Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:14 PM
F-16 viperman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Can't really make out that sentence. The AMA has never been, nor do I see it every being an "insurance provider". No would be my answer. Nobody is forcing anyone to join the AMA, it's completely voluntary.
Still not answering My question. At a AMA field, You have to buy AMA insurance. You can't fly there with any other. The question is that legally considered Anti-trust insurance monopolization? Because after today, if the rcommendations become law, CBO's mean nothing and, AMA will only be chartering fields and, selling insurance. Hope thats clear enough. Still looking for a legal answer. Maybe have to ask a professional legal counsel.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:16 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
Still not answering My question. At a AMA field, You have to buy AMA insurance. You can't fly there with any other. The question is that legally considered Anti-trust insurance monopolization? Because after today, if the rcommendations become law, CBO's mean nothing and, AMA will only be chartering fields and, selling insurance. Hope thats clear enough. Still looking for a legal answer. Maybe have to ask a professional legal counsel.
I think you may be on to something with that.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 03:21 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who said you didn't already? I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Still say the answer is no. You don't technically "buy" insurance through the AMA, and certainly not at a field. Insurance is one of the benefits afforded to members as part of their dues and membership. You don't pick the carrier, or the limits, or the endorsements etc etc. It's something that's built into the membership, which is how I believe it to get around the concept of anti-trust. Also, nothing is stopping another organization from forming and doing their own thing.

My answer is cheap, expect a 2 hour minimum fee for a written opinion, between $600-1000 elsewhere
Old 11-23-2015, 03:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I think you may be on to something with that.

Mike
I'll say this...it's a novel way of accusing them of yet another wrongdoing. Dirt cheap coverage that could never be secured at that price, and still it's a potential problem.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:23 PM
rcmiket

Still say the answer is no. You don't technically "buy" insurance through the AMA, and certainly not at a field. Insurance is one of the benefits afforded to members as part of their dues and membership. You don't pick the carrier, or the limits, or the endorsements etc etc. It's something that's built into the membership, which is how I believe it to get around the concept of anti-trust. Also, nothing is stopping another organization from forming and doing their own thing.

My answer is cheap, expect a 2 hour minimum fee for a written opinion, between $600-1000 elsewhere
Why would clubs require AMA if it were not for the insurance?

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

The AMA does not have fields, except for the IAC. The AMA charters clubs. Clubs, own, lease, or rent fields. The AMA provides insurance to members and field owners. I don't see how that constitutes a monopoly.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:30 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

Default Latest recommendation forwarded to FAA

Here is the latest info from the task force on their recommendations. Looks like anything over 250 grams and under 55 lbs will register for free, and 1 registration covers all the users aircraft. Grab a cup of coffee for this one
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RTFARCFinalReport_11-21-15.pdf (327.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
You're a club secretary right? Read the terms and conditions of your AMA club charter.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Feel free to reach out and ask them. The coverage is certainly a selling point. The cost to defend alone is worth the money, let alone the indemnity payment. There just might be other reasons, what are the chances? Forgot to mention...there are clubs out there that do not require insurance. or AMA

But what's the alternative...whats the sudden interest in "anti -trust" if perhaps just to have another thing to wonder/worry about about. What's the alternative...odd that there is no suggestion of something else. Did someone want to have AMA without insurance...or want another insurance company to provide the coverage.....curious on that.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:39 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
You're a club secretary right? Read the terms and conditions of your AMA club charter.
To be in a AMA chartered club yes you need to be a AMA member to be on the AMA roster. What F-16 Viperman is discussing makes sense. I don't expect you to understand that though it's pretty complicated.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 03:39 PM
F-16 viperman

I get it. Finally I have an answer. And if that's how it legally works, That's pretty slick. Thanks. I owe You a beer. LOL
Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 PM
rcmiket

Feel free to reach out and ask them. The coverage is certainly a selling point. The cost to defend alone is worth the money, let alone the indemnity payment. There just might be other reasons, what are the chances? Forgot to mention...there are clubs out there that do not require insurance. or AMA

But what's the alternative...whats the sudden interest in "anti -trust" if perhaps just to have another thing to wonder/worry about about. What's the alternative...odd that there is no suggestion of something else. Did someone want to have AMA without insurance...or want another insurance company to provide the coverage.....curious on that.
In light of the DOT/FAA deal that's going on everything we know in our hobby just might change in a instant. Only a fool would think any different.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

To be in a AMA chartered club yes you need to be a AMA member to be on the AMA roster. What F-16 Viperman is discussing makes sense. I don't expect you to understand that though it's pretty complicated.

Mike
tsk tsk..weren't you being nice before? I is unable to process complimnacted things,and perhaps a fool.... clearly. LoL
Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

In light of the DOT/FAA deal that's going on everything we know in our hobby just might change in a instant. Only a fool would think any different.

Mike

Sorry dude, nothing will or has changed in an instant....not with big govt involved. You know that, and any fool knows that too. They move at the speed of a snail.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM
rcmiket

tsk tsk..weren't you being nice before? I is unable to process complimnacted things,and perhaps a fool.... clearly. LoL
I'm still being nice just dealing with bacon requires a different approach every now and then.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Is all your RC equipment up for sale yet? I didn't see it in the classifieds.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:24 PM
rcmiket

Is all your RC equipment up for sale yet? I didn't see it in the classifieds.
Why would it be? I'll just stick a slip of paper with little number in my airplane and be done with it, but not till it's written in stone. Well done till the next change comes down the pipe with the AMA looking out for me it might be sooner than later. Maybe they'll think it out before jumping in with both feet next round
. Wonder what ever happened to that survey they sent out about all this drone stuff and never made public? Might not have received the answers they were looking for?
Guess I should be happy I don't have to paint some ugly numbers on some of my scale stuff. I'll take that as a small victory.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Why would it be? I'll just stick a slip of paper with little number in my airplane and be done with it, but not till it's written in stone. Well done till the next change comes down the pipe with the AMA looking out for me it might be sooner than later. Maybe they'll think it out before jumping in with both feet next round
. Wonder what ever happened to that survey they sent out about all this drone stuff and never made public? Might not have received the answers they were looking for?
Guess I should be happy I don't have to paint some ugly numbers on some of my scale stuff. I'll take that as a small victory.

Mike

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 04:39 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Default Dissenting Opinion? Huh?

Just found this in USATODAY.

"The Academy of Model Aeronautics, which represents 180,000 hobbyists nationwide and participated in the task force, wanted to file a dissenting opinion and was prevented from doing so, executive director Dave Mathewson said. Mathewson said factors other than weight should trigger the registration requirement, such as whether it could fly higher than the current 400-foot FAA limit.“Unfortunately the task force recommendations may ultimately prove untenable by requiring the registration of smaller devices that are essentially toys and do not represent safety concerns,” Mathewson said.

"http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/23/faa-gets-recommendations-register-all-drones/76253444/"

Here are my questions.
Why was AMA prevented from filing a dissenting opinion?
Since it can't be filed... could the AMA post the dissent please?
What is preventing AMA from sending a letter to the Administrator?

My understanding is that the report was unanimous. They specifically said no dissents. FAA announced this morning.

Just wondering. Simple questions. Simple answers.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:40 PM
franklin_m

I completely glossed over all the Einstein level math, I was getting dizzy.
I see the use of quantitative calculations, speed of a falling object, terminal velocity vs. mass and relation to injury, probability of failures, etc. as a big step forward. As I've said elsewhere, some of these large and fast aircraft have energy equivalent to a car at neighborhood speeds. Looks like FAA is looking at those equations as well. Might result in some changes to standoff distances, velocity vector management in relation to crowds, etc. All a good thing to make sure we stay out of the headlines.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Wheter or not legal or ethical, they do mandate that club members have it as a condition of providing insurance to the club and landowner. It can be overridden if a landowning public entity won't allow exclusion of public (those among them that don't belong to AMA), but you can bet the farm that isn't part of the pitch to the landowning entity made to secure use of the property as a model airplane flying site.
A model airplane club does not have to be affiliated with the AMA. It would seem that most are though. Only an AMA sanctioned club can dictate AMA rules to it's members.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
A model airplane club does not have to be affiliated with the AMA. It would seem that most are though. Only an AMA sanctioned club can dictate AMA rules to it's members.
Any non-AMA club can agree to follow the AMA rules if they so choose.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
All a good thing to make sure we stay out of the headlines.
LOL!!

We've managed to stay out of the headlines for 80 years WITHOUT all that fancy math!!!! (well, until the advent of drones anyway!).

Astro
Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I see the use of quantitative calculations, speed of a falling object, terminal velocity vs. mass and relation to injury, probability of failures, etc. as a big step forward. As I've said elsewhere, some of these large and fast aircraft have energy equivalent to a car at neighborhood speeds. Looks like FAA is looking at those equations as well. Might result in some changes to standoff distances, velocity vector management in relation to crowds, etc. All a good thing to make sure we stay out of the headlines.
Absolutely...even some of the 6 and 8 S foamies that are geared up now for pylon racing travel at an amazing pace. I was genuinely amazed to see that level of detail and calculation in that document...

I go right into that mode. I wonder if any one of those participating members is going to try to mount a challenge to this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	2132147  
Old 11-23-2015, 06:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The AMA does not have fields, except for the IAC. The AMA charters clubs. Clubs, own, lease, or rent fields. The AMA provides insurance to members and field owners. I don't see how that constitutes a monopoly.
The AMA has a virtual monopoly based on the economics of scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.