Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:34 AM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before the media put all this fear out people would laugh at me for playing with toy helicopters and boats now they are scared by them...
AMAZING!
Old 11-25-2015, 06:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The difference is Texas pays out to the winners. What the heck does the AMA have t do with the lottery in Ill.? Always looking for a argument aren't you.
When I said only a fool would play the lottery it was due to the odds nothing more. Ill. froze payouts over $600.00 due to budget issues. They apparently pissed the money away rather than pay out. Hey wait a minute speaking of pissing away funds

.http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...-over-600.html

Mike
When ever I see someone buying those scratch off or lottery tickets I Thank Them... The look at U quisickly and I say Thanks for paying part of my Property tax. In wiscon a small part of the Lotterys go to Property Tax Relief ... I Know it all a farce but It looks like a gift when it says some credit went toward your taxes.
But yes Lottery odds are so bad, but who said "There's a sucker born every minute".
Old 11-25-2015, 06:54 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by mike1974
Am I reading this correctly? They cannot payout winnings, but are still selling tickets that they cannot pay out on? How exactly is this legal?
That's Illinois for ya Broke and almost Bankrupt but they still keep promoting Every Giveaway possible. Sure glad Wisconsin's got Walker. Not being Political just stating a fact.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:02 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcollector
I guess I'm missing something here. I've been into r/c in one way or another a long time. I Actually prefer boats over other stuff. What I don't understand is that it seems most of the trouble starts when people strap a camera on their model be it fpv or a plain old gopro. That's when some careless pilots fly close to people , planes. wildlife, ladies in bathing suits or just real high. Wouldn't most problems have be solved by requiring large registration numbers displayed on the outside when any model is being flown off of private property or over a certain height for purposes using cameras? The FAA could be sure all registered owners confirmed they understand they need to abide by certain safety rules. It just seems to me the camera is the one thing added causing most trouble? I suppose with this rule the multi rotor industry would feel singled out so for protection and safety in numbers they are hiding among all modelers... Kind of an all or nothing scenario?? Also I know I'm just wasting my breath but that's how this looks to me.I don't post here much anymore but I have been sitting here scratching my head on this one. I think the biggest threat "drones" pose at this time is loss of privacy . After all is said and done you can bet those wanting to spy on us the most will be well protected by law.
I'd worry more about the Government and your Privacy than some 14 year old with a Quad and a GoPro wanting to ketch your 14 year old daughte texting or what ever.
But then the problems aren't really privacy issues, it's the IDIOTs that flies where and when they are not supposed to. PERIOD. But we all (But the FAA/DOT) know this. Nothing new here.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:09 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by 757jonp
My recommendations would have been that the registration number would have been affixed to a sheet of 3/4 in 4x8 birch plywood and secured by a 12 ft logging chain to anything the flies using FPV. Problem solved!
If U believe that FPV in it's self is the problem then U Must believe that it's the GUN that is the problem too, and cars cause car accidents. Just saying Don't blame the inanimate TOY. Put the blame where it belongs. Blame the Idiot. When the HE[[ are people going to realize that they have to take responsibility for their
actions? Probably never.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:18 AM
rcollector

In my area if you call the cops because your house was robbed or your car was broken into. They sometimes will tell you there is not much they will be able to do because they have more serious things to deal with. It is upsetting but somewhat understandable. Going to be interesting to see how interested they will be in investigating every time angry neighbors call on each others toy aircraft.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:24 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
That's Illinois for ya Broke and almost Bankrupt but they still keep promoting Every Giveaway possible. Sure glad Wisconsin's got Walker. Not being Political just stating a fact.
My Brother-in-Law used to work closely with Walker. He was at my sisters wedding. I talked to him for a bit and he seemed like a nice enough guy. My Brother-in-Law was working for him when all the protests were going on. He said it got pretty scary a few times. I don't know much about his politics other than I don't think the unions like him very much. lol.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:28 AM
rcollector

Last edited by rcollector; 11-25-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The difference is Texas pays out to the winners. What the heck does the AMA have t do with the lottery in Ill.? Always looking for a argument aren't you.
When I said only a fool would play the lottery it was due to the odds nothing more. Ill. froze payouts over $600.00 due to budget issues. They apparently pissed the money away rather than pay out. Hey wait a minute speaking of pissing away funds

.http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...-over-600.html

Mike
Had no clue what you were referring when you mentioned IL. Was not aware they are running their state lottery that way. Thought you were referring to AMA.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 AM
mike1974

In my area if you call the cops because your house was robbed or your car was broken into. They sometimes will tell you there is not much they will be able to do because they have more serious things to deal with. It is upsetting but somewhat understandable. Going to be interesting to see how interested they will be in investigating every time angry neighbors call on each others toy aircraft.
Wish I would have been around when some drunk *****hole ripped a hole in our inflatable snowman decoration and made my kids unhappy. No cops would have been neccessary!!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 AM
rcollector

Wish I would have been around when some drunk *****hole ripped a hole in our inflatable snowman decoration and made my kids unhappy. No cops would have been neccessary!!!!
It's usually the same kind of person doing stupid things with their multi rotor or plain old r/c toy . That's part of why we are now all going to be regulated. Unfortunately people like that are protected by law in most cases and if you hurt them you will go to jail.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:49 AM
mike1974

It's usually the same kind of person doing stupid things with their multi rotor or plain old r/c toy . That's part of why we are now all going to be regulated. Unfortunately people like that are protected by law in most cases and if you hurt them you will go to jail.
This is true unfortunately. I wouldn't leave any bruises. lol.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 AM
rcollector

I think what we have here is a group looking for an excuse to enact ever more control so they focus on a very small segment giving them a great excuse to do so
Old 11-25-2015, 08:25 AM
HoundDog

I think what we have here is a group looking for an excuse to enact ever more control so they focus on a very small segment giving them a great excuse to do so
Come on now U don't really think that the FAA ever would exercise CONTROL of some one just because they can ... Not the FAA. But again
The FAA motto is "We aren't happy until your unhappy".
Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 AM
mike1974

Come on now U don't really think that the FAA ever would exercise CONTROL of some one just because they can ... Not the FAA. But again
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this!!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 AM
rcollector

The Fun Police
Old 11-25-2015, 08:42 AM
rcollector

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this!!
That plus the possibility of maybe some form of taxes down the road after we get used to this
Old 11-25-2015, 09:17 AM
HoundDog

That plus the possibility of maybe some form of taxes down the road after we get used to this
Naw,,, Not a government agency like the IRS,DOT,or the FAA It ain't a TAX it's a USER FEE.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:18 AM
mike1974

I am SOOOOOOOOO thankful I live where i live and have private property to fly on! Fun police indeed!
Old 11-25-2015, 10:47 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't understand the attacks on the FAA or DOT. They didn't ask for this, they were told to do it. And they didn't come up with the recommendation either. They have even stated their concern is the safety of other aircraft. And they are very aware the probem lies primarily in the unsafe use of FPV. They made the decision years ago to ignore the requirement that ALL aircraft, models nor not, be registered. They had the position that a registration fee was not needed. They don't even have the budget to enforce any of this. They have bigger problems than registering a toy P-51 - things like blinding pilots who are landing an aircraft with 250 passengers on board and putting them in the hospital and things like jamming GPS signals being used to land a fully loaded aircraft in bad weather. And things like how to deal with a union that cares more about how much money ATCs make than how safe the ATCs are keeping the airspace.
Direct your snide comments at the real source of this problem - those few people who refuse to take other peoples' safety into consideration because it impacts their ability to have fun.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

They didn't ask for this, they were told to do it.
Come on, all of those reports that they requested from the controllers? And when they got them they did not weed out the bad reports, Noooo they submitted it to congress as though every one was a definite violation. Never mind many were legal operations or mistaken identity! Almost none were verified. And who headed up the committee, and what instructions did they receive? Also the report does not say who or whom authored the report. The AMA was disgruntled, who else may also be?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:54 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And if AMA wanted to file a dissenting opinion and was not permitted, then they should have either not voted to support any of the recommendations or dropped out of the task force. But they did neither. They stayed and voted for the report. I'm sure nobody else got all they wanted either, but the AMA is the only one whining about it after the fact. I can't help but think this will further erode their credibility in the eyes of regulators or the rest of the aviation industry.
Is the sort of grownup response you would rather have seen from an organization that purports to represent you?

"New York, November 23, 2015 – DJI, the world leader in drone technology, has concluded its participation on the Federal Aviation Administration Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force. The report of the Task Force was released to the public today.
We share the concerns of many of the 4,700 people who filed comments that this process was initiated in response to sensational headlines rather than data-based risk assessments, and contradicts the provisions of several federal statutes. Nonetheless, we undertook in good faith the assignment, which was not to argue the law, but to use our expertise and knowledge as the world’s largest drone manufacturer to recommend to the Administrator a national drone registration system intended to be minimally burdensome to consumers and professionals, and effective at the stated goals.
The result is a recommended registration system that, if it were to become a legal mandate, reflects weeks of respectful dialog, genuine compromise, and a balancing of interests among the participants. While several aspects of the report might be of concern to one group or another, and remain so to DJI, we believe in the reasonable approach to accountability that is reflected in the package of recommendations sent to the Administrator.
We hope that the work of the Task Force serves as a model for how to develop innovative and practical regulatory solutions to the issues raised by small unmanned aircraft systems. One thing this process has established is that new participants in this industry, working together with traditional stakeholders, can accomplish more, and more quickly, than past approaches. This fast-moving technology demands that we do things in new ways. We hope to have the opportunity to work with the FAA and other agencies again soon."

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/11/4020...on-task-force/
Old 11-25-2015, 02:30 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I don't understand the attacks on the FAA or DOT. They didn't ask for this, they were told to do it.
They were told by congress not to make any laws for Model aircraft how's that working out?

And they didn't come up with the recommendation either. They have even stated their concern is the safety of other aircraft. And they are very aware the probem lies primarily in the unsafe use of FPV. They made the decision years ago to ignore the requirement that ALL aircraft, models nor not, be registered. They had the position that a registration fee was not needed. They don't even have the budget to enforce any of this. They have bigger problems than registering a toy P-51 - things like blinding pilots who are landing an aircraft with 250 passengers on board and putting them in the hospital and things like jamming GPS signals being used to land a fully loaded aircraft in bad weather. And things like how to deal with a union that cares more about how much money ATCs make than how safe the ATCs are keeping the airspace.
Direct your snide comments at the real source of this problem - those few people who refuse to take other peoples' safety into consideration because it impacts their ability to have fun.
Everyone including the FAA/DOT even the Task Force on Registration Know The Problem is People that refuse to obey the FAR's/Laws/Rules/Safety Code. Yet they are going to institute a Worthless useless system of registering every person that attempts to fly anything Radio Controlled or autonomously flown. If FPV is the problem then require those flying FPV to be licensed to do so. Licensing should be done after completion of a course of study on the FAR's/Rules/Laws, pertaining to the use of these TOYs in the NAS. Then Passing a test on the subjects covered in that course of study. Anyone wanting to fly FPV or "NOT" flying at a designated flying site for R/C toys should be required to be licensed. But know the government is going to institute a process they know won't work. Education is the only thing that might have a chance of curtailing this perceived problem if there is even a real problem.

Just today I was at my Local Hobby Shop. There was a gentleman there buying some epoxy and some new props for his R/C pride and joy. I asked where he flew. Answer just down the street in a housing area where the put in the roads gut never built any houses. Well I just checked and that area is 3.5 miles North East from the center of Mesa Gateway airport (KIWA). Registering their families is not going to stop them from flying there if they even know it is going to be a requirement to do register. They are already breaking the FAR's/Rules/Laws flying that close to a Towered airport. With out education Registration of R/C Pilots is useless at best and plain stupid for the most part and the FAA/DOT even the Task Force knows this. Does it matter? Not on your life but it looks like they did something, even that it is Useless.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Is the sort of grownup response you would rather have seen from an organization that purports to represent you?

"New York, November 23, 2015 – DJI, the world leader in drone technology, has concluded its participation on the Federal Aviation Administration Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force. The report of the Task Force was released to the public today.
We share the concerns of many of the 4,700 people who filed comments that this process was initiated in response to sensational headlines rather than data-based risk assessments, and contradicts the provisions of several federal statutes. Nonetheless, we undertook in good faith the assignment, which was not to argue the law, but to use our expertise and knowledge as the world’s largest drone manufacturer to recommend to the Administrator a national drone registration system intended to be minimally burdensome to consumers and professionals, and effective at the stated goals.
The result is a recommended registration system that, if it were to become a legal mandate, reflects weeks of respectful dialog, genuine compromise, and a balancing of interests among the participants. While several aspects of the report might be of concern to one group or another, and remain so to DJI, we believe in the reasonable approach to accountability that is reflected in the package of recommendations sent to the Administrator.
We hope that the work of the Task Force serves as a model for how to develop innovative and practical regulatory solutions to the issues raised by small unmanned aircraft systems. One thing this process has established is that new participants in this industry, working together with traditional stakeholders, can accomplish more, and more quickly, than past approaches. This fast-moving technology demands that we do things in new ways. We hope to have the opportunity to work with the FAA and other agencies again soon."

I read the response and my first thought was, that has Brendan Schulman written all over it. Certainly a well written and politically correct response.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by porcia83
I read the response and my first thought was, that has Brendan Schulman written all over it. Certainly a well written and politically correct response.
Last I heard he's full time counsel for DJI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.