Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:17 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
I'm sure that will make the families of those who died because of that person's history of irresponsibilities feel so much better.
Do you have a specific example, or is this another one of the "what might happen" scenarios?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:17 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
If someone might have had that pulled once for something, but later got it back...not sure what someone would do with that information, or why they would need it.
Well, then you've hit on an idea to save states tons of money. No need to retain driving records. While you're at it, why retain history on people with licenses to operate nuclear facilities? Or drive large vehicles? I'm sure the FAA can save money too, for they no longer need to keep track of pilot flight violation history. All because, as you've said "if someone had their license pulled once before but got it back, you're "not sure what someone would do with that information, or why they would need it."
Old 11-20-2015, 06:20 AM
franklin_m

Why then are these people not fired???????????
In many cases they are. But in some cases, the options are limited by collective bargaining agreements, HR policies, etc. What I can say though, is that if you don't have records, you can't even start a process. Also, when folks know that infractions can be part of a permanent record that follows them, it also has the effect of making them less likely to engage in the behavior in the first place. On the other hand, if they know the record is wiped clean every time....
Old 11-20-2015, 06:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Well, then you've hit on an idea to save states tons of money. No need to retain driving records. While you're at it, why retain history on people with licenses to operate nuclear facilities? Or drive large vehicles? I'm sure the FAA can save money too, for they no longer need to keep track of pilot flight violation history. All because, as you've said "if someone had their license pulled once before but got it back, you're "not sure what someone would do with that information, or why they would need it."

Haha....yes, perfectly legitimate comparison....nuclear operator, model airplane pilot. Oh my the hysteria we generate here to make a point. I do believe I have the vapors!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vapors.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	2131585  
Old 11-20-2015, 06:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

In many cases they are. But in some cases, the options are limited by collective bargaining agreements, HR policies, etc. What I can say though, is that if you don't have records, you can't even start a process. Also, when folks know that infractions can be part of a permanent record that follows them, it also has the effect of making them less likely to engage in the behavior in the first place. On the other hand, if they know the record is wiped clean every time....
You like to change the goalpost as the discussion moves along...who said anything about wiping a record? Is that the same as not releasing a record to anyone who feels the need to ask for it?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:31 AM
franklin_m

Haha....yes, perfectly legitimate comparison....nuclear operator, model airplane pilot. Oh my the hysteria we generate here to make a point.
Given the size and speed of turbine models (Total Energy = Potential Energy + Kinetic Energy), the risk they pose is literally the same as vehicles operating on our roads. And I'd point out we keep records on the behavior of those "operators," and you presumably don't take issue with that, so why take issue with something that presents a similar risk due to size and speed, yet has none of the DOT required safety systems, a level of engineering noway near comparable to that in our vehicles, and assembled w/o nearly as many checks and balances, and without nearly as robust QA processes?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Insurance companies #1 priority with any claim is try and figure out a way not to pay. It's just that simple.

How here's one for you. Why did the chicken cross the road? Bonus What sex was the chicken?

Mike
Within reason that is true. But they also understand that if they never paid out there would be no reason to buy insurance. I have seen insurance pay claims I thought were dubious.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:38 AM
franklin_m

You like to change the goalpost as the discussion moves along...who said anything about wiping a record? Is that the same as not releasing a record to anyone who feels the need to ask for it?
When the history if not readily available (i.e. public), people cannot make informed decisions. A guy who shows up at a club field on a Sunday. He has a waiver. If someone wants to find out if they have a history, and thus warrant a more cautious approach, is AMA really going to respond on a Sunday? Doubt it. So the club makes a decision to allow flight based on incomplete information, and thus exposes people and property owners to risk to which they might not have been exposed had the club readily had the full history of the individual.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Unfortunately, that theory is not supported among safety professionals in any number of industries, including aviation. Past behavior is a reliable indicator of future performance. It's the reason for driving records, criminal records, claims history, etc. There's simply too many examples out there supporting keeping records rather than wiping the slate clean each time.
Ok, then what is the future performance when the past performance is only a few nicks on an airplane and no injuries and certainly no fatalities. We are doing this just to prevent future nicks on aircraft?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:46 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Within reason that is true. But they also understand that if they never paid out there would be no reason to buy insurance. I have seen insurance pay claims I thought were dubious.
Agreed.

Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Lamoilleriver

Do you have a specific example, or is this another one of the "what might happen" scenarios?
Drunk Driving? Drunks with a history of multiple DWI/DUI convictions, never kill anybody? (sarcasm) Drivers with a history of moving violations, had a bicyclist killed recently by a young irresponsible driver well known to the local law enforcement community. I'll give people a second chance, not multiple chances. An airline pilot, train engineer, ship captain, etc. shows up intoxicated at work , FIRED- PERIOD, no second chances, the risk is too great.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

When the history if not readily available (i.e. public), people cannot make informed decisions. A guy who shows up at a club field on a Sunday. He has a waiver. If someone wants to find out if they have a history, and thus warrant a more cautious approach, is AMA really going to respond on a Sunday? Doubt it. So the club makes a decision to allow flight based on incomplete information, and thus exposes people and property owners to risk to which they might not have been exposed had the club readily had the full history of the individual.
What are we, modelers or terrorists?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:53 AM
rcmiket

I'm a modeler.

Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 AM
franklin_m

Ok, then what is the future performance when the past performance is only a few nicks on an airplane and no injuries and certainly no fatalities. We are doing this just to prevent future nicks on aircraft?
So are you saying these sort of "nicks on an airplane" are, in your mind, acceptable? Clearly you've never had an engine come apart on you due to FOD damage (missing intake temperature probe, smaller in size / mass than a 450 size heli main shaft), and subsequent loss of auxiliary hydraulic systems, etc. All those chunks missing go somewhere...back through the rest of the engine into the hot section, where the blades are the size of a fingernail, easily broken, and then they depart the case much like shrapnel, potentially cutting fuel lines, hydraulic lines, tanks, accumulators, etc.

Clearly you've never been at the controls of an aircraft when FOD damage resulted in cut fuel lines spraying atomized JP5 on the hot section. You've also clearly not been accountable for flight safety of your crew or people on the ground when FOD damage resulted in cut hydraulic lines spraying that fluid on a hot section. Unfortunately, I have, and both times it resulted in engine fires, and posed a significant risk to flight safety.

It's irresponsible for you to trivialize the potential for damage as a "nick." Below is a picture of what one bird can do. No metal parts, no LiPo batteries, no cameras, just soft flesh.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2_61_bird_strike_md11.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2131586  
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

So are you saying these sort of "nicks on an airplane" are, in your mind, acceptable? Clearly you've never had an engine come apart on you due to FOD damage (missing intake temperature probe, smaller in size / mass than a 450 size heli main shaft), and subsequent loss of auxiliary hydraulic systems, etc. All those chunks missing go somewhere...back through the rest of the engine into the hot section, where the blades are the size of a fingernail, easily broken, and then they depart the case much like shrapnel, potentially cutting fuel lines, hydraulic lines, tanks, accumulators, etc.

Clearly you've never been at the controls of an aircraft when FOD damage resulted in cut fuel lines spraying atomized JP5 on the hot section. You've also clearly not been accountable for flight safety of your crew or people on the ground when FOD damage resulted in cut hydraulic lines spraying that fluid on a hot section. Unfortunately, I have, and both times it resulted in engine fires, and posed a significant risk to flight safety.

It's irresponsible for you to trivialize the potential for damage as a "nick." Below is a picture of what one bird can do. No metal parts, no LiPo batteries, no cameras, just soft flesh.

That was a bird not a drone! IMO most drones would cause less damage. Besides who was hurt by that bird. This is a huge overreaction for a fairly minor safety problem!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 AM
franklin_m

That was a bird not a drone! IMO most drones would cause less damage. Besides who was hurt by that bird. This is a huge overreaction for a fairly minor safety problem!
A bird with flesh and frangible bones less damage than a drone with steel and LiPo batteries? You have no understanding of physics, nor do you have an understand of how much of the risk posed by engine failures.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 AM
Lamoilleriver

Tell that to the pilot and passengers who landed in the Hudson River.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always considered myself a hobbyist that has built numerous types of different models.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Over a long aviation career, I've taken bird strikes to windshield, nose cones, wings and engines, and never once ended up in the Hudson River . I will not even go into lightening strikes, which can occur in clear sky, many, miles from any thunder storm.

Many years ago even my Senior Kadet while on short final took a bird strike to its right wing. Landed it safely. Repaired a little damage and still have it in flyable condition.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:47 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by lettaviation
The airspace from the surface to 60000' is regulated and managed by the FAA. They decide what, who, and when it will fly around in it. When terrorist start using our hobby to achieve their means, then it will probably spell the end of our avocation. Therefore, I support the registering of model aircraft.
And just How many Terrorist are going to Register their DRONES they intend to use as "Weapons of Terror?" Just saying AGAIN if Registration worked no one would be killed by "GUNS".
Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Aircraft in question can fly on one engine. Problem is, his engines sucked in not one bird, but more than one, enough to stop both engines.

Let's face it. A so called recreational multibladed drone or RC aircraft with first person video (FPV) is the only thing that can fly beyond recognizable sight limits. A visual flight oriented aircraft without FPV flown a reasonable distance away from airports is least likely to be a menace.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Over a long aviation career, I've taken bird strikes to windshield, nose cones, wings and engines, and never once ended up in the Hudson River . I will not even go into lightening strikes, which can occur in clear sky, many, miles from any thunder storm.

Many years ago even my Senior Kadet while on short final took a bird strike to its right wing. Landed it safely. Repaired a little damage and still have it in flyable condition.
I know of one coopers hawk that got hit by a buddy's electric plane and made a save landing in the corn. Anyway it looked to be a safe landing, Just set his wings and circled down, Never did find him though.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 AM
F-16 viperman

You want 100% security that You'll never see anything bad happen in the future? Plant Yourself six feet under!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:03 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
You want 100% security that You'll never see anything bad happen in the future? Plant Yourself six feet under!
I've seen enough RC aircraft that got planted close to that!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 AM
TexasFlyBoy
My Feedback: (30)

Please get help! This has become BAT**** CRAZY!!! Oh just think, if that one bird had only been registered, with an identification band on its fleshy little foot. There would have been a record of the nick in this precious little birds beak from when it bounced off the window displaying its irresponsible behavior and the authorities would have saved the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.