Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Someday you'll get to 19,000 and have tons of internet cred.
Yeah, someday, sweat cred.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1974
You guys see the first 4 pages of the Tower Hobbies monthly catalog? Nothing but "drones" all the way to 1500.00 with no mention of any regulations pending or otherwise. Multis and FPV are going nowhere.
Why would they mention pending legislation in a sales magazine? Also, keep in mind those are published months in advance. And if I'm not mistaken, Tower was the only retailer to send out a targeted and specific e-mail asking people to comment on the issue, directing them to the FAA website.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Yeah, someday, sweat cred.
Massive double triple cred if you scratch build too....
Old 11-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
1. Signed Y/N? Burden of proof is on AMA.
2. Failure to follow AMA? Burden of proof is on AMA.
3. Most severe action available to AMA regardless: terminate membership

4. Remedy available to terminated individual? Court action to show AMA action was arbitrary or capricious. Would only have to show a handful of youtube posts, video from meets, etc. showing any violations - if AMA did not take similar action against those individuals, creates a problem for AMA.

5. Effect on individual if they don't fly at AMA field, don't fly in AMA event? Not much.
So as an AMA member I think it's safe to assume you signed your application when you applied for membership. So does signing it make it a legally binding contract?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Why not just put this to rest right now? If you had definitive proof of just what is to be registered you'd post it so quick your head would spin just to prove me wrong. Since you don't you can't. End of story. Now in 10 days we will know won't we? I think we can agree on that.

Mike
We can agree that you have no basis in fact for stating that the AMA money was spent and all we got is this darn registration. At least for 10 days. I've asked for a wager in the past and you've passed....wanna step up on this one and put your money (or beer) where your comments are? We have to reg our planes, you get something tasty from CT...we don't...something tasty heads north east for the winter? Interweb shake?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Massive double triple cred if you scratch build too....
Lemme get out the sticks, I need that cred multiplier bad...taking a beating without the cred.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:00 PM
cj_rumley

Did you not sign your AMA membership application agreeing to follow the AMA Safety Code when you joined the AMA?
I did, and I abide by it when/where I'm within AMA's sphere of influence. I have no reason to doubt that Mike1974 does also, and so it would be rude to ask him.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Really fail to see how all this ranting and raving is accomplishing anything !
This is theater, internet chest thumping and gesticulations at it's best. Typically reserved for the Hobby King threads, Spectrum threads, and the AMA threads. Everyone gets heard, nothing gets resolved. Bonus: keeps the fingers nimble.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 PM
franklin_m

So as an AMA member I think it's safe to assume you signed your application when you applied for membership. So does signing it make it a legally binding contract?
Depends on whether it holds up in court. By the way, any confusion or errors in a contract are the responsibility of the contract writer. Benefit of doubt is given to person who did not write it.

Whether I signed it or not is immaterial. Are you saying that you have followed each and every AMA rule, literally, to the letter, each and every time you've flown since you've been a member? If you start pulling membership for one type of violation, AMA will quickly have to go down the road of pulling membership for a host of other violations.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Depends on whether it holds up in court. By the way, any confusion or errors in a contract are the responsibility of the contract writer. Benefit of doubt is given to person who did not write it.

Whether I signed it or not is immaterial. Are you saying that you have followed each and every AMA rule, literally, to the letter, each and every time you've flown since you've been a member? If you start pulling membership for one type of violation, AMA will quickly have to go down the road of pulling membership for a host of other violations.
Tell ya what, I'd love to know of those people who have been caught flying recklessly, how many were members of AMA. Wouldn't have a problem in the world yanking their membership if they did something illegal that resulted in arrest/harm/damages. Not that this would ever cause someone to think twice, but still.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 PM
franklin_m

Tell ya what, I'd love to know of those people who have been caught flying recklessly, how many were members of AMA. Wouldn't have a problem in the world yanking their membership if they did something illegal that resulted in arrest/harm/damages. Not that this would ever cause someone to think twice, but still.
One of the major reasons I don't fly at AMA clubs anymore is that despite all the posturing about the AMA code, there's precious little enforcement. Quite frankly, I've seen AMA members rocketing 30+ lb gas powered 3D machines directly at the flight line then yank into a hover. I've seen sponsored "royalty" fly Q40 racers around the and behind the flight line while others were there trying to fly. Non AMA members hardly have a lock on unsafe behavior.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I see, so it very well could be legally binding and it's fair to assume you signed it being a current AMA member. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:38 PM
franklin_m

I see, so it very well could be legally binding and it's fair to assume you signed it being a current AMA member. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Not quite sure why you have such a fetish for that particular point. Proves or disproves nothing. It would be up to AMA to enforce the terms of the contract against an offender, and then the offender could either challenge it or not. The court would be the arbitrator as to whether it's binding or not. But AMA would still have to both prove a violation, while simultaneously show that they took similar actions against all other violators.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:41 PM
franklin_m

The reality for me is that I have no issue at all with registering my sUAS whether they're fixed wing, MR, helicopters, or something else. If AMA members are as safe as they're saying they are, then they have nothing to fear from registration.

Whether or not the AMA's efforts have been effective or not remains to be seen. Whether the $1M in membership money spent on lobbying was worth it or not remains to be seen. IMO, the larger concern is what follows this if registration does not solve the problem.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:42 PM
NorfolkSouthern

One of the major reasons I don't fly at AMA clubs anymore is that despite all the posturing about the AMA code, there's precious little enforcement. Quite frankly, I've seen AMA members rocketing 30+ lb gas powered 3D machines directly at the flight line then yank into a hover. I've seen sponsored "royalty" fly Q40 racers around the and behind the flight line while others were there trying to fly. Non AMA members hardly have a lock on unsafe behavior.
And much of this is what gives me pause, when the media directs its attention specifically to the quads with cameras. I have seen my share of AMA fields, where the members are there to do nothing more than have a good time. The AMA code, needless to say, is not followed to the LETTER. Honestly, much of what gets people to the field in the first place is the fellowship and camaraderie. Yes, some go there to do nothing more than fly. But most visit the field to be with their friends. Spend enough time with friends, and there is bound to be horse play of some sorts. After all, a 25% Extra is "nothing more than a toy that can't be flown beyond sight".
Old 11-10-2015, 06:10 PM
rcmiket

Gotta be better than dealing with drone issues at the shop.....then again.....
Actually their easy to deal with when somebody spends a grand or more on any toy they tend to be responsible adults. Bottom line is we educate them the best we can and make suggestions on proper use. When they walk out the door all bets are off and 99$ we never see again in the shop or at the field...
Want a experience deal with a R/C car guy they know it all but just can't get anything to work.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It allows them to deny an insurance claim. Which is what the AMA's primary purpose is. So if you do not follow the rules, you will have your coverage denied. Has anyone ever heard of another being kicked out of the AMA?

All you have to do is use the hardware provided with most ARF models, and you are in violation of the AMA's general rules. Mainly for acceptable terminations on primary control surfaces. But that is another issue.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And no, there are no Fed, state, or local ordinances tied to the AMA safety code. It is a guideline of the AMA. So no Crisp e, you will not be thrown in jail if you do not use a Z bend on your latest and greatest ARF creation, when the elevator fails and you smash it into your buddies car. The AMA might deny your claim, but your home owners insurance has first dibs anyway, so I am sure they will cover your loss.

So now you can get some sleep at night that all of those AMA members that signed the safety code, and are not following it will not be threatened with jail time as most are not following it anyway.

So again, why do I need the AMA in the middle of a private sod farm away from the rest of civilization?

For the record, I have been an AMA member for over 30 years and a Contest Director for over 20. This stuff is not very complicated, unless you want it to be by jumping to ludicrous conclusions about what things are and are not.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:39 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
And no, there are no Fed, state, or local ordinances tied to the AMA safety code. It is a guideline of the AMA. So no Crisp e, you will not be thrown in jail if you do not use a Z bend on your latest and greatest ARF creation, when the elevator fails and you smash it into your buddies car. The AMA might deny your claim, but your home owners insurance has first dibs anyway, so I am sure they will cover your loss.

So now you can get some sleep at night that all of those AMA members that signed the safety code, and are not following it will not be threatened with jail time as most are not following it anyway.

So again, why do I need the AMA in the middle of a private sod farm away from the rest of civilization?

For the record, I have been an AMA member for over 30 years and a Contest Director for over 20. This stuff is not very complicated, unless you want it to be by jumping to ludicrous conclusions about what things are and are not.
It allows them to deny an insurance claim. Which is what the AMA's primary purpose is. So if you do not follow the rules, you will have your coverage denied. Has anyone ever heard of another being kicked out of the AMA?

All you have to do is use the hardware provided with most ARF models, and you are in violation of the AMA's general rules. Mainly for acceptable terminations on primary control surfaces. But that is another issue.
Right on target as far as the secondary insurance they offer. .

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

and no, there are no fed, state, or local ordinances tied to the ama safety code.

never said there were.

it is a guideline of the ama.

it's actually a requirement you agreed to upon becoming an ama member. It's right on the member application i've posted several times.

so no crisp e, you will not be thrown in jail if you do not use a z bend on your latest and greatest arf creation, when the elevator fails and you smash it into your buddies car.

never said you would

the ama might deny your claim, but your home owners insurance has first dibs anyway, so i am sure they will cover your loss.

inability to follow the safety code is one justification for denial.

so now you can get some sleep at night that all of those ama members that signed the safety code, and are not following it will not be threatened with jail time as most are not following it anyway.

will do.

so again, why do i need the ama in the middle of a private sod farm away from the rest of civilization?

no one said you did.

for the record, i have been an ama member for over 30 years and a contest director for over 20. This stuff is not very complicated, unless you want it to be by jumping to ludicrous conclusions about what things are and are not.

it's not,but some folks have difficultly with basic understanding.
air.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

"Drone Registration" The Realities

From RC Groups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...cg%20massNov10

Old 11-11-2015, 04:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Just wanted to clarify or confirm what you said, perhaps it was just the way it was written. Are you saying the primary role purpose of the AMA is the insurance, and that if any rule is broken your coverage will be denied? I wouldn't be surprised if someone had been kicked out but I doubt AMA would publish that info, nor would the person kicked out really talk about it.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:32 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I did, and I abide by it when/where I'm within AMA's sphere of influence. I have no reason to doubt that Mike1974 does also, and so it would be rude to ask him.
^^^^^This^^^^^^

I absolutely follow the AMA safety guidlines when applicable and I am safety conscious in general. I am always teaching my 7 year old son the correct and safe way to do things. I even get on my friend, who is somewhat new to rc, when he is doing something he shouldn't or is unsafe. To be honest, the ONLY reason I have AMA is so I can fly my club field. I guess I consider myself smart enough, and have enough common sense to operate rc safely without guidance from an external source.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:35 AM
mike1974

Why would they mention pending legislation in a sales magazine? Also, keep in mind those are published months in advance. And if I'm not mistaken, Tower was the only retailer to send out a targeted and specific e-mail asking people to comment on the issue, directing them to the FAA website.
They wouldn't and my point was that these aircraft, including FPV are going nowhere anytime soon. HUGE sellers!! Fastest growing segment of rc if I remember correctly.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:36 AM
mike1974

This is theater, internet chest thumping and gesticulations at it's best. Typically reserved for the Hobby King threads, Spectrum threads, and the AMA threads. Everyone gets heard, nothing gets resolved. Bonus: keeps the fingers nimble.
My hunting and pecking has vastly improved over the last few days!! lol!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.