Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 10-30-2015, 05:46 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
LoL..I must have missed the part where I said I 'like" it. Try putting the word in my mouth game with others eh? I'm sure the language would have been perfect had you written it. (sarcasm)

It is what it is. The language isn't perfect, it's never going to be. Is what you see above horrendously damaging to the hobby? Is being asked to remain clear of surrounding obstacles completely outrageous? Oh the humanity. I guess the ATC facility should just let anyone who wants to fly a 50 pound MR linger at the end of a runway to get those great shots of arrivals and departures?

To some degree what you see there isn't that much different than what we are doing now, and won't adversely affect a disproportionate amount of hobbyists who are more than likely operating that way now anyway. Yes yes, I know about soaring and pattern and IMAC etc etc.

And although you are no doubt aware, their are waivers too that can be applied for.

Ok, to be fair you didn't say you like it, but neither did I include those words in quotes. However, you did call attention to that language, and point out that it might not be there for the efforts of the AMA. And in no way indicated disapproval.

Ok, so then am I to believe that the AMA worked to get language limiting sUAS to 400' AGL everywhere? Because that's what a plain language read of 9.c.(2)(a) says. Am I to believe that the AMA worked to get language limiting sUAS (including "models') to no more than 55lbs? Because that's what a plain language read of 9.c.(2)(f) says. Am I to believe the AMA worked for language that allowed airport operators and ATC facilities the ability to deny operations of sUAS? Because that's what a plain language read of 9.c.(3) says. Lastly, I don't see anywhere in there about these being limited to MRs.

Now, while you say this isn't perfect, and challenged me to identify what is "horrendously damaging to the hobby." Personally, I don't think it is, but there have been many in these pages that have said a 400 foot limit would kill jets, kill soaring, kill pattern, and in general result in the end of life on earth as we know it.

Lastly, as for my perceived pleasure at AMA failures. IMO, including MRs, FPV, and autonomous or semi-autonomous navigation (return to origin for example) as part of "us" enabled the technology to flourish, and as a result, has enabled the behaviors by many that are so problematic now. With that in mind, the only way organizations are consequenced for poor decisions is when things go poorly. That consequence can be loss of influence, loss of revenue, loss of members, or all of the above. If indeed I believe the AMA made a bad decision, which I do, then yes, I do want to see AMA consequenced for that decision. Only by suffering consequences will the organization change, which I believe is necessary.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:02 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

To answer the OP's original question: Are you ready to register your aircraft? My answer is a Big NO! IMHO, as I have grown older and hopefully wiser, I see our country, the USA, has gone insane on so many levels. Someone gets hurt, make a law against it to protect the stupid. I think it is insane to register a plane or aircraft that may not make it through the maiden flight.
As an example of what could happen, a student pilot buddy of mine bought a built plane that was an EAA homebuilt kit that didn't have any of the original paperwork of the build or airworthiness certificate. Had pictures of the build by the original owner, who had died. He truly didn't know what he was buying. Myself, a retired ATP Jet Capt, and a buddy of mine, a Chief Mechanic of an Corporate Aviation Dept., with experience dealing with EAA planes, tried to help the student pilot out and help him get through the paperwork to certify the EAA Homebuilt. Even after the homebuilt passed an annual inspection, due to not having the original kit receipt, and other paperwork, the $20K plane couldn't be certified airworthy. It now sets in a trailer in the Florida sun rotting. I now fly planes that are worth over $10K each, of both jets and 40% plus bigger planes. I couldn't find a receipt for any of them if I had too, so, knowing how the FAA works, none of my planes would be certified to fly or register to fly. They would become expensive hanging models in my house. Then, what happens when a new plane has been registered, inspected, and crashes on the maiden? All of that paperwork and the registration fees, or what I call forced taxes for that certificate, would be totally a waste of time and energy. Heck, I flew jets for 20 years prior to retiring due to loosing my medical. I only saw 3 FAA guys on the ramp through out my career. The FAA will never be able to control this endeavor.
Guess what will be next, after passing the registration laws? We will all be required to take a medical examination. I lost my medical and can't even get a Sport Pilot Certificate, so this would mean that I wouldn't be able to fly toy models? INSANE!! And, don't think that they, the FAA and Government, won't go as far to somehow tie the model registration and model medical to our driver's license. So, if you have too many points or DUI's, you can no longer fly a toy model plane?
The other issue I see, is the online registration. Here in Florida, land of the grey hair, at least half of our club membership wouldn't be able to register, due to not having a computer, let alone, knowing how to operate it.
And, the 400 feet would kill jets, 25%+ bigger planes, and sail planes. I moved from St. Pete this past summer due to the reason that the Club's field was within 2.2 km of the center of St. Pete/Clearwater airport. Try to do a loop with a 200mph jet and stay under 400 feet. You will either not do it, or tear the wings off of it trying to do it, other then the Shockwave.
Another example of an insane law in our country, is not being able to drink liquor until the age of 21, due to MADD. Yet, these same young men and women that are between the ages of 18-21 can go off to the GD ME and die for our country, yet, can't go into any club, bar or restaurant to buy a beer or drink before they go off to serve our country. Insane!

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 10-30-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:26 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This may all go away after the Bozo in the White House is gone.. Just don't elect another Bozo.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:45 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH
This may all go away after the Bozo in the White House is gone.. Just don't elect another Bozo.
Well this is the dumbest comment in this thread so far. Congratulations.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:53 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Why? Didn't help when the previous Bozo left!! Looking at the next stable, not much better!!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:04 PM
BobH

That is a problem.. we let bozo's run our country.. and we end up with stupid regulations.. yet we continue to complain and do little as an electorate.. sad actually.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:45 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by thepamster
I agree Pam , the unfair slur on Bozo's good name was totally uncalled for .

As a side note , seeing Bozo's name in print caused me to look "him" up on Wikipedia . As a youngster I always thought Bozo was one guy and not a whole assortment of actors all playing the role , But I guess that's how it was , since the character was a franchise creation to be hired out for promotional purposes . So McDonalds wasn't all that original when they brought out ol "Ronald McDonald" , the clown who killed more folks with his Big Macs than any "Killer Klown" has ever done in the movies .....
Old 10-30-2015, 08:09 PM
BobH

I have to agree.. i apologize to Bozo for the slur to his good name. he deserves better
Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 PM
thepamster

I think Bozos should have a 400ft altitude limit. Lol.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:38 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/obKLdou0LH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-31-2015, 06:19 AM
cj_rumley

I have to agree.. i apologize to Bozo for the slur to his good name. he deserves better
Wrong thread. This one is about a dispute between two bureaucracies, Dronz R Us vs. DOT.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by thepamster
Not to get POLITICAL and get suspended from RCU again. There's a million reasons Pro & Con on the subject. More or less like the proverbial Ford vs Chevy Debate. It human nature if U like one U'll probably Hate the other. That's just the way life goes. But unlike the Ford vs Chevy controversy ,this debate has far more reaching consequences That might/will be with us for decades to come and possibly till the end of the USA as we have known it.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:42 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Your kidding right? Just how will that work? What they'll search every home looking for year old unregistered drones? Let me clue you in on something everything you listed has a title along with a traceable number on it. While some of the higher end "drones" have a serial number unless its registered for warranty with the manufacture it's untraceable. If this registration deal passes (which it probably will) then that's a different story.
Your starting to scare me with this crap.

Mike
Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
I only saw 3 FAA guys on the ramp through out my career. The FAA will never be able to control this endeavor.
I seriously doubt that the FAA will do "spot checks" to ensure that all aircraft are registered. They will, however, happily take legal action against the owner of any unregistered aircraft that in involved in an incident, if registration was required for said aircraft (and if the owner can be identified, of course.)
Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

If the aircraft is not registered, how would they know who owned it? This program is a total waste of time and taxpayer monies.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:24 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

just why dont everyone shut there mouth about drones and see what happens i dont have a drone and will never have one and any one who wants to search my home better have a search warrent> it makes me sick to see so much talk and no action with the flyers
Old 11-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If the aircraft is not registered, how would they know who owned it? This program is a total waste of time and taxpayer monies.
Did you submit your comments? 180k AMA members and only 1,638 comments submitted on-line thus far. What are you doing to rally the troops?

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/
Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

Default Ve must see your papers!

This was an alarming comment noted:

Sellers of RC aircraft are not permitted to sell RC aircraft products to individuals without AMA membership/registration or face steep fines.

As if one must be in the AMA to enjoy RC aircraft.

This was more alarming:

All RC aircraft should be in kit form. No more ready to fly (RTF) models.

Jeez.
But hey, at least it's a comment.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:56 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Did you submit your comments? 180k AMA members and only 1,638 comments submitted on-line thus far. What are you doing to rally the troops?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure you won't like it. Neither will Sporty.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's ironic that some posters here are in total LOCKSTEP with Feinstein's views unless it affects their freedom to enjoy their toys.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM
HoundDog

Today I was at the LHS and asked the counter guy and the owner if they had commented about the situation to the FAA. The counter guy didn't think it was that important and the Owner just ignored my question all together.

Here's my post:
Your Comment Tracking Number: 1jz-8m13-4h9e

For 80 years the AMA and others have been flying Models, sUAS in a responsible and save manor. There have been very few if any conflicts between Full Scale and models. Our record speaks for it's self. The advent of the Quad Copter (Drone) has changed the face of modeling flying. But the Quad it's self (Like Guns) are not the problem. The Individual that refuses to follow the concept of "Know before U fly" and does not comply with the AMA safety code or the present FAR's, Is the Problem. Gun Registration has done nothing to deter gun crime and neither will the cumbersome and expensive Registration of sUAS. People thet disregard the Rules Laws, & FAR's probably will refuse to register their craft. If Registration is required at Point of sale, Just like guns not registered, there ways to get around the Registration by changing out the component that has the Serial number. As for any ID i.e. "N" number they'll just omit it or change it.
Requiring everyone to register their Model Toy airplanes, no mater how small or large is ludicrous. It's not going to solve any problem because in 80 years of model flying There hasn't been any problems. Most R/C model flying of other than very small craft are flown at some kind of organized flying field. If any thing has to be registered it should require registration only when flown at any place other than a certified Model Fling sight. Even if it' a model that is used on a regular flying site most of the time i.e. a model that is flown for demonstration at a school or let say a lake pond as a Amphibian or float plane.
As for a 400' max altitude AGL, is in conflict with with FAR 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes (b) Where it prohibits flying
(over any open air assembly of persons,) I spoke with a person at the PHX FSDO and asked what the FAA considered an
open air assembly of persons. He conferred with some one else and said "It could be a crowd of 33,000+ at a sporting event or as few as 2 people on a blanket having a picnic." That being the FSDO's interpretation of over any open air assembly of persons, and a model flying field is usually occupied by more than a single individual, it is against FAR 91.119 (b) shich states in part no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes: or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

Been flying at a uncontrolled Private Restricted airport fo over 35 years with absolutely no accidents or incidents with Full Scale Aircraft. Another comment is that with in 5mile radius of an air port Full Scale planes should be at pattern Altitude or more. Exception when actually landing and take off or on a Special clearance.

In summery it is my firm belief that the Registration of Toy Airplanes flown at Designated model Sites is a waste of time and effort. The reason is the history of Safety we have demonstrated for the past 80 years.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.
[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]

AMA 382605 EAA 73367 Private Pilots License 2184095
Old 11-02-2015, 05:37 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by combatpigg
It's ironic that some posters here are in total LOCKSTEP with Feinstein's views unless it affects their freedom to enjoy their toys.
There is power in numbers. Apparently AMA members don't give a crap about their Hobby/Sport ... When the Preverbial Sheit hits tha fan the stink will cover all.

Hope U all are ready for a $25 dollar per plane Federal Registration fee. Thats per every R/C toy airplane or flying device u own..
Old 11-02-2015, 05:48 PM
HoundDog

The AMA will simply not allow anyone without the proper Federal Registration to fly on an AMA Chartered Field. If the officers do not enforce FAA Registration the Charter will/should be rescinded and a notice sent by registered mail to the offices of record that the AMA Charter has been revoked and land owner that his insurance coverage has been revoked also.

Sorry Sport but the Monies will not be from the Tax payer but taken from the registration Fees themselves. Hope I'm compleatly wrong but Sheit Happens when people don't take action to save them selves or their hobby.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-02-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
There is power in numbers. Apparently AMA members don't give a crap about their Hobby/Sport ... When the Preverbial Sheit hits tha fan the stink will cover all.

Hope U all are ready for a $25 dollar per plane Federal Registration fee. Thats per every R/C toy airplane or flying device u own..
Originally Posted by HoundDog
The AMA will simply not allow anyone without the proper Federal Registration to fly on an AMA Chartered Field. If the officers do not enforce FAA Registration the Charter will/should be rescinded and a notice sent by registered mail to the offices of record that the AMA Charter has been revoked and land owner that his insurance coverage has been revoked also.

Sorry Sport but the Monies will not be from the Tax payer but taken from the registration Fees themselves. Hope I'm compleatly wrong but Sheit Happens when people don't take action to save them selves or their hobby.
Might be jumpin the gun there dude.....not sure where the registration cost is coming from, or that it's mandatory for each plane, or that the AMA members don't care about it. Haven't seen anything yet to indicate that's the case.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:12 PM
rcmiket

Just what does the low comment count tell you? It was the same during the last comment period if memory serves they got 3300.
Hell some AMA members are just now figuring out there's a dues increase. So much for a informed membership. Untill people are hit in the face with something they just don't care. For the most part we're no different.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-02-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Just what does the low comment count tell you? It was the same during the last comment period if memory serves they got 3300.
Hell some AMA members are just now figuring out there's a dues increase. So much for a informed membership. Untill people are hit in the face with something they just don't care. For the most part we're no different.

Mike
I thought, in between drone sales, you were rallying the troops?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.