Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I've seen that snide comment here several times. So here's an answer for ya in the form of a question - How long as GPS been free? That has an entire AFB in Colorado Springs devoted to it. Maybe if the gov charged for it we wouldn't have this drone problem.
It's too bad RCU doesn't charge by the hour either. I sure miss the good ol' CompuServe days. So much less BS when it it was ~$23/hr to use the service.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
the nearly 5,400 laser hits in the nation so far this year, the Federal Aviation Administration said on Thursday.

No injuries were reported in the incidents, which took place from New York City to Sacramento, and resulted in at least one arrest. Authorities said the incidents did not appear to be linked to each other.

Pretty good odds for the culprits. Wait till some BOZO combined a
GREEN LASER with a DRONE.
Now don't you go all doom and gloom on me.....I fixed the GREEN LASER thang for ya...woulda thought you woulda done that the first time given your colorific propensities.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Like that's not a possibility..... But really, where is the outrage from the air traffic controllers, the pilots association etc etc. Doesn't this rank right up there with aviation safety? The numbers of incidents are far higher than alleged "drone" sightings, and far more able to be qualified. Guess it doesn't sizzle like the drone issue though.
The drone issue sizzle's because large retail is lobbying to get rid of small drones in the airspace where their delivery drones will operate.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:18 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN!!! STOP WATCHING THE NEWS, THEY KNOW LESS THAN THE PEOPLE PAYING ATTENTION TO THE NONSENSE!! At our recent club meeting our president told us that anything over NINE OUNCES would have to be registered, that he got that from the faa. BS!!! Go to the faa site and look it up. Look at the proposal and the current rules. The DRONES will depend on weight and whether it will be used for personal or commercial activities. Planes are the same thing except that they will have to be registered with some governing agency if over 55 pounds. WE ALREADY DO THAT WITH THE AMA!! So remember, weight and money. Don't get your panties in a twist about all this stuff. AMA rules apply.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:45 AM
rcmiket

Let me get this straight we believe the numbers from the FAA and the media on lasers but not on drone sightings......................................... ................

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-13-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:30 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Have been happily dealing with Joe at Barn Speed Hobbies for many, many years.
Always has been a great help and if you can not find it, just ask as he will have what you want and need along with discount prices.
That's right! Joe was his name. Nice guy!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Let me get this straight we believe the numbers from the FAA and the media on lasers but not on drone sightings......................................... ................

Mike
To my knowledge there is no laser or antilazer lobby trying to pump up the numbers.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by teebox11
GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN!!! STOP WATCHING THE NEWS, THEY KNOW LESS THAN THE PEOPLE PAYING ATTENTION TO THE NONSENSE!! At our recent club meeting our president told us that anything over NINE OUNCES would have to be registered, that he got that from the faa. BS!!! Go to the faa site and look it up. Look at the proposal and the current rules. The DRONES will depend on weight and whether it will be used for personal or commercial activities. Planes are the same thing except that they will have to be registered with some governing agency if over 55 pounds. WE ALREADY DO THAT WITH THE AMA!! So remember, weight and money. Don't get your panties in a twist about all this stuff. AMA rules apply.
We are not listing to the news but reports from the committee. We are not just making up wild assertions as you apparently are!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:17 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
To my knowledge there is no laser or antilazer lobby trying to pump up the numbers.
I just thought it was rather funny. Maybe they are pumping the numbers to get in on the Holiday Sales.
Mike
Old 11-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone noticed the number of news reports lately about laser strikes on aircraft and thought, "oh good, something to take the FAA's interest away from drones"?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...ight/75649430/

I'm sure a part of the flying public will be a bit nervous if they need to make a night landing, more-so than the worry of hitting a drone.
I can envision an episode of Chicago Fire having to deal with a plane or copter downed by a laser, if they haven't already.

Last edited by Flight Risk; 11-13-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Lamoilleriver

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Has anyone noticed the number of news reports lately about laser strikes on aircraft and thought, "oh good, something to take the FAA's interest away from drones"?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...ight/75649430/

I'm sure a part of the flying public will be a bit nervous if they need to make a night landing, more-so than the worry of hitting a drone.
I can envision an episode of Chicago Fire or Chicago PD having to deal with a plane or copter downed by a laser.
In our world full of IDIOTS, an episode like this will only inspire more IDIOTS to try it. The news should carry stories of the actual sentencing of the IDIOTS doing these crimes, hopefully more than just a wrist slap. There must be something wrong with me, try as I might I just can't see why someone would think doing this crap is a good idea.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:43 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
In our world full of IDIOTS, an episode like this will only inspire more IDIOTS to try it. The news should carry stories of the actual sentencing of the IDIOTS doing these crimes, hopefully more than just a wrist slap. There must be something wrong with me, try as I might I just can't see why someone would think doing this crap is a good idea.

People are idiots and doing really stupid stuff that may have serious consequences is "cool" as they see it. So what if someone gets killed as long as it ain't them (although Darwin gets a few every now and then). Were doomed as a civilization.
They are letting convicted felon's out of prison because were to tough on "petty criminals" you really think they will be tough on these guys?

Mike
Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
It's too bad RCU doesn't charge by the hour either. I sure miss the good ol' CompuServe days. So much less BS when it it was ~$23/hr to use the service.
Remember before the Internet was easy to use. There were bulletin boards. I subscribed to a service "I forget the name but it was $30/Month if U used it between 7 pm & 7am. and ungodly price other times. That was with a TRS-80 with a 300 baud modem then I went to 1200 baud it was like speedy gonzales then to 2400 baud Heaven. Anyone remember that service that let U call a number in 40 different cities and connect with any BB's in that city? Now this is in the early 80's.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:49 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
ROFLMAO!!!!!!! It love this!

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Remember before the Internet was easy to use. There were bulletin boards. I subscribed to a service "I forget the name but it was $30/Month if U used it between 7 pm & 7am. and ungodly price other times. That was with a TRS-80 with a 300 baud modem then I went to 1200 baud it was like speedy gonzales then to 2400 baud Heaven. Anyone remember that service that let U call a number in 40 different cities and connect with any BB's in that city? Now this is in the early 80's.
I do!!!! It was called Prodigy. There were several services out there.

Last edited by TimJ; 11-13-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:34 PM
rcmiket

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]I just received this and am sure you all will also (unless your not a current member). Guess we'll all have the answers next Friday. We already knew that though.

Dear members,

I'm writing to provide you with an update on the U.S. Department of Transportation's UAS registration task force. As you may be aware, the task force met for several days last week and AMA's Rich Hanson represented our members' interests in all of the discussions.
We're limited in how much we can divulge about these meetings because all task force members agreed to a set of ground rules. These rules prohibit us from publicly discussing any details of the task force's internal deliberations. With that said, there has been some misinformation, as well as some inaccuracies surrounding this issue, so we want to provide you, our members, with as much information as we can while still respecting the integrity of the process.
During the task force meetings, AMA strongly argued for our members to be exempt from federal registration, as Congress intended with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. This special rule states that the FAA does not have the authority to promulgate any new rules on recreational users operating under the safety guidelines of a community-based organization such as AMA.
AMA members have been flying safely for decades, and we made it clear that our members are not the problem. With our stellar safety record, AMA can be part of the solution, but our members shouldn't have to bear the burden of new regulations. Meanwhile, as our members know, AMA already has in place its own voluntary registration system.
For the new legions of consumer drone users who are not AMA members, we do think that registration makes sense at some level when UAS technology meets an appropriate threshold of weight, capability and other safety-related characteristics.
The task force's detailed recommendations to the FAA are scheduled to become public on Friday, November 20. AMA intends to make our views explicitly clear in these final recommendations and we will continue to advocate for our members to be exempt from registration if the final recommendations state otherwise. And once this information is made public, we will also be able to more openly and publicly address the registration proposal.
In the meantime, we encourage our members to submit comments on the FAA's registration proposal through the regulations.gov portal. Although comments were due by November 6, the docket remains open and the U.S. Department of Transportation has indicated that it will consider all comments received. To submit a comment, click here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0022.
We thank you for your continued support of AMA and look forward to working alongside you on these important issues.
Kind regards,
Dave Mathewson
Executive Director
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Mike
Old 11-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see the signs at the protests now ..............................

RC Model Airplanes Matter !
Old 11-13-2015, 02:27 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Granpooba
I can see the signs at the protests now ..............................

RC Model Airplanes Matter !

Now that's funny.

Mike
Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Lamoilleriver

No mention of drones, you all must be anti-drone-ites.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:05 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Looks like the AMA is being let off the hook. So that 50% Extra with the 250cc multi-cylinder is safe!
Old 11-13-2015, 03:06 PM
cj_rumley

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]I just received this and am sure you all will also (unless your not a current member). Guess we'll all have the answers next Friday. We already knew that though.

Dear members,

I'm writing to provide you with an update on the U.S. Department of Transportation's UAS registration task force. As you may be aware, the task force met for several days last week and AMA's Rich Hanson represented our members' interests in all of the discussions.
We're limited in how much we can divulge about these meetings because all task force members agreed to a set of ground rules. These rules prohibit us from publicly discussing any details of the task force's internal deliberations. With that said, there has been some misinformation, as well as some inaccuracies surrounding this issue, so we want to provide you, our members, with as much information as we can while still respecting the integrity of the process.
During the task force meetings, AMA strongly argued for our members to be exempt from federal registration, as Congress intended with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. This special rule states that the FAA does not have the authority to promulgate any new rules on recreational users operating under the safety guidelines of a community-based organization such as AMA.
AMA members have been flying safely for decades, and we made it clear that our members are not the problem. With our stellar safety record, AMA can be part of the solution, but our members shouldn't have to bear the burden of new regulations. Meanwhile, as our members know, AMA already has in place its own voluntary registration system.
For the new legions of consumer drone users who are not AMA members, we do think that registration makes sense at some level when UAS technology meets an appropriate threshold of weight, capability and other safety-related characteristics.
The task force's detailed recommendations to the FAA are scheduled to become public on Friday, November 20. AMA intends to make our views explicitly clear in these final recommendations and we will continue to advocate for our members to be exempt from registration if the final recommendations state otherwise. And once this information is made public, we will also be able to more openly and publicly address the registration proposal.
In the meantime, we encourage our members to submit comments on the FAA's registration proposal through the regulations.gov portal. Although comments were due by November 6, the docket remains open and the U.S. Department of Transportation has indicated that it will consider all comments received. To submit a comment, click here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0022.
We thank you for your continued support of AMA and look forward to working alongside you on these important issues.
Kind regards,
Dave Mathewson
Executive Director
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Mike
The hoi polloi legions can go suck eggs, OR, if AMA wins this fight they can have a choice,
register with FAA for $0.00 or,
register with Dronz R US for $75/yr and abide by rules of a CBO (which is not recognized)

This looming battle in the courts should be worth at least a couple of $$million.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:10 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Looks like the AMA is being let off the hook. So that 50% Extra with the 250cc multi-cylinder is safe!
How do you figure? I don't see anything in that email saying anything like that.

"AMA intends to make our views explicitly clear in these final recommendations and we will continue to advocate for our members to be exempt from registration if the final recommendations state otherwise. And once this information is made public, we will also be able to more openly and publicly address the registration proposal."

Mike
Old 11-13-2015, 03:24 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same old message from AMA... "we are perfect and don't need to change anything, anytime, anywhere"
Old 11-13-2015, 03:36 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by on_your_six
Same old message from AMA... "we are perfect and don't need to change anything, anytime, anywhere"

Well , let's hear it , , , Since you state the AMA is flawed , and will never change , how bout you tell everyone here what you would do different or better than what's being done now ? Someone who can see such imperfection SURELY has the answers to fix everything "wrong" with the AMA , yes ? Or was your post just another cheap shot with no redeeming value whatsoever ?
Old 11-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Silent-AV8R

How do you figure? I don't see anything in that email saying anything like that.

"AMA intends to make our views explicitly clear in these final recommendations and we will continue to advocate for our members to be exempt from registration if the final recommendations state otherwise. And once this information is made public, we will also be able to more openly and publicly address the registration proposal."

Mike
Yep, I read that as Dave warming us up for disappointment. AMA certainly knows which way this is going to go, it's not like the task force is going to make a huge course change next week. So I think we are being lumped in with every other sUAS and will have to go through the FAA process. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:30 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Yep, I read that as Dave warming us up for disappointment. AMA certainly knows which way this is going to go, it's not like the task force is going to make a huge course change next week. So I think we are being lumped in with every other sUAS and will have to go through the FAA process. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Guess we'll see next week but I'm with you on this. I sensed it all along though. I hope I'm wrong.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.