Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 11-23-2015, 11:11 AM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of us assumed, the task force recommends that:
  • Registration will be free (well, no more than $0.001).
  • Pilots will be able to get a single registration number for all sUAVs. Only one registration is needed, whether you own 1 or 10,000 aircraft
  • 250g and lighter aircraft are exempt
  • Registration only requires submission of pilot's name/address. Data will be kept private, and (unlike full scale "N" numbers,) will not available to the public.
  • Only aircraft flown outdoors need to be registered.
  • The registration or serial number number must be affixed to each aircraft, and must be readable, but only upon "close inspection." Thus, printing a registration number on a label, using 8 point font, is fine, since the registration number does not need to be viable from a distance. It looks like the number will need to be on the exterior of the aircraft, though.

Here are the things that I was a little surprised to see:
  • Pilots must be at least age 13 to register. Parents would have register sUAVs for any pilot under age 13.
  • Pilots can optionally submit the serial number of the aircraft and can use this number for identification, as long as the SN is clearly readable on the exterior of the aircraft. Very few model aircraft will meet this requirement; pretty much just store-bought RTF aircraft. Furthermore, I don't see why a pilot would take the extra steps to register a single sUAV individually, when he can just affix his registration number to the sUAV, just as does for all his other aircraft. I suppose a few people who own only one sUAV (e.g. no one who is reading this) will chose this option.

Of course, these are just recommendations. The FAA can still decide what they will accept and what will be thrown out. In particular, the task force made no recommendation about the penalties for non-compliance, aside from saying that the current $25,000 fine might be a little steep for a 13 year old who bought a toy at wal-mart, and forgot to register it.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
What Bozo proposed a registration fee of 1/10 of a cent? Does the US Mint need to stamp a Mil coin?
This is indeed silly. Looks like the task force was very much opposed to any type of registration fee. However, it seems that there may be some law that requires the FAA to charge a registration fee. They therefore recommend the 1/000 of a penny fee, just in case the FAA decides that this fee is necessary. The cost would assumingly be rounded down to $0.00??

Originally Posted by philakapd
I would have like fixed wing aircraft to be exempt OR applying your AMA information on the sUAS to satisfy the registration requirements.
I think the list is reasonable for public safety and will be necessary. There will be millions of little toys added annually to the national air space.
It's web based and accessible via cell phone with an "APP".

It's the government, what could possibly go wrong?
I agree. Allowing the use of one's AMA number makes a lot more sense that allowing pilots to register a serial number for sUAVs, for the very small number of sUAVs that even have a serial number.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Dup post.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 11-23-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 AM
F-16 viperman

It says You can have the number inside a compartment, as long as it's accessible without tools. Just make sure it's registered and You'll have nothing to worry about. If a demand is made to prove it's registered, make sure YOU remove the hatch. Don't let the TOOL demanding proof do it.LOL

Last edited by F-16 viperman; 11-23-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by philakapd
Is RC flying a right or a privilege? Yes, this is a serious question.
If its a right, okay bring the law suits.
If its a privilege, why can't there be rules and regulations created by a government body?

Don't get me wrong. I don't want "big brother" but I DO want public safety and accountability for the communities.
It is a right as are most hobbies per the 9th Amendment. However, that does not mean that there cannot be some regulation, nor that the right cannot be taken from us.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:40 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

There may be 1 million "drones" sold this year, but how many are really going to cause any kind of a true safety issue. Probably not many. And how many of those will be registered? Probably not many. If being part of the AMA means I am "registered" I am fine with that. I just won't go out and do an additional registration. I already have my info on all my aircraft, including my fpv foam glider that I fly non-los. Not sure what additional registration will get them in my case. I wish they would provide a "legal" way to fly non-los. I would be all over that!!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:46 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
It says You can have the number inside a compartment, as long as it's accessible without tools. Just make sure it's registered and You'll have nothing to worry about. If a demand is made to prove it's registered, make sure YOU remove the hatch. Don't let the TOOL demanding proof do it.LOL
Wow. Very, very well said!

Then again, if you crash, and law enforcement finds it before you do, you had better hope that the hatch becomes dislodged in the crash, since the "tool" will not be smart enough to find the registration number.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by N410DC
This is indeed silly. Looks like the task force was very much opposed to any type of registration fee. However, it seems that there may be some law that requires the FAA to charge a registration fee. They therefore recommend the 1/000 of a penny fee, just in case the FAA decides that this fee is necessary. The cost would assumingly be rounded down to $0.00??

I agree. Allowing the use of one's AMA number makes a lot more sense that allowing pilots to register a serial number for sUAVs, for the very small number of sUAVs that even have a serial number

I think many of the people that are flying what we refer to as drones are not AMA members, I think the best thing to do is go with the permit system that being each individual would have a permit number that they would
display on their model in other words one # used all models they own.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mike1974
There may be 1 million "drones" sold this year, but how many are really going to cause any kind of a true safety issue. Probably not many. And how many of those will be registered? Probably not many. If being part of the AMA means I am "registered" I am fine with that. I just won't go out and do an additional registration. I already have my info on all my aircraft, including my fpv foam glider that I fly non-los. Not sure what additional registration will get them in my case. I wish they would provide a "legal" way to fly non-los. I would be all over that!!
And on top of that the one of millions that eventually does cause a true safety issue will not be registered. Either because they will not know about registering, or because they don't care.

Even with informed here more than half SAY that they will not register. Of course that is before we know what the fine will be. LOL
Old 11-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by N410DC
Wow. Very, very well said!

Then again, if you crash, and law enforcement finds it before you do, you had better hope that the hatch becomes dislodged in the crash, since the "tool" will not be smart enough to find the registration number.

In which case how would the "tool" would know it was his model? Er sUAV.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:04 PM
mike1974

And on top of that the one of millions that eventually does cause a true safety issue will not be registered. Either because they will not know about registering, or because they don't care.

Even with informed here more than half SAY that they will not register. Of course that is before we know what the fine will be. LOL
LOL!! I am already registered. I have an AMA number and my info (more than what registration will supposedly require) is on all my aircraft.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:11 PM
N410DC

Agreed. Pretty much 100% of the American population now knows that it's illegal to fly sUAVs in certain areas. If someone plans to use a drone to count nose hairs in the cockpit of a 747 at 10,000 feet, he will not put a registration number on the drone, or will remove any identification number that is already affixed. He might even affix someone else's registration number to the drone, to keep the heat off his back. Crooks have been filing the serial number off guns, and stealing license pates for decades. The same tactics can be used with sUAVs, especially since the FAA will apparently not be linking registration numbers to specific aircraft.

This new mandate will keep honest people honest, but it might not do much to alleviate the problems that prompted this action in the first place.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Sport_Pilot

Agreed. Pretty much 100% of the American population now knows that it's illegal to fly sUAVs in certain areas
I think maybe you mean't to say 10%. There isn't even 100% that know these aircraft exist!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM
F-16 viperman

As Joe walsh would say, "But seriously folks", Are'nt all CBO's marginalized now, not even being mentioned in the recommendations? I would assume now, since the registry will now be the governing authority, and will probably adopt most of AMA's safety code, and I'm pretty sure it's not copyrighted, won't that make AMA simply a insurance provider? and if that is true, if I have other insurance equal to that of AMA, how could I be turned away from a ama chartered field if it is on public land? Is'nt that anti-trust insurance monopolizing? Just asking if anybody knows off-hand.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
mike1974

As Joe walsh would say, "But seriously folks", Are'nt all CBO's marginalized now, not even being mentioned in the recommendations? I would assume now, since the registry will now be the governing authority, and will probably adopt most of AMA's safety code, and I'm pretty sure it's not copyrighted, won't that make AMA simply a insurance provider? and if that is true, if I have other insurance equal to that of AMA, how could I be turned away from a ama chartered field if it is on public land? Is'nt that anti-trust insurance monopolizing? Just asking if anybody knows off-hand.
Interesting thoughts. I have homeowners, so that is my primary insurance. I ONLY have AMA because our club requires it. Other then that I would not have AMA. Not hating on the AMA.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:47 PM
F-16 viperman

Originally Posted by mike1974
Interesting thoughts. I have homeowners, so that is my primary insurance. I ONLY have AMA because our club requires it. Other then that I would not have AMA. Not hating on the AMA.
Not a AMA hater either. been a member almost 50 years. Turbine waiver holder for 13 of those years. Just want to Know where we're all going.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The club treasurer shouldn't need to spend personal time validating a bunch of different insurance policies, researching fine print limitations, etc.
The insurance via AMA is universally accepted with a proven track record and it is dirt cheap.
All the club treasurer needs to see is a current AMA card and he can get on with his life.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:10 PM
F-16 viperman

Originally Posted by combatpigg
The club treasurer shouldn't need to spend personal time validating a bunch of different insurance policies, researching fine print limitations, etc.
The insurance via AMA is universally accepted with a proven track record and it is dirt cheap.
All the club treasurer needs to see is a current AMA card and he can get on with his life.
Not answering My question. Could'nt that be considered Anti-trust For AMA to require the club to only accept Their insurance?
Old 11-23-2015, 01:13 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if this registration/number will be required now to enter AMA events?
Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 PM
F-16 viperman

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I wonder if this registration/number will be required now to enter AMA events?
You know it.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Just wait till $0.001 inflates to $1000. You think the AMA is expensive? Wait till Uncle Sam gets into your wallet.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:30 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Rumor has it there are at least two lines that end with, "like....totallly".
I didn't read that anywhere in the "recommendations". Just one question did this pan out as you thought it would? It ain't written in stone yet but it's getting close.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 01:37 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Apparently the AMA was out to lunch on their meetings. Or maybe they were making the coffee. It does not look like any AMA input is in this.
Where do you come up with this stuff? Did you see any one group mentioned in here in terms of their input? Was one group mentioned more than others...or was no specific group mentioned? LoL
Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Where do you come up with this stuff? Did you see any one group mentioned in here in terms of their input? Was one group mentioned more than others...or was no specific group mentioned? LoL
Maybe the same place you came up with they were only going to register multi rotors. I don't think we (the AMA ) had much of a input either,
I just read read Dave's response to the recommendations. Would have been nice to get that across to the members of the committee. I'm sure it will show up in your mailbox soon but if you can;t wait it's on the AMA site.
This whole thing stinks. Plan B might not have worked either but Plan A never had a chance.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-23-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:43 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

What Bozo proposed a registration fee of 1/10 of a cent? Does the US Mint need to stamp a Mil coin?
I you read it cllosely it says that IF THE FAA HAS TO IMPOSE A FEE then it should be $.001, effectively preventing a fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.