Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Show them the door for what reason If they have paid your club dues and are members of the AMA, what have they violated ?

Perhaps you should use the door !

I see by your location that you are " Somewhere ", perhaps in LaLa Land !
Please try reading the entire quote and response. Justification would be inability to comply with federal regulations.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Please try reading the entire quote and response. Justification would be inability to comply with federal regulations.
You going to let he Feds govern your club and hobby ?

I would not want anything to do with a club that did and I would find another hobby !
Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'll be "drone" for Christmas. If only on my dreams.

Mike
Good one .............. LOL ...........
Old 11-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

You going to let he Feds govern your club and hobby ?

They already do. Are you above the law? Entitlement?

I would not want anything to do with a club that did and I would find another hobby !

Exactly the action I was looking for.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:50 PM
TexasFlyBoy
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
Here's a memory test for all. What famous person said "When times get tough, The ignorant turn to Their guns and religion".?
That would be our current Fund-Raiser-In-Chief.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:58 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I hope AMA rules/registration numbers don't change, init4fun. It would allow for gathering data distinguishing AMA members from the riffraff involved in actionable incidents, and so provide actual stats to displace the hyperbole that credits only members under AMA leadership as responsible for the good safety record of model flying over many decades.
For sure my Friend . I've been AMA 80274 since the late 1960s/early 1970s and the AMA's insurance hasn't paid out one penny for my flying . (course , if the ground COULD sue , we'd ALL be SCREWED )
Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Their is " ONE " like you in every club !
Old 11-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Their is " ONE " like you in every club !
One is all you need!
Old 11-15-2015, 04:09 PM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
Stopped by Sams Club this morning to pick a few things up..they were setting up a huge end-cap display for the DJI Phantom "Classic". Perfect timing!
Right there is the big reason we are in this predicament......DJI. They will sell their stuff through any outlet regardless if said outlet has any experience with radio controlled craft or knowledge of how they should be flown ....safely. Someone buys it with little to no training before they leave.
At least in most hobby shops the customer will (should) receive a very good overview and hopefully, at least ,take it outside for a flight by the shop before they leave along with a parting comment of "don't do anything stupid ,we don't want to read about YOU in the news" .
Old 11-15-2015, 04:26 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Right there is the big reason we are in this predicament......DJI. They will sell their stuff through any outlet regardless if said outlet has any experience with radio controlled craft or knowledge of how they should be flown ....safely. Someone buys it with little to no training before they leave.
At least in most hobby shops the customer will (should) receive a very good overview and hopefully, at least ,take it outside for a flight by the shop before they leave along with a parting comment of "don't do anything stupid ,we don't want to read about YOU in the news" .
Being one of those LHS guys I can assure that we do everything possible to get someone started on the right foot with every sale. Here's the reality 99% don't give a crap. That's they way it is now. There's no desire to learn about the hobby ,clubs or the AMA. The big box stores are just doing what they do sell product and there's no stopping it.
Mike.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Being one of those LHS guys I can assure that we do everything possible to get someone started on the right foot with every sale. Here's the reality 99% don't give a crap. That's they way it is now. There's no desire to learn about the hobby ,clubs or the AMA. The big box stores are just doing what they do sell product and there's no stopping it.
Mike.
The AMA, or a local club field, with experienced instructors, are not needed anymore. Now a days, the stuff is plug and play, and ready to go. No engine experience, no runway etc. Unfortunately, the LHS is not required either. The whole sense of camaraderie tends to be missing. In my club, of around 110 members, I do not feel I have anything in common with most of the members. I like to design, build, compete, travel to events, etc. Not them. Just pull the toy out of the box and fly it. Break it, buy another one. It is a soul less endeavour in my mind, compared to what the hobby was.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:57 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by init4fun
For sure my Friend . I've been AMA 80274 since the late 1960s/early 1970s and the AMA's insurance hasn't paid out one penny for my flying . (course , if the ground COULD sue , we'd ALL be SCREWED )
This is truly commendable. However, the risk of being sued nowadays if much higher than it was in the 60's and 70's. The risk continents to increase as time goes by.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by N410DC
This is truly commendable. However, the risk of being sued nowadays if much higher than it was in the 60's and 70's. The risk continents to increase as time goes by.
I think you will find that the safety record of model aviation is very, very good though. And just because you sue, does not mean you have a case.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:45 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I think you will find that the safety record of model aviation is very, very good though. And just because you sue, does not mean you have a case.
Very, very true, in both respects.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:50 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Sorry, I disagree. The distribution channel of the product is hardly the reason for the issue, to point to that is to excuse the irresponsible usage by the pilot. Stores are under absolutely no obligation, legally or morally or even from a good business sense to try to provide usage direction or guidance. They sell products, and hope for repeat business. Gun shops don't bring someone to a range for gun safety classes, car dealerships don't do safe driving lessons, and the last time I got a new Henckels knife the salesman didn't offer to teach me how to julienne a carrot safely.

There is no way Horizon can do that, nor Tower...etc etc. And as rcmiket notes, most don't care. Many already know what it is and might already be in the hobby and of course some might be completely new to it. Regardless, if they use it incorrectly and cause damage to person or property, they should pay accordingly.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

The AMA, or a local club field, with experienced instructors, are not needed anymore. Now a days, the stuff is plug and play, and ready to go. No engine experience, no runway etc. Unfortunately, the LHS is not required either. The whole sense of camaraderie tends to be missing. In my club, of around 110 members, I do not feel I have anything in common with most of the members. I like to design, build, compete, travel to events, etc. Not them. Just pull the toy out of the box and fly it. Break it, buy another one. It is a soul less endeavour in my mind, compared to what the hobby was.
That's a pretty jaded opinion you have there on the state of the hobby so to speak. You should consider joining another club, or perhaps channeling your gifts and skills to other resources, like science classrooms of schools. Lots of new magnet schools opening up that focus on technology and even aviation. One of the members of my club recently spent the year helping some kids with a Science Olympics program building rubber band powered free flight models...helped them get to state level games. He was happy as could be, like a proud new papa.

I'd disagree about the need for the AMA, LHS, and clubs as well. Although I suspect there are more people flying that don't belong to clubs, all of the above serve a pretty valuable service and are very much in need...and in fact are well utilized. Don't lament the ARF and RTF technology that brings many folks into the hobby, so what if they don't design and scratch build. Isn't it enough that they fly and enjoy the hobby? Perhaps they will get around to building some day....it's only taken me 7 years.

The record is exceptional, and I would hope that would continue. You are right about litigation, there are cases filed all the time that have little merit, the mere cost of a defense is sometimes used as leverage to try to get money out of someone.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The AMA, or a local club field, with experienced instructors, are not needed anymore.

I completely disagree. Lots of training going on at the clubs in my area. Weekly training schedule during the flying season.

Now a days, the stuff is plug and play, and ready to go.

Really depends on what you fly. No much after you get outside of the entry level stuff.

No engine experience, no runway etc. Unfortunately, the LHS is not required either. The whole sense of camaraderie tends to be missing. In my club, of around 110 members, I do not feel I have anything in common with most of the members. I like to design, build, compete, travel to events, etc. Not them. Just pull the toy out of the box and fly it. Break it, buy another one. It is a soul less endeavour in my mind, compared to what the hobby was.

Often times that's because that's all they know. Take someone under your wing and show them the ropes.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:58 PM
vertical grimmace

That's a pretty jaded opinion you have there on the state of the hobby so to speak. You should consider joining another club, or perhaps channeling your gifts and skills to other resources, like science classrooms of schools. Lots of new magnet schools opening up that focus on technology and even aviation. One of the members of my club recently spent the year helping some kids with a Science Olympics program building rubber band powered free flight models...helped them get to state level games. He was happy as could be, like a proud new papa.

I'd disagree about the need for the AMA, LHS, and clubs as well. Although I suspect there are more people flying that don't belong to clubs, all of the above serve a pretty valuable service and are very much in need...and in fact are well utilized. Don't lament the ARF and RTF technology that brings many folks into the hobby, so what if they don't design and scratch build. Isn't it enough that they fly and enjoy the hobby? Perhaps they will get around to building some day....it's only taken me 7 years.

The record is exceptional, and I would hope that would continue. You are right about litigation, there are cases filed all the time that have little merit, the mere cost of a defense is sometimes used as leverage to try to get money out of someone.
I should have said that those entities are not needed by the new pilots entering the hobby. Runways and flying fields are not as necessary as they were to these individuals. Of course, for those of us flying giant scale, competition scale models (or comparably sized models) we do require such infrastructure. I also feel the AMA is important to my modeling pursuits.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

I should have said that those entities are not needed by the new pilots entering the hobby. Runways and flying fields are not as necessary as they were to these individuals. Of course, for those of us flying giant scale, competition scale models (or comparably sized models) we do require such infrastructure. I also feel the AMA is important to my modeling pursuits.
Thanks for the clarification. I do still think however that while not every new pilot "needs" the AMA, clubs, and LHS they are excellent resources for them. It's doubtful they will ever get to your level flying by themselves in a park.
You would do well showing younger and new folks the building and flying skills you no doubt have. I'm sure it would be more rewarding then dealing with the malaise that you see at your club.

Happy continued flying.

Last edited by porcia83; 11-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:12 PM
vertical grimmace

I have been an instructor in my club for years, but, the old traditional way of training seems to be non existent. We do not have any new pilots that we would have considered students in the past. The high quality (flying) park flyer models seem to have changed this aspect of the hobby.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yup, that is certainly a trend. Ironically some of the new planes with gyros and stabilizers and GPS functions, panic buttons etc etc make it almost impossible to train with a buddy box (which I learned on as did my son).
Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
vertical grimmace

Yup, that is certainly a trend. Ironically some of the new planes with gyros and stabilizers and GPS functions, panic buttons etc etc make it almost impossible to train with a buddy box (which I learned on as did my son).
I think you will agree that our instructors that taught us how to fly, did much more than just keep us from hitting the ground. Basic aerodynamics, and so forth. I guess that stuff can come later if they remain with the hobby and want to go further with it.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 PM
porcia83
Banned

I think you will agree that our instructors that taught us how to fly, did much more than just keep us from hitting the ground. Basic aerodynamics, and so forth. I guess that stuff can come later if they remain with the hobby and want to go further with it.
yes, agreed. My first instructor taught me how to fly in frgid cold windy November winds. Almost disabled my ailerons and was making me focus on rudder rudder rudder. I spent all this money on a 4 channel plane and he was dropping it down to basically a 3. It took a while to figure out why, and given that the main field I fly at has an almost constant brisk crosswind, I thank him for that. Flew this weekend in 25-35 mph gusts...loved every second of that rudder!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:07 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the whole reason the AMA had that bill pushed through congress was to protect all modelers who operated according to a CBO from being over regulated by the FAA, To me that should make it illegal to require AMA members to register their aircraft.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:36 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

there is a line in that bill that says, paraphrased:
nothing in the bill should be construed as limiting the ability to make and enforce limits on activity which hampers/affects safety in the nas.
that is the opening for registration requirement.
and the language in the bill only applying to the FAA, and not to the DOT itself, or anyone else for that matter..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.