Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The recommendations set forth by the task force do not seem to be very restrictive at all. Not a deal-breaker for me at all, just a minor inconvenience.

The part that concerns me is how apparently little consideration was given to the AMA in the process. What happened to CBO status? The AMA was once a powerful lobby and (IMO) was the MAIN reason for being a member (remember the "frequency wars" with the FCC?). AMA insurance is secondary to insurance I already pay for, so that is certainly not a reason for me to be a member. The magazine is not that great, I get more pertinent, up-to-date and relevant information online for virtually nothing. Hmm....what's left?...NOT MUCH!!!

IMO, the damage that has been done to our hobby was done by lumping ALL (except for those under 250g!! LOL) sUAS together, AND that the AMA has seemingly lost the respect it once had in the legislative circles. SAD day, indeed!

I do have to give credit to the AMA for TRYING to file a dissenting opinion, and the subsequent press release stating that the tried, but weren't allowed to! Maybe just a case of too little, too late? If only they had seen this coming!

Since these are just the recommendations set forth by the task force, it will be interesting to see what and how the FAA will actually implement.

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
LOL!!

We've managed to stay out of the headlines for 80 years WITHOUT all that fancy math!!!! (well, until the advent of drones anyway!).

Astro
Maynard Hill has been making headlines for decades. Perhaps more folks should aspire headline making achievements.

http://www.fai.org/download/RECS/2430-4.pdf
Old 11-23-2015, 06:50 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
Not a AMA hater either. been a member almost 50 years. Turbine waiver holder for 13 of those years. Just want to Know where we're all going.

F-16 viperman; Looks like the Funny Farm for starters.
This would be Hilarious if it weren't so stupid. Alas no one has ever accused any Government "Alphabet Agency" of great Wisdom.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:42 PM
F-16 viperman

I think the best hope We have of being left alone now is Michael Huerta. At the senate appropriations subcomittee hearing SD-192, when asked about model aircraft, only He mentioned that model aircraft were exempt from regulation some years ago section 336, and seemed satisfied with that. Two senators did not seem satisfied Montana senator, I can't recall His name, and Feinstein from CA, Check it out for Yourself.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
I think the best hope We have of being left alone now is Michael Huerta. At the senate appropriations subcomittee hearing SD-192, when asked about model aircraft, only He mentioned that model aircraft were exempt from regulation some years ago section 336, and seemed satisfied with that. Two senators did not seem satisfied Montana senator, I can't recall His name, and Feinstein from CA, Check it out for Yourself.
The problem is the Task Force is not recommending anything contrary to #336. What they are recommending is to REGISTER anyone that Flies anything (UAS) in the NAS. It is not recommending the registration of individuals TOY (UAV's).
Old 11-23-2015, 09:34 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think maybe you mean't to say 10%. There isn't even 100% that know these aircraft exist!
I suppose I should say that 100% of Americans who have watched a newscast or read a news paper in the past year know that flying a done in the vicinity of aircraft and airports know that doing so is illegal.

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I did not realize that the AMA can dictate to a club that they can only accept AMA insurance.
That doesn't fit in with the AMA's usual democratic approach to most things that involve a club's ability to
decide for themselves how they want to operate.
Homeowners polices may or may no pay a claim for damages resulting for a model aircraft. These polices differ widely between households, so one must check his or her individual policy to see if they have coverage for model aircraft that are not flown on their property. In light of this fact, the only way an AMA club can be reasonably certain that all their members have coverage for model aircraft incidents is to require all members to have AMA membership.

Originally Posted by porcia83
Wha? How did we lose...because we have to spend 5 minutes logging into a website and registering, then putting a number in a plane? What is the big loss here? Do you think it might have been far worse than what we are seeing here now? It's not everything everyone hoped it would be...but it really ain't that bad, imo. I've asked before we knew mostly what it was going to be and now that we see what will probably be...does this change the hobby for you? Will it change drastically how your club operates, or restrict or hamper you from continuing the enjoy the hobby? It won't for me so far.
Very true; this could have been far, far worse. Many of us (including Yours Truly) were worried that we would have to pay $25 or so, per aircraft initially, and perhaps even an annual renewal fee each year. A few guys in my club would have been out a few hundred dollars by the time they registered all of their airworthy aircraft. Now, we only have to register once, and never again for the rest of our lives. Oh, and it's free. No initial registration fee. No recurring annual renewal fee. No complaints here!

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Just found this in USATODAY.

"The Academy of Model Aeronautics, which represents 180,000 hobbyists nationwide and participated in the task force, wanted to file a dissenting opinion and was prevented from doing so, executive director Dave Mathewson said. Mathewson said factors other than weight should trigger the registration requirement, such as whether it could fly higher than the current 400-foot FAA limit.“Unfortunately the task force recommendations may ultimately prove untenable by requiring the registration of smaller devices that are essentially toys and do not represent safety concerns,” Mathewson said.

"http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/23/faa-gets-recommendations-register-all-drones/76253444/"

Here are my questions.
Why was AMA prevented from filing a dissenting opinion?
Since it can't be filed... could the AMA post the dissent please?
What is preventing AMA from sending a letter to the Administrator?

My understanding is that the report was unanimous. They specifically said no dissents. FAA announced this morning.

Just wondering. Simple questions. Simple answers.
The report dd make some comments about disagreements between task force members. Some of the members apparently wanted to increase the lower weight limit to 1kg or more, instead of 0.25 kg. No names were mentioned, but I am guessing the AMA representative spoke out about this.

We cannot accuse the AMA of doing nothing.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:05 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a law? Does the government even follow the laws already on the books? I don't see the point when they don't follow laws.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 PM
franklin_m

Absolutely...even some of the 6 and 8 S foamies that are geared up now for pylon racing travel at an amazing pace. I was genuinely amazed to see that level of detail and calculation in that document...

I go right into that mode. I wonder if any one of those participating members is going to try to mount a challenge to this.

IMO, I don't know that they can challenge the math, I mean the TE=KE+PE is pretty settled. As for what does/does not cause injury from falling, there's actually lots of data on that from construction industry ( http://www.dropsonline.org/resources...ps-calculator/ ). I suppose you could argue coefficient of drag might be a touch higher, but that doesn't change the basic issue that falling things of a certain weight can likely result in injuries.

Some say we've managed to stay safe for 80 years w/o calculations. Perhaps. But go back even 30 years and there were not so many large fast aircraft. It seems to me (qualitative impression) that in recent years the number large aircraft is increasing. This represents a lot more mass in the air more often, raising the total risk profile - so looking backward may be an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by HighPlains
Is this a law? Does the government even follow the laws already on the books? I don't see the point when they don't follow laws.
That would be.......no. As said many times before,local,state,federal laws exist to punish those doing stupid things with multi-rotors. In typical gubernment fashion this is/will end up as just more "feel-good" legislation and will do nothing much in the way of solving the "problem"........"problem" as they see it. The sheeple will see it as their government protecting them and will feel better and will then move on to address the next "crisis".
Old 11-24-2015, 04:02 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
That would be.......no. As said many times before,local,state,federal laws exist to punish those doing stupid things with multi-rotors. In typical gubernment fashion this is/will end up as just more "feel-good" legislation and will do nothing much in the way of solving the "problem"........"problem" as they see it. The sheeple will see it as their government protecting them and will feel better and will then move on to address the next "crisis".
In a nutshell...yup. Looking forward to the committee on laser pointers!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I you read it cllosely it says that IF THE FAA HAS TO IMPOSE A FEE then it should be $.001, effectively preventing a fee.
The regulations say they have to charge $5 minimum. Probably backed by law. Apparently they don't see it necessary to look up the regulations on registering aircraft. This only makes them look like stupid lap dogs!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

The regulations say they have to charge $5 minimum. Probably backed by law. Apparently they don't see it necessary to look up the regulations on registering aircraft. This only makes them look like stupid lap dogs!
Source?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:04 AM
mike1974

With registration when that foam glider goes off on it's own because the battery went dead and strikes a farmer's cow which goes nuts and tramples the farmer they can trace the glider back to you..
I understand that. The sentence I wrote write before the one you highlighted was " I already have my info on all my aircraft, including my fpv foam glider that I fly non-los". I am an AMA member and have more info on my plane then what "they" supposedly will ask for. So again, what exactly does regestration get them in a case like that?

I can by a shotgun at Walmart, but I have to register a 1/2 lb toy? People are nuts!!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

I am constantly amazed (or amused) at your consistant faluure to read the whol thing. Your question was answered on the very first page.
Did you bother to read (49 U.S.C. § 44101(a))? I am familiar with it and it is wholly an overkill for this. Did you know you cannot register if not a citizen of the US? Or that you have to report transfer of ownership, or perhaps that by referencing 40103 they can only register aircraft that travel though navigable airspace?

Also did you not recall that the 125-95 section 336 says they will not regulate recreational model aircraft?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Is all your RC equipment up for sale yet? I didn't see it in the classifieds.
Better do it soon. It may be illegal to own and operate in a year or so.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974
I understand that. The sentence I wrote write before the one you highlighted was " I already have my info on all my aircraft, including my fpv foam glider that I fly non-los". I am an AMA member and have more info on my plane then what "they" supposedly will ask for. So again, what exactly does regestration get them in a case like that?

I can by a shotgun at Walmart, but I have to register a 1/2 lb toy? People are nuts!!!!
Your shotgun isn't flying over peoples head with the potential to fall and hit them, or better yet get ingested into a spinning turbine. for what it's worth...I had to register the bb gun I bought at my local Walmart.

Registration will do little to curb abuse or decrease injury to people, it's mostly a feel good look we're doing something about this problem quick fix.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 AM
porcia83
Banned

Better do it soon. It may be illegal to own and operate in a year or so.
Most likely next week.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

I suppose I should say that 100% of Americans who have watched a newscast or read a news paper in the past year know that flying a done in the vicinity of aircraft and airports know that doing so is illegal.
Which is probably less that 1% of the population!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 AM
rcmiket

he part that concerns me is how apparently little consideration was given to the AMA in the process. What happened to CBO status? The AMA was once a powerful lobby and (IMO) was the MAIN reason for being a member (remember the "frequency wars" with the FCC?). AMA insurance is secondary to insurance I already pay for, so that is certainly not a reason for me to be a member. The magazine is not that great, I get more pertinent, up-to-date and relevant information online for virtually nothing. Hmm....what's left?...NOT MUCH!!!

IMO, the damage that has been done to our hobby was done by lumping ALL (except for those under 250g!! LOL) sUAS together, AND that the AMA has seemingly lost the respect it once had in the legislative circles. SAD day, indeed!

Since these are just the recommendations set forth by the task force, it will be interesting to see what and how the FAA will actually implement.

Regards,

Astro
That pretty much sums it up. I think many thought the AMA was a "player" in all this but seems that was not the case. Were just little fish playing in a huge pond. Will be interesting to see where the AMA goes from here.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 05:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
That pretty much sums it up. I think many thought the AMA was a "player" in all this but seems that was not the case. Were just little fish playing in a huge pond. Will be interesting to see where the AMA goes from here.

Mike
There were over 25 fishes swimming in the pond. Think any of them got 100% of what they wanted?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:29 AM
mike1974

Your shotgun isn't flying over peoples head with the potential to fall and hit them, or better yet get ingested into a spinning turbine. for what it's worth...I had to register the bb gun I bought at my local Walmart.

Registration will do little to curb abuse or decrease injury to people, it's mostly a feel good look we're doing something about this problem quick fix.
On the highlighted portion I agree 100%!!

My aircraft are not flying over anyones head and I stay away from full scale aircraft. lol

I have yet to hear one logical reason why I should register. Info is on all aircraft.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

source?
far 47-17
Old 11-24-2015, 05:37 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Some say we've managed to stay safe for 80 years w/o calculations. Perhaps. But go back even 30 years and there were not so many large fast aircraft. It seems to me (qualitative impression) that in recent years the number large aircraft is increasing. This represents a lot more mass in the air more often, raising the total risk profile - so looking backward may be an apples to oranges comparison.
Perhaps? That is a fact!

False logic. You continue to believe that GS planes are inherently more dangerous than other craft. I believe I read somewhere that the AMA has admitted that there has been no significant increase in damage claims or injuries that can be attributed to the popularity of GS aircraft.

I would bet that the total mass of foam in the air is far greater than the mass of GS planes at any given time. (at least at my field!)

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mike1974

You have to register the shotgun when you buy it. That doesn't prevent murders though.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Perhaps? That is a fact!

False logic. You continue to believe that GS planes are inherently more dangerous than other craft. I believe I read somewhere that the AMA has admitted that there has been no significant increase in damage claims or injuries that can be attributed to the popularity of GS aircraft.

I would bet that the total mass of foam in the air is far greater than the mass of GS planes at any given time. (at least at my field!)

Regards,

Astro
What the heck is a GS plane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.