Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 07:48 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
You should have learned that telling me [and others] how wecould better use our time instead of wasting our time posting here makes you look like a ridiculous hypocrite.
Here here.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:51 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The new technology is cool! I haven't really read in here where anyone resents it? (except where it has given our hobby a black eye recently, but that is different than resenting the actual technology)

There are those here that simply think it is its own unique hobby, with unique needs that the AMA is simply not equipped to handle effectively.

Like the well-known names that signed this letter to the AMA recently. It will be interesting to see how/if the AMA responds.

[ATTACH]2133126[/IMG]

It sure is good to know that there are actual people that will do actually do something other than b!tch on these forums when they don't like something! (unless writing a letter such as this is construed as b!tching )

And they didn't even have to run for office!

Regards,

Astro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	An Open Letter to AMA Signed_Page_1 (3).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	2133127   Click image for larger version

Name:	An Open Letter to AMA Signed_Page_2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	2133128   Click image for larger version

Name:	An Open Letter to AMA Signed_Page_3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	2133129   Click image for larger version

Name:	An Open Letter to AMA Signed_Page_4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2133130  
Attached Files
Old 11-29-2015, 07:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Roboflyer

Like any new technology some will misuse it and abuse it while others understand that this technology has more potential to do great harm than the old technology it is designed to replace.
Human nature doesn't change.
There, fixed that for ya.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:59 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by astrohog
The new technology is cool! I haven't really read in here where anyone resents it? (except where it has given our hobby a black eye recently, but that is different than resenting the actual technology)

There are those here that simply think it is its own unique hobby, with unique needs that the AMA is simply not equipped to handle effectively.

Like the well-known names that signed this letter to the AMA recently. It will be interesting to see how/if the AMA responds.

[ATTACH]2133126[/IMG]

It sure is good to know that there are actual people that will do actually do something other than b!tch on these forums when they don't like something! (unless writing a letter such as this is construed as b!tching )

And they didn't even have to run for office!

Regards,

Astro
SO MUCH WIN....!!!!
Obviously these guys listen to Porcia, huh...?
LOL.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There, fixed that for ya.
No that is not what I said at all. But if that is your opinion that is cool by me.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:54 PM
N410DC

As noble as their intent may be, I think they are asking the AMA to close the barn doors months after the horses escaped. The FAA will probably finalize the regulations less than one month after the date on the letter (11/18/2015). Asking the AMA to make a fundamental change in its mission, and the make the required policy changes (both internally and with the insurance carrier) within this time frame may be somewhat unreasonable. I doubt the AMA will be willing to comply with a request from 12 people, without extensive feedback from its membership. There is not way they can get this feedback within a few weeks. Many people, including Yours Truly, fly "drones," and "model aircraft" at AMA flying sites. This number of AMA members who fly both "drones" and "model aircraft" is increasing every day. Does the AMA really want to alienate a large portion of its membership?

The stated goal of the letter is to prevent the regulation of "model aircraft." However, even if the AMA's Exec committee were to label "drones" and "model aircraft" with different definitions, the FAA would most likely ignore the AMA's new definitions. Such an action on the AMA's part would be very unlikely to influence the FAA's final decision. As others have said many times in this thread, the AMA has absolutely no authority to regulate anything, or to require the FAA to regulate anything.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So are you saying these sort of "nicks on an airplane" are, in your mind, acceptable? Clearly you've never had an engine come apart on you due to FOD damage (missing intake temperature probe, smaller in size / mass than a 450 size heli main shaft), and subsequent loss of auxiliary hydraulic systems, etc. All those chunks missing go somewhere...back through the rest of the engine into the hot section, where the blades are the size of a fingernail, easily broken, and then they depart the case much like shrapnel, potentially cutting fuel lines, hydraulic lines, tanks, accumulators, etc.

Clearly you've never been at the controls of an aircraft when FOD damage resulted in cut fuel lines spraying atomized JP5 on the hot section. You've also clearly not been accountable for flight safety of your crew or people on the ground when FOD damage resulted in cut hydraulic lines spraying that fluid on a hot section. Unfortunately, I have, and both times it resulted in engine fires, and posed a significant risk to flight safety.

It's irresponsible for you to trivialize the potential for damage as a "nick." Below is a picture of what one bird can do. No metal parts, no LiPo batteries, no cameras, just soft flesh.

I've been away from this thread for awhile so, somewhat belatedly, would like to thank Franklin for this post. It clearly shows how fragile the front fan on a modern turbine is.
Now, let me ask everyone a few of simple questions:
How many of you have actually worked on a modern jetliner? This includes those that build and/or maintain them.
How many of you understand the inner workings of a modern jetliner? This includes how the various systems are inter-related as well as how they operate.
How many of you really know what happens to a modern jetliner when it loses an engine due to something damaging it?
I've been reading a lot of posts by people saying, more or less, " A drone won't do any more than a bird" and "The FAA requires all planes must be able to fly with an engine out so what's the big deal?" but how many saying these really understand how much danger there is to the passengers and crew in an engine out situation? Then again, how many of you know how dangerous it is to be on a plane with any system out, let alone an engine?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

SO MUCH WIN....!!!!
Obviously these guys listen to Porcia, huh...?
LOL.
Really? What did they win so much of?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by N410DC
As noble as their intent may be, I think they are asking the AMA to close the barn doors months after the horses escaped. The FAA will probably finalize the regulations less than one month after the date on the letter (11/18/2015). Asking the AMA to make a fundamental change in its mission, and the make the required policy changes (both internally and with the insurance carrier) within this time frame may be somewhat unreasonable. I doubt the AMA will be willing to comply with a request from 12 people, without extensive feedback from its membership. There is not way they can get this feedback within a few weeks. Many people, including Yours Truly, fly "drones," and "model aircraft" at AMA flying sites. This number of AMA members who fly both "drones" and "model aircraft" is increasing every day. Does the AMA really want to alienate a large portion of its membership?

The stated goal of the letter is to prevent the regulation of "model aircraft." However, even if the AMA's Exec committee were to label "drones" and "model aircraft" with different definitions, the FAA would most likely ignore the AMA's new definitions. Such an action on the AMA's part would be very unlikely to influence the FAA's final decision. As others have said many times in this thread, the AMA has absolutely no authority to regulate anything, or to require the FAA to regulate anything.
It's never too late. The recent SUGGESTIONS by the task force (even IF they are adopted by the FAA) are not unduly restrictive. I do not mind registering as a hobbyist who flies hobby sUAS in the NAS.

MY fear, is that due to lack of clear definitions and distinctions between "traditional models and activity" and "droning", the FAA and our Legislators will be forced to continue to add more and more restrictive legislation as the ramifications of flying drones in the NAS become reality.

Still plenty of time to distinguish the differences and distance the "traditional" modelers (who FOUNDED the AMA, to advocate for THEM, BTW) who have an impeccable, 70-plus year track record of being safe, community stewards from the "droners" who have proven (in a scant few years) to be disruptive to not only the NAS, but the general public as well, as we all have witnessed almost nightly on the six o'clock news!

C'mon guys, this is NOT about HATING drones. How else can one explain that for SEVENTY-PLUS years, modelers have enjoyed our passion without NARY A WHISPER from the general public or the media, but enter GPS, aerial cameras, FPV and tiny gyros and we have a veritable *****storm of negative media and legislation! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how very different drones are from traditional model aircraft! Unless of course, you wear a tinfoil hat, and think the media all of a sudden decided it hated RC modeling!! LOL

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-29-2015, 09:30 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Really? What did they win so much of?
1. My admiration for each and everyone of them.
2. A very well written document that will serve as a reminder to future AMA leadership where their loyalties and priorities should lie. It should be transcribed to a bronze tablet and placed in the Trophy Case at Muncie HQ
Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

1. My admiration for each and everyone of them.
2. A very well written document that will serve as a reminder to future AMA leadership where their loyalties and priorities should lie. It should be transcribed to a bronze tablet and placed in the Trophy Case at Muncie HQ
Easily impressed I see. Too bad the AMA is a membership organization and not an industry trade association. 14 people signed a letter someone wrote and we don't even know if they are AMA members as they didn't even include their membership numbers. Must just be a coincidence that all 14 have a vested financial interest in fixed wing R/C aircraft.

Assuming they are all AMA members, what percentage of the total AMA membership does the 14 who signed the letter represent?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:13 PM
astrohog

Easily impressed I see. Too bad the AMA is a membership organization and not an industry trade association. 14 people signed a letter someone wrote and we don't even know if they are AMA members as they didn't even include their membership numbers. Must just be a coincidence that all 14 have a vested financial interest in fixed wing R/C aircraft.

Assuming they are all AMA members, what percentage of the total AMA membership does the 14 who signed the letter represent?
HAHA! I wouldn't expect anything less from you Crispy!

I don't know why I am still a bit surprised (I guess I gave you too much credit!).

You and Porcia83 prance around these threads like you can do no wrong. You challenge everyone who does not agree with you, telling them they, "should do something about it, instead of posting on internet forums". When they do, it is not good enough for you! WHO are YOU? Just another sad little man hiding behind your keyboard.

It just goes to show, you get to know someone long enough, their true colors show eventually.

If you had one ounce of integrity, you would acknowledge islandflyers letter, give him kudos for doing something to participate in the process and acquiesce to the fact that the, "secret dozen" really DO exist and offer your apology for questioning HIS integrity.

SAD, you're not a big enough man to admit when you are wrong. Not sure why anyone would waste their time "engaging" with you as it is now painfully clear that you have no intention of adding anything of value to any of these threads.

I pity your SAD life. FLAME ON DUDE!

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-29-2015, 10:22 PM
combatpigg

Every single one of us who loved our autonomy as traditional RC flyers have a vested interest in maintaining that status.

Wondering about what percent of the membership they represent is a waste of time, [which falls under your jurisdiction]. I'll leave that detail up to you to figure out.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:29 PM
astrohog

Must just be a coincidence that all 14 have a vested financial interest in fixed wing R/C aircraft.
Just another of your non-sequiturs.

NOTHING in that letter was anti-drone. Several of those folks have financial interests in drones as well.

Have you been wearing your tin-foil hat again?

Is your "conspiracy theory" resurfacing again? LOL

Astro
Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 PM
combatpigg

Just another of your non-sequiturs.

NOTHING in that letter was anti-drone. Several of those folks have financial interests in drones as well.

Have you been wearing your tin-foil hat again?

Is your "conspiracy theory" resurfacing again? LOL

Astro
Great points Astro.
The guys who signed that letter could make a ton of money if they put their minds to it and branched out into the drone market.
No doubt about it.
...but just in case Crispy's premonition is correct....I want to have all my bases covered..!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	2133143  
Old 11-30-2015, 12:20 AM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Understood but considering that a huge majority that will and have been sold have cameras that guys want to use. Most flying fields do not offer what they want to photograph. While they would be welcome with open arms chances are pretty slim they will show up. Just not "scenic" enough for them.

.Mike
Not all fields welcome drones with open arms. The field near me doesn't. My heli and fixed wings are welcome but not the drone. I fly my drone just as much without the camera as I do with it. Without it, less wieght , more flight time.

Who wants to be part of a group that discriminates against others just because of what they fly.

It's funny some people on here have said they don't like DJI because they made the drones to easy to fly. I'd ike to see those same people saying that fly one of those drones in full manual mode. To me it's was a lot harder to fly the drone in manual mode than it was to fly my fixed wings or my collective pitch 450 or 600 class helis.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:46 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by jatoRC

It's funny some people on here have said they don't like DJI because they made the drones to easy to fly. I'd ike to see those same people saying that fly one of those drones in full manual mode. To me it's was a lot harder to fly the drone in manual mode than it was to fly my fixed wings or my collective pitch 450 or 600 class helis.
Yeah there is a big difference flying in Manual (acro) Mode compared to GPS / Self Level. I have seen competent fixed wing pilots crash several times trying to fly a single circuit with my quads in acro mode. Its more like flying a helicopter than a fixed wing.

DJI make a lot of different products. The ones causing most complaints are the RTF quads that anyone can fly. The latest models like the Inspire and P3 now don't even have a manual mode.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:04 AM
rcmiket

Not all fields welcome drones with open arms. The field near me doesn't. My heli and fixed wings are welcome but not the drone. I fly my drone just as much without the camera as I do with it. Without it, less wieght , more flight time.

Who wants to be part of a group that discriminates against others just because of what they fly.

Fine. We here welcome them with open arms. They just don't come (except for the members that own them) It's just that simple.

Mike
Old 11-30-2015, 04:10 AM
rcmiket

I don't know why I am still a bit surprised (I guess I gave you too much credit!).

You and Porcia83 prance around these threads like you can do no wrong. You challenge everyone who does not agree with you, telling them they, "should do something about it, instead of posting on internet forums". When they do, it is not good enough for you! WHO are YOU? Just another sad little man hiding behind your keyboard.

It just goes to show, you get to know someone long enough, their true colors show eventually.

If you had one ounce of integrity, you would acknowledge islandflyers letter, give him kudos for doing something to participate in the process and acquiesce to the fact that the, "secret dozen" really DO exist and offer your apology for questioning HIS integrity.

SAD, you're not a big enough man to admit when you are wrong. Not sure why anyone would waste their time "engaging" with you as it is now painfully clear that you have no intention of adding anything of value to any of these threads.

Regards,

Astro
+1 I remember the dynamic duo taking Island flyer to task over this.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-30-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:42 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

I like that and ditto
Old 11-30-2015, 05:06 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Regards,

Astro

Is your name on the list?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:39 AM
combatpigg

Some fields just don't accommodate choppers of any kind and that is their call.

Your "Drone" ceases to be a drone once you ditch the camera and other non-essential gear so that you can enjoy flying it manually as a quadcopter [or whatever it is].
Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 AM
combatpigg

From Crispy I was expecting something more like "You're not the boss of me.!!!"
Old 11-30-2015, 07:12 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better watch yourself, keep posting like this and your moral character will be called into question and someone will NOT want to fly with you.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:15 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
+1 I remember the dynamic duo taking Island flyer to task over this.

Mike
Still with the labels and name calling? Would have thought at some point you would stop. Anyway, I believe what I actually said was that Island should do something more formal, and lo and behold he did. So good for him. I always praised him (and you for that matter) for doing more than just posting on websites, even if I didn't agree on the message. At least have the intellectual honesty to admit that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.