Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 01:49 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
What could go wrong is lack of legislation to give them the authority to do this. I see lawsuits coming. Expect to see other defining what an "airplane" is. Lots of other tacts as well.
I am constantly amazed (or amused) at your consistant faluure to read the whol thing. Your question was answered on the very first page.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
There may be 1 million "drones" sold this year, but how many are really going to cause any kind of a true safety issue. Probably not many. And how many of those will be registered? Probably not many. If being part of the AMA means I am "registered" I am fine with that. I just won't go out and do an additional registration. I already have my info on all my aircraft, including my fpv foam glider that I fly non-los. Not sure what additional registration will get them in my case. I wish they would provide a "legal" way to fly non-los. I would be all over that!!
With registration when that foam glider goes off on it's own because the battery went dead and strikes a farmer's cow which goes nuts and tramples the farmer they can trace the glider back to you..
Old 11-23-2015, 02:04 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
Not answering My question. Could'nt that be considered Anti-trust For AMA to require the club to only accept Their insurance?
This opens another huge can of worms with the feds now the registering party. My homeowners is also my primary insurer. This is going to get interesting.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 02:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Not answering My question. Could'nt that be considered Anti-trust For AMA to require the club to only accept Their insurance?
I did not realize that the AMA can dictate to a club that they can only accept AMA insurance.
That doesn't fit in with the AMA's usual democratic approach to most things that involve a club's ability to
decide for themselves how they want to operate.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
This opens another huge can of worms with the feds now the registering party. My homeowners is also my primary insurer. This is going to get interesting.

Mike
The feds are not the registering party. In this capacity, they wold be operating as the registrar.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I did not realize that the AMA can dictate to a club that they can only accept AMA insurance.
That doesn't fit in with the AMA's usual democratic approach to most things that involve a club's ability to
Nothing new, it's always been the case. All members of an AMA chartered club must be an AMA member.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:19 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read that anywhere in the "recommendations". Just one question did this pan out as you thought it would? It ain't written in stone yet but it's getting close.

Mike
Been waiting for ya! Obviously I was joking about the "like...totally". As for the rest of it....well, it's a mixed bag. I do think I said earlier that it wouldn't be to everyone's liking (not a hard guess tough really). I was hoping to see a specific exclusion for fixed wing, but that doesn't look to be in there. The good news though is that I think I was correct in noting that we weren't going to have to register every plane we have. As someone else mentioned, the focus seemed to shift on injuries to pedestrians. I completely glossed over all the Einstein level math, I was getting dizzy. Would have thought that the emphasis was on aircraft collision. Perhaps at the end of the day they didn't see that as big of a thread or concern as was previously noted? Don't know.

At the end of the day, no big seismic shift in the way our hobby will operate from what I can see. No big changes for club functions, or how you or I will continue to fly and do what we've always done, being safe and having fun. As for the AMAs role or participation in this document, can't say at this point. Doesn't look like they discussed who said and who did what. I trust that the organization that has advocated for this hobby for 70 plus years did everything they could to drive the best outcome for us. We'll have to wait to see if and when they issue a press release to explain what went down. And as you note, we're getting closer to seeing the final outcome in the next month or two...but probably no later than Dec.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Maybe the same place you came up with they were only going to register multi rotors. I don't think we (the AMA ) had much of a input either,
I just read read Dave's response to the recommendations. Would have been nice to get that across to the members of the committee. I'm sure it will show up in your mailbox soon but if you can;t wait it's on the AMA site.
This whole thing stinks. Plan B might not have worked either but Plan A never had a chance.

Mike
You make me smile at least once a day. Your comparisons are off of course, apples to kumquats. His comment was nothing even close to mine. C'mon.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Wheter or not legal or ethical, they do mandate that club members have it as a condition of providing insurance to the club and landowner. It can be overridden if a landowning public entity won't allow exclusion of public (those among them that don't belong to AMA), but you can bet the farm that isn't part of the pitch to the landowning entity made to secure use of the property as a model airplane flying site.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:33 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The feds are not the registering party. In this capacity, they wold be operating as the registrar.
One question when it becomes official who will controlling registration of your aircraft.the AMA or the Feds?

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 02:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

One question when it becomes official who will controlling registration of your aircraft.the AMA or the Feds?

Mike
The Feds will have a website portal from which folks will have to register. I don't know if that's what you mean by "control". Nobody is going to be "forced" to do it ultimately if the don't want to. But if they don't and are caught...ouch!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:39 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Been waiting for ya! Obviously I was joking about the "like...totally". As for the rest of it....well, it's a mixed bag. I do think I said earlier that it wouldn't be to everyone's liking (not a hard guess tough really). I was hoping to see a specific exclusion for fixed wing, but that doesn't look to be in there. The good news though is that I think I was correct in noting that we weren't going to have to register every plane we have. As someone else mentioned, the focus seemed to shift on injuries to pedestrians. I completely glossed over all the Einstein level math, I was getting dizzy. Would have thought that the emphasis was on aircraft collision. Perhaps at the end of the day they didn't see that as big of a thread or concern as was previously noted? Don't know.

At the end of the day, no big seismic shift in the way our hobby will operate from what I can see. No big changes for club functions, or how you or I will continue to fly and do what we've always done, being safe and having fun. As for the AMAs role or participation in this document, can't say at this point. Doesn't look like they discussed who said and who did what. I trust that the organization that has advocated for this hobby for 70 plus years did everything they could to drive the best outcome for us. We'll have to wait to see if and when they issue a press release to explain what went down. And as you note, we're getting closer to seeing the final outcome in the next month or two...but probably no later than Dec.
Should be interesting to say the least. Wither it's 1 or 100 that needs to be registered we lost and it just stinks.

Mike. .
Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Wheter or not legal or ethical, they do mandate that club members have it as a condition of providing insurance to the club and landowner. It can be overridden if a landowning public entity won't allow exclusion of public (those among them that don't belong to AMA), but you can bet the farm that isn't part of the pitch to the landowning entity made to secure use of the property as a model airplane flying site.
At first glance this might look like a self serving overstep on the AMA's part, but this policy serves to ensure ALL members that they stand shoulder to shoulder with flyers who have equal insurance.
Since no club has a God given right to belong to the AMA, I don't see why the AMA should not be able to make their own set of rules for clubs and individuals to either "Take it or Leave it".
Freedom of Association works both ways.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM
rcmiket

The Feds will have a website portal from which folks will have to register. I don't know if that's what you mean by "control". Nobody is going to be "forced" to do it ultimately if the don't want to. But if they don't and are caught...ouch!
You have to register your air-frame with the FED's you have no choice. That's called control, pretty simple. Now if I;m at a event and the AMA guy looks in my plane and the Safety Rule paper ain't in it he can't fine me 25 grand can he?

Mike.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Should be interesting to say the least. Wither it's 1 or 100 that needs to be registered we lost and it just stinks.

Mike. .
Wha? How did we lose...because we have to spend 5 minutes logging into a website and registering, then putting a number in a plane? What is the big loss here? Do you think it might have been far worse than what we are seeing here now? It's not everything everyone hoped it would be...but it really ain't that bad, imo. I've asked before we knew mostly what it was going to be and now that we see what will probably be...does this change the hobby for you? Will it change drastically how your club operates, or restrict or hamper you from continuing the enjoy the hobby? It won't for me so far.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

You have to register your air-frame with the FED's you have no choice. That's called control, pretty simple. Now if I;m at a event and the AMA guy looks in my plane and the Safety Rule paper ain't in it he can't fine me 25 grand can he?

Mike.
? I'll have to go over that 18 page form again, I didn't see that it required each of our airframes (or any one) to be registered. If your argument is about govt control, it is what it is. I'm not fired up about that. Got lots of things that have to be registered, I'm more ticked at the taxes I have to pay for the stuff. And gas is STILL over $2.00 a gallon.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike.
I hope so.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Neither. The owner will be the one responsible for registration.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:52 PM
rcmiket

Wha? How did we lose..
A 1/4 of a million ( and counting) bucks "fighting erroneous government regulations" or something close to that.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 PM
rcmiket

The AMA is not and will never be a law enforcement agency.
Starting to look like they are not much of anything anymore are they?

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 PM
F-16 viperman

Nothing new, it's always been the case. All members of an AMA chartered club must be an AMA member.
Does anybody know for sure if now that the AMA will probably only be a insurance provider, Could that be legally considered Anti-trust insurance monopolization? Still looking for an answer
Old 11-23-2015, 02:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

A 1/4 of a million ( and counting) bucks "fighting erroneous government regulations" or something close to that.

Mike
Well that figure is much better than the one million dollars some people like to throw out there. Even if it was 250k, you presume that this money was soley to fight or prevent erreoneous gov regs", and that it was lost. Is it possible for you to look at it in any other way than a loss? Could be be the money spent was not soley for that goal, or even it it was, perhaps this was the best case outcome? There is no guarantee, nor was there, on how this would turn out regardless of the size of the wallet. We could be reading here today that every aircraft we own must be registered, individually, with a per model fee...etc etc etc.

If you want to argue we dind't get our money's worth, fair enough that's your opinion. I don't know how that can be qualified in any way, since what we see here is far from worst case scenario.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

Does anybody know for sure if now that the AMA will probably only be a insurance provider, Could that be legally considered Anti-trust insurance monopolization? Still looking for an answer
Can't really make out that sentence. The AMA has never been, nor do I see it every being an "insurance provider". No would be my answer. Nobody is forcing anyone to join the AMA, it's completely voluntary.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM
rcmiket

Well that figure is much better than the one million dollars some people like to throw out there. Even if it was 250k, you presume that this money was soley to fight or prevent erreoneous gov regs", and that it was lost. Is it possible for you to look at it in any other way than a loss? Could be be the money spent was not soley for that goal, or even it it was, perhaps this was the best case outcome? There is no guarantee, nor was there, on how this would turn out regardless of the size of the wallet. We could be reading here today that every aircraft we own must be registered, individually, with a per model fee...etc etc etc.

If you want to argue we dind't get our money's worth, fair enough that's your opinion. I don't know how that can be qualified in any way, since what we see here is far from worst case scenario.
They actually use the "over a million" I was just being nice.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 03:12 PM
cj_rumley

I doubt it. I think there is a good possibility, but the answer would have to come from a civil court, and the cost of asking the question in that venue is prohibitively high. SFA asked that among other things, and actually got a default judgement after AMA's insurance company decided to cut losses by settling rather than continuing to pay for what was essentially a pissing contest in the courthouse. Ultimately AMA, with a much bigger bankroll, sued them and and they folded under the litigation cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.