Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
And much of this is what gives me pause, when the media directs its attention specifically to the quads with cameras. I have seen my share of AMA fields, where the members are there to do nothing more than have a good time. The AMA code, needless to say, is not followed to the LETTER. Honestly, much of what gets people to the field in the first place is the fellowship and camaraderie. Yes, some go there to do nothing more than fly. But most visit the field to be with their friends. Spend enough time with friends, and there is bound to be horse play of some sorts. After all, a 25% Extra is "nothing more than a toy that can't be flown beyond sight".
Why not? Let me have it for half a day and it will be able to!!! lol!!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The reality for me is that I have no issue at all with registering my sUAS whether they're fixed wing, MR, helicopters, or something else. If AMA members are as safe as they're saying they are, then they have nothing to fear from registration.

Whether or not the AMA's efforts have been effective or not remains to be seen. Whether the $1M in membership money spent on lobbying was worth it or not remains to be seen.

Haven't you stated in previous posts the $1M was a complete waste money? Now you're saying the ROI remains to be seen? Which is it?

IMO, the larger concern is what follows this if registration does not solve the problem.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
This is theater, internet chest thumping and gesticulations at it's best. Typically reserved for the Hobby King threads, Spectrum threads, and the AMA threads. Everyone gets heard, nothing gets resolved. Bonus: keeps the fingers nimble.
You forgot das sweat cred!

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 11-11-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:07 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a couple of Questions and thoughts on the registration question.
1. if the seller isn't required to make sure the sUAS is registered what guarantees the thing gets registered,? The sell makes certain there is a background and registration is completed for Gun sales.
2. Who's going to guarantee that all existing things are registered?
3. Why register every sUAS? Better to register the Pilot and require his Registration be in the craft and "N" number be displayed any time it is flown.
4. When something is FREE from the government how long will that last? Better to include the registration and cost with the price of the sUAS.
5. How does one Register a sUAS that is built from Scratch/Plans/Old parts ect.?
We haven't seen the end of this invasion of our Privileges/rights to use the NAS like anyone else.
6. Registration for flying at any Field supported by a CBO should be exempt of registration Display but still registered.
JMHO and some questions we should be asking if Registration is going to curtail any and all perceived Problems with flying sUAS's in the NAS.
If what has been rumored so far Like most government intrusions, what is proposed is usually inoperable/unworkable or useless for the intended purpose. Well just saying it won't accomplish the perceived end result..

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-11-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Lamoilleriver

When registration becomes law, you make some appropriate campaign contributions, apply and receive your exemption from registering your aircraft/drones and furgetaboutit.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:32 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
When registration becomes law, you make some appropriate campaign contributions, apply and receive your exemption from registering your aircraft/drones and furgetaboutit.
Ya Maybe that's one way but, Why wait for the Inevitable ... Get it in the original legislation ... Seems a lot easier to do it earlier than later. Just a thought.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:18 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Just wanted to clarify or confirm what you said, perhaps it was just the way it was written. Are you saying the primary role purpose of the AMA is the insurance, and that if any rule is broken your coverage will be denied? I wouldn't be surprised if someone had been kicked out but I doubt AMA would publish that info, nor would the person kicked out really talk about it.
Yes. Their stated objective is the promotion of the hobby, and now the protection (a lobby). My point was that I highly doubt anyone has ever been kicked out of the AMA for violating the safety code. It would primarily be a tool to either deny or diminish coverage.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Lamoilleriver

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Ya Maybe that's one way but, Why wait for the Inevitable ... Get it in the original legislation ... Seems a lot easier to do it earlier than later. Just a thought.
Will have to work up a cost/benefit analysis.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Yes. Their stated objective is the promotion of the hobby, and now the protection (a lobby). My point was that I highly doubt anyone has ever been kicked out of the AMA for violating the safety code. It would primarily be a tool to either deny or diminish coverage.
For all practical purposes that is correct. 'Anyone' allows for a single exception to void an absolute truth, though. Decades ago some moron flew his model airplane into the Goodyear blimp, I believe it was in Carson, CA. He committed a felony in doing so, and that is apparently the threshold for getting kicked out of AMA.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
So as an AMA member
So does signing it make it a legally binding contract?
Never assume anything. A large number of people apply by AMA web site. There is no signing of anything.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by warningshot
Never assume anything. A large number of people apply by AMA web site. There is no signing of anything.
There is a terms and conditions checkbox you agree to. No different than providing your signature.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:09 AM
mike1974

There is a terms and conditions checkbox you agree to. No different than providing your signature.
It really does not matter to me if I have agreed or not in this instance. The FACT is that I follow the AMA guidlines except when flying non los fpv NOT at an AMA field and on PRIVATE land. It is that simple. I don't care if I "signed" the AMA "contract".

Hell man, you can have the win!! I "signed" the AMA "contract" and don't 100% adhere to the AMA safety code. There you have it. You win. I'm a bad boy!! Rogue FPV rebellion!! Master of FPV disaster! Accident waiting to happen!! Catastrophe an inch away every time I take to the FPV sky!! I spread fear and panic through the community with my foam FPV plane!! lmao!!! Happy now??? Can we please stop arguing this point??? You win!! You win!!! you win!!! Yay you!!! Give yourself a high five!! Pat yourself on the back oh perfect AMA safety code follower you!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974
It really does not matter to me if I have agreed or not in this instance. The FACT is that I follow the AMA guidlines except when flying non los fpv NOT at an AMA field and on PRIVATE land. It is that simple. I don't care if I "signed" the AMA "contract".

Hell man, you can have the win!! I "signed" the AMA "contract" and don't 100% adhere to the AMA safety code. There you have it. You win. I'm a bad boy!! Rogue FPV rebellion!! Master of FPV disaster! Accident waiting to happen!! Catastrophe an inch away every time I take to the FPV sky!! I spread fear and panic through the community with my foam FPV plane!! lmao!!! Happy now??? Can we please stop arguing this point??? You win!! You win!!! you win!!! Yay you!!! Give yourself a high five!! Pat yourself on the back oh perfect AMA safety code follower you!!!
Folks like yourself are the reason I sometimes wish they would just ban FPV entirely.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:32 AM
vertical grimmace

So if you do not follow the safety code, after signing this AMA contract, what happens?

This talk of following the AMA safety code is almost completely irrelevant, as the FPV crowd that is making the news, obviously are not. Not that it matters to them, as I am sure they are not members of the AMA.

It would be interesting to know how many AMA members are FPV/Quad only fliers. I am going to guess very few. Mainly because you do not need a flying field, and there are no competitions/events requiring AMA membership. At least as far as I know.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So if you do not follow the safety code, after signing this AMA contract, what happens?

I'd venture a guess if you have an accident while not following the safety code and file a claim your claim would be denied. Of course, that's just a guess. Insurance companies are made up of wonderful people and they love to pay claims above and beyond the amounts field even when they don't have to. They always overlook careless mistakes people make when they've agreed to do things that they don't do. Lastly, insurance companies aren't in it for they money so they just pay anything that walks in the door with question. Yeah, that's it.

This talk of following the AMA safety code is almost completely irrelevant, as the FPV crowd that is making the news, obviously are not.

Not that it matters to them, as I am sure they are not members of the AMA.

Nice to see you were able to address your own statement.

It would be interesting to know how many AMA members are FPV/Quad only fliers. I am going to guess very few. Mainly because you do not need a flying field, and there are no competitions/events requiring AMA membership. At least as far as I know.

They're better organized than you could possibly imagine.

http://www.multigp.com/

Old 11-11-2015, 11:50 AM
mike1974

Folks like yourself are the reason I sometimes wish they would just ban FPV entirely.
You have got to be kidding me.

Well I've flown traditional models for 27 years. Even if they ban FPV I have all my other los planes, multis, and helis. Not sure how banning FPV gets rid of "folks like me"? I didn't even want to argue but you keep going back to this AMA thing like it's law or something. You basically say if you are not the perfect AMA safety code follower you should be tarred and feathered because you are "ruining it for everybody".

Believe it or not i'm actually a very friendly, fun, happy guy.

Last edited by mike1974; 11-11-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 AM
cj_rumley

Well Mike1974, now you know what you have been responding to. Might better try having an intelligent conversation with Siri or Cortana.......at least it will be more civil.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:59 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Well Mike1974, now you know what you have been responding to. Might better try having an intelligent conversation with Siri or Cortana.......at least it will be more civil.
lol! Don't forget about Alexa!!!! (Amazon Echo)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM
vertical grimmace

You have got to be kidding me.

Well I've flown traditional models for 27 years. Even if they ban FPV I have all my other los planes, multis, and helis. Not sure how banning FPV gets rid of "folks like me"? I didn't even want to argue but you keep going back to this AMA thing like it's law or something. You basically say if you are not the perfect AMA safety code follower you should be tarred and feathered because you are "ruining it for everybody".

Believe it or not i'm actually a very friendly, fun, happy guy.
Yeah, Chris P brings out the best in us! lol
Old 11-11-2015, 01:46 PM
HoundDog

This talk of following the AMA safety code is almost completely irrelevant, as the FPV crowd that is making the news, obviously are not. Not that it matters to them, as I am sure they are not members of the AMA.

Quad only very few but growing. While many Traditional flyers, AMA members, are buying and flying Quads with FPV. It's also my Understanding (From some Post here some place that eludes me know that) More and More people are joining the AMA so as to have a place to race Quads on an obstacle course using FPV.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-11-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:01 PM
GravyRobber

This thread is hilarious. Thanks for all the entertainment. Makes me question joining this forum if this thread is representative of this community as a whole.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just checking in to see what the AMA Apologentsia contributed to the Drone Movement today..!.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

They wouldn't and my point was that these aircraft, including FPV are going nowhere anytime soon. HUGE sellers!! Fastest growing segment of rc if I remember correctly.
I think they are indeed, certainly the smaller and not too expensive model. Rcmiket can probably validate that as he works in a hobby shop, I just hang around them and spend the money. I was impressed with Tower's E-mail though!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

You forgot das sweat cred!
I beg forgiveness.....sweat street screed cred...numbers count, scratch building counts for double. It is what it is.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Actually their easy to deal with when somebody spends a grand or more on any toy they tend to be responsible adults. Bottom line is we educate them the best we can and make suggestions on proper use. When they walk out the door all bets are off and 99$ we never see again in the shop or at the field...
Want a experience deal with a R/C car guy they know it all but just can't get anything to work.

Mike
What do you mean this can't run through mud and water? Wait...you charge money for repairs? I've heard some good ones, I bet you hear it all. The heli dudes too. Between helis and cars/trucks, I think they keep the LHS in business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.