Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After all that money the AMA spent, you would think at least UFO's could be excused from registering. THANKS AMA !

Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Those guys aren't your customer anyway. Spending more time with your actual customers is time better spent. They will never buy from you.
True but on the flip side there are times that spending a few minutes working with a uneducated buyer (newbie) makes them a customer. As long as time permits. I try and be fair when I can and have won over a few of those guys but not the majority.

Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 07:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

I used that example since I was the one doing that...and the shop that helped me gained me as a customer for the past 7 years. A little effort certainly can pay off.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by mike1974
Ya, I remember that whole laser thing!! They were going to be banned. They thought people would take down a plane, trick people or LEOS's into thinking someone had a sight on them, etc. Then the whole issue just disappeared. It was weird.

If you are talking about me flying my quad like that LOS I cant do that. lol. I can rip it around if I have goggles on though!!
Three lazer strikes reported over Dallas this week, so the issue has not disappeared or dead.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Some ones gota the LHS in business ... Heaven knows the El Cheepo R/C Flyers all braf how they got something for a Nickle cheaper than the LHS sells it for. OH and free shipping too and no tax.

I always ask the LHS what they can get something for ... Sometimes it's even less. Ujust will never know till U ask.
Seems like there's a few of those in every club. Ironically, the ones who complain the most about every nickle also have the most nickles.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by warningshot
Three lazer strikes reported over Dallas this week, so the issue has not disappeared or dead.
Several reports on the national news this morning about this. Charges filed in one case for a laser strike against a news chopper. Pilot led the police to the offenders.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Will UFO's need to register? Ask the astronauts on the space station to take care of it? Just want to make sure we cover all the bases.
Don't many people say they have been registered for years? Just not for the public to know?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by rcmiket
True but on the flip side there are times that spending a few minutes working with a uneducated buyer (newbie) makes them a customer. As long as time permits. I try and be fair when I can and have won over a few of those guys but not the majority.

Mike
That's were the judgment call comes in. The guy that has several airplanes is a lost cause in most cases. The case of a fresh pilot, you would be doing the right thing just for the hobby itself.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Wow! My bad. I was remembering a few years ago when there was alot of talk about it. I didn't realize it was still a problem. I just saw the news with the most recent incident.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

Right you are....20 reported last night along, but not "related". Over 5,300 reports of this as of Oct. Where is the outrage...the senate hearings, the talk of banning or registering laser pointers.

http://news.yahoo.com/lasers-hit-air...--finance.html
Old 11-12-2015, 01:03 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
I used that example since I was the one doing that...and the shop that helped me gained me as a customer for the past 7 years. A little effort certainly can pay off.
I actually am going to agree with you once! I've seen both ends of the LHS spectrum. A guy (in another state) that welcomed questions, cut the best deal he could - often times saying "I can't meet that price, but here's what I can do." By contrast, I went in to my LHS, ready to spend $600 with him if he could match an online price from a major online retailer. Gave me a price that was higher and still would have cost me tax. After I had driven 20 miles round trip (20 miles at 12mpg at $4.50 gas), he called me to come down a bit more, but still above plus it would have been a third trip.

I went with the online retailer, in fact spending almost $700 with accessories, and haven't set foot in the LHS since - in fact go out of my way to buy elsewhere. That first shop where they really took an interest? Everytime I visit I make it a point to stop by - and in fact have them ship.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Lamoilleriver

Many years ago I stopped at a new LHS, while there I noticed the price on a 100pkg. of #11 knife blades was $2.10(probably should have been $21.00), informed the LHS owner of the error and than listened to his tirade of how he was sick and tired of folks coming in complaining about his prices. I paid the $2.10 for the blades and never been back.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:01 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

A little off track, but following the LHS part. I used to travel to the East Coast 15 years ago for work. MA, CT, VT, NH, ME NYC. I always looked for hobby shops after I got settled in my hotel room. I was in Lee MA and found Barn Speed Hobbies. They were going to close soon and the owner (I Believe) invited me up to their field as it was summer and he and some other guys where going to do some flying. Some of the nicest, helpful and friendly rc guys I have ever met! My wife is from CT and every time we drive back there and pass the exit for Lee MA I always think about those guys.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s been a few years now but Graves Hobbies in Florida had a pretty good system. They had Tower Catalogues all over the store and lots of stuff was not priced. How much is the doggy in the window? Look it up in the Tower Catalogue instant price match. Want to dicker go to the front of the store to discuss it with the owner. The office was on the outside of the cash registers if I remember right. Don’t like the price match in the catalogue well your only a step or two from the exit don’t let the doors hit ya on the way out. In fact if memory serves me right you couldn’t just go back the way you came you had to exit the store and re-enter.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 11-12-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:54 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I actually am going to agree with you once! I've seen both ends of the LHS spectrum. A guy (in another state) that welcomed questions, cut the best deal he could - often times saying "I can't meet that price, but here's what I can do." By contrast, I went in to my LHS, ready to spend $600 with him if he could match an online price from a major online retailer. Gave me a price that was higher and still would have cost me tax. After I had driven 20 miles round trip (20 miles at 12mpg at $4.50 gas), he called me to come down a bit more, but still above plus it would have been a third trip.

I went with the online retailer, in fact spending almost $700 with accessories, and haven't set foot in the LHS since - in fact go out of my way to buy elsewhere. That first shop where they really took an interest? Everytime I visit I make it a point to stop by - and in fact have them ship.
First RCMike...and now you. What's in the water? I know we agree on a lot more than one or two things.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:15 PM
rcmiket

First RCMike...and now you. What's in the water?
Water is made up of hydrogen ions (H[SUP]+[/SUP]) linked to hydroxyl ions (OH[SUP]-[/SUP]) to form H[SUB]2[/SUB]O. The molecular formula for water is H[SUB]2[/SUB]O.

Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Right you are....20 reported last night along, but not "related". Over 5,300 reports of this as of Oct. Where is the outrage...the senate hearings, the talk of banning or registering laser pointers.

I was going to bring up this subject, but then read your posting and have to agree with you 100%.
When is the DOT / FAA going to bring up " Laser Registration "

Last edited by Granpooba; 11-12-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
A little off track, but following the LHS part. I used to travel to the East Coast 15 years ago for work. MA, CT, VT, NH, ME NYC. I always looked for hobby shops after I got settled in my hotel room. I was in Lee MA and found Barn Speed Hobbies. They were going to close soon and the owner (I Believe) invited me up to their field as it was summer and he and some other guys where going to do some flying. Some of the nicest, helpful and friendly rc guys I have ever met! My wife is from CT and every time we drive back there and pass the exit for Lee MA I always think about those guys.
Have been happily dealing with Joe at Barn Speed Hobbies for many, many years.
Always has been a great help and if you can not find it, just ask as he will have what you want and need along with discount prices.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
I was going to bring up this subject, but then read your posting and have to agree with you 100%.
When is the DOT / FAA going to bring up " Laser Registration "
Like that's not a possibility..... But really, where is the outrage from the air traffic controllers, the pilots association etc etc. Doesn't this rank right up there with aviation safety? The numbers of incidents are far higher than alleged "drone" sightings, and far more able to be qualified. Guess it doesn't sizzle like the drone issue though.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Water is made up of hydrogen ions (H[SUP]+[/SUP]) linked to hydroxyl ions (OH[SUP]-[/SUP]) to form H[SUB]2[/SUB]O. The molecular formula for water is H[SUB]2[/SUB]O.

Mike

Ya...but what else? Sumpin's doin.....
Old 11-12-2015, 04:24 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Just a couple of Questions and thoughts on the registration question.
1. if the seller isn't required to make sure the sUAS is registered what guarantees the thing gets registered,? The sell makes certain there is a background and registration is completed for Gun sales.
2. Who's going to guarantee that all existing things are registered?
3. Why register every sUAS? Better to register the Pilot and require his Registration be in the craft and "N" number be displayed any time it is flown.
4. When something is FREE from the government how long will that last? Better to include the registration and cost with the price of the sUAS.
5. How does one Register a sUAS that is built from Scratch/Plans/Old parts ect.?
We haven't seen the end of this invasion of our Privileges/rights to use the NAS like anyone else.
6. Registration for flying at any Field supported by a CBO should be exempt of registration Display but still registered.
JMHO and some questions we should be asking if Registration is going to curtail any and all perceived Problems with flying sUAS's in the NAS.
If what has been rumored so far Like most government intrusions, what is proposed is usually inoperable/unworkable or useless for the intended purpose. Well just saying it won't accomplish the perceived end result..
I've seen that snide comment here several times. So here's an answer for ya in the form of a question - How long as GPS been free? That has an entire AFB in Colorado Springs devoted to it. Maybe if the gov charged for it we wouldn't have this drone problem.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:01 PM
flyinwalenda

Quad hits Ferris wheel.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dro...d=ansmsnnews11
With all of this looming ,more stupidity from credit-card flyers. At least in the previous incident where the lady was hit in the head the operator was charged with reckless endangerment........as it should be...with a hefty fine.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12126003

Hopefully they find him..or better yet ID him from the usual selfie these guys sometimes take before launching.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:21 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

the nearly 5,400 laser hits in the nation so far this year, the Federal Aviation Administration said on Thursday.

No injuries were reported in the incidents, which took place from New York City to Sacramento, and resulted in at least one arrest. Authorities said the incidents did not appear to be linked to each other.

Pretty good odds for the culprits. Wait till some BOZO combined a GREEN LASER with a DRONE.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I've seen that snide comment here several times. So here's an answer for ya in the form of a question - How long as GPS been free? That has an entire AFB in Colorado Springs devoted to it. Maybe if the gov charged for it we wouldn't have this drone problem.
If GPS was charged for Garmin Magellan and the rest of the industry would collapse in a month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.