Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not relevant , since none of the present day rulemaking can be directly attributed to Mr. Hill's flight ...

Nice try , though !
Not relevant at all, but I knew he was going to post that reference sooner or later.
The only thing we could have bet on would have been if he was going to post it BEFORE or AFTER Thanksgiving.
LOL.

Last edited by combatpigg; 11-28-2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: gave Thanksgiving a bigger T
Old 11-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4432

IMHO the "bad guys" are the companies like DJI who make it to way too easy to fly whatever aircraft. Also places like Amazon who want to use it as delivery and corporatize the drone - the will have the $$/lobbyist to make it good for them while hobbyist just getsbent over.
I have been in this hobby for 36 years, I fly planes, helicopters and now drones and have dozens of each. I enjoy each type for what it is and the differences add variety to the hobby.

I don't break rules and fly safely within the CASA model aircraft guidelines at all times.

The real problem here is not the drones or the responsible flyers, whatever they fly. The problem is those who fly with no regard for anyone else or the consequences.

When companies like DJI make drones easy enough for any fool to fly they will.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-28-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-28-2015, 04:25 PM
jatoRC

I ride motorcycles and that is a dumb statement. The states or the feds don't treat one type of motorcycle differently than another. They treat a cruiser the same as a crotch rocket, a Harley the same as a Honda and trike the same as any 2 wheeler. It should be the same for RC aircraft. I guess you think anybody who rides a Harley is a Hell's Angel?
Old 11-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jatoRC
I ride motorcycles and that is a dumb statement. The states or the feds don't treat one type of motorcycle differently than another. They treat a cruiser the same as a crotch rocket, a Harley the same as a Honda and trike the same as any 2 wheeler. It should be the same for RC aircraft. I guess you think anybody who rides a Harley is a Hell's Angel?
Anybody who rides a Harley is a " Wanna Be Hell's Angel ".
LOL
Agree with what you are stating 100%. Had my share of different manufactured motorcycles and presently own a Yamaha. Had my share of Harleys and will most likely own one again. Son In Law just purchased a new BMW and neighbor has a Ducati. Have yet to find a law for each and every different make and model motorcycle.

Willing to take any bet that their are more motorcycles being operated on the road than their are model airplanes in the air at any one time !
Old 11-28-2015, 06:17 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Another 1000 word, rambling post that only serves to show how silly your campaign is to discourage those who disagree with you from chiming in here.
Now you're counting the words....I love it. You are hooked, you know it.

But alas, there you go again...more spin and deflection. The answer I guess is you do nothing to promote or help the hobby, and if I had to guess you haven't been to a flying field in a long time, nor have you taken the time to discuss any issues with the AMA. But hey, 19,250 posts and climbing! It's almost as amazing as finding out Franklin so completely failed at filing a simple form with the AMA, but then does nothing but vilify the organization.

I welcome opposing viewpoints, I've never once tried to stop or discourage anyone from talking in this thread or others. It's you and a select few that are viscerally annoyed when their generalizations and half truths are questioned, or opposing thoughts presented. In fact, it's you and a few others that have continued to resort to personal attacks and name calling. Believe me I get it, one should go along to get along, castigate the AMA otherwise we're cheerleaders. I'll pass on that strategy.

Still willing to share some thoughts with you on promoting your club or your hobby if you want to shoot me a PM. I can put you in touch with your local AMA folks too (although that information is available in the AMA mag every month).
Old 11-28-2015, 06:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
You have to admit that's funny.
Mike
It's an absolute rib tickler, full on chortle inducing guffaw machine.

But it does bring up a good question...lets say for arguments sake that there is a glee club, namely those that refuse to be completely negative and jump on the persistent criticism of the AMA bandwagon. What would the name of the club be for those folks that do noting but criticize the AMA's every move, at every chance, always after the fact. Probably don't do anything to make their voices heard, chip in and help, and are unable to follow simple instructions, etc etc. What would that club be called?

Last edited by porcia83; 11-28-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Anybody who rides a Harley is a " Wanna Be Hell's Angel ".
LOL
Agree with what you are stating 100%. Had my share of different manufactured motorcycles and presently own a Yamaha. Had my share of Harleys and will most likely own one again. Son In Law just purchased a new BMW and neighbor has a Ducati. Have yet to find a law for each and every different make and model motorcycle.

Willing to take any bet that their are more motorcycles being operated on the road than their are model airplanes in the air at any one time !
Don't forget Moto Guzzi, zoom zoom.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not relevant , since none of the present day rulemaking can be directly attributed to Mr. Hill's flight ...

Nice try , though !
So how can you prove it's not? Present rule making defines model aviation operations as within VLOS and 400ft AGL . Mr. Hill flew beyond VLOS and over 400ft AGL on his historic accomplishment. If someone re-enacted his historic flight today they would need a 333 exception.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 11-28-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
My gift to you buddy......

Won't get final "build" on this for another hour or so...

Sorry Crispy...somewhere a relative wails!
Ouch, looks like I got grilled. Does look delish though.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Not quite sure who your talkin to , but the mention of folks who ride motorcycles had exactly nothing to do with brand of machine , and everything to do with who follows laws , who don't , and what the law abiding think of those who don't . If you wanna drag all kinds of Harley VS Japanese nonsense into the thread well feel free , but really it hasn't much to do with the discussion at hand ..

Signed , one law abiding former motorcyclist who don't like lawbreakers on bikes or who fly drones .

Thanks for playing ....
Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM
jatoRC

My post was in response to a post that the poster edited to remove their motorcycle rreference, but my post has everything to do with the conversation without the reference post. All motorcycles are treated the same regardless of their make, model or number of wheels. Some of them are easier to ride than others. So should Cam-Am be vilified because it is easier to ride than a 2 wheeler like some here are vilifying DJI?

I don't care if an RC aircraft has fixed wings, 2 rotors, 4 rotors or 8, they should all be treated the same, period.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

My post was in response to a post that the poster edited to remove their motorcycle rreference, but my post has everything to do with the conversation without the reference post. All motorcycles are treated the same regardless of their make, model or number of wheels. Some of them are easier to ride than others. So should Cam-Am be vilified because it is easier to ride than a 2 wheeler like some here are vilifying DJI?

I don't care if an RC aircraft has fixed wings, 2 rotors, 4 rotors or 8, they should all be treated the same, period.
Quads are/will be treated just as any other R/C Toys. That is If the DOT/FAA adopts the recommendations of the Registration Task Force Then it will be the pilots of any R/C Toy that violates the FAR's Rules or CBO Safety code will when caught tried and if/When found guilty then they will be fined/imprisoned according to the law. I believe that all R/C toys should have to display the Pilots registration number on the craft at all times they are flown at anyplace but a Registered/designated R/C flying site. The registration should be inside the craft at all times when being flown. JMHO
Old 11-28-2015, 08:59 PM
cj_rumley

I agree with you, with strings attached - that being they are operated in similar environments. IMHO, what separates traditional modeling from drone operations is not a matter of of the configuration/technology of the aircraft, but where and how it is flown. I'm good with multi-rotors flying at AMA fields and similar ad hoc areas where the flyover area is scoped out to exclude flying over people and their things, IOW, the aircraft has a safe place to crash when something fails, and it is actively confined to that area by being flown with eyes on the aircraft throughout the flight. Despite the pervasive denial, most model aircraft eventually crash, and for traditional model operation that has set an enviable safety record; where they are flown is the key factor. I'm sure FPV flying is a great experience, and I have experienced that secondhand as a spotter for folks operating them and view that as an adjunct to the primary disciplinary measure of keeping them within an area where they can crash without harm to anyone or anything other than the aircraft itself. That is what AMA rules currently allow for multi-rotors and FPV, fits within operations they are are familiar with, and I'm okay with that.

What I don't agree with is that drone operations where they are flown over areas that may contain unprotected and non-participating people and things and/or flown beyond visual line-of-sight should be included/confused with/embraced as modeling operations as we and AMA have known them. I'm not against them, but recognize that their operations face growing and learning pains including regulatory hoops, and don't see it as fair to have our traditional modeling operations be lumped in with them in the court of public opinion and/or government regulatiory process. AMA has no relevant experience in their very different operating environment to provide leadership and advocate on their behalf. If organization is needed, they should have their own, and not be subjected to rules/restrictions that AMA thinks is what is good for them. Neither traditional modelers nor drone operators will benefit from that.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

DRONES ARE Super TOOLS, and nothing more. I wish the AMA would see it that way.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:11 PM
combatpigg

Now you're counting the words....I love it. You are hooked, you know it.

But alas, there you go again...more spin and deflection. The answer I guess is you do nothing to promote or help the hobby, and if I had to guess you haven't been to a flying field in a long time, nor have you taken the time to discuss any issues with the AMA. But hey, 19,250 posts and climbing! It's almost as amazing as finding out Franklin so completely failed at filing a simple form with the AMA, but then does nothing but vilify the organization.

I welcome opposing viewpoints, I've never once tried to stop or discourage anyone from talking in this thread or others. It's you and a select few that are viscerally annoyed when their generalizations and half truths are questioned, or opposing thoughts presented. In fact, it's you and a few others that have continued to resort to personal attacks and name calling. Believe me I get it, one should go along to get along, castigate the AMA otherwise we're cheerleaders. I'll pass on that strategy.

Still willing to share some thoughts with you on promoting your club or your hobby if you want to shoot me a PM. I can put you in touch with your local AMA folks too (although that information is available in the AMA mag every month).
Now he thinks he's my toy airplane hobby mentor...too funny.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:48 PM
combatpigg

But it does bring up a good question...lets say for arguments sake that there is a glee club, namely those that refuse to be completely negative and jump on the persistent criticism of the AMA bandwagon. What would the name of the club be for those folks that do noting but criticize the AMA's every move, at every chance, always after the fact. Probably don't do anything to make their voices heard, chip in and help, and are unable to follow simple instructions, etc etc. What would that club be called?
Umm let's see now..
ALWAYS critical of EVERY move...[teenagers commonly blame their parents of this].
Always critical AFTER the fact......[pretty hard to be critical BEFORE the fact].
but don't know how to be heard....[this is beneath comment].
Unable to follow simple instructions....[more hyperbolic dysentery].
Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Lazer
DRONE FLYERS ARE Super TOOLS, and nothing more. I wish the AMA would see it that way.
There, fixed it for ya.....
Old 11-29-2015, 04:30 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
So how can you prove it's not? Present rule making defines model aviation operations as within VLOS and 400ft AGL . Mr. Hill flew beyond VLOS and over 400ft AGL on his historic accomplishment. If someone re-enacted his historic flight today they would need a 333 exception.
actually, no
unless canada has suddenly adopted our FAA as their enforcement body, or as the landing point, ireland has some new regulations we do not know about.
none of the record making flight used US airspace.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
actually, no
unless canada has suddenly adopted our FAA as their enforcement body, or as the landing point, ireland has some new regulations we do not know about.
none of the record making flight used US airspace.
True, he didn't use our NAS. However, Canada now has their own requirements.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...ards-4179.html
Old 11-29-2015, 05:38 AM
rcmiket

I ( among others) have really only one issue with the AMA. It all started when they got in bed with the "droners" and decided to go all in with them. Since then I've seen no reason to be happy with that move and it's been one thing after another during this mess. So I don't thing it's fair to say we criticize there "every move".

Mike
Old 11-29-2015, 05:51 AM
jatoRC

The more RC aircraft people that criticize the AMA for supporting drones makes me like the AMA even more,
Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I ( among others) have really only one issue with the AMA. It all started when they got in bed with the "droners" and decided to go all in with them. Since then I've seen no reason to be happy with that move and it's been one thing after another during this mess. So I don't thing it's fair to say we criticize there "every move".

Mike
I didn't single you out specifically, but I have yet to see anything even remotely positive that you have written about the AMA, or anything they have done. Franklin has stepped up his nonstop barrage of criticisms, again after the fact, as well. No objectivity whatsoever, his commentary made all the more bizarre (and telling), when he admitted he failed to follow proper protocol in asking the AMA for help. The guy that goes on nonstop about his military career, and how many thousands of dollars a day he charges to help companies, all the rules and regs and protocols he works with, and it turns out he couldn't fill a simple form out. Absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they need to be, or should be glorified for everything they do, there isn't one person here who has done that.

But again, I notice you didn't answer the question. Since the name callers here made a funny, and you got a great laugh out of it, what would be the equivalent to label those folks who do nothing but criticize and second guess the AMA, never have a single positive thing to say about them, and also are not involved with them in any meaningful way. Gloom Club? Doom and Gloomers? Debbie Downers? Do as I say not as I doers?

Not so easy to have some self awareness and attach a label to oneself is it?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I agree with you, with strings attached - that being they are operated in similar environments. IMHO, what separates traditional modeling from drone operations is not a matter of of the configuration/technology of the aircraft, but where and how it is flown. I'm good with multi-rotors flying at AMA fields and similar ad hoc areas where the flyover area is scoped out to exclude flying over people and their things, IOW, the aircraft has a safe place to crash when something fails, and it is actively confined to that area by being flown with eyes on the aircraft throughout the flight. Despite the pervasive denial, most model aircraft eventually crash, and for traditional model operation that has set an enviable safety record; where they are flown is the key factor. I'm sure FPV flying is a great experience, and I have experienced that secondhand as a spotter for folks operating them and view that as an adjunct to the primary disciplinary measure of keeping them within an area where they can crash without harm to anyone or anything other than the aircraft itself. That is what AMA rules currently allow for multi-rotors and FPV, fits within operations they are are familiar with, and I'm okay with that.

What I don't agree with is that drone operations where they are flown over areas that may contain unprotected and non-participating people and things and/or flown beyond visual line-of-sight should be included/confused with/embraced as modeling operations as we and AMA have known them. I'm not against them, but recognize that their operations face growing and learning pains including regulatory hoops, and don't see it as fair to have our traditional modeling operations be lumped in with them in the court of public opinion and/or government regulatiory process. AMA has no relevant experience in their very different operating environment to provide leadership and advocate on their behalf. If organization is needed, they should have their own, and not be subjected to rules/restrictions that AMA thinks is what is good for them. Neither traditional modelers nor drone operators will benefit from that.
This is not directed at any one person but pretty much all here and AMA members in general. Where do U expect the million or so Quads (drones) expected to be sold this Xmas to be flown if we don't accept them and make room for them to fly at a SAFE environment, Maybe we should give them permission to fly over our houses and property. A lot of Traditional R/C fliers don't like (HATE) helies/3D/Pattern/Imack. U here it all the time OH now the A-Whole is going to fly right over the runway or not fly a pattern. Well if U can't be patient for 6 minutes while your fellow club member ( How paid the same DUES U did) flies his Heli/Quad/IMAC ect.for 6 minutes Then maybe U should sell your TOY airplanes and tale up sail boats or TOY Trains. U certainly don't have the attitude to be in and organization where U have to get along with your fellow flyers members. What makes us think these people even want to be associated with a bunch of O'L Grouchy Geezers, that don't like/want change. Anyway that JMHO and will probably get all kinds of negative feed back. So Be it.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

The more RC aircraft people that criticize the AMA for supporting drones makes me like the AMA even more,
You must be new around here, the AMA threads aren't really meant for praising the AMA, or even for admitting you like them. Might wanna be careful ..you'll get labeled a Glee Club member.

The AMA certainly has embraced all types of model aviation changes throughout their 70 plus years, that's for sure.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Now he thinks he's my toy airplane hobby mentor...too funny.
It must be difficult to look at comments like that and realize you have no legitimate response to them, other than to deflect. But I do sincerely mean it, I'm happy to help you in any way I can. Sometimes a different set of eyes, and a different viewpoint can really make you think of things in a broader perspective. My first suggestion is to get back out to the field and do some flying. Reconnect with the hobby, maybe visit another club close by and talk with those folks, etc etc. You never know what you will hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.