Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And I think therein lies the problem. The real pros at this make sure the language leaves as little room for interpretation as possible, thereby reducing the agency's "gray area" in which to build regulations. Section 336 made all sorts of use of the term hobby and CBO, but what it lacked was the language that "hobby aircraft, as defined in this section, shall not be regulated as aircraft as defined in the FARs." That simple clause or something similar would likely have avoided all this. But what happened instead was some depended upon the FAA having the same definition of "hobby" as the writer of the language in the law. In the end, it left a lot of gray area for the FAA to interpret, which they did.

You are implying that the AMA made a mistake. I do not believe they did, they intended the modern drone be part of recreational sUAV (not drone). In fact the AMA has embraced them. IMO rightly so.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by N410DC
This is truly commendable. However, the risk of being sued nowadays if much higher than it was in the 60's and 70's. The risk continents to increase as time goes by.
LOL it's even easy to sue for the GROUND! Just claim it is harmful to the environment.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mongo
there is a line in that bill that says, paraphrased:
nothing in the bill should be construed as limiting the ability to make and enforce limits on activity which hampers/affects safety in the nas.
that is the opening for registration requirement.
and the language in the bill only applying to the FAA, and not to the DOT itself, or anyone else for that matter..
The only problem with that is registration does absolutely nothing to protect the NAS! What is to prevent someone with registered or unregistered sUAV of any type from endangering the NAS?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Lamoilleriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The only problem with that is registration does absolutely nothing to protect the NAS! What is to prevent someone with registered or unregistered sUAV of any type from endangering the NAS?
Government thinks time spent registering is time not flying, so the skies might be a little safer? Think some PSA's(public service announcements)might be more helpful, especially around the Christmas season, about the dangers of operating drones recklessly. Then of course there is the tough question, what to do about the IDIOTS?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Government thinks time spent registering is time not flying, so the skies might be a little safer? Think some PSA's(public service announcements)might be more helpful, especially around the Christmas season, about the dangers of operating drones recklessly. Then of course there is the tough question, what to do about the IDIOTS?
None of that protects the NAS!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 AM
rcmiket

Only a few more day's to Friday's announcement of just what the "recommendations" will be. We had rain here yesterday so no flying. I spent the day cleaning the bench for a 1/4 SE5A build. Ahh the smell of a balsa kit.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-16-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Got lucky this weekend weather wise...flew at a fly in in NY...on top of a big hill, 25-35mph gusts all day. Slope soared my Multiplex Mentor as well as my Hobby King EDF Vampire...funny to watch that one stay in one place suspended in the air, or going backwards. Not many days left to fly in the North East.

Any idea what time the announcement is on Friday?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83

No clue.

Mike
Old 11-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
One is all you need!
Isn't that the sad truth ............
Old 11-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Isn't that the sad truth ............
Sad? Um, no, not at all. In my experience it's always been one, or a very small number of folks that keep it all together. What's said is the 80% who contribute nothing.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Got lucky this weekend weather wise...flew at a fly in in NY...on top of a big hill, 25-35mph gusts all day. Slope soared my Multiplex Mentor as well as my Hobby King EDF Vampire...funny to watch that one stay in one place suspended in the air, or going backwards. Not many days left to fly in the North East.

Popcorn ready. All set for a weekend full of the sky is falling gloom and doom.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Popcorn ready. All set for a weekend full of the sky is falling gloom and doom.
It's going to be a nail biter!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mmmm.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	2130965  
Old 11-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It's going to be a nail biter!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maple Bacon Popcorn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:32 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You are implying that the AMA made a mistake. I do not believe they did, they intended the modern drone be part of recreational sUAV (not drone). In fact the AMA has embraced them. IMO rightly so.
Only in the sense that they were naive and did not fully understand (inexperienced) that despite the language in the law, there was ample room for adverse interpretation by the FAA.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Only in the sense that they were naive and did not fully understand (inexperienced) that despite the language in the law, there was ample room for adverse interpretation by the FAA.
Was that actually drafted by the AMA or by congress?
Old 11-16-2015, 02:58 PM
cj_rumley

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?ne...4245&cid=TW369

This should answer a previous query posted somewhere above. The thread has become so bloated by 'noise' from a certain quarter (of all posts) that I'm not going to bother looking for it.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:09 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by ira d
I thought the whole reason the AMA had that bill pushed through congress was to protect all modelers who operated according to a CBO from being over regulated by the FAA, To me that should make it illegal to require AMA members to register their aircraft.
Illegal or not, As I've posted before the FAA is akin to and almost as powerful as the IRS. Both are Enforcement, Judge, Jury and Executioner. U have to prove your Innocence U are not Innocent till they prove U guilty. Also I believe that the FAA's interpretation of amendment #336 had/has very much to do with the EGO of the FAA. They tolerate being told by congress what to do but not HOW to do it. That's the reason the FAA interpolated #336 completely opposite of what the AMA and Congress had intended. Looks like we will find out this Friday 20 Nov'15 what they the DOT mandated committee will suggest to the FAA about registration of DRONES. The FAA doesn't have a great track record of doing what the NTSB advises after accidents, may be they'll take another couple of years to decide on an answer, but I wouldn't bet on it this time. Come on FRIDAY. Let's get it over with and go back to flying and such.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:15 PM
franklin_m

You were not in the room to say they didn't write, as was I not in the room to say they did. However, being intimately with the legislative process in so far as I worked directly with staff on a specific item in an appropriations bill:

(1) I know the staff typically looks to the lobbyist for language to include.
(2) AMA took credit for getting it in there, and I don't often see folks taking credit for things they don't like / don't want. So if they didn't write it, they sure seemed happy with it (see below).

-------------------------------------
"Last week, Congress passed the first FAA Reauthorization bill in more than four years. The Bill included a special provision for model aircraft protecting it from FAA regulations.

Signed last night by President Obama, the special provision in the Bill recognizes community-based safety programming as an effective means of managing the modeling activity. The model aircraft section establishes minimum criteria for safe aeromodeling operations and specifically directs the FAA to not enact rules for modeling activity conducted within the safety programming of a nationwide community-based organization.

The culmination of AMA’s efforts over the past four years in achieving this recognition and obtaining the legislative safeguard is a great accomplishment for the aeromodeling community. This recognition will help with our continuing efforts with the FAA to improve safety in the national airspace."

( http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...des-protection )
Old 11-16-2015, 06:19 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

there is a line in that bill that says, paraphrased:
nothing in the bill should be construed as limiting the ability to make and enforce limits on activity which hampers/affects safety in the nas.
that is the opening for registration requirement.
To me that is an opening for_anything_the FAA wants to do....."won't somebody please think of the children!"
Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

"........You were not in the room to say they didn't write, as was I not in the room to say they did......"
Can't believe you actually answered the question that way....of all people?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
To me that is an opening for_anything_the FAA wants to do....."won't somebody please think of the children!"
"safety of the NAS"...the ultimate winning hand. Hard for someone to argue against that (but certainly doesn't stop some from doing so)....but it's a pretty vague and open ended phrase.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:24 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

You were not in the room to say they didn't write, as was I not in the room to say they did. However, being intimately with the legislative process in so far as I worked directly with staff on a specific item in an appropriations bill:

(1) I know the staff typically looks to the lobbyist for language to include.
(2) AMA took credit for getting it in there, and I don't often see folks taking credit for things they don't like / don't want. So if they didn't write it, they sure seemed happy with it (see below).

-------------------------------------
"Last week, Congress passed the first FAA Reauthorization bill in more than four years. The Bill included a special provision for model aircraft protecting it from FAA regulations.

Signed last night by President Obama, the special provision in the Bill recognizes community-based safety programming as an effective means of managing the modeling activity. The model aircraft section establishes minimum criteria for safe aeromodeling operations and specifically directs the FAA to not enact rules for modeling activity conducted within the safety programming of a nationwide community-based organization.

The culmination of AMA’s efforts over the past four years in achieving this recognition and obtaining the legislative safeguard is a great accomplishment for the aeromodeling community. This recognition will help with our continuing efforts with the FAA to improve safety in the national airspace."

( http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...des-protection )
actually, it was drafted in the office of senator, inohoe(SP) or some such name, and submitted by him.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:25 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
that is exactly what that is.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

I suspect the AMA sent in a draft of what they thought it should say. I doubt they said anything about protecting the NAS. I suspect other sections were revised as well.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 AM
franklin_m

actually, it was drafted in the office of senator, inohoe(SP) or some such name, and submitted by him.
We know Inhofe submitted the amendment, but private groups cannot introduce anything on the floor, so it had to go through a Senator. That doesn't necessarily mean they wrote it -- unless it's a personal issue for them.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...29+00583%29%29

It looks like he had three amendments to the bill, the AMA's was just one of them.

http://www.inhofe.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/inhofe-welcomes-passage-of-federal-aviation-bill

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-17-2015 at 03:01 AM. Reason: removed incorrect last sentence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.