Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:20 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Current as of March 2011
Source: FAA

2011 totals are forecasts.
Subtotals might not add to totals due to rounding, estimation, and/or survey procedures.
(1) Revised to correct for nonresponse bias on FAA GA Activity Survey
(2) Revised due to change in estimating procedures for the 1996 FAA GA Activity Survey
NA=Not Available

[TABLE="class: default"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Year[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Piston
Single
Engine
[/TD]
Multi-
Engine
[/TD]
Other
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Total
Piston
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Turbo-
prop
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Turbo-
jet
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Rotor-
craft
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Experimental[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Other[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]TOTAL[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2011[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]139,010[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]16,170[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]155,180[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9,340[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]11,925[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10,420[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]24,685[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]12,925[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]224,475[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2010[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]139,818[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]16,322[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]156,140[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9,225[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]11,568[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10,165[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]24,591[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]12,183[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]224,172[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2009[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]140,649[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]16,475[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]157,124[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9,098[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]11,268[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9,984[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]24,419[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]12,027[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]223,920[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

From this matrix U can see the total number or currently registered aircraft in the USA as of 2011 were 224,475. For the last year the FAA has been cleaning out their US registration Data Base as there were many aircraft in the data base that were no longer flying for a number of reasons.
It's less than a quarter of a milion. If there 180,000 RC pilots that are AMA members and they estimate that non AMA members are 3 times that our number and each one has just one plane, U quickly see registering R/C craft will be a monumental task. If anything like Registration is implemented it should be the Pilot registered, Like we AMA members are.
Like required by the AMA Rules the Pilots AMA number and name and address and phone number must be in the craft. At any time any official law enforcement officer may inspect any thing they sees U flying for the required information. What they can do about it I say issue a ticket and confiscate the offending aircraft.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Andy_S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Time travel rules don't allow me to make changes that effect future events.
Geezz, it was a joke.

Mike
Sorry, I thought you meant there was something I missed to link it to the registration issue.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Time travel rules don't allow me to make changes that effect future events.
Geezz, it was a joke.

Mike
Even I got it...ha! Must have been confusing given the 10-21-2015 anniversary date.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.png
Views:	80
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2127261  
Old 10-23-2015, 04:36 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Andy_S
Sorry, I thought you meant there was something I missed to link it to the registration issue.
No problem sir. I try to find a bit of humor here and there or I'd go nuts.

Mike
Old 10-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Andy_S

Originally Posted by porcia83
Even I got it...ha! Must have been confusing given the 10-21-2015 anniversary date.

Oh, right, you're the guy who didn't know what was in the video.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Andy_S

No problem sir. I try to find a bit of humor here and there or I'd go nuts.

Mike
That's a service Porcia and Combatpigg provide!
Old 10-23-2015, 04:59 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
(1) Embrace registration of all sUAS flown outdoors, and registrations will be done by the Feds. Concurrently, push that rather than registering each individual aircraft, a single registration number would be issued to the pilot (which is really the source of the problem isn't it?). Add the requirement that registration numbers shall be displayed on the exterior, and that sUAS owners shall remove their number upon sale or transfer. Demonstrate support for the DOT/FAA by requiring proper display of registration data for flight at AMA charted clubs, AMA sponsored events, etc. Show that AMA is willing to enforce on it's own to prove we want to be part of the solution. Premise is that if we're as good at putting AMA numbers in/on planes as we say we are, it's no big change. (For scale competitions, the number is an allowed exception).

(2) Put in place mishap data collection at all AMA chartered clubs as a condition of the charter. Data would be entered by club safety officer for events at the club, and create a way for individuals to enter data for events that are not at club fields (park fliers, private land, etc.). If the data is used in a non-punitive way, and if AMA puts in place ways to ensure / encourage reporting, then the data will become very useful. IF, and I say IF, we're as safe as we've been saying we are, then what's to fear? We could, I'd argue in the space of a year, be able to go back to the FAA with data that says though our sUAS crash, they seldom if ever crash off an AMA field (for those flights), seldom if ever crash close to humans on the ground, or seldom, if every cause property damage or injury. Mountains of data create a powerful argument for rebutting government / media / public policy makers.

(3) Embrace altitude deconfliction. Restrict AMA programming to be flights below 400' AGL. I think this will meet with some resistance, but that is the surest way to minimize chances that AMA programming sUAS will not come in conflict with full scale. If some activities have a compelling need to exceed this, then apply for a NOTAM.

(4) Present waiver revocations, large aircraft crash history info where CDs and such can make risk management decisions. As an operation officer scheduling flight crews, I knew which pilots and aircraft required more attention / care in scheduling than others. Contrast this with our system now where AMA only publishes who's waiver is currently expired. I can speculate that a CD who's looking at pilots might look differently at someone who's had his waiver pulled a couple times than someone who has a clean record. Now, I'm sure some will say "but we know in the community." I don't disagree, but people behave differently when they know their name might appear on a list. If the goal is safe operations in compliance with rules, isn't that the desired effect anyway? Again, I'd add that if we're as good as we say, it shouldn't be an issue.

(5) Self police. We need to be each other's keeper and stop tolerating behaviors that are not in compliance with AMA programming. I'm going to generalize, but I know we've all seen it, done it, etc. The point here is that nobody enjoys doing this, but the reality is that we're one major incident away from draconian oversight. Let's work together, actively police ourselves, and "not hand them a stick to beat us with."
I vehemently disagree! (with the exception of #5. this has been in place and has proven to be VERY effective). Those of us that practice "traditional" model aviation have an impeccable, 80-year history of enjoying our hobby without any issues. The restrictions you mention are completely unacceptable and unnecessary in my opinion. OUR TRACK RECORD (pre-drone) is IMPECCABLE and there is no data to merit ANY of these changes. The AMA needs to distance itself from drones, and drones (that are operated in any way OTHER than traditional modeling activities, or away from fields that are associated with AMA affiliated clubs) should be regulated by however the FAA sees fit, and should start their own CBO to lobby on their behalf.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Andy_S

I think there is a viable culture of safety in traditional modelling, AMA fields, etc. I don't mean to imply anything about your club, but as we talked about it earlier, there often isn't an active crash reporting program to provide real data, I think Franklin called it Leading data about our safety track record. I can tell you we implemented a rule at our club requiring the reporting of out of bounds crashes and it went over like a stink bomb. Among the things said were that the board didn't have the authority to mandate who needed assistance with their flying and who didn't. You almost have to look at registration and say well, shucks, I hope the FAA is a high enough authority for you guys. It sure is rough when the AMA charter isn't good enough to manage its own crashes.

Last edited by Andy_S; 10-23-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Many grammatical errors!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:40 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

That's a service Porcia and Combatpigg provide!
Free of charge too, well worth the price.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:52 PM
astrohog

I think there is a viable culture of safety in traditional modelling, AMA fields, etc. I don't mean to imply anything about your club, but as we talked about it earlier, there often isn't an active crash reporting program to provide real data, I think Franklin called it Leading data about our safety track record. I can tell you we implemented a rule at our club requiring the reporting of out of bounds crashes and it went over like a stink bomb. Among the things said were that the board didn't have the authority to mandate who needed assistance with their flying and who didn't. You almost have to look at registration and say well, shucks, I hope the FAA is a high enough authority for you guys. It sure is rough when the AMA charter isn't good enough to manage its own crashes.
I don't think any of this drama is about managing crashes of "traditional" model aircraft at dedicated flying sites. At least I am failing to see the connection.

Astro
Old 10-23-2015, 05:53 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I once worked for the Federal Agency responsible for keeping track of Dangerous Consumer activities. RC Flying was SO LOW on the list it wasn't even mentioned!
This was before the Drone problem. The issue is now fear of collision with Commercial Aircraft for the most part. Numerous situations have been noted by commercial pilots raising an alarm.
The current issue is now out of hand regarding some Drone operators. That's where the focus should be.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 PM
HoundDog

(1) Embrace registration of all sUAS flown outdoors, and registrations will be done by the Feds. Concurrently, push that rather than registering each individual aircraft, a single registration number would be issued to the pilot (which is really the source of the problem isn't it?). Add the requirement that registration numbers shall be displayed on the exterior, and that sUAS owners shall remove their number upon sale or transfer. Demonstrate support for the DOT/FAA by requiring proper display of registration data for flight at AMA charted clubs, AMA sponsored events, etc. Show that AMA is willing to enforce on it's own to prove we want to be part of the solution. Premise is that if we're as good at putting AMA numbers in/on planes as we say we are, it's no big change. (For scale competitions, the number is an allowed exception).

(2) Put in place mishap data collection at all AMA chartered clubs as a condition of the charter. Data would be entered by club safety officer for events at the club, and create a way for individuals to enter data for events that are not at club fields (park fliers, private land, etc.). If the data is used in a non-punitive way, and if AMA puts in place ways to ensure / encourage reporting, then the data will become very useful. IF, and I say IF, we're as safe as we've been saying we are, then what's to fear? We could, I'd argue in the space of a year, be able to go back to the FAA with data that says though our sUAS crash, they seldom if ever crash off an AMA field (for those flights), seldom if ever crash close to humans on the ground, or seldom, if every cause property damage or injury. Mountains of data create a powerful argument for rebutting government / media / public policy makers.

(3) Embrace altitude deconfliction. Restrict AMA programming to be flights below 400' AGL. I think this will meet with some resistance, but that is the surest way to minimize chances that AMA programming sUAS will not come in conflict with full scale. If some activities have a compelling need to exceed this, then apply for a NOTAM.

(4) Present waiver revocations, large aircraft crash history info where CDs and such can make risk management decisions. As an operation officer scheduling flight crews, I knew which pilots and aircraft required more attention / care in scheduling than others. Contrast this with our system now where AMA only publishes who's waiver is currently expired. I can speculate that a CD who's looking at pilots might look differently at someone who's had his waiver pulled a couple times than someone who has a clean record. Now, I'm sure some will say "but we know in the community." I don't disagree, but people behave differently when they know their name might appear on a list. If the goal is safe operations in compliance with rules, isn't that the desired effect anyway? Again, I'd add that if we're as good as we say, it shouldn't be an issue.

(5) Self police. We need to be each other's keeper and stop tolerating behaviors that are not in compliance with AMA programming. I'm going to generalize, but I know we've all seen it, done it, etc. The point here is that nobody enjoys doing this, but the reality is that we're one major incident away from draconian oversight. Let's work together, actively police ourselves, and "not hand them a stick to beat us with."

I vehemently disagree! (with the exception of #5. this has been in place and has proven to be VERY effective). Those of us that practice "traditional" model aviation have an impeccable, 80-year history of enjoying our hobby without any issues. The restrictions you mention are completely unacceptable and unnecessary in my opinion. OUR TRACK RECORD (pre-drone) is IMPECCABLE and there is no data to merit ANY of these changes. The AMA needs to distance itself from drones, and drones (that are operated in any way OTHER than traditional modeling activities, or away from fields that are associated with AMA affiliated clubs) should be regulated by however the FAA sees fit, and should start their own CBO to lobby on their behalf.

Regards,

Astro

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about other clubs but I'll bet if U tried any of Mr franklin_m Ideas even #5 would do nothing but create DISSENSION among the troops. U would not believe the arguments and in fighting it will/could/might cause, if not cause the demise of the club.

franklin_m I think U should set up a trial implantation, at your local club, and report after a 6 months or so how it worked out and how well your club members accepted your ideas. And if your members are as safe as U/They/AMA believe as U state in the last sentence of #4. I'm not trying to belittle any of your Ideas but I know from first hand experience what any extra Rules and or Regs will due to the working harmony of the group, Just saying been there dun that and it wasn't pretty.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not nearly so difficult I think. It's just a matter of book keeping.
"Officer, I have no idea who was flying the drone, as it was stolen from my vehicle!"......prove otherwise if you can
Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
"Officer, I have no idea who was flying the drone, as it was stolen from my vehicle!"......prove otherwise if you can
If accountability is taken to the extreme I look forward to seeing your proposed strategy tested rigorously and vigorously.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:47 AM
flyer7007
My Feedback: (20)

Here is an idea how about just outlawing the drones. I have flown for 40 years never needed a camera, never programmed my plane where I wanted it to go. I see no need for them in our hobby, learn to fly or find something else to do.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:27 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by astrohog

Regards,

Astro

So is this an example of that "IMPECCABLE" record of flying without issues?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrBl3eDxgH4

Or perhaps this is an example of flying without issues?
http://www.theledger.com/article/20150306/NEWS/150309544

Or this one?
http://www.suasnews.com/2011/03/4833...cident-report/

Or maybe this one? (My understanding he was VP of his club...my point is that if the VP doesn't follow rules, what are chances others do?) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/ny...park.html?_r=0

With such an "IMPECCABLE" record, I was surprised to see how easy it was to find video and stories of accidents. (FYI, there's plenty more out there but some of the photos are a bit explicit).

Last edited by franklin_m; 10-24-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:37 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I don't know about other clubs but I'll bet if U tried any of Mr franklin_m Ideas even #5 would do nothing but create DISSENSION among the troops. U would not believe the arguments and in fighting it will/could/might cause, if not cause the demise of the club. franklin_m I think U should set up a trial implantation, at your local club, and report after a 6 months or so how it worked out and how well your club members accepted your ideas. And if your members are as safe as U/They/AMA believe as U state in the last sentence of #4. I'm not trying to belittle any of your Ideas but I know from first hand experience what any extra Rules and or Regs will due to the working harmony of the group, Just saying been there dun that and it wasn't pretty.

Houndog. The point here is that this data collection system is not intended to target members, but rather to be able to defend the AMA's "programming" effectiveness with hard data. As I said early on, the FAA was, is, and will continue to collect data showing that sUAS are increasingly a problem for full scale aircraft. Our hobby responds by saying that "We're safe, we've been so for XX years." Well, the FAA can google just as easily as I can, and it takes almost no effort to find examples of serious RC mishaps and injuries. So, if you're an FAA regulator, policy maker, or legislator and you have an organization saying "we're safe," but you easily find examples that cause you to question that, it creates a disconnect.

So, the collecting of mishap data from clubs is intended to fight data with data.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:27 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by flyer7007
Here is an idea how about just outlawing the drones. I have flown for 40 years never needed a camera, never programmed my plane where I wanted it to go. I see no need for them in our hobby, learn to fly or find something else to do.
I realize that some of us O'L Farts still live in the past. Bet U never learned to program the VCR, Just lived with the wrong blinking time. IMHO Traditional R/C modeling get's Boring but then there some of us just are Boring.

"BORING"
Old 10-24-2015, 04:41 AM
HoundDog

Houndog. The point here is that this data collection system is not intended to target members, but rather to be able to defend the AMA's "programming" effectiveness with hard data. As I said early on, the FAA was, is, and will continue to collect data showing that sUAS are increasingly a problem for full scale aircraft. Our hobby responds by saying that "We're safe, we've been so for XX years." Well, the FAA can google just as easily as I can, and it takes almost no effort to find examples of serious RC mishaps and injuries. So, if you're an FAA regulator, policy maker, or legislator and you have an organization saying "we're safe," but you easily find examples that cause you to question that, it creates a disconnect.

So, the collecting of mishap data from clubs is intended to fight data with data.
Any one can make DATA say or prove anything the presenter wants to. So instead of Fighting the FAA and anyone else that might not like Quads, Lets concentrate or efforts to get the Public.FAA/everyone that much Like Guns, that it's not the Quads it's+ the ROUGE individual causing the problem. There a Million Quads out there all ready and maybe another million more after Xmas. With this many people flying we should get them to be responsible R/C's and Join up. What would we be with 2,75 Million instead just the poultry 175K of the AMA? Again JMHO
Old 10-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Lamoilleriver

I realize that some of us O'L Farts still live in the past. Bet U never learned to program the VCR, Just lived with the wrong blinking time. IMHO Traditional R/C modeling get's Boring but then there some of us just are Boring.

"BORING"
Some of O'L farts were quite adapt at using black electrical tape to fix the VCR clock, worked well for the DVD player too. Thank goodness for streaming, I was about out of electrical tape.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:03 AM
Andy_S

HoundDog, Nothin for nothin, but rouge is the french word for red.
The AMA has recently made it their mission, from what I can tell, to bring the millions of Quads into the fold. I assume they have been at least somewhat successful with things like the Know before you fly campaign, but there's little mistaking that registration is the federal government's first effort in achieving the same thing.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:16 AM
franklin_m

Any one can make DATA say or prove anything the presenter wants to. So instead of Fighting the FAA and anyone else that might not like Quads, Lets concentrate or efforts to get the Public.FAA/everyone that much Like Guns, that it's not the Quads it's+ the ROUGE individual causing the problem. There a Million Quads out there all ready and maybe another million more after Xmas. With this many people flying we should get them to be responsible R/C's and Join up. What would we be with 2,75 Million instead just the poultry 175K of the AMA? Again JMHO
I don't entirely disagree, except that it's pretty easy to see through less than disciplined (i.e. fudged) data. Like you pointed out, NRA is very effective because when their leadership calls for a letter writing campaign, they tens of thousands easily, perhaps even hundreds of thousands depending on the issue. And those letters don't go to one individual, but representatives in a many states. Contrast that with an organization who's total members numbers less than 200K, with many of them of non-voting age. So I humbly submit that if you don't have big numbers to write a mountain of letters, than you need data.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:39 AM
astrohog

[/SIZE]
The FAA is not concerned with crashes at our fields or people who get bitten by props

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-24-2015, 07:50 AM
astrohog

So is this an example of that "IMPECCABLE" record of flying without issues?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrBl3eDxgH4

Or perhaps this is an example of flying without issues?
http://www.theledger.com/article/20150306/NEWS/150309544

Or this one?
http://www.suasnews.com/2011/03/4833...cident-report/

Or maybe this one? (My understanding he was VP of his club...my point is that if the VP doesn't follow rules, what are chances others do?) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/ny...park.html?_r=0

With such an "IMPECCABLE" record, I was surprised to see how easy it was to find video and stories of accidents. (FYI, there's plenty more out there but some of the photos are a bit explicit).
When the FAA uses the term, "safety" they are more likely referring to how it concerns manned aircraft, not incidents at our flying fields. Where the incident with the manned aircraft was concerned, there was certainly lack of communication somewhere. IMO modeling should NOT take place at a full-scale airport for OBVIOUS reasons!

IMO when modeling activities take place at an established flying field that is associated with an AMA affiliated club every person in attendance (flying or not) understands and assumes that there is a certain risk involved. With that in mind, the track record over MANY DECADES is, as I said, IMPECCABLE.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
There was no municipal violation. A neighbor complained about the noise to the owner of the property that the club uses. The property owner and club president made the decision to follow the AMA's noise abatement recommendations:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/927.pdf
Where does it say you have to use cannister mufflers and three bladed props?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.