Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see any stinking ads!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:38 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Who wrote that is immaterial because after reading it, it perfectly summarizes the prevailing, universal attitude of the Pro AMA FPV Crowd that have chimed in here ...[except for Hound Dog of course].
Old 11-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Well I am pro FPV and I do not agree with what you wrote in red. IMO you through out a red herring! LOL
Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
We have a great time here. No winters and the best part is no state income tax.That's two of the biggest reasons I left N.Y.
Me and Crispy ( or whatever his real name is) have and thing going on he says it's black and I say it's white. About the only thing we agree upon is .......... well nothing.
Mike
No state tax on Social Security ! And it is much easier for me to go skiing rather than sweat out the heat and humidity.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
After observing how this thread has degenerated, the advertisements that pop up are starting to look really interesting.
Then Please take it elsewhere. Not to be rude but Why read and comment on something that just frustrates U anyway ...
Heck it's 65 light winds and sunny in Queensbury, NY
Right now it's 56 and rainy in normally Sunny, Hot AJ AZ.

GO FLY. PLZ

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-04-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Then Please take it elsewhere. Not to be rude but Why read and comment on something that just frustrates U anyway ...
Heck it's 65 light winds and sunny in Queensbury, NY
Right now it's 56 and rainy in normally Sunny, Hot AJ AZ.

GO FLY. PLZ
I FLEW Yesterday! THANKS!!! And... you are rude. That's why I prefer to read the ads!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:50 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't see any stinking ads!
Hey Sport , Me either .

I use firefox with the adblock plus and all I see are the wonderful posts of all you like minded old guys who stay young by flying RC airplanes . Ads in the middle of posts would be a major turnoff for me since I come here to read the posts of real people , rather than the same ol stale advertising garbage that has taken over just about every inch of the internet these days . Yea I know , some would say ; "But the ad money is what keeps the site going" , and maybe so , but just like the ads that show up in my mailbox every day , there is no mandate that I do any more with them then take them from my mailbox to the trash bin .

Last edited by init4fun; 11-04-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-04-2015, 01:41 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't think anyone here cares about cost. They care about the FAA man coming to the field for a registration check!
As is typical you only read part of anything. My post was in resposne to a person who was insisting that the FAA was going to charge for registering and how that was such a horrible thing. Anyone who thinks the FAA would come to anyone's field to enforce rigistration has their head so far up their bum they need a glass belly button.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

That's just really sad isn't it? The hobby has survived all this time with very few issues and now it's come down to the courts. There's something wrong there.

MIke
Not nearly as sad as some of the conspiracy theories posted here.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Enforce safety rules yes. I agree with that. Inspect aircraft for registration no.
A AMA officer has no authority under the law to enforce anything other than the safety rules,
If any individual is abiding by the current safety rules why would any CD interfere?

Mike
No one said the AMA is a law enforcement agency. Lots of creative interpretation on your part, again.

Per AMA Safety Code A.2.(f):

"Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors."

As previously mentioned, I'd expect the AMA safety code to be revised to reflect the federal registration system requirement once it becomes law. Thus, CDs will have the ability to inspect aircraft for registration compliance.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:57 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
As previously mentioned, I'd expect the AMA safety code to be revised to reflect the federal registration system requirement once it becomes law. Thus, CDs will have the ability to inspect aircraft for registration compliance.
Clubs have the ability now to check aircraft for safety most don't but they could if they really wanted to. Cd's now during sanctioned events ensure that thing go safely and smoothly. They also make desions as far as event rules. Nothing more.

So in your future world each field will have a "inspector" on site 24/7 looking for violators? Really where is all this extra help coming from? It's tough enough filling officer positions.
Just how do you see this working?
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-04-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Nobody does anything voluntarily. Let me simplify this for you. Anyone who's following the rules now will never encounter a problem later. As a matter of fact I support them.
As far as the DOT who knows what they'll come up with. One things for sure they'll create a bureaucratic nightmare that will spin out of control as all government deals do. Enforcement will be a joke.

Now please feel free to be the first in line to register stuff you have owned for years.

Mike
Clubs have the ability now to check aircraft for safety most don't but they could if hey really wanted to. Cd's now during sanctioned events ensure that thing go safely and smoothly. They also make desions as far as event rules. Nothing more.

So in your future world each field will have a "inspector" on site 24/7 looking for violators? Really where is all this extra help coming from? It's tough enough filling officer positions.
Mike
First you said "Enforcement will be a joke". Now you're saying it's possible?
Old 11-04-2015, 04:30 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
First you said "Enforcement will be a joke". Now you're saying it's possible?

No it will be difficult at best to do.. Your assuming way too much as far as the AMA Safety Code and the power of club officers and CD's.
Last I heard the feds were going to look to local law enforcement for enforcement. The AMA has no such power last time I looked.

Mike
Old 11-04-2015, 04:45 PM
cj_rumley

Clubs have the ability now to check aircraft for safety most don't but they could.
So in your future world each field will have a "inspector" on site 24/7 looking for violators? Really where is all this extra help coming from?
Mike
Q1, no, but that's only for my world. MMV for others
Q2, n/a, not feasible
Q3, I think is a good one, Mike. My expectation is LEOs will deal with it (or not) by exception, as they do for the most part now.
Exception from enforcement action: (a) no law/rule or hazard created or threatened by operation of the UA, no cause to check markings. (b) unable to read reg. marking or otherwise (say from witness info) make a connection to its operator. This will probably be the case for most incidents while the craft is in flight.
Exception for enforcement action: UA was recovered on the ground after an incident and seized by the lawman. The UA is impounded and reg. marking leads to enforcement against operator. If no reg. marking it stays impounded until someone claims it and pays the piper, including a stiff fine for failure to register in addition to any other penalty that may br levied. If perp doesn't come forward he faces additional charges for evading if caught, else he may get away it, except for forfeiture of the UA.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:52 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

has a one taken action or are you all talk>> iam 83 and iam tired of all laws so ill do what i feel from now on>> so do someting or shut up
Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by [email protected]
has a one taken action or are you all talk>> iam 83 and iam tired of all laws so ill do what i feel from now on>> so do someting or shut up
I would imagine all of us (I would hope) have made our concerns known to the DOT during the public comment period which ends 11-6-15

. http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2015-4378-0022

Mike
Old 11-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

What do you think these forums are for? All talk, no action.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:24 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does no good to keep saying we should do something unless you have a suggestion as to what should be done.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:51 PM
cj_rumley

If you live in Hemet, being 83 doesn't make you stand out from the crowd.

I don't much care for laws/rules either. Every law takes away somebody's freedom to act according to his own sense of right and wrong, so they should not be enacted frivolously. Making rules/laws should always be done regretfully, as a last resort. I think DOT's pending action in this instance is a measured response, about the least they can to resolve what has developed into a bad situation. They see a need for enforcement action against irresponsible drone operators that are creating hazards in the NAS. They can't do that without being able to finger the operators controlling the wayward craft, and that is purpose of registration.

Now, would you abide by that rather than have your hobby/sport banned outright? That is the kind of 'final solution' that seems to favored at state and local levels. So, you tell others "do something or shut up." What have/would you have done?
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't care what the Traditional Radio Control Crowd thinks or wants, I just want to get MY FPV's "legitimized" and I don't care how much this costs the AMA membership as a whole...JUST GET 'ER DONE...!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:47 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I don't care what the Traditional Radio Control Crowd thinks or wants, I just want to get MY FPV's "legitimized" and I don't care how much this costs the AMA membership as a whole...JUST GET 'ER DONE...!!!
There's an app for that, at your local landfill.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:57 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

This from AVweb biz a aviation business journal:

Drone Task Force Gets To Work
By Russ Niles
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 170, align: right"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
The industry task force convened to advise the FAA on its plan to require registration of most small drones got together today in Washington to figure out which of the millions of little aircraft to keep tabs on and how to do it without driving everyone crazy. And they need to do it by Nov. 20. It's a tall order but FAA Administrator Michael Huerta urged the task force, made up of alphabet group leaders, drone manufacturers, retailers and commercial drone users (25 in all) to "think big, think outside the box." The big box thinking got under way in the afternoon after FAA staff "briefed participants on the current statutory requirements and international obligations for aircraft registration."
In his remarks to the group, Huerta essentially said their task was to advise the agency on a system that would allow the agency to come down hard on those who willfully flout the coming UAS rules, while letting the majority of responsible owners get full value from the little technological marvels. "No one wants to see this promising technology overshadowed by an incident or accident that could easily be avoided with proper training and awareness of the safety principles that are now second nature in manned aviation," Huerta said. The task force is back at work Wednesday.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see where registration will do much to stop irresponsible flyers but what might work is to require that those that fly at places other than a designated RC site to have permits especially if you want to fly close to a airport or other sensitive locations and to get the permit you would have to attend a safe flying class. If you are caught flying in a unsafe manner you loose your permit if caught again you go to jail. I think the FAA should issue a map that would clearly show all areas in the U.S. that would require a permit to operate a RC craft.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:22 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I won't be registering any of my craft, and I'll fly any of them on my property at any time that I damn well feel like. Flying field is another issue. I don't have a problem registering a plane that I will be taking to a public field and flying over/around the general public. What I do on private property is no concern of the FAA or any one else for that matter.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by ira d
I don't see where registration will do much to stop irresponsible flyers but what might work is to require that those that fly at places other than a designated RC site to have permits especially if you want to fly close to a airport or other sensitive locations and to get the permit you would have to attend a safe flying class. If you are caught flying in a unsafe manner you loose your permit if caught again you go to jail. I think the FAA should issue a map that would clearly show all areas in the U.S. that would require a permit to operate a RC craft.
Registration isn't a preventative measure. Nothing is really going to stop a person from doing what they want. See post 899 as an example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.