Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 AM
jatoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I've seen that snide comment here several times. So here's an answer for ya in the form of a question - How long as GPS been free? That has an entire AFB in Colorado Springs devoted to it. Maybe if the gov charged for it we wouldn't have this drone problem.
It's not free, it's called taxes, and we continue to pay for it.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:59 AM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Originally Posted by combatpigg
Some fields just don't accommodate choppers of any kind and that is their call.

Your "Drone" ceases to be a drone once you ditch the camera and other non-essential gear so that you can enjoy flying it manually as a quadcopter [or whatever it is].

Then U fly your stick built creation with a Rubber band and 3 channel radio. That's just what U are saying to Progress. I suppose that if a young kids comes to your field and wants to learn with say an apprentice or one of the new planes with GPS and auto land U would run him off.

jatoRC;
Again these guys all don't like it cause they don't do it. Just let one of the
"IN CROWED" get one they will all to a man now believe it the greatest thing since control line. Most of these guys turn out to end up being Hypocrites when it comes right down to it. All the clbs I belong to (5) tere always a few that if they don't participate in it now one should. They complain when ever some one that paid the same dues as they get all bent out of shape over some one taking up too much airspace or what ever for 6 to 10 minutes. Every club has these types, and U know I'm right.
It's the same with astronomy. When the telescopes got GPS and computers for auto-location setup and pointing the old guard complained that people who used them weren't really astronomers and were cheating because they were using a computer and not manually positioning the scopes by "star hopping". Then there are the ones who claim refractors are better the reflectors, GEMs are better than forks, yadda, yadda, yadda. Unless you have what they deem is best you are inferior and you don't count. When I built my own automated remote controlled computerized observatory in my backyard that could be be controlled from anywhere via the interent the local club waned to know why I didn't want to be part of their little snotty click.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 AM
rcmiket

Posted by poricia83

"It's not going to be a priority, and it's not going to happen. I mentioned it earlier, and will do so again. The title of this thread is like clickbaiting titles from AOL and Buzzfeed. The realy "story" if you can call it that was about "DRONES"....nowhere did it say anything about aircraft. But that didn't stop the the select few who are anti AMA and anti govt from spinning this as an AMA failure, and in classic propaganda like fashion, try to twist this into the whole hobby being affected.

What is proposed, and floated as a trial balloon to gauge acceptance of the public and constituents, and what will actually BE, are two different things. Regulation of big time commerical drones that will affect air space is a no brainer, that makes sense. The involvement of hobby grade stuff, not so much. I don't buy into the DOT or FAA making some bizarre "power grab" looking for this to be a new area to delve into, they can barely manage what's on their plate right now.

I don't think anyone has to worry about their UMX Carbon Z Cub being registered anytime soon. It's just not going to happen. The alarmists should just stop already."

I'm done.

Mike
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Interesting situation where technology has once again outpaced our govt's control. The average person can equip a plane for at least 40-50 minutes of flight (I get 25-30 with a single 3s 5000mah) with long range equipment. 10's of thousands of feet up and over 20 miles in range. GPS, autonomous flight, multi axis self leveling, return to home, return to land, etc. It's pure awesomeness for a geek like me! All for a reasonable cost. And that was at least a YEAR ago!!

I would love to have the option to legally file a flight plan and fly long range. Unfortunately they are trying to work against us FPV flyers instead of with us. The pilots are not going anywhere, the technology is not going anywhere but up quickly and the flights are not going to stop. Check this out as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkBaY86ORI This was done OVER 2 YEARS ago!! I'm not condoning what they did, but I would be lying if I said I have not given some serious thought to this!!!

I guess all I am saying (as I have before) is that you will NEVER stop the stupid people from flying in stupid places. Not going to happen. Not possible. Think where we will be next Christmas.

One last thing; I see quite a bit of people unhappy with Model Aviation. Why is that? I think they cover lots of diferent stuff and I enjoy reading it as does my son (well, he looks at the pictures )

Sorry for rambling. I have not posted in a bit and just had some thoughts to get out.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:25 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Then you should state AC 91-57A and not AC 91-57.
Picky, picky, picky. Since the link you posted did not even reference 57A I doubt you even knew it existed. Either that or you are just an a....
Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Picky, picky, picky. Since the link you posted did not even reference 57A I doubt you even knew it existed. Either that or you are just an a....
The link I posted was to show AC 91-57 was officially cancelled.

If you doubt I knew AC 91-57A existed, then you can check my previous posts to confirm as I've mentioned it many times. Despite mentioning it and providing a link to it many times, it appears few have actually taken the time to read or understand it. It's interesting to note the word "drone" isn't mentioned in there once.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Crisp should change his name to A.C. Fried since he brings it up so much.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Maybe Crisp should change his name to A.C. Fried since he brings it up so much.
I guess nit picking is a one way street. The nit pickers enjoy it, except when they're getting nit picked on.

Long ago when I posted AC 91-57A some claimed to have read it and said it was no different than AC 91-57. Seems if you're going to at least attempt to have some intelligent conversation everyone needs to be on the same page with terminology and definitions (even if they don't agree with them) from the authoritative source, in the case the FAA. IMHO much of the confusion in this, and many other threads, centers around folks interpretation of the meaning of the word "drone" yet AC 91-57A doesn't even contain the word drone. Go figure.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:27 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The link I posted was to show AC 91-57 was officially cancelled.

If you doubt I knew AC 91-57A existed, then you can check my previous posts to confirm as I've mentioned it many times. Despite mentioning it and providing a link to it many times, it appears few have actually taken the time to read or understand it. It's interesting to note the word "drone" isn't mentioned in there once.
Right, somebody is going to check 216 posts of your prating in this thread alone. ROFL! Only you and Porcina have that much idle time on your hands. DIY and provide cites.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Since the link you posted did not even reference 57A I doubt you even knew it existed.
Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Right, somebody is going to check 216 posts of your prating in this thread alone. ROFL! Only you and Porcina have that much idle time on your hands. DIY and provide cites.
My word stands. If you doubt it, validate it.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:06 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by combatpigg
You assume wrong.
Once again, stick to Apples to Apples comparisons when you fabricate your hypothetical scenarios.
As long as we are flying with just our eyeballs and can override ALL automatic controls with our thumbs, we are good to go.
Drones are here to stay "Forever"
Like it or NOT
U better get used to it. There'll be a lot more of them flying right after XMas.Looks like there'll be a Million More on the 26th.
<---Millions of Smiling Happy DRONE Owners.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Posted by poricia83

"It's not going to be a priority, and it's not going to happen. I mentioned it earlier, and will do so again. The title of this thread is like clickbaiting titles from AOL and Buzzfeed. The realy "story" if you can call it that was about "DRONES"....nowhere did it say anything about aircraft. But that didn't stop the the select few who are anti AMA and anti govt from spinning this as an AMA failure, and in classic propaganda like fashion, try to twist this into the whole hobby being affected.

What is proposed, and floated as a trial balloon to gauge acceptance of the public and constituents, and what will actually BE, are two different things. Regulation of big time commerical drones that will affect air space is a no brainer, that makes sense. The involvement of hobby grade stuff, not so much. I don't buy into the DOT or FAA making some bizarre "power grab" looking for this to be a new area to delve into, they can barely manage what's on their plate right now.

I don't think anyone has to worry about their UMX Carbon Z Cub being registered anytime soon. It's just not going to happen. The alarmists should just stop already."

I'm done.

Mike

You're never done..c'mon.

So will you be lining up to register all your planes? I know you want to avoid answering that question and go back to "registration" as a catch all...but will you be registering every one of your aircraft?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:36 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Says the guy knee deep in all the same threads as us. Witty name change too...I'm impressed and honored. Another follower!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Drones are here to stay "Forever"
Like it or NOT
U better get used to it.
Yes, I came to this realization 40 years ago whenever I was dispatched to White Sands to support Maverick Missile Ops.
One didn't need to be too "gifted" even back then to be able to see how future advances in electronic miniaturization would expand capabilities at lower costs.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:22 PM
cj_rumley

dele

Last edited by cj_rumley; 12-01-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Reminded self.....nothing good to say, best say nothing
Old 12-01-2015, 04:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Better get yours before all milion are gone.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
FlyWheel

Thumbs down

Never mind!

Last edited by FlyWheel; 12-01-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: This thread has deteriorated into an off topic flame war
Old 12-01-2015, 05:23 PM
combatpigg

To those "Trend Setters" who dedicated their entire lives to being the first kid on the block to have .....
a Schwinn Stingray with a Banana Boat seat
a Monkees lunch pail
a color TV
a car with FM reception
a house with a built in vacuum system
a CB radio in your car
Beatle Boots
One of those "garbage can" exhausts on the back of your Honda Civic
a "Mullet"
a $100 pocket calculator back in 1970
a "pager"
a complete set of carbon composite clubs to enhance your 90+ game
a house with all pea green appliances and pea green deep shag carpet.....

We salute you...!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:43 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HEY! At the age of 20, while I wasn't the first kid on the block with a mullet, it DID help me land my wife of 24 years!!!!

Astro
Old 12-01-2015, 05:49 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by astrohog
HEY! At the age of 20, while I wasn't the first kid on the block with a mullet, it DID help me land my wife of 24 years!!!!

Astro
When it comes to love..a man has to do what a man has to do..!
Good job on snaring her..!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Rob2160

Better get yours before all milion are gone.
Unfortunately this is the type of plastic junk that gives multicopters a bad name. I see father / son teams at the park all the time trying to fly these. They are flimsy and have no weight or performance to cope with any sort of wind. Really just toys to be flown indoors.

Many times I have suggested it was too windy for them to fly and offered to help them on a calmer day. Many times they try anyway and destroy it on the first flight.

I actually feel bad for the father when this happens and will pretend to pack up saying its too windy for me to fly also. I wait until they drive off before flying again.

Nothing noble about embarrassing a father in front of his kid.

But a carbon fibre hobby grade acro multicopter has no trouble at all handling very strong winds.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
joancmigneault

I'll register any of my "aircraft" with the FAA as long as I get an "N" number. If I have to jump thru all the hurdles & hoops the FAA want us too, I think I am initled to an "N" number.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Muff3n
Forgive me if this was answered in the previous 80 pages, but how are these regulations even going to be enforced? Are we going to start having FAA examiners from the local FSDO sitting around the flying field on Saturday making sure everybody is registered? Are we going to start getting ramp checked by the FAA with our model airplanes just like full scale? I am afraid this simple registration is only the beginning.
Back when I was a probation officer, I requested hundreds of arrest warrants for people who violated probation. One of the Courts I worked with never ordered their law enforcement officers to search for, apprehend, and arrest these individuals. They simply waited for them to get pulled over for an inoperative tail light, or to have some other encounter with an officer (e.g. a call to the home for a domestic dispute) that prompted the officer to check and see if they were wanted. They then executed the warrant, which may have been issued years before it was executed. I think the FAA will employ a similar strategy; little to no effort will be made to "spot check" model aircraft, but they will certainly lay down penalties for failing to register the aircraft if there is some kind of incident.

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Actually an AC cannot make any demands they are only advisories. However I expect regulations to limit us to 400 feet or maybe less if Amazon has their way.
Perhaps. Then again, the FAA could set the 200' limit for commercial drones that are flow beyond LOS, and keep the 400' recommendation for aircraft that are flown within LOS, and solely for hobby/recreational purposes.

Originally Posted by joancmigneault
I'll register any of my "aircraft" with the FAA as long as I get an "N" number. If I have to jump thru all the hurdles & hoops the FAA want us too, I think I am initled to an "N" number.
I would rather have pay for one number for all of my aircraft, one time in my life, rather than having to pay for separate, unique "N" number every time build or buy a new aircraft.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:37 PM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by cessnaflyer54
The difference between aircraft and a drone is.....anybody can fly a drone. These new drones, a five year old can fly one. Not everyone can fly a plane. How long did your first plane last before you learned how to fly, seconds.
I still have my first plane, it has never been crashed.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:58 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by jatoRC
I still have my first plane, it has never been crashed.
Jato, it never fails.
I could make a generalized, blanket statement like "Each generation of Man gets progressively less active and more obese" and someone like you will chime in and say..."NOT TRUE..I run 50 miles a week and I have 2% body fat..!"

See how that works...?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.