Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Lamoilleriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Wow...we finally agree. I'm all for licensing of all sUAS pilots. Annual online knowledge test, eye test (upload recent document would be sufficient, under penalty of perjury sort of approach), lots of possibilities. But boy, if there's this much outrage over putting a silly number on the exterior of a sUAS, I can only imagine what would happen if they mandated licenses.
Registration is just the beginning of the slippery slope, like you suggest licensing, annual knowledge test, eye tests, might as well include physicals and a letter from the Pope. I've been flying responsibly for over 40 years, now that technology has changed where any IDIOT can fly a multi-rotor anywhere, the cry goes out to control everyone. Sheeeeesh!!

Common sense is DEAD.

Read a sign on playground equipment in Kansas, "Warning equipment surfaces get hot in the sun", REALLY? have we stooped so low that we have to place such signs on playground equipment?, A little voice in my head says, Hey LR no fly that aircraft in an airport approach, IT'S NOT SAFE.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:43 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Everyone agrees with Bacon eventually!
As I said before, I Love BLT'S with lots of Mayo.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:43 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Common sense is DEAD.

Read a sign on playground equipment in Kansas, "Warning equipment surfaces get hot in the sun", REALLY? have we stooped so low that we have to place such signs on playground equipment?, .

Unfortunately as a civilization we have but we can operate the crap out of a smart phone.
Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 02:48 PM
FLAPHappy

Registration is just the beginning of the slippery slope, like you suggest licensing, annual knowledge test, eye tests, might as well include physicals and a letter from the Pope. I've been flying responsibly for over 40 years, now that technology has changed where any IDIOT can fly a multi-rotor anywhere, the cry goes out to control everyone. Sheeeeesh!!

Common sense is DEAD.

Read a sign on playground equipment in Kansas, "Warning equipment surfaces get hot in the sun", REALLY? have we stooped so low that we have to place such signs on playground equipment?, A little voice in my head says, Hey LR no fly that aircraft in an airport approach, IT'S NOT SAFE.

Look at the millions of dollars people received for sueing McDonalds for Hot Coffee. That's our GUBMENT.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:48 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
As I said before, I Love BLT'S with lots of Mayo.
Man that sounds good right now, and a cold one right next to it.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:51 PM
FLAPHappy

Man that sounds good right now, and a cold one right next to it.
That's for Supper in an Hour!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That wasn't one bird, it was a flock of birds. Several birds were ingested at once in each engine and geese at that! One small drone is not going to put out two jet engines, and until people are flying flocks of drones it is still a minor safety issue that does now warrant a drastic measure such as registering which most will not do anyway!
Sporty any idea what the fine (If Any) might be for flying an unregistered sUAS in the NAS? If it is nothing or insignificant than what's the use? What the price for driving an unregistered vehicle?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I have yet to experience such an elusive moment.
Good things take time.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 PM
lettaviation

I believe the FAA will try to minimize the cost of registering. With this said, we should expect to pay at least $5 per aircraft to be registered them. If the FAA contracts the registration process out to a contractor, they (contractors) will view this as a cash cow thus, will increase the registration fee. By the way, I came up with the amount of $5 per aircraft because this is the fee the FAA charge to register a full scale airplane.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Sporty any idea what the fine (If Any) might be for flying an unregistered sUAS in the NAS? If it is nothing or insignificant than what's the use? What the price for driving an unregistered vehicle?
Don't know for sure, but I wouldn't want to be the one to find out! As for the car...that varies from state to state, even city/town to town. In some instances a written warning, in some confiscation of vehicle and a cuff and stuff. Usually expensive though! And AAA ain't pickin up the tab on that tow.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:13 AM
rcmiket

"WASHINGTON (AP) – Industry officials say an aviation task force is recommending that operators be required to register drones weighing as little as half a pound, a threshold that could include some remote-controlled toys.
Federal Aviation Administration officials who convened the 25-member task force on drone registration have said they want to avoid requiring the registration of toys.
But industry officials say the consensus of the task force is that 250 grams, which is about a half-pound, should be the weight threshold that triggers registration.
The officials spoke on the condition that they not be named because the FAA has asked that the task force’s discussions be kept private.
The registration requirement would apply to drone operators rather than individual drones, to avoid requiring multiple registrations.
The threshold is based on the potential impact a drone that size would have if it fell from the sky and struck a person or if it collided with a helicopter or plane, they said.
The recommendations were expected to be submitted to the FAA by today. The FAA then can modify them, and hopes to issue the rules before Christmas to begin registering some of the thousands of drones expected to be purchased over the holidays. One industry official said the target date is Dec. 21.
Four people familiar with the advisory group’s deliberations described the conclusions to The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the FAA asked that the discussions be kept private.
The registration requirement would apply to drone operators rather than individual drones to avoid requiring operators who own multiple drones to register more than once. The operator would receive a single registration number, which would then be affixed to the body of each drone."

Mike
Old 11-21-2015, 05:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by lettaviation
I believe the FAA will try to minimize the cost of registering. With this said, we should expect to pay at least $5 per aircraft to be registered them. If the FAA contracts the registration process out to a contractor, they (contractors) will view this as a cash cow thus, will increase the registration fee. By the way, I came up with the amount of $5 per aircraft because this is the fee the FAA charge to register a full scale airplane.
I'm betting registration is free.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:01 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"WASHINGTON (AP) – Industry officials say an aviation task force is recommending that operators be required to register drones weighing as little as half a pound, a threshold that could include some remote-controlled toys.
Federal Aviation Administration officials who convened the 25-member task force on drone registration have said they want to avoid requiring the registration of toys.
But industry officials say the consensus of the task force is that 250 grams, which is about a half-pound, should be the weight threshold that triggers registration.
The officials spoke on the condition that they not be named because the FAA has asked that the task force’s discussions be kept private.
The registration requirement would apply to drone operators rather than individual drones, to avoid requiring multiple registrations.
The threshold is based on the potential impact a drone that size would have if it fell from the sky and struck a person or if it collided with a helicopter or plane, they said.
The recommendations were expected to be submitted to the FAA by today. The FAA then can modify them, and hopes to issue the rules before Christmas to begin registering some of the thousands of drones expected to be purchased over the holidays. One industry official said the target date is Dec. 21.
Four people familiar with the advisory group’s deliberations described the conclusions to The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the FAA asked that the discussions be kept private.
The registration requirement would apply to drone operators rather than individual drones to avoid requiring operators who own multiple drones to register more than once. The operator would receive a single registration number, which would then be affixed to the body of each drone."

Mike
First sensible thing I've heard about this whole registration process.
There is nothing here saying weather the FAA is going to include fixed wing and heilos as Drones or just Multi Rotors as Drones. We can only hope that it's only MR's
Old 11-21-2015, 06:10 AM
franklin_m

There is nothing here saying weather the FAA is going to include fixed wing and heilos as Drones or just Multi Rotors as Drones. We can only hope that it's only MR's
Given that "drone" is not an official FAA term, I suspect that everywhere you see the word "drone" in the media report, you'll see "sUAS" in the FAA language.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:18 AM
HoundDog

Given that "drone" is not an official FAA term, I suspect that everywhere you see the word "drone" in the media report, you'll see "sUAS" in the FAA language.
The question is Registration of Pilots going to be only for Multi Rotors or Every thing over a half pound? Guess we'll just wait till 21 Dec 2015 for the FAA interpretation of the task force's recommendations. More Hurry up and wait ... thought That was over long long ago when I left the USAF ... Guess not.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:28 AM
rcmiket

How did you get that from what was written? I see no distinction made between platform's. This bothers me a bit.

"The threshold is based on the potential impact a drone that size would have if it fell from the sky and struck a person or if it collided with a helicopter or plane, "

It very well could include everything we currently fly.

Just ran across this.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...skforce-member

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-21-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:42 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by lettaviation
Many reports of leaked info indicate that registration will be free. Granted, this is reportedly based on the committee's recommendations, which may or may not be accepted by the FAA.

If registration is free (and I hope it is), I wonder how the process will be funded?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I'm betting registration is free.
The FAR's say that it is not. $5 minimum
Old 11-21-2015, 07:00 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by N410DC
If registration is free (and I hope it is), I wonder how the process will be funded?
I suspect they'll do the initial website setup out of current operational funds and then build a wedge into next year's budget for ongoing support. Given the attention this has received in Congress, I don't see them having trouble getting a line item to fund this. There's a possibility some money could be added on just about any upcoming appropriation legislation.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:01 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
How did you get that from what was written? I see no distinction made between platform's. This bothers me a bit.

"The threshold is based on the potential impact a drone that size would have if it fell from the sky and struck a person or if it collided with a helicopter or plane, "

It very well could include everything we currently fly.

Just ran across this.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...skforce-member

Mike

By sensible i mean that the (FAA I believe) want to register Drone operators and then require them to have that registration number on their DRONES.

I didn't get anything here I simply stated that I didn't see anything that the FAA was going to include or Exclude fixed wing and helios PILOTS in the registration.

Infact every thing I've watched read or seen concerning registration or portrayed in the news media no one mentioned anything but QUADS MULTI ROTOR Registration for any thing but Quads and/or MR"s
U see anything lately to the contrary?

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-21-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Lamoilleriver

Ihre Papiere bitte!!!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:29 AM
HoundDog

Ihre Papiere bitte!!!!!
Is that French Canadian for something or did your spell checker quit?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

And here are two words you probably won't see......fixed wing.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:08 AM
franklin_m

And here are two words you probably won't see......fixed wing.
Fixed wing would be sUAS, MRs would be sUAS, helicopters would be sUAS. I'm predicting the requirement will address sUAS writ large and then all these linguistic gyrations will thankfully end.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Lamoilleriver

Is that French Canadian for something or did your spell checker quit?
German for "your papers please", seemed appropriate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.