage or fatalities. NOTAMS are done for some major contests, but not practical for practice or sport flying. I just see no need to give that right away.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I wouldn't think local municipalities would grant exceptions for warbirds. In this situation the club should take action against the offending individuals who are jeopardizing the field for the entire club.

Had a similar situation with a club in my neck of woods. The club leadership immediately enacted a rule requiring canister mufflers and three bladed props, no whining, no exceptions. You don't like it, go fly somewhere else.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why only canister mufflers? Sometimes just closing off one of the pipes to a two pipe pit muffler makes a huge difference. Some engines are luggers and just a larger prop would do the job. Others may be too loud with a canister muffler and three blade prop. Why not simply use a Db meter and require the engine to be below the municipality law?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why only canister mufflers? Sometimes just closing off one of the pipes to a two pipe pit muffler makes a huge difference. Some engines are luggers and just a larger prop would do the job. Others may be too loud with a canister muffler and three blade prop. Why not simply use a Db meter and require the engine to be below the municipality law?
There was no municipal violation. A neighbor complained about the noise to the owner of the property that the club uses. The property owner and club president made the decision to follow the AMA's noise abatement recommendations:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/927.pdf
Old 10-23-2015, 12:00 PM
XMech2k
My Feedback: (2)

Relax. Take a few deep breathes. Now listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TchjQ9v6ZoQ They don't want to register every single RC flying thing. Remain calm.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by XMech2k
Relax. Take a few deep breathes. Now listen to this:

They don't want to register every single RC flying thing. Remain calm.
+10. I didn't listen to it, watched most of the original presser and although the term "aircraft" was mentioned, it sure sounded like it wasn't every flying aircraft. It sounded like the direction they were heading was FPV/Drone aircraft of a certain weight and size. I've already said I don't believe we will ever have to register all aircraft, there is just no way to realistically do that, or track it. It's one of those things we're going to have to see shake out.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Andy_S

The only information I get from the video is that regarding the NPRM and it sounds like the press release pre-dates the registration announcement made the other day. I say that because they're talking about a comment period, and the comment period for the NPRM is closed as of April 24.

Last edited by Andy_S; 10-23-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: the other day, not yesterday
Old 10-23-2015, 12:57 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why? Any size will not be seen from the ground. If flown low enough to be seen they will be out of the way of aircraft. Rather pointless.
The goal is not to see them in flight, but rather to have them on the aircraft when it ends up somewhere it shouldn't so they can track down the owner. FAA is already working on technology to bring down a drone electronically. That plus a mandatory registration number on the bird will allow them a much better chance of finding the owner / violator.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 PM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Flying a model airplane, like driving a car, is a privilege. Not a right.
You're kidding aren't you?... that can't be serious... Its absolutely my right! What a ridiculous statement.

.... and no, I wouldn't register anything I have that flies.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The goal is not to see them in flight, but rather to have them on the aircraft when it ends up somewhere it shouldn't so they can track down the owner. FAA is already working on technology to bring down a drone electronically. That plus a mandatory registration number on the bird will allow them a much better chance of finding the owner / violator.
Understand the tracking idea but what's to stop the 'original' owner from claiming that he/she sold/gave away the aircraft and doesn't remember/know the name of the buyer......think that the system will be so complex that it will require transfer of ownership information to be recorded/kept/provided to the authorities.....what a logistical nightmare that could/would be
Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Understand the tracking idea but what's to stop the 'original' owner from claiming that he/she sold/gave away the aircraft and doesn't remember/know the name of the buyer......think that the system will be so complex that it will require transfer of ownership information to be recorded/kept/provided to the authorities.....what a logistical nightmare that could/would be
Would you object to notifying DMV that a vehicle no longer belongs to you? I sure wouldn't, no way would I let my liability remain after transfer to another owner. As for a registration tag on toy airplane I get rid of, I can deal with the logistical nightmare of removing the tag.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:23 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
+10. I didn't listen to it, watched most of the original presser and although the term "aircraft" was mentioned, it sure sounded like it wasn't every flying aircraft. It sounded like the direction they were heading was FPV/Drone aircraft of a certain weight and size. I've already said I don't believe we will ever have to register all aircraft, there is just no way to realistically do that, or track it. It's one of those things we're going to have to see shake out.
Concur with Andy_S, that is from back in February, so drawing conclusions about the effect on a statement made just four days ago is problematic at best.

With respect to registration, I'd put more weight on the announcement made by the Secretary of Transportation. Fortunately, an exact transcript of it is readily available. The source is cited below in a hyperlink. For your convenience though, I've attached a version of that statement that includes line number for a common frame of reference.

(1) I call your attention to lines 39-40 of the attached transcript where the Secretary of Transportation says: "We are going to require all operators of drones to register their aircraft – just like commercial drone operators do currently."

(2) As to applicability to model flights, I encourage you to look at lines 46-47 where the Secretary of Transportation says that "...registration will reinforce the need for unmanned aircraft users, including consumers and hobbyists, to operate their drones safely."

So, I struggle to see how anyone could do a plain language read of the Secretary's statement from the 19th and not conclude the DOT/FAA goal is to register "all" drones, including those used by "hobbyists."

Lastly, given the rapidly increasing number of sUAS that are driving the need for this regulation, I suspect they'll find a way to register just about anything they want to register.
[ATTACH]2127253[/IMG]

Source : https://www.transportation.gov/brief...n-announcement
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DOT Statement 20151019.pdf (46.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-23-2015, 02:25 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Not nearly so difficult I think. It's just a matter of book keeping.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:05 PM
rcmiket

. I say that because they're talking about a comment period, and the comment period for the NPRM is closed as of April 24.
I did get in my time machine went back and updated my original comments to them to include "registration"

Mike
Old 10-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Andy_S

If you went back in time, I don't think anything you did can be considered updating.
Seriously though, was there something regarding registration in the NPRM? I don't get your meaning.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The ENLIGHTENED, PROGRESSIVE, FPV EMBRACING, AMA APOLOGISTS are quick to say that nothing more could have been done....ARE YOU TOO...???

[not aimed at last response, just general rhetoric.]
Old 10-23-2015, 04:14 PM
rcmiket

If you went back in time, I don't think anything you did can be considered updating.
Seriously though, was there something regarding registration in the NPRM? I don't get your meaning.
Time travel rules don't allow me to make changes that effect future events.
Geezz, it was a joke.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.