Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Excellent business plan. Hire a PR firm and don't use them. Then you wonder why I'm not happy with "the management"

Mike
I bought a generator for my house last year given the amount of power outages we had with the weather. I paid for it, and use it when I need it. I don't whine when it's not being used, but I know it's there when I need it. It's a strategy. It's used when it's needed. Draw the same conclusion with regards to the AMA and the vendors they use.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:50 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ask you new VP...see how responsive he is.
Actually as soon as he is in place I will along with commenting on a number of other things. How about you just going to sit and stay silent?

Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 07:54 AM
rcmiket

I bought a generator for my house last year given the amount of power outages we had with the weather. I paid for it, and use it when I need it. I don't whine when it's not being used, but I know it's there when I need it. It's a strategy. It's used when it's needed. Draw the same conclusion with regards to the AMA and the vendors they use.
and how this is relevant to our discussion? Were our dues somehow funneled into your generator?

Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 08:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Actually as soon as he is in place I will along with commenting on a number of other things. How about you just going to sit and stay silent?

Mike

I would have thought you would have gone there much earlier, what's been the hold up?

You seem to miss the point that I'm not the one constantly complaining about everything they do. When I do have issues or concerns, I make my feelings known in the way I feel will be most meaningful. That survey that was sent out was one of them. If I don't know something, I ask people who I think will have the answer. You've wondered several times what was going on the with survey. Did you bother to ask anyone about it, or did you think that asking about it here over and over was going to produce results? I wrote the guy who send the survey, and although it took some time to get a response, I finally did. One simple e-mail.

But...I'm far from silent, I'm in constant touch with the AVPs in my district as well as the VP. I also talk to folks in my club, as well as those in my state and neighboring states when I go to flyins. Even got to meet some of the EC folks at a few flyins and was able to talk with them. You'd be surprised how accessible they are, and how easy it is to talk with them.

But why wait to contact the new guy, and did you ever contact the other one to find out what was going on. Better yet, how about your AVPs......there are 10 of them in Texas, ever talk to any of them about this or other issues. That's what they are there for.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:09 AM
porcia83
Banned

and how this is relevant to our discussion? Were our dues somehow funneled into your generator?

Mike
For someone who claimed to be taking the day off, you sure want to argue. If you missed the point of the comparison the first time, you're going to miss it again even if I have to explain it.

It's almost time to knock off. No joke, all this talk of bacon the past week or so got me thinking about one of my favorite apps. I've got two slabs of pork belly roasting away right now. I'll be scoring the tops in a few, then torching the top for that fantastic crispy texture. Picked up some mini slider buns with sesame seeds, will butter and grill those. On will go a portion of glazed pork belly, a carror/cuke/scallion slaw on top, and then down the hatch. Recipe can be provided if needed. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and yours, and everyone else.

I consider myself thankful to have this hobby to even complain about, as well this forum, and even the contrary opinions. As bad as things can get, it's a great thing to have the ability to be worried about this stuff.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:33 AM
rcmiket

I would have thought you would have gone there much earlier, what's been the hold up?

You seem to miss the point that I'm not the one constantly complaining about everything they do. When I do have issues or concerns, I make my feelings known in the way I feel will be most meaningful. That survey that was sent out was one of them. If I don't know something, I ask people who I think will have the answer. You've wondered several times what was going on the with survey. Did you bother to ask anyone about it, or did you think that asking about it here over and over was going to produce results? I wrote the guy who send the survey, and although it took some time to get a response, I finally did. One simple e-mail.

But...I'm far from silent, I'm in constant touch with the AVPs in my district as well as the VP. I also talk to folks in my club, as well as those in my state and neighboring states when I go to flyins. Even got to meet some of the EC folks at a few flyins and was able to talk with them. You'd be surprised how accessible they are, and how easy it is to talk with them.

But why wait to contact the new guy, and did you ever contact the other one to find out what was going on. Better yet, how about your AVPs......there are 10 of them in Texas, ever talk to any of them about this or other issues. That's what they are there for.
I'm content waiting for Harville to take office. Besides why bother Mark as he's a lame duck? AVP's why bother I'd rather go right to the top.

For someone who claimed to be taking the day off, you sure want to argue. If you missed the point of the comparison the first time, you're going to miss it again even if I have to explain it.

It's almost time to knock off. No joke, all this talk of bacon the past week or so got me thinking about one of my favorite apps. I've got two slabs of pork belly roasting away right now. I'll be scoring the tops in a few, then torching the top for that fantastic crispy texture. Picked up some mini slider buns with sesame seeds, will butter and grill those. On will go a portion of glazed pork belly, a carror/cuke/scallion slaw on top, and then down the hatch. Recipe can be provided if needed. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and yours, and everyone else.

I consider myself thankful to have this hobby to even complain about, as well this forum, and even the contrary opinions. As bad as things can get, it's a great thing to have the ability to be worried about this stuff.
As far as your comparison I see no connection to my original statement.

Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 08:35 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

All right every buddy Let's all cool our jets let's just CHILL and give thanks because the AMA/DOT/FAA have our best interests at hart. Now go stuff your self and then let's all take a nap till it's time for left overs ... Happy Turkey day and hoppy Holidays with a Merry Cristmas and Happy New Year to all. OH I hope U all get DRONES for Xmas.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
All right every buddy Let's all cool our jets let's just CHILL and give thanks because the AMA/DOT/FAA have our best interests at hart. Now go stuff your self and then let's all take a nap till it's time for left overs ... Happy Turkey day and hoppy Holidays with a Merry Cristmas and Happy New Year to all. OH I hope U all get DRONES for Xmas.
My gift to you buddy......

Won't get final "build" on this for another hour or so...

Sorry Crispy...somewhere a relative wails!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mmm.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	4.90 MB
ID:	2132629   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmmmmmm.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	2132630  

Last edited by porcia83; 11-26-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm content waiting for Harville to take office. Besides why bother Mark as he's a lame duck? AVP's why bother I'd rather go right to the top.

I get the thought, just that there are 10 AVPs and one VP, sometimes they can be more accessible, and can deliver the same message to the VP...strength in numbers and all. The "lame duck" still has job responsibilities.

As far as your comparison I see no connection to my original statement.

The example was merely to note that my generator is there when I need it, but isn't used all the time. Same might be said of the PR firm, that's all.

Mike
Above in blue.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Yes. It's much more professional. I just don't get why AMA made such a public spectacle about not being able to file a dissenting opinion. It gains them nothing and just looks bad in my opinion.
I see one more indicator that the drone community has the leadership they need to advocate for themselves, sans any want for a CBO.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Between the two big drone manf, they have far more money to spend than the AMA does, and as such potential additional political clout. Doesn't mean there isn't a place in the AMA for some users, or for advocacy and their behalf.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Wow. Too much tryptophan for some here today.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 11-26-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:45 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Like they did in the good old days right? It's not 1950 anymore. In general PR firms don't actually deliver the message, they help the organization in crafting the message, and ensuring the message is heard.

Regardless, perhaps the AMA can save the money on the PR firm and come here to get all the solutions to the problems. Usually a great plethora of ideas and suggestions, unfortunately it's always after the fact.
Those who do not believe $1MM is a lot of money to spend on delivering a simple message in a public forum would also believe that having a PR firm in tow is SOP.
Not surprising.
What year this is has no bearing on the points I am trying to make, but perhaps I should hire a PR firm to manipulate my plain and simple messages to heighten their persuasive effect on you...?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 PM
franklin_m

You can't be that naive can you be? A novel idea? more like a recipe for disaster. Talk about gridlock. Absolute insanity, and ironically would probably lead to more problems that you would no doubt complain about. The leaders have not been elected so that they then have to turn around and poll the membership every time they want to do something. They are well aware of what's going on with the membership, they have AVP, and VPs who share that information with them. How to the AVP and VPs know...well, people talk with them. And write them. Since you brought up the example of the AMA being run like a business, does the company you work for currently poll the employees to ask about continued operations? Think the powers that be at Walmart or Target or say, GM, ask their associates? When you were active duty, did your CO usually send out feelers on future operations?
Business don't make operational decisions based on surveys, but the one I work for does survey regularly with respect to decisions about a variety of events where the employees are major stakeholders. They also run regular surveys about employee satisfaction with the HQ services, responsiveness, communications, policies, etc. It takes courage to do that, ask the folks who are the front lines if they feel like their interests are represented at HQ. As a consultant, my client (global fortune 100 company) also does surveys of it's employees with respect to proposed changes in benefits, desires for improvements in working conditions, or desires for enhanced living facilities, food choices, recreation choices (large part of workforce is at remote sites where they live for two weeks at a time). Saying that doing surveys is "too hard" is the excuse used when folks harbor a deep concern that they might hear things they don't want to hear.

You asked about what I did on active duty. No, we don't make operational decisions based on surveys, operational decisions are based on the objectives established for the military by the civilian leadership. Those specific objectives result in specific tasks and implied tasks, and that trickles down to front line operational objectives such as training readiness rates, budgets, sortie rates, etc.

But where we did run surveys, quite often in fact, was to survey our staff (military, civilians, and contractors) on issues with respect to command climate, bias, quality of services, communication, etc. In addition to that, once quarterly we met with E3 and below, E4 to E6, and E7 and above in what are called "Captain's calls" where the leader gets to receive input directly from the front lines, unfiltered. That's effective in making sure that issues are not being slow rolled or de-emphasised by middle management. So yes, we did survey on some issues and did the equivalent of surveys, direct communication, as well.

Relying on a relatively small number of AVPs, VPs, and the occasional conversation all but guarantees that issues are not being forwarded (in some cases) or that leadership is getting a very narrow "soda straw" view of the organizations' membership.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-26-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 PM
franklin_m

You automatically presume the PR firm had a part in the release, yet there is nothing to indicate they did. Hiring a PR firm doesn't mean they have a say in everything that happens, every release issued etc.
Ok, so you're a national organization ... one that's engaged in an issue that has been widely reported in national media, a regulatory issue with a federal agency, and that same federal agency is one you're suing in Federal court. So with all this in mind, you've decided to put together a news release for national media on this issue and you decide NOT to run it through the PR firm you're paying to help you with PR issues?

I didn't think their decision making could get worse, but you certainly painted a scenario where I'd have to concede it did.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-26-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:02 PM
bob4432

The 400' ceiling has been in effect for a long time. Growing up as a kid some 35yrs ago, 400' was the ceiling then to.

Wall Street Journal ran a similar article which contained a quote from Hanson. Is it just me or are we seeing more comments about no flying above 400 feet? For example: "...including that the devices generally can’t fly above 400 feet or near airports."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/drone-ow...ces-1445041576
Old 11-27-2015, 01:31 AM
DaleJEckart
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by cessnaflyer54
The difference between aircraft and a drone is.....anybody can fly a drone. These new drones, a five year old can fly one. Not everyone can fly a plane. How long did your first plane last before you learned how to fly, seconds.
Anyone can fly a drone, indeed... if government officials can, anyone can...
Old 11-27-2015, 03:21 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by DaleJEckart
Anyone can fly a drone, indeed... if government officials can, anyone can...
That really depends on your definition of a drone.

If you mean GPS equipped multi-copters with auto hover and self level then I agree with you 100%. They are very easy to fly, almost boring.

But not all multirotors fit into that category. Try flying a high performance aerobatic quad. These require the same skill as it takes to fly a CP Helicopter and fixed wing RC is easy by comparison.

Are we calling these drones also?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW5tAytVoj0

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-27-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

Business don't make operational decisions based on surveys, but the one I work for does survey regularly with respect to decisions about a variety of events where the employees are major stakeholders. They also run regular surveys about employee satisfaction with the HQ services, responsiveness, communications, policies, etc. It takes courage to do that, ask the folks who are the front lines if they feel like their interests are represented at HQ. As a consultant, my client (global fortune 100 company) also does surveys of it's employees with respect to proposed changes in benefits, desires for improvements in working conditions, or desires for enhanced living facilities, food choices, recreation choices (large part of workforce is at remote sites where they live for two weeks at a time). Saying that doing surveys is "too hard" is the excuse used when folks harbor a deep concern that they might hear things they don't want to hear.

You asked about what I did on active duty. No, we don't make operational decisions based on surveys, operational decisions are based on the objectives established for the military by the civilian leadership. Those specific objectives result in specific tasks and implied tasks, and that trickles down to front line operational objectives such as training readiness rates, budgets, sortie rates, etc.

But where we did run surveys, quite often in fact, was to survey our staff (military, civilians, and contractors) on issues with respect to command climate, bias, quality of services, communication, etc. In addition to that, once quarterly we met with E3 and below, E4 to E6, and E7 and above in what are called "Captain's calls" where the leader gets to receive input directly from the front lines, unfiltered. That's effective in making sure that issues are not being slow rolled or de-emphasised by middle management. So yes, we did survey on some issues and did the equivalent of surveys, direct communication, as well.

Relying on a relatively small number of AVPs, VPs, and the occasional conversation all but guarantees that issues are not being forwarded (in some cases) or that leadership is getting a very narrow "soda straw" view of the organizations' membership.
So ya, some companies run customer service polls, and sure, it's great when they ask employees if they want chicken patty sandwiches on Fridays in the cafeteria instead of pizza. Bravo, they are still not asking them for advice on how to move forward on issues before making decisions. They are put in positions of leadership to lead, not poll the membership. I can't think of a more ineffective way for any group to operate. If the membership doesn't have confidence in their leadership, they can vote them out, it's as simple as that. The folks who have real ideas, real solutions, real people skills can step up and run for office, and in some cases win. Then they get the make the choices. The nonstop droning from the monday morning quarterbacks never has, and never will make a bit of difference.

I'm confident the leadership is aware of what is going on in the hobby, and the membership. They don't need a survey for a pulse check to cover everything (although hey, they did send as survey out that long ago. Remember the one where some people didn't get it and immediately went into conspiracy mode). There are plenty of AVPs out there (10 in the state of TX alone, amazing...as well as Leader members, and VPs who are wired right into the membership. And yes, the folks on the EC travel a lot and speak to members all the time.

Ok, so you're a national organization ... one that's engaged in an issue that has been widely reported in national media, a regulatory issue with a federal agency, and that same federal agency is one you're suing in Federal court. So with all this in mind, you've decided to put together a news release for national media on this issue and you decide NOT to run it through the PR firm you're paying to help you with PR issues?

I didn't think their decision making could get worse, but you certainly painted a scenario where I'd have to concede it did.
Go figure, another chance to point out what you feel is an error on their part. Shocker. If I had to guess I'd say there is little chance you have ever dealt with a PR firm and understand what they can do, and how an organization can chose to use them. Or of course you have, and would have run the AMA's campaign perfectly.

Are you ever going to try to do something more meaningful and involved with the AMA or will you just continue to take pot shots from the sidelines, letting some past perceived injustices fuel the bitterness? Granted I know it's much harder to actually do something then complain and criticize it after the fact, it's just that you always seem to have the answer for how something should have worked. RcMike gave his reasons for not getting more involved, one of those being involved in his clubs EC. Whats holding you back?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
That really depends on your definition of a drone.

If you mean GPS equipped multi-copters with auto hover and self level then I agree with you 100%. They are very easy to fly, almost boring.

But not all multirotors fit into that category. Try flying a high performance aerobatic quad. These require the same skill as it takes to fly a CP Helicopter and fixed wing RC is easy by comparison.

Are we calling these drones also?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW5tAytVoj0
Amazing stuff right there.....wow that is fast.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:16 AM
rcmiket

Above in blue.
It makes absolutely no sense to have a PR firm on the payroll and not use them considering just what going on.. Now if they did not use them then maybe we actually do have the wrong people making decisions for us, don't we?

Mike
Old 11-27-2015, 05:28 AM
franklin_m

Are you ever going to try to do something more meaningful and involved with the AMA or will you just continue to take pot shots from the sidelines, letting some past perceived injustices fuel the bitterness? Granted I know it's much harder to actually do something then complain and criticize it after the fact, it's just that you always seem to have the answer for how something should have worked. RcMike gave his reasons for not getting more involved, one of those being involved in his clubs EC. Whats holding you back?
I spend my time helping large complex organizations get better at operations, leadership, business processes, safety performance, profit, or really just about anything they want to improve. But the difference is the client recognizes they need help. When my time commands several thousand dollars a day plus expenses, I don't waste my time trying to help an organization that is unwilling to admit they need help.

At such time that the AMA indicates they want help, I'm more than happy to help them. But last I've heard, they think they're doing a great job!

P.S. As for never using a PR firm...actually I had professional public affairs folks working for me in several positions. Not a single public release was made that didn't go through them first. I suppose that's the difference between how a professional organization handles public media and the way amateurs do it.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:32 AM
franklin_m

It makes absolutely no sense to have a PR firm on the payroll and not use them considering just what going on.. Now if they did not use them then maybe we actually do have the wrong people making decisions for us, don't we?

Mike

It's amazing how some just can't admit that paying a firm and not using them is, at a minimum, a waste of money! On the other hand, if they did run that release through the PR firm first, then they need to fire them.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:41 AM
rcmiket

It's amazing how some just can't admit that paying a firm and not using them is, at a minimum, a waste of money! On the other hand, if they did run that release through the PR firm first, then they need to fire them.
Honestly nothing amazes me anymore. Every time I think I've heard it all, regardless how ridiculous up pops more.
We do have a new SIG though

.http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/med...nterest-group/

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-27-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:42 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by bob4432
The 400' ceiling has been in effect for a long time. Growing up as a kid some 35yrs ago, 400' was the ceiling then to.
U are revering to AC 91-57 Which is just what the AC stands for Adversity not mandatory like an FAR is. but the FAA has changed it to AC 91-57A

AC 91-57 (Cancelled) - Model Aircraft Operating Standards

Document Information

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...ular/91-57.pdf
AC 91-57A - Model Aircraft Operating Standards

Replaces the AC 91-57
Date IssuedSeptember 02, 2015Responsible OfficeAJV-115, Emerging Technologies TeamDescription
This advisory circular (AC) provides guidance to persons operating UnmannedAircraft (UA) for hobby or recreation purposes meeting the statutory definition of "model aircraft" contained in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. This AC describes means by which model aircraft may be operated safely in the National Airspace System (NAS). Nothing in this AC changes the requirement to comply with the statute or any applicable regulations.
  • AC 91-57A (PDF, 220 KB) <--- AC 91-57 revised to A

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-27-2015 at 05:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.