Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:28 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thepamster
I would like to point out why I will only register my aircraft, or myself, if my flying site and club require it but instead I will just wait to see if I have to register anything at all.
Well, carry on then. Lol.
You need to come in every now and then and level set the threads.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 PM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
From the FAA:

FAA: Think Twice about “Drone Registration” Firms

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) wants unmanned aircraft owners to know that there’s no need to work with a “drone registration” company to help them file an application for a registration number.
Owners should wait until additional details about the forthcoming drone registration system are announced later this month before paying anyone to do the work for them.
The Task Force assigned to provide FAA Administrator Michael Huerta with recommendations on the registration process is still days away from delivering this information. But at least one company is already offering to help people register their drones for a fee.
Speaking to the Task Force two weeks ago, Administrator Huerta told the group to provide guidance on a streamlined unmanned aircraft registration process that will be simple and easy to complete, and which types of UAS would need to be registered and which would not. The Task Force agreed and is working on recommendations for a system that is similar to registering any newly purchased product with its manufacturer as well as a minimum weight for unmanned aircraft that must be registered.
Drone owners should visit FAA.gov for official updates on the unmanned aircraft registry.
Originally Posted by porcia83
FAA: Think Twice about “Drone Registration” Firms

Like they don't have bigger fish to fry...how about they do the work they have been assigned to do, and meet the guidelines that they were supposed to meet...rather than interfering in what might be a start up company offering a service. Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine anyone going to some third party company to register their drone (if that what is required), but if they chose to do so, so what? Why would the FAA feel the need to give consumer advice. If it's legal, it should be none of their business.
Unbelievably enough, this site is already taking $25 from people to register their drones. The page states some of the rumors that have reportedly been "leaked" about the registration process (e.g. the 0.5+ pound weight threshold, and the data that will be collected.) I found a reference to a second site which is not up at the moment. I have filed a complaint with them via. PayPal. I would encourage others to do the same.

I hate to say it, but I admire the FAA for making this statement. The few minutes it took to type up this notice did not detract from the task at hand. If this saves just a few people from paying a company $25 to type a few things into a website for them, then it's worth the effort. The FAA is doing the right thing in this particular case.

Then again, I have a busted watch that is correct two times a day.

More info:
FAA Warns Against Drone Registration Services- Dronelife.com

Originally Posted by HoundDog
...A Pilot number engraved on every Quad U own makes much more sense. Now if U were issued ONE Federal number or AMA number and it was required to be on the craft (When Flying) it makes much more sense to me than giving any and every sUAS it's own number Then trackng the individual flying it by that number. What if U sell it who is responsible to make sure it is reregistered. . I don't know about anyone here but I can fly only one plane at a time anyway. May be 2 or 3 Quads though. don't know...
Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
...I put my AMA number (i.e., registration number) on all my outdoor R/C aircraft as required by the AMA safety code. Not one of these aircraft contains any component that has a unique serial number on or in it.
I agree. I do not understand why any serial numbers will need to be associated with a drone's registration number. The FAA, law enforcement agencies, etc. simply want to be able to have the capability to identify and locate the owner of a drone, if the drone is involved in a incident calls for legal action. If the FAA simply assigns each pilot one number to put on all of his drones, for the rest of his life, then the FAA will be able to trace a any of these drones back to him. Vehicle registrations are associated with VIN numbers and (in come cases) drivers license numbers in order to prevent people from registering their vehicles fraudulently, and to track down stolen vehicles. So far, the information that has been released about the task force's mission does not indicate any goals related to fraud or theft prevention. I think it will be simplest if the FAA simply requires us to register only once, and to use the single number they assign to us on all of our present and future airworthy models. A Utopian outcome would be allowing the use of one's AMA number on the model to satisfy the registration requirements, since the owner can be located via. his AMA number. I doubt this will happen, though.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by thepamster
I would like to point out why I will only register my aircraft, or myself, if my flying site and club require it but instead I will just wait to see if I have to register anything at all.
Well, carry on then. Lol.
My guess is that the AMA, and therefore all AMA chartered fields will require all pilots to comply with the FAA's registration rules. Allowing models to fly illegally at an established site may expose the land owners, the club, its officers, and the AMA to legal liability.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:24 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by N410DC
My guess is that the AMA, and therefore all AMA chartered fields will require all pilots to comply with the FAA's registration rules. Allowing models to fly illegally at an established site may expose the land owners, the club, its officers, and the AMA to legal liability.
Yep.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:11 AM
rcmiket

The AMA Charters Clubs not fields. They have no say over layouts or anything else when it comes to flying sites. With that said we already have the rule in the Safety Code ( written for insurance purposes) that requires air frames have the members information either on or in the them. The only time this whole deal would come into play is if something happened that caused a issue that attracted the attention of the FAA/DOT then the registration thing would identity the guilty party.
.Tomorrow we should have a idea just what and how this whole deal will pan out. Right now we are all just speculating.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-19-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

If the requirement becomes law then compliance will be mandatory regardless of anything the AMA can say or do.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:46 AM
rcmiket

If the requirement becomes law then compliance will be mandatory regardless of anything the AMA can say or do.
Would it not have to go though the legislative process to become law? As I see it right now ( tomorrow actually) we will be dealing with "recommendations"

Mike
Old 11-19-2015, 06:01 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

If we want to continue to fly, law abiding citizens will comply with whatever directive is put forth.

There were 689,527 auto thefts in 2014. (see https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...-vehicle-theft )

We already have mandatory registration of vehicles. Perhaps the greatest benefit is taxes collected through mandatory registration. I would not venture to guess that these so called measures may be another way to collect taxes. Recreational vehicles are considered luxury items.

If someone wants to use a FPV drone to compromise national or industrial security or down a passenger aircraft, registration will not resolve that. There is also nothing to prevent someone from stealing their registration number and using it on a drone.

I'm sure registration would have prevented this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Gilbert_Graham

(Sorry, LOL, couldn't help myself. )

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 11-19-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:38 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
If we want to continue to fly, law abiding citizens will comply with whatever directive is put forth.

There were 689,527 auto thefts in 2014. (see https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...-vehicle-theft )

We already have mandatory registration of vehicles. Perhaps the greatest benefit is taxes collected through mandatory registration. I would not venture to guess that these so called measures may be another way to collect taxes. Recreational vehicles are considered luxury items.

If someone wants to use a FPV drone to compromise national or industrial security or down a passenger aircraft, registration will not resolve that. There is also nothing to prevent someone from stealing their registration number and using it on a drone.

I'm sure registration would have prevented this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Gilbert_Graham

(Sorry, LOL, couldn't help myself. )
GallopingGhostler;
U R Preaching to the choir here, but government officials don't sing the same tunes the choir (Normal air breathing citizens) sing. The really don't think like normal human beings. I don't care at what level these Government officials/committees are, For some reason once elected or appointed they loose all touch with reality. Like your example of car theft, Registration doesn't prevent crime. If registration did work to deter crime (bad behavior) then gun registration would stop murders, bank robberies, and other gun related crime.
It's just a fact of life. We can only hope for something we can live with.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Allowing models to fly illegally at an established site may expose the land owners, the club, its officers, and the AMA to legal liability.
To my knowledge they said this will not even be a regulation and certainly not law, so it cannot be illegal to not register.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
To my knowledge they said this will not even be a regulation and certainly not law, so it cannot be illegal to not register.
That doesn't make any sense at all. IMHO the main reason for registration, aside from identification, is to be able to slap some simple fines/charges on those who don't comply. Perhaps as a means to instill the significance of safe flying and following the rules. Much easier to prosecute non-registration than big complex charges that require lots of investigation and resources which the FAA doesn't have.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 AM
franklin_m

That doesn't make any sense at all. IMHO the main reason for registration, aside from identification, is to be able to slap some simple fines/charges on those who don't comply. Perhaps as a means to instill the significance of safe flying and following the rules. Much easier to prosecute non-registration than big complex charges that require lots of investigation and resources which the FAA doesn't have.
Let's say registration becomes mandatory. If I'm FAA and I want to drive a whole bunch of registrations in a hurry, say 187,000 for example, then I start making well publicized spot checks of AMA club fields and AMA sponsored events. Hand out few violations and word will travel quickly inside the AMA membership - taking them off the table as far as non-compliance problems.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:28 AM
rcmiket

This is being posted on another site. No clue how accurate , still no definition of what needs to be "registered"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dro...end-2015-11-18

Mike
Old 11-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Let's say registration becomes mandatory. If I'm FAA and I want to drive a whole bunch of registrations in a hurry, say 187,000 for example, then I start making well publicized spot checks of AMA club fields and AMA sponsored events. Hand out few violations and word will travel quickly inside the AMA membership - taking them off the table as far as non-compliance problems.
As a taxpayer, I'd say more government waste as usual. Some AMA club fields are deserted, especially in the northern states this time of year. And more waste because AMA members/clubs have done a good job of following the requirements with a proven history.

If you're the FAA, why wouldn't you be out be out looking for offenders using the very analysis of reported sightings you collected? The analysis of reported sightings are those that contain the most potential safety risk as well as the most likely chance of the offender being someone who failed to register. Seems common sense that if the FAA wanted to make some examples out of folks as well as demonstrate the importance of their registration process (which I'm sure they're eager to toot their own horn) they'd go after the highest value targets first. Makes for great media attention as well.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 AM
rcmiket

As a taxpayer, I'd say more government waste as usual. Some AMA club fields are deserted, especially in the northern states this time of year. And more waste because AMA members/clubs have done a good job of following the requirements with a proven history.

If you're the FAA, why wouldn't you be out be out looking for offenders using the very analysis of reported sightings you collected? The analysis of reported sightings are those that contain the most potential safety risk as well as the most likely chance of the offender being someone who failed to register. Seems common sense that if the FAA wanted to make some examples out of folks as well as demonstrate the importance of their registration process (which I'm sure they're eager to toot their own horn) they'd go after the highest value targets first. Makes for great media attention as well.
My take is registration ( providing it was registered) would help in a incident where they wanted the guilty party identified. Will it work I highly doubt it. As far as the feds visiting fields to check up on modelers possible but not probable. I'm just guessing here knowing how the government works.

Mike
Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
This is being posted on another site. No clue how accurate , still no definition of what needs to be "registered"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dro...end-2015-11-18

Mike
That's great news if true.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 AM
franklin_m

I'm confident that the FAA can figure out which clubs are operating during what time of the year. I'm also confident that they can walk and crew gum at the same time, so they can make examples out of notworthy folks as they occur, but that's waiting for something to happen vice taking the initiative. Personally, I hope they crush people who don't register. As for taking the initiative, and drive compliance in a hurry by a big segment of operators, spot checking events / clubs would be a good method (ok, let's say in the south or southwest this time of the year).
Old 11-19-2015, 10:16 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

That's great news if true.
You really love a large, controlling, intrusive Gov't it seems. I don't get it, and I don't want any part of it.

I can tell you this; the only way I register or get a license is if it means I can fly my fpv plane non-los. If not, they can take a hike. I already fly ALL my other rc aircraft in accordance with the AMA safety code, so nothing registering /licensing is going to do to make me any safer.

We shall see tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM
mike1974

I'm confident that the FAA can figure out which clubs are operating during what time of the year. I'm also confident that they can walk and crew gum at the same time, so they can make examples out of notworthy folks as they occur, but that's waiting for something to happen vice taking the initiative. Personally, I hope they crush people who don't register. As for taking the initiative, and drive compliance in a hurry by a big segment of operators, spot checking events / clubs would be a good method (ok, let's say in the south or southwest this time of the year).
Sounds like a complete and utter waste of tax money and time. Checking events/clubs? You mean the ones that are probably already complying? That makes no sense. They can't even keep up with the workload they have now. Crush people who don't register? Sorry but, roflmfao!!!!

Little Johnny: Daddy, why are they taking you away?
Dad: I didn't register my 250 racing quad son.
Little Johhny: How long will you be gone daddy?
Dad: Should only be a couple years in jail son.
FAA violator crushing thug: shut up you infidel!! Kicks dad.
Little Johnny: Crying

Freaking reefer madness all over again! People are actually still so brainwashed and stupid they think Cannabis is an evil gateway drug; while buying their bottle of Jack and Vodka of course! You just cannot make this level of stupid up! I have zero faith left in humanity or our society.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Silent-AV8R

It appears as if the FAA is going to mirror the AMA systems and assign a uniques number to a person rather than to each and every "drone". This makes sense from both a mathematical and administrative point of view.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drone-registration-will-be-tied-to-person-not-drone-faa-task-force-to-recommend-2015-11-18
Old 11-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

LOL they don't do that for full scale airfields, not the private ones anyway. They make their list from voluntary submissions. Also huge problem with the existing database of registered full scale aircraft. I don't see anything coming of this, except a lot of hassle for us, and a huge failure for all.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
It appears as if the FAA is going to mirror the AMA systems and assign a uniques number to a person rather than to each and every "drone". This makes sense from both a mathematical and administrative point of view.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drone-registration-will-be-tied-to-person-not-drone-faa-task-force-to-recommend-2015-11-18
That would be a license, not registering. Think they are reducing the flack? LOL Think again!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It's not about confidence, it's about results. You completed your own analysis based on the FAA data of drone sightings. If your own analysis doesn't tell you where to go to work then that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your analysis or desire to get results. Perhaps it's just a bias for government to harass AMA members while ignoring the real safety threats? Maybe we need to bring in a government watchdog for overreaching incompetence.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM
mike1974

It's not about confidence, it's about results. You completed your own analysis based on the FAA data of drone sightings. If your own analysis doesn't tell you where to go to work then that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your analysis or desire to get results. Perhaps it's just a bias for government to harass AMA members while ignoring the real safety threats? Maybe we need to bring in a government watchdog for overreaching incompetence.
Wow!!!!! We agree on something!!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

Slate noted this too, as well as the overall farce this will be.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...e_of_cash.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.