Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
No that was the AMA's plan to get people to watch the video.

Mike
Haha...good one.

Please sir...won't you watch my video sir.....
Old 11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So if the FAA says that we have to register, are you saying you intend to not comply?
I have no problem complying whatsoever. I welcome a process that will separate legitimate operators from illegitimate operators.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Lamoilleriver

Everyone wants to avoid a drone/model aircraft versus a full-scale aircraft crash and its potential for loss of human life. Near misses occurs near airports, would think the FAA or whatever .GOV should patrol these areas and put a stop to these activities. Need to focus resources in areas of high probability, John Doe, living in po-dunk nowhere, being required to register his model aircraft, is a poor use of resources. It's a sad state of affairs when we have to waste tax dollars on such issues, it's just one of many.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I have no problem complying whatsoever. I welcome a process that will separate legitimate operators from illegitimate operators.
When did AMA members become illegitimate operators?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So if we are going to be mandated to register, at what point will we all be mandated to carry liability insurance? (Join AMA) I mean, I do for my car. This forces the quads into the AMA and also into the safety code. Just thinking out loud here.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Haha...good one.

If we can't laugh at ourselves,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,

Mike
Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Italy is banning drones! Don't know the details probably because of the Paris attack. But who knows? Just a matter or time before they try to take them away!

~~~~~
|
|
V
________ <FALLING SKY!
Haha...good one.

Over 4,000 have seen the video since it was posted just over a week ago. Not a bad start.

One the other hand, the video does not really provide any specific advice. It simply tells the viewer to follow the AMA safety code, and to check out the "Know Before You Fly" website.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by N410DC
Over 4,000 have seen the video since it was posted just over a week ago. Not a bad start.

One the other hand, the video does not really provide any specific advice. It simply tells the viewer to follow the AMA safety code, and to check out the "Know Before You Fly" website.

I suspect all of them will more or less say the same thing, just with different personalities. "I'm a big fan, supporter...etc etc. Fly safe, and go here for more info........"
Old 11-18-2015, 12:18 PM
TimJ

From the FAA:

FAA: Think Twice about “Drone Registration” Firms

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) wants unmanned aircraft owners to know that there’s no need to work with a “drone registration” company to help them file an application for a registration number.
Owners should wait until additional details about the forthcoming drone registration system are announced later this month before paying anyone to do the work for them.
The Task Force assigned to provide FAA Administrator Michael Huerta with recommendations on the registration process is still days away from delivering this information. But at least one company is already offering to help people register their drones for a fee.
Speaking to the Task Force two weeks ago, Administrator Huerta told the group to provide guidance on a streamlined unmanned aircraft registration process that will be simple and easy to complete, and which types of UAS would need to be registered and which would not. The Task Force agreed and is working on recommendations for a system that is similar to registering any newly purchased product with its manufacturer as well as a minimum weight for unmanned aircraft that must be registered.
Drone owners should visit FAA.gov for official updates on the unmanned aircraft registry.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:43 PM
mike1974

Haha...good one.

Was that a Jeff Dunham reference?
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

FAA: Think Twice about “Drone Registration” Firms

Like they don't have bigger fish to fry...how about they do the work they have been assigned to do, and meet the guidelines that they were supposed to meet...rather than interfering in what might be a start up company offering a service. Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine anyone going to some third party company to register their drone (if that what is required), but if they chose to do so, so what? Why would the FAA feel the need to give consumer advice. If it's legal, it should be none of their business.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974
Was that a Jeff Dunham reference?
Nope...sorry! I was thinking more along the lines of a kid selling stuff door to door.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

What are U going to register? Any thing has to have a Serial Number or so Unique code stamped on it so that the registration can be tracked by this number. U can put different plates on a car or truck but when U R stopped U have to present the registration and it has the VIN number on the registration which can be readily checked. How they going to check and be sure the registration number is correct without a VIN or Some sort of serial number on your plane from the manufacture? Just asking..
A Pilot number engraved on every Quad U own makes much more sense. Now if U were issued ONE Federal number or AMA number and it was required to be on the craft (When Flying) it makes much more sense to me than giving any and every sUAS it's own number Then trackng the individual flying it by that number. What if U sell it who is responsible to make sure it is reregistered. . I don't know about anyone here but I can fly only one plane at a time anyway. May be 2 or 3 Quads though. don't know.

Think I'll register every single plane I have even the 4 C/L hanging on the basement wall and all the broke ones too. I have a basement full a spare room full and a car and trailer fullto, might even be some in the garage in Wisconsin too.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-18-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

You send all that stuff to me buddy...I'll "register" it for you.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:37 PM
mike1974

Nope...sorry! I was thinking more along the lines of a kid selling stuff door to door.
Got it.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
What are U going to register? Any thing has to have a Serial Number or so Unique code stamped on it so that the registration can be tracked by this number. U can put different plates on a car or truck but when U R stopped U have to present the registration and it has the VIN number on the registration which can be readily checked. How they going to check and be sure the registration number is correct without a VIN or Some sort of serial number on your plane from the manufacture? Just asking..

Why not just wait until the task force releases the registration program? Is it really that hard?

I put my AMA number (i.e., registration number) on all my outdoor R/C aircraft as required by the AMA safety code. Not one of these aircraft contains any component that has a unique serial number on or in it.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:27 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Why not just wait until the task force releases the registration program? Is it really that hard?

I put my AMA number (i.e., registration number) on all my outdoor R/C aircraft as required by the AMA safety code. Not one of these aircraft contains any component that has a unique serial number on or in it.
That's exactly my Point There is NOTHING TO REGISTER but Color and type.
It was more or less an exercise in futility ... I'm sure it will be a bunch of BS anyway. The FAA doesn't have a great track record of following recommendations anyway. And that's all it is this Friday. RECOMMENDATIONS.

But OK I'll wait another 2-1/2 days Sorry.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-18-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:38 PM
franklin_m

Actually, my question was directed at another, but I'm glad to see that you'll support the registration.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:43 PM
franklin_m

Because I don't want them to take my planes away! The AMA isn't!
But you didn't answer the question....if you refuse to register despite a requirement to do so issued by lawful authority, why should anyone think you'll follow the AMA safety code when it doesn't carry force of law or government regulation?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Actually, my question was directed at another, but I'm glad to see that you'll support the registration.
I'm well aware, I just wanted to add my $0.02 anyway....
Old 11-18-2015, 02:48 PM
HoundDog

Because I don't want them to take my planes away! The AMA isn't!

But you didn't answer the question....if you refuse to register despite a requirement to do so issued by lawful authority, why should anyone think you'll follow the AMA safety code when it doesn't carry force of law or government regulation?
If there is registration of all model aircraft don't u think it would be part of the AMA safety code just as putting your AMA number on/in uour plane or your name address and phone number? I'll bet the AMA Safety Code is revised to state this faster than U/we can post another post.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:52 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chris p. Bacon
must be the nra propaganda brainwashing?
roflmao
Old 11-18-2015, 05:46 PM
mike1974

I will answer. As far as registration, I refuse to register because i'm tired of being regulated to death and this particular idea of registration, IMHO, is pointless.

To actually answer the question though, that is easy. Other than the 1 fpv plane that I fly non-los, I already follow the AMA safety code. Registration changes neither of those two things.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:00 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know why common sense can't rein. End the media sensationalism. One simple word. Enforce existing law. You break it, we're going to bust you. Plain and simple. Sometimes the simplest thing is the toughest. I learned a long time ago, that when problems occur, if you nip them in the bud, deal with the source, the problem goes away. All of a sudden, stupid people become smart.

What characterizes the world media is peddling stories designed to create sensationalism, hype, hysteria and ad nausem. You can't buy more than several bottles of cough syrup or allergy meds, because of the so called war on drugs. Measures done that appear to do great societal gain at the expense of the law abiding citizen's liberties, and more laws to entrap the law abiding citizen.

I stop (sigh).
Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 PM
thepamster

I would like to point out why I will only register my aircraft, or myself, if my flying site and club require it but instead I will just wait to see if I have to register anything at all.
Well, carry on then. Lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.