Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:38 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by thepamster
Many of you probably aren't seeing it but at the bottom of this page there is an embedded ad for "Drone Law Firm" "We file section 333 Exemptions with the FAA".
Hmmm.
Just thought that was funny.
Nope, my ad is for the Parrot Bebop Drone.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:42 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Nope, my ad is for the Parrot Bebop Drone.
My ad was probably due to recent visits to FAA sites, which begs the question where have you been visiting? Lol.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:51 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thepamster
Many of you probably aren't seeing it but at the bottom of this page there is an embedded ad for "Drone Law Firm" "We file section 333 Exemptions with the FAA".
Hmmm.
Just thought that was funny.
Ironic right? Almost worth unblocking the ads to see it.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:46 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

All this talk about the government registering mulit-rotors and fixed-wing RC craft because of alleged close calls but how much damage have they really caused?
I think the government should learn how to keep track of it's own equipment before trying to legislate/regulate ours. This incident today caused millions in damages.

Register the blimps I say !!
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...mp-breaks-free
Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Well Sport, the FAA is part of the DOT and the DOT gets it's funding through the appropriation process. One of the biggest issues facing the FAA today is what to do about idiot pilots who wont follow the simple safety rules. They have to create a group and staff it to solve this problem. That takes money which then gets appropriated from the General fund. That means that Congress has to review it through these commitees. Each Department gets it's own opportunity to ask (beg) for tax dollars and today was the FAAs turn.

It's not like asking you mom for money to go buy another drone.
While they were talking about money, did they mention the possibility of revenue from sUAV registrations, and what they plan to do with that money?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

There was no discussion of cost in the original presser about the workgroup, or in the call today, at least not that I heard.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:04 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It's difficult to comprehend how stupid your Gov't really is unless you've been in it.
It's more stupid thank you can possibly imagine
A enormous Govt. blimp goes flying through Pa. and cuts power to thousands of homes, closes schools and businesses etc.
Mean while out side of DCA (Regan airport) an RC flying field is closed because of a perceived threat of drones...
The RC Field is with in the 30 mile zone.. Thirty Miles!!! go figure.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 PM
franklin_m

This gets more interesting by the day....and more ominous. I for one am so happy the AMA decided to make quads part of "us." It's working out so well.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:43 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by BobH
It's difficult to comprehend how stupid your Gov't really is unless you've been in it.
It's more stupid thank you can possibly imagine
A enormous Govt. blimp goes flying through Pa. and cuts power to thousands of homes, closes schools and businesses etc.
Mean while out side of DCA (Regan airport) an RC flying field is closed because of a perceived threat of drones...
The RC Field is with in the 30 mile zone.. Thirty Miles!!! go figure.
The problem with government officials Elected, Appointed or just hired for a certain job, Seem to have Little regard for anything that doesn't affect Them Directly. It doesn't mater what or how they regulate it. But if it affects them U can bet your bippy if it's a benefit or some perk it will be top notch. If it's does concern them it doesn't get regulated like if it is something that relatively few participate in. i.e. only 180K to 1/2 million R/C flyers.
They usually go off the deep end and over regulate when their is a perceived crisis.Who said that one should never waste a good crisis? Or something to that effect. It looks like this is the situation here.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:54 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste

All part of the government formula here in Merica:

• Step 1 - wait for tragedy to occur, or actually create the tragedy.
  • Step 2 - spread propaganda through the media, so everyone believes your story about the tragedy
  • Step 3 - pass laws, or institute policies, that take away people's freedoms.
  • Step 4 - justify the increased Tyranny by citing the propaganda in step 2.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
This gets more interesting by the day....and more ominous. I for one am so happy the AMA decided to make quads part of "us." It's working out so well.
We would still be right here where we are, but probably in a worse condition (if there even is one) without the AMA being involved. The issue was coming to a head and you know that probably better than most here, But it's telling to see that you obviously feel like the AMA made a bad decision, and clearly you think it's not going well, and somehow you find joy in that? Let's say you're right, and it's a complete disaster (but it ain't of course), you would actually derive happiness from the failure of an organization? Does the bitterness and scorn for the AMA run that deep? Really?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:12 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
We would still be right here where we are, but probably in a worse condition (if there even is one) without the AMA being involved. The issue was coming to a head and you know that probably better than most here, But it's telling to see that you obviously feel like the AMA made a bad decision, and clearly you think it's not going well, and somehow you find joy in that? Let's say you're right, and it's a complete disaster (but it ain't of course), you would actually derive happiness from the failure of an organization? Does the bitterness and scorn for the AMA run that deep? Really?
Come on nobody finds "joy" in any of this but it does reinforce the fact that maybe we (the AMA) should have gone the other way and distanced our-self's from this rather than embracing it.
The LA ordinance was signed and is another blow to "traditional R/C". This isn't going well and I'm not to sure how bad it's going to get.

Mike
Attached Files
Old 10-29-2015, 04:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste

All part of the government formula here in Merica:

• Step 1 - wait for tragedy to occur, or actually create the tragedy.
  • Step 2 - spread propaganda through the media, so everyone believes your story about the tragedy
  • Step 3 - pass laws, or institute policies, that take away people's freedoms.
  • Step 4 - justify the increased Tyranny by citing the propaganda in step 2.
I'm for as little govt involvement in this hobby as possible, but the reality is the explosion of "drones" has caused a legitimate safety concern. I don't feel that it's from us in the hobby, although it seems most bad press comes from the smaller hobby grade units. Left unchecked and unregulated I could see some safety issues with commercial applications from Amazon and Walmart, and anyone else wanting to get into the game as well. Some politicians of course have blown the situation out of proportions (then again so have some hobbyists too), and once in front of a camera are going to try to squeeze every ounce of political capital out of it. I feel like there are already existing criminal and civil remedies to deal with the lawbreakers and damage doers! Registration of our planes seems ludicrous. I hope it doesn't really come to that.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:33 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Come on nobody finds "joy" in any of this but it does reinforce the fact that maybe we (the AMA) should have gone the other way and distanced our-self's from this rather than embracing it.
The LA ordinance was signed and is another blow to "traditional R/C". This isn't going well and I'm not to sure how bad it's going to get.

Mike
Where was the AMA in this one? Where was the letter writing campaign just like they did for the privacy bill? A city the size of LA passing something like this affects a lot of modelers. Probably as many as a state action elsewhere. Nothing above 400 feet and nothing within 5 miles of airport w/o airport's permission. Sounds familiar.... I thought AMA was fighting to protect rights? Sure looks like they were absent. Or can they only do one thing at a time?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:37 AM
rcmiket

Where was the AMA in this one? Where was the letter writing campaign just like they did for the privacy bill? A city the size of LA passing something like this affects a lot of modelers. Probably as many as a state action elsewhere. Nothing above 400 feet and nothing within 5 miles of airport w/o airport's permission. Sounds familiar.... I thought AMA was fighting to protect rights? Sure looks like they were absent. Or can they only do one thing at a time?
This was sent out but not to everyone I ran across it on another forum
I find it interesting that there is nothing on the AMA site updating just what is happening to our hobby.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 12.04.36 PM (2).png
Views:	50
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	2128188  
Old 10-29-2015, 04:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
"so happy" was his own words....I didn't make that up. It's disappointing to see some of the knee jerk reactions that state of local officials are taking for sure, but to derive pleasure from the supposed failure of the org is just bizarre, imo. I honestly don't know how someone gets to that point, even more so since they belong to that org willingly. We are where we are, not much we can do at this point in going back and wishing things had been done differently. Regardless of the positions we take on the issue, we don't know how it would have turned out regardless of the AMAs involvement. It sucks royally that this hobby got grouped into what is going on, sure some of the dopes using their quads improperly brought some bad press to quads/drones, but this issue is so much bigger than our hobby, it's the prospect of commercial drones zipping around unchecked that I think is the driver here. And although it hasn't received much press, I heard mentioned several times the term military and government drones in the NAS. Now THAT scares me.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

This was sent out but no to everyone I ran across it on another forum
I find it interesting that there is nothing on the AMA site updating just what is happening to our hobby.

Mike
Didn't that notice come from the AMA website, from the VP in that area?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

You obviously missed the letter writing campaign, see the link above for reference. Is the AMA now responsible to react to every town/city ordinance in the country? Is it your position that the AMA has done nothing to protect rights?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:44 AM
rcmiket

Didn't that notice come from the AMA website, from the VP in that area?
I'm in D8 so I did not get it but they did ask for all modelers to respond. Seems like something this detrimental to the hobby would have made it to the main site. It's LA for Gods sake.

Mike
Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 AM
Lamoilleriver

Amazon, Walmart, Fed Ex, UPS, etc., have no intention of allowing their expensive drones to be placed in jeopardy by some 12 year old kid(or any of us kids from 6 to 90) flying a model drone in the neighborhood. Follow the money, we all know where it leads.

Not looking forward to commercial drones "buzzing" around the neighborhood.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm in D8 so I did not get it but they did ask for all modelers to respond. Seems like something this detrimental to the hobby would have made it to the main site. It's LA for Gods sake.

Mike
I think I read ordinance and I think it left some wiggle room there for AMA chartered clubs, I think. I also recall not much time between when they proposed it, to when it was signed (10/14 I believe). I don't know if the AMA has a mechanism in place to deal with town/city ordinances that crop up, hopefully membership sees or hears about this and can bubble the information up to their AVP and VPs and alert them. I would presume that on a state level, our paid "advocates" are on top of this. I know there are services out there that scan state legislative databases and can pull out keywords like "drone" or UAV or RC Models for further review. I doubt there are sufficient funds for the AMA to deal with every local issue that comes up, I think that's unrealistic to expect. I would hope that once alerted to those issues though that membership and AVP/VP in those areas would get involved.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Amazon, Walmart, Fed Ex, UPS, etc., have no intention of allowing their expensive drones to be placed in jeopardy by some 12 year old kid(or any of us kids from 6 to 90) flying a model drone in the neighborhood. Follow the money, we all know where it leads.

Not looking forward to commercial drones "buzzing" around the neighborhood.
Yup! Big industry too..bigger than the retail boys.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:01 AM
rcmiket

I think I read ordinance and I think it left some wiggle room there for AMA chartered clubs, "I think". I also recall not much time between when they proposed it, to when it was signed (10/14 I believe). I don't know if the AMA has a mechanism in place to deal with town/city ordinances that crop up, hopefully membership sees or hears about this and can bubble the information up to their AVP and VPs and alert them. I would presume that on a state level, our paid "advocates" are on top of this. I know there are services out there that scan state legislative databases and can pull out keywords like "drone" or UAV or RC Models for further review. I doubt there are sufficient funds for the AMA to deal with every local issue that comes up, I think that's unrealistic to expect. I would hope that once alerted to those issues though that membership and AVP/VP in those areas would get involved.
So this LA deal is a good thing as you see it? Every thing passed that effects the hobby is a BAD thing.The AMA has no issue sending me emails about irrelevant stuff why not use that same to mobilize the members about this kinda stuff?

Mike
Old 10-29-2015, 05:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

There are a few well healed modelers in LA. Probably even a movie star or two. Suggest AMA look through their membership database and tap them on their shoulder for help.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:03 AM
eaglen2fb
My Feedback: (41)

When Hell Freeze's Over !

Last edited by eaglen2fb; 10-29-2015 at 05:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.