Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
There is nothing going on here that has anything to do with solving a problem. THis is about the confiscation of rights. Private property rights mainly. By this I am talking about airspace. Consider every square inch of air as more valuable now. I imagine vertical highways like Blade Runner or Star wars. It must be owned, to be developed. I consider this an Eminent domain action, to be perfectly honest.
I'd disagree on at least two points. People are trying to solve a problem, the effectiveness of those attempts remain to be seen. As for rights, you have few absolute rights. Certainly not property rights (familiar with eminent domain?) , and definitely not airspace rights. There are already "vertical highways" of airspace controlled and regulated by the govt. It's whats helped to keep our skies safe to a large degree. My old math professor used to say the only right we have is the right to die. Hey, he was a math teacher.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
AMA's analysis was hardly scientific. Besides, in determining risk to manned aircraft in the NAS, I'd argue that FAA/DOT get 51% of the vote.
+1, I'd go as high as 98% of the vote though...
Old 11-06-2015, 08:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Maybe I missed it but where is "drone" defined? What is written is different from what your claiming.

Mike
What you're missing is the forest through the trees. You're looking for black and white, and absolute. Think big picture.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

So let me get this right. You’re trying to say it won’t apply to fixed wing hobby sUAS based on the word choice in an online WSJ article?

Perhaps it would be wise to look a bit deeper. You’ll see that in a 16 August 2015 story, the WSJ used the term “drone” to describe the expansion in the number of military “drone” flights. Sure doesn’t look like a MR in the photo. Darned if the thing doesn’t have wings too! And they’re fixed! Or how about the 24 August 2015 WSJ article that describes the Sony Venture “drone”prototype. Lucky for us they included a photo … wait for it … of a delta wing sUAS that is surely not a MR. Or how about the 10 October 2015 WSJ article where they refer to the Orion “drone.” Oh, and darned if they didn’t include a photo of that “drone” too – sure doesn’t look like a MR to me.

So, I hardly think the use of the word “drone” by the WSJ means it won’t affect fixed wing hobby sUAS.
So let me get this right, you don't think a single WSJ article is sufficient, but two or three more that show a wait for it wait for it flying wing is more relevant? You can cherry pick an article and point to a single picture all you want, it's still disingenuous. You probably know full well that 99% of the discussions of this issue, and subsequent comments on it, refer to MR's. Although I'm willing to bet their might be a fixed wing aircraft that operates exactly like a multi rotor uav, I don't think I've seen one. That flying wing is launched by hand, and flown manually. It does not take off on it's own, and fly a predetermined flight plan, then return to base without any human intervention. These are not the style and type of aircraft that have been discussed throughout this whole process. Oddly enough it seems like since there isn't a very specific definition of drone yet, this feeds the paranoid narrative that "everything" is going to be negatively affected. Anything is possible, but so far from what I'm seeing and hearing and reading, it's not probable. We'll have to check back with future WSJ articles for validation.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:15 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

As far as the perceived low number of comments on the FAA docket . How many here had their club "leaders" rally the member base to make them aware of this issue and to comment on it ? Or how many AMA members received email notifications informing them of this issue or multiple emails indicating how many days were left to comment? I received no notification from the clubs I belong to. and from the AMA I received one email Oct 20 outlining their response to the issue but no further emails.
However I did recently receive an email from the AMA telling me to buy a UMX B-17, and I was pelted with multiple emails in September to renew my membership for two years before the deadline !

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 11-07-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:07 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW Gents and insurance agents ! i have plenty of my own land to fly my fixed wing rc aircraft off of and friends i have made over the last 40 years in this hobby have their own land too. I dont need The AMA and really never did. All you guys who love watching your due money go down the drain defending the problem of drones being tied now to us regular flyers of rc since the AMA decided it would be WISE to take them in good luck with that ! I will enjoy my last years flying rc without the AMA . joe
Old 11-07-2015, 05:15 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
So let me get this right, you don't think a single WSJ article is sufficient, but two or three more that show a wait for it wait for it flying wing is more relevant? You can cherry pick an article and point to a single picture all you want, it's still disingenuous.
Actually, your comment about not affecting fixed wing was based on a single WSJ article you quote at length, highlighting "drone" in red several times, and then using that as a basis for drawing a conclusion that it would not affect fixed wing sUAS. I merely pointed out that logic is flawed, since the WSJ used the term "drone" in at least three articles, and in each of the three cited articles they included photos of fixed wing aircraft. Use of the word "drone" by the WSJ clearly does not exclude fixed wing sUAS.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-07-2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added that all three articles contained photos of FW aircraft
Old 11-07-2015, 05:20 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
As far as the perceived low number of comments on the FAA docket . How many here had their club "leaders" rally the member base to make them aware of this issue and to comment on it ?
You know, I wondered the same. So last night I exported all the comments posted, 1212 if I remember. Now I could tell that FAA is a day or so behind in posting, so I'm sure the data set is incomplete. But I also grabbed the names of everyone listed on the AMA website, all the heads of offices/functions as well as the names of all the district vps.

After sorting by lastname and firstname and then running an excel vlookup against the names in the 1200 FAA comments. This was so important to AMA that not a single one of the AMA VPs posted a comment by name. Furthermore, just one of the AMA staff posted a comment by name. For something that they're telling us was so important, it doesn't appear that it was important enough for the HQ / top leadership to comment and put their name beside it.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:23 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you're missing is the forest through the trees. You're looking for black and white, and absolute. Think big picture.
So in reality your assuming that they meant everything but "traditional" ( for lack of a better word) models.You ( or no one else here) actually knows what the final description of what is to be registered is.

".agreed to recommend registration for recreational drones weighing more than 250 grams, or roughly nine ounces, according to two task-force members and a third person close to the group. That would include almost all consumer devices other than toys."

How you come up with your conclusion that there are exceptions eludes me and apparently others here .
Mike
Old 11-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

You know, I wondered the same. So last night I exported all the comments posted, 1212 if I remember. Now I could tell that FAA is a day or so behind in posting, so I'm sure the data set is incomplete. But I also grabbed the names of everyone listed on the AMA website, all the heads of offices/functions as well as the names of all the district vps.

After sorting by lastname and firstname and then running an excel vlookup against the names in the 1200 FAA comments. This was so important to AMA that not a single one of the AMA VPs posted a comment by name. Furthermore, just one of the AMA staff posted a comment by name. For something that they're telling us was so important, it doesn't appear that it was important enough for the HQ / top leadership to comment and put their name beside it.

There are alternate ways to comment (see below) which would certainly be more than a day or so behind. With the last minute rush before the deadline I'd bet they are several days behind.

Alternate Ways to Comment

You may submit comments by any of the following methods: Federal Rulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments. Fax: 202-493-2251. Mail: Dockets Management System; U.S. Department of Transportation, Dockets Operations, M-30, Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001. Hand Delivery: To U.S. Department of Transportation, Dockets Operations, M-30, Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. Instructions: Include the agency name and docket number FAA-2015-4378 for this document at the beginning of your comment. Note that all comments received will be posted without change to http://www.regulations.gov including any personal information provided. If sent by mail, comments must be submitted in duplicate. Persons wishing to receive confirmation of receipt of their comments must include a self-addressed stamped postcard. Privacy Act: Anyone is able to search the electronic form of any written communications and comments received into any of our dockets by the name of the individual submitting the document (or signing the document, if submitted on behalf of an association, business, labor union, etc.). You may review DOT's complete Privacy Act Statement at http://www.dot.gov/privacy. Docket: You may view the public docket through the Internet at http://www.regulations.gov or in person at the Docket Operations office at the above address (See ADDRESSES).

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 11-07-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Bullseye52
I'll be selling all my RC stuff and taking up trafficking illegal aliens across our southern borders, I can make money with that one and don't have to worry about the FAA or DOT. Let em try to register all those people, haven't had much luck with that one yet either! Have you heard about the investigation into the murder of "Juan Gonzalez"? He was killed with a "Golf Gun"! Not sure what that is but it sure made a "Hole in Juan".

Happy Flying!
Bullseye52
  1. 1.680 in
  2. Under the rules of golf, a golf ball has a mass no more than 1.620 oz (45.93 grams), has a diameter not less than 1.680 in (42.67 mm), and performs within specified velocity, distance, and symmetry limits.
    bigger than a WWII Ship Board Anti Aircraft Pom-Pom.
  3. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%22Golf+Gun%22

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-07-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:26 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by joebahl
BTW Gents and insurance agents ! i have plenty of my own land to fly my fixed wing rc aircraft off of and friends i have made over the last 40 years in this hobby have their own land too. I dont need The AMA and really never did. All you guys who love watching your due money go down the drain defending the problem of drones being tied now to us regular flyers of rc since the AMA decided it would be WISE to take them in good luck with that ! I will enjoy my last years flying rc without the AMA . joe
I'd say this to any AMA HATER not just U Joe Budy. So PLZ don't take it personally. Don't let the Reversible door hit ya in "OH Well U know where" I'm sure U won't be missed by the AMA or the guys U used to plague at the local AMA Sanctioned club. I sincerely wish ya good luck flying by your self. This hobby is as much about commerady ast it is about Flying or even Building, Which by the way is a very solitary part of the Hobby/Sport.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:55 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
There are alternate ways to comment (see below) which would certainly be more than a day or so behind. With the last minute rush before the deadline I'd bet they are several days behind.
Ok, I'll admit that there are other ways to comment. Commenting by mail is an option, but it requires transferring thoughts to paper, putting that into an envelope, addressing it, adding postage, and then walking to a mailbox. That's discretionary effort that I'd argue is beyond that required for online commenting.

However, to use that to explain the absence of electronic comments requires us to believe that on such an important topic:
(1) All but one of them waited until the last minute;
(2) All but one waited until the last day; or
(3) All but one chose the much more difficult method to comment?

On the other hand, invoking the principle of Occam's Razor - (and I paraphrase) that the simplest explanation is usually the right one:

All but one didn't comment

P.S. I'll export the data again in a couple days to gather up the last comments that came in on the 6th and post results.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Ok, I'll admit that there are other ways to comment. Commenting by mail is an option, but it requires transferring thoughts to paper, putting that into an envelope, addressing it, adding postage, and then walking to a mailbox. That's discretionary effort that I'd argue is beyond that required for online commenting.

However, to use that to explain the absence of electronic comments requires us to believe that on such an important topic:
(1) All but one of them waited until the last minute;
(2) All but one waited until the last day; or
(3) All but one chose the much more difficult method to comment?

On the other hand, invoking the principle of Occam's Razor - (and I paraphrase) that the simplest explanation is usually the right one:

All but one didn't comment

P.S. I'll export the data again in a couple days to gather up the last comments that came in on the 6th and post results.

I wasn't asking about the work effort involved in using any of the comment submission options available.

I was simply stating that if someone is going to make statements based on their analysis of the data then it would be in their best interest to fully understand the entire end-to-end data collection process.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:49 AM
cj_rumley

AMA's analysis was hardly scientific. Besides, in determining risk to manned aircraft in the NAS, I'd argue that FAA/DOT get 51% of the vote.
When my kids were small they were frightened by lightning. I told them if they see a lightning bolt, it means that it didn't strike them.
By analogy, one shouldn't worry about spotting drones from the flight deck.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:59 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd disagree on at least two points. People are trying to solve a problem, the effectiveness of those attempts remain to be seen. As for rights, you have few absolute rights. Certainly not property rights (familiar with eminent domain?) , and definitely not airspace rights. There are already "vertical highways" of airspace controlled and regulated by the govt. It's whats helped to keep our skies safe to a large degree. My old math professor used to say the only right we have is the right to die. Hey, he was a math teacher.
You do own a certain amount of a area above your private property. There was never a problem with us operating in the 400' area above the ground until now. Why? Because it is a future cash cow. This is about power and control. Not safety. The Government and media are doing a good job convincing everyone that they are here to save the day of a massive safety problem, but that is not what is going on. Power and control, and the ability to control an opportunity for money to be made. Any "problem" is being exaggerated.
How many actual collisions have occurred?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing has occurred, a man protected his private property from a drone. In a very surprising ruling (to me), the judge ruled in the shooters favor. I know those scared and ignorant of firearms probably crapped their pants over this, but light load shot shells have little energy. Good for the judge. For once they got it right.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/28/m...off-scot-free/
Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I wasn't asking about the work effort involved in using any of the comment submission options available.

I was simply stating that if someone is going to make statements based on their analysis of the data then it would be in their best interest to fully understand the entire end-to-end data collection process.

Ok, if it makes you happy, add : "Based on the available data..." in front of the comment. I still contend that I find it hard to believe that all but one of them all chose the same method to respond. But if you want to believe that and continue to shill for AMA, then that's fine by me.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 AM
[email protected]

you will be stupid if you do register them
Old 11-07-2015, 10:35 AM
F-16 viperman

Please forgive Me for being a little sarcastic and straying a little off the topic here but, is'nt it interesting that with the recent air disasters in the last couple of weeks, We have not heard of any drone sightings or any other negative rc press? Maybe registration ought not be such an urgent task?. Does'nt the world have a bigger problems that Our resourses need to solve? Re-affirms My position that most of it has been and still is BS!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
you will be stupid if you do register them
I may be a little crazy, but certainly not stupid !

Same with assault rifles here in NY state. Law requires that they now be registered. How many do you think actually registered them Even the Police Departments have stated that they just do not have the man power or time to enforce such a law.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:13 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For all you fpv flyers or drone flyer wanna bes lets meet back here in a couple years and then tell us how your flying of these crazy things is going for ya! lmao joe
Old 11-07-2015, 11:15 AM
F-16 viperman

Originally Posted by Granpooba
I may be a little crazy, but certainly not stupid !

Same with assault rifles here in NY state. Law requires that they now be registered. How many do you think actually registered them Even the Police Departments have stated that they just do not have the man power or time to enforce such a law.
What's an assault rifle? Any weapon, or a rock can be used to assault somebody. The world is full of assault weapons!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:33 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
What's an assault rifle? Any weapon, or a rock can be used to assault somebody. The world is full of assault weapons!

Yep , got a whole kitchen full of assault knives , might have to register them , too .......
Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by joebahl
For all you fpv flyers or drone flyer wanna bes lets meet back here in a couple years and then tell us how your flying of these crazy things is going for ya! lmao joe
Flying of these crazy things?? I hope you are joking. My crazy FPV plane is a foam RC glider. I had over 20 LOS flights with my FPV plane before ever even thinking about putting on goggles and actually flying FPV. I needed to make sure the plane was trimmed and balanced. I needed to get a feel for the plane as far as speed of flight, turning/climbing characteristics and when and how it stalled. Then I had to test stabilization, loiter, return to home, etc. All LOS. Not to mention all the setup and setup of safety features while plugged into the PC and also ground tested for certain features. All before ever flying it FPV.

And when we meet back here in a couple years I bet there is still not a single incident of an RC/drone/FPV aircraft damaging or downing a full scale aircraft.

Last edited by mike1974; 11-07-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.