Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:29 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Are you really this desperate to argue? Why are you the only one who seems to think you have to register your planes. Please show me where that has been mandated ( for any aircraft) and I'll gladly agree with you. That's not my opinion for gods sake....you are just completely wrong. As for Hanson, you can cling to the title all you want, unless you have his job specs and his address you're still making assumptions. You want to call him a lobbyist based in DC, have at it.

Please show me where they are excluded from registration. If you could you would it just that simple. I'm not the only one who's concerned by this. As far as Hanson I get it you love the AMA and would give them your first born. They can and will do no wrong in your eyes regardless of the repercussions.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 04:31 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not nice .... I agree , at times Crispy's recreational arguing can be , , , trying , to say the least , But calling him a retard really ain't doing your position any favors ....

I have to agree that's uncalled for.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-10-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Please show me where they are excluded from registration. If you could you would it just that simple. I'm not the only one who's concerned by this. As far as Hanson I get it you love the AMA and would give them your first born. They can and will do no wrong in your eyes regardless of the repercussions.

Mike
When you do what you did above, you really are no better than the guy calling someone an retard and and idiot. Giving my firstborn to the AMA. What a moronic comment, even in the sarcastic manner it's meant. I've said plenty of times what I think the AMA could do better. I'm sorry I won't demagogue and vilify them for everything they do, and blame them for every ill of society. I know that's the tact for the folks that can't think more than two steps down the line and see the big picture. I get that that's the popular thing to do in the AMA forums. I get that you need a boogeyman, if the AMA is the easiest target, have at it. You want to change something that can't be changed, so feel free to bark at the moon if that makes ya feel better. While you're doing that though, let me know exactly when it was that you registered your plane(s). If I'm not mistaken, nothing is required to be registered yet, and yet you announced that all of the AMA money was spent and all we got for it was a requirement to register the planes. Where is the link for us to do that? Please provide the link to validate your statement of fact.

Or was that just more fear mongering based on a rumor, a "leaked" bit of commentary you read on the internet?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:48 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by joebahl
Mike If you want to take film of grass and trees, selfies of you flying it , buy a bike and ride through 40 or so states taking all the photos and film you want to like normal people do.;lmao joe
Altitude bro, there is no altitude riding through 40 states on the road! lol.

It's about the building of the aircraft, the fun of learning the technology and being able to set it up correctly, the maiden flight and subsequent test flights, tweaking of equipment, all leading up to a "LOS" with goggles. Then from there slowly testing and expanding the range of the plane. It's about the learning of new and exciting technology and of course the flying. Would it be exciting to fly close to skyscrappers, over cities, etc,? Hell yes it would!!!!!!! That is not safe though, so through the use of my common sense (AMA is not necessary for this lol) I fly in the middle of nowhere over nothing. lol. In the end it is about flying like full scale from a point of view aspect.

I live in the country; I drive through the woods all the time. lol Selfies? lol. You won't find a single video of mine posted to any site. Not my cup of tea. My videos and pictures are for personal use.

Just my points of view.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:57 AM
rcmiket

When you do what you did above, you really are no better than the guy calling someone an retard and and idiot. Giving my firstborn to the AMA. What a moronic comment, even in the sarcastic manner it's meant. I've said plenty of times what I think the AMA could do better. I'm sorry I won't demagogue and vilify them for everything they do, and blame them for every ill of society. I know that's the tact for the folks that can't think more than two steps down the line and see the big picture. I get that that's the popular thing to do in the AMA forums. I get that you need a boogeyman, if the AMA is the easiest target, have at it. You want to change something that can't be changed, so feel free to bark at the moon if that makes ya feel better. While you're doing that though, let me know exactly when it was that you registered your plane(s). If I'm not mistaken, nothing is required to be registered yet, and yet you announced that all of the AMA money was spent and all we got for it was a requirement to register the planes. Where is the link for us to do that? Please provide the link to validate your statement of fact.

Or was that just more fear mongering based on a rumor, a "leaked" bit of commentary you read on the internet?

Thanks for the lecture but sidestepping the " . Please show me where they are excluded from registration." isn't a answer. Here's the bottom line YOU feel that registration will not include "traditional models" ( for lack of a better word). As I and many more see it we have no reason to believe ( at this point) that they will not be excluded. Rumor, Really? There are no hard facts on the table yet. The 9oz weight has been tossed around by a few articles that quoted " unnamed sources close to the committee". Why have those same "unnamed sources" not released a definition of just what is to be registered?

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 06:32 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[QUOTE=N410DC;12125058]First, the good:
  • Registration is apparently going to be pretty easy. Hopefully, the system will allow one to register multiple aircraft without having to type his/her name, address, etc. over and over again.
  • They are not asking for DOBs or SSNs. I don't want these data stored in yet another online database that can be hacked.
  • Based on this "leaked" information, we might not have to report serial numbers or other identifying data when we register our aircraft. This will solve the problem of registering aircraft that have no manufacturer-issued serial numbers. If the system simply issues a registration number for each aircraft, and does not store data about each individual aircraft, a pilot could simply re-use a given registration number for a new aircraft when the old aircraft is destroyed, sold, or retired. If the FAA simply wants "...to find the owner of a UAV should it become separated from the owner," then there is no reason for each individual registration number to be assigned to only one aircraft, until the end of time. The aircraft only needs to have a registration umber that can be used to track down the owner. If I wind up flying 100 aircraft during my modeling career, but only have 5 or fewer airworthy aircraft at any given moment, they I will only need 5 registration numbers (rather than 100), for my entire life. Even "N" numbers for full-scale aircraft can be re-assigned to other aircraft. Many pilots transfer their N number to a new aircraft whenever they buy a new one.

...and, the bad:
  • "...a registration number that is easily seen by the person operating the aircraft." Does the number have to be easily seen when the UAV is in flight?! Even the huge characters on full scale aircraft cannot be read from the ground, a second or two after takeoff. Hopefully the rule will be written in such a sway that the minimum size of registration number will be in proportion to the size of the aircraft.I believe such guidelines already exist for commercial UAVs that require an "N" number.
  • November 20th seems like a very optimistic deadline. Have they even started development on the registration website?! If they have not, there is no way we will be able to start registering our aircraft on Friday next week. If they start development on the 20th, even the best web developers and programmers would be hard-pressed to develop, test, debug, and launch a huge online database such as this before the Christmas shopping season gets into full swing.

Good and bad:
  • The 8oz (approx 227g) cutoff excludes a huge number of products, including most quds that are smaller than the 250 class. Many of the quads that are sold at "non hobby" stores will be exempt. Granted, most multirotor aircraft that are commonly seen at flying clubs will be well over the weight limit. If fixed wing aircraft are included, all but the smallest foamy aircraft will require registration. Some 3S batteries, and virtually all 4S and larger batteries weigh more that 227g, all by themselves.
  • Though I am happy that retailers will not be burdened with registering sUAV sales, this will allow the "problem pilots" that have perpetrated the recently publicized incidents to continue to fly recklessly and anonymously. No one will register their aircraft if they intend to commit a crime, and many others (including many who have posted to this thread) will simply choose not to register their aircraft. Given the low probability of prosecution, there will be little incentive for pilots to comply with the registration requirements. Lastly, many new pilots will continue to be unaware of the registration requirements, and will thus fail to register their aircraft, due to sheer ignorance. Some efforts have been made by certain retailers to educate drone customers about legal requirements, but many pilots will continue to remain ignorant nonetheless.

Though it's good to hear something from people who are apparently involved in the process, keep in mind that this "leak" is not official. The committee can change its mind before the deadline, and the DOT/FAA may or may not accept the various proposals that the committee recommends. Nothing is set in stone. If fact, I will be somewhat surprised if everything is set in stone by the end of next week.
/QUOTE]
Good post but like any Government Required thing it's BOGAS ... If done as stated here and that's if, there are so many loop holes and Lack of enforcement that it is almost useless. AMA members are already required to have our Name Adress on/in anything we fly or at least our AMA number. One thing if this comes to pass I'm sure the AMA will make it mandatory to be registered and display the Federal Registration "N" Number on your craft when flying at least at an AMA field, may be anywhere to be covered by the insurance. Who Knows.. I believe it would be easier to issue the Pilot a Registration "N" i.e. AMA Number and have it visible on all aircraft when being flown. But then again I'm not part of that committee and there will be Millions of comments/Arguments for and against, but that's human nature. Do they make sticky Note or 12 Inch House Numbers one cold use on their Pride and Joy Scale New Port 28 or their GS War Bird. I wish'em good luck on this one.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:41 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by N410DC
First, the good:
  • Registration is apparently going to be pretty easy. Hopefully, the system will allow one to register multiple aircraft without having to type his/her name, address, etc. over and over again.
  • They are not asking for DOBs or SSNs. I don't want these data stored in yet another online database that can be hacked.
  • Based on this "leaked" information, we might not have to report serial numbers or other identifying data when we register our aircraft. This will solve the problem of registering aircraft that have no manufacturer-issued serial numbers. If the system simply issues a registration number for each aircraft, and does not store data about each individual aircraft, a pilot could simply re-use a given registration number for a new aircraft when the old aircraft is destroyed, sold, or retired. If the FAA simply wants "...to find the owner of a UAV should it become separated from the owner," then there is no reason for each individual registration number to be assigned to only one aircraft, until the end of time. The aircraft only needs to have a registration umber that can be used to track down the owner. If I wind up flying 100 aircraft during my modeling career, but only have 5 or fewer airworthy aircraft at any given moment, they I will only need 5 registration numbers (rather than 100), for my entire life. Even "N" numbers for full-scale aircraft can be re-assigned to other aircraft. Many pilots transfer their N number to a new aircraft whenever they buy a new one.

...and, the bad:
  • "...a registration number that is easily seen by the person operating the aircraft." Does the number have to be easily seen when the UAV is in flight?! Even the huge characters on full scale aircraft cannot be read from the ground, a second or two after takeoff. Hopefully the rule will be written in such a sway that the minimum size of registration number will be in proportion to the size of the aircraft.I believe such guidelines already exist for commercial UAVs that require an "N" number.
  • November 20th seems like a very optimistic deadline. Have they even started development on the registration website?! If they have not, there is no way we will be able to start registering our aircraft on Friday next week. If they start development on the 20th, even the best web developers and programmers would be hard-pressed to develop, test, debug, and launch a huge online database such as this before the Christmas shopping season gets into full swing.

Good and bad:
  • The 8oz (approx 227g) cutoff excludes a huge number of products, including most quds that are smaller than the 250 class. Many of the quads that are sold at "non hobby" stores will be exempt. Granted, most multirotor aircraft that are commonly seen at flying clubs will be well over the weight limit. If fixed wing aircraft are included, all but the smallest foamy aircraft will require registration. Some 3S batteries, and virtually all 4S and larger batteries weigh more that 227g, all by themselves.
  • Though I am happy that retailers will not be burdened with registering sUAV sales, this will allow the "problem pilots" that have perpetrated the recently publicized incidents to continue to fly recklessly and anonymously. No one will register their aircraft if they intend to commit a crime, and many others (including many who have posted to this thread) will simply choose not to register their aircraft. Given the low probability of prosecution, there will be little incentive for pilots to comply with the registration requirements. Lastly, many new pilots will continue to be unaware of the registration requirements, and will thus fail to register their aircraft, due to sheer ignorance. Some efforts have been made by certain retailers to educate drone customers about legal requirements, but many pilots will continue to remain ignorant nonetheless.

Though it's good to hear something from people who are apparently involved in the process, keep in mind that this "leak" is not official. The committee can change its mind before the deadline, and the DOT/FAA may or may not accept the various proposals that the committee recommends. Nothing is set in stone. If fact, I will be somewhat surprised if everything is set in stone by the end of next week.
That's it! This is insane! And guess how many problems all of this will solve? ZERO!!! Guess how much time, energy and money is being wasted to not only solve ZERO problems, but to create new ones??? ALOT!! 1/2 lb? lmao! I have had it! I will NOT register anything I own. I don't even fly anything under 1/2 lb!! Register my 2.5 lb foam P51? Get out of here with that crap. Not a chance in hell i'm doing that!! People have lost there stinking minds!!!! The problem is stupid people doing stupid things and they simply cannot solve that problem.

End rant

Last edited by mike1974; 11-10-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

"......Yep money spent has now got us registration.......", "?

Mike
Speaking of sidestepping....

I won't ask again, because we all know the answer (there isn't a link) and it gets boring watching you try to avoid answering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tx7oe.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2129951  
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 AM
rcmiket

Speaking of sidestepping....

I won't ask again, because we all know the answer (there isn't a link) and it gets boring watching you try to avoid answering.
A simple " I really don't know but I think" would be just fine with me. I would actually respect that but I don't expect you would ever post it.
Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 AM
mike1974

Thanks for the lecture but sidestepping the " . Please show me where they are excluded from registration." isn't a answer. Here's the bottom line YOU feel that registration will not include "traditional models" ( for lack of a better word). As I and many more see it we have no reason to believe ( at this point) that they will not be excluded. Rumor, Really? There are no hard facts on the table yet. The 9oz weight has been tossed around by a few articles that quoted " unnamed sources close to the committee". Why have those same "unnamed sources" not released a definition of just what is to be registered?

Mike
I have to agree with you on this. Why would they just have quads (drones?) register? Every rc aircraft can be a drone. I think a turbine jet is far more dangerous than my 1.5 lb racing quad. If they are going to try and make you register, I don't see how it could NOT be for ALL rc aircraft over a certain weight. What does it matter if I fly a non FPV quad LOS or if i'm flying a huge 35% rc aircraft LOS? And as I keep saying, non of this will solve a single problem.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:55 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mike1974
I have to agree with you on this. Why would they just have quads (drones?) register? Every rc aircraft can be a drone. I think a turbine jet is far more dangerous than my 1.5 lb racing quad. If they are going to try and make you register, I don't see how it could NOT be for ALL rc aircraft over a certain weight. What does it matter if I fly a non FPV quad LOS or if i'm flying a huge 35% rc aircraft LOS? And as I keep saying, non of this will solve a single problem.
Guess we'll get our answer in about 10 days. Honestly I hope I am wrong on the "traditional model" registration thing but knowing how the idiots in DC are I have my doubts.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 AM
mike1974

Guess we'll get our answer in about 10 days. Honestly I hope I am wrong on the "traditional model" registration thing but knowing how the idiots in DC are I have my doubts.

Mike
I hope we are both wrong rcmiket, but how can they say with a straight face that I have to register my 1.5 lb quad, but Joe Blow does not have to register his 25 lb turbine jet and his 35% Extra? In what universe does that make any sense? What problems does registration actually solve? The stupid people doing stupid things are the actual problem and that won't change. I also don't get the singling out of multirotors. Other then not needing much help to get airborne successfully It's just another fun type of aircraft. I can fly a traditional rc plane just as dangerously as I can fly a multirotor. I can get a heck of a lot longer range on a plane also. I just don't understand the thought process anymore.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

A simple " I really don't know but I think" would be just fine with me. I would actually respect that but I don't expect you would ever post it.
Mike
Again, irony. Your response to the question all along should have been exactly that....I really don't know but I think. You don't really know yet, you're just saying it repeatedly to either convince yourself, or make another projection for something bad that will happen in the future. All based on a "leak" from someone allegedly on the inside of the discussion process. It might very well come to be, at which point I suspect you might mention you knew that would happen...or it won't, at which point I'll go fly my unregistered plane and enjoy the day.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Lamoilleriver

Drones can take-off and land just about anywhere, not as easy a task for traditional aircraft. Can't remember where I saw the list of the 25 groups gathering with the FAA to work on the drone issue, do remember that 5 of the groups represented the commercial delivery drone industry, plain to see whose bread was going to get buttered. The AMA and us hobbyists are just an annoyance to be dealt with, registration is just the first step, if you wish to believe that it will be(registration) free and easy, call me, I'm selling a statue of a lady in NY Harbor.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

What are you talking about? The drone in my avatar cannot land just about anywhere?
Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
What are you talking about? The drone in my avatar cannot land just about anywhere?
You beat me to it!!! lol.

See, even in a thread like this, no one knows what a "drone" really is.

Lamo, i'm glad you think i'm not flying a drone when i'm out flying my foam glider FPV non-los!!! I'm just picking a little; nothing rude intended.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nor was calling him an idiot. I don't get why someone disagreeing with someone else has to result in calling that person a troll, an idiot, or a retard. Sad really.
I could care less what you guys think of my position.

The bottom line is, if you are not an AMA member, then none of their policies have any bearing on you.

The inability to understand this simple fact, leads me to believe that certain individuals in the threads are of diminished capacity.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I could care less what you guys think of my position.

The bottom line is, if you are not an AMA member, then none of their policies have any bearing on you.

The inability to understand this simple fact, leads me to believe that certain individuals in the threads are of diminished capacity.
Hard to believe in this day and age some still have not heard of the FAA.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:40 AM
rcmiket

at which point I'll go fly my unregistered plane and enjoy the day.

Would that not make you part of the problem?

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 08:51 AM
mike1974

Mike
Not necessarily imo. Just as an example, if I have been flying my .40 Piper in an open field for years without any issue or disturbance, why would I suddenly become "part of the problem" because I did not go to a website and register my .40 Piper? Isn't the whole part of this registration BS about safety? Good luck FAA/DOT! News flash!! It's not going to work and it's not going to change anything.

Side question; What about people who fly on private land? Do they need to register?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Does it take extra effort to cherry pick a piece of a sentence to try to fit your narrative? Why not exhibit some integrity and quote the whole line?

With regards to the alleged requirement to register our planes, I noted:

It might very well come to be, at which point I suspect you might mention you knew that would happen...or it won't, at which point I'll go fly my unregistered plane and enjoy the day.

So disingenuous. So have you been flying at all? Did you register your planes yet? How was the process?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:05 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974
Not necessarily imo. Just as an example, if I have been flying my .40 Piper in an open field for years without any issue or disturbance, why would I suddenly become "part of the problem" because I did not go to a website and register my .40 Piper? Isn't the whole part of this registration BS about safety? Good luck FAA/DOT! News flash!! It's not going to work and it's not going to change anything.

Side question; What about people who fly on private land? Do they need to register?
Not at all actually. There is no requirement to register your planes. I've asked the other guy repeatedly to prove this, and rather than answering, he's doubling down and twisting and spinning. Some people will simply not admit when they are wrong. Did you get news that we are required to register planes?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:56 AM
mike1974

Not at all actually. There is no requirement to register your planes. I've asked the other guy repeatedly to prove this, and rather than answering, he's doubling down and twisting and spinning. Some people will simply not admit when they are wrong. Did you get news that we are required to register planes?
Hi porcia,

I understand we do not have to register now and that there is nothing in place stating that. I also understand that AMA is optional, as well as following their guidlines. The consequences of such disregard being that you won't have the AMA insurance barring an incident.

I was just curious if they had addressed registering aircraft flown on private property.

I personally have had it with rules, restrictions, guidlines, whatever. I really don't care what they decide. My aircraft are not getting registered. Period. Enough with the gov't overreach/overreacting BS.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:20 AM
[email protected]

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is taking place in Ireland. All planes over 1 kilo must be registered.

Dan

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/11/3976...be-registered/
Old 11-10-2015, 10:37 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait a minute...this might be coming back to me. Didn't you mock me somewhere for liking Vespas? Maybe you came to my defense when I said I liked them...it's all a blur. I love the older Vespa models, grew up around them and always wanted one. Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Piaggio,etc. Looked a few years ago for a late 70's early 80's model but they all seemed to be in Viet Nam. Reading up lead me to believe they looked good but had horrible reliability and hand made parts. I'm officially too old for them now, I look at them and think "those are death traps".
Nope not me myfirst bike was a Honda 750 bored to a 836 on a Amen soft tale frame with a 10 over springer . Paid 50 bucks for the 750 and the last owner seen it and offered me more than i could refuse for it. I build them and ride them all. Son has a 54 cushman we are restoring and i gave him his first Snapon tool set yesterday . lol He nows to never even think about wrenching on mine like i did my dads lawn mowers .lmao joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.