Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FAA says that the owner not pilot must register and he must list all aircraft. This is not registering pilots.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:55 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just signed over all my aircraft to my trust.
"The Machine gun Trust" I use for my guns and will register with that.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Hey that's an idea! Get a Class 3 license and strap your machine guns to your models, and then they are protected by the second amendment!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

What will be the FAA's involvement AFTER you register? I highly doubt that their involvement ends with registration.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You could set up an LLC, trust or some other entity as the owner and then you can have generic information you can send to the FAA.

Its not a big deal but its the principle that is at work here.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:39 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
What will be the FAA's involvement AFTER you register? I highly doubt that their involvement ends with registration.
Well the pollyanna sheeple will tell you there is nothing to worry about.

I think a big chunk of the AMA is getting a wake-up call (email) right about now.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:45 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Who would risk federal prosecution for not following their ill-conceived rules?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:50 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The FAA says that the owner not pilot must register and he must list all aircraft. This is not registering pilots.
Prove it.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:51 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by essyou35
You could set up an LLC, trust or some other entity as the owner and then you can have generic information you can send to the FAA.

Its not a big deal but its the principle that is at work here.
Much like full size aircraft......
Old 12-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Prove it.
Why? It is written that way in the ruling. Why don't you bother to read it? When it comes down to it I don't care if you are ignorant, just please don't be obstinate when I try to educate you.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:21 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I doubt it will be the pollyanna sheeple. You know how those people are with their following the rules and all. Rather I think it's all those folks that will pound their chests and keyboards here and claim "you can pry my airplane from my cold dead hands".

I find it ironic that the most vocal of the critics like to use the fact that they followed the AMA rules for the past 30-40-50 years, but are some of the first to say they won't follow the FAA ones. I guess they are selective rule followers when it suits them. And we wonder why the govt is now involved?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 AM
rcollector

The FAA has told me in the past it is not their problem if below 300 feet when sight seers buzz my property in full size helis. They said call the local police. We try that and are told they do not care and only deal with real crime. So now they are all going to come if I fly a 1 pound foamie over my land?? Really?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM
TimJ

Pretty sure the FAA said its the aircraft, not the owner as per the recommendations. But the owner still has to give out a lot of information.
no no and no.

If you are flying as a hobbyist you are registering yourself, not the aircraft. If you are flying outside of being a hobbyist, you are required to register each aircraft. That is what is stated on the latest Q and A on the FAA website. http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Why? It is written that way in the ruling. Why don't you bother to read it? When it comes down to it I don't care if you are ignorant, just please don't be obstinate when I try to educate you.
Really? Please read the facts before going off half-cocked.....
Old 12-15-2015, 11:39 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry I don't follow. I believe most people will comply. The sheeple will tell you..."comply, everything will be fine, this is not a big deal, etc etc."

IF this were nothing more than a 5 dollar fee and marking the inside of my model with a sharpie, of course it would be great, who cares. I am talking about what is coming next. Airspace restrictions, usage restrictions, operational restrictions, design restrictions.......who will stop them.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:51 AM
TimJ

Here Sport Pilot, I will make it easy for you: http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/#use

Q. Do I have to provide any information on my UAS?
A. Individual recreational users do not have to enter the make, model, and serial number. All non-recreational users will be required to provide the make, model, and serial number when the website is available to all other users.
Q. If I own multiple drones, do I have to register them all?
A. No. You may register once and apply the same registration number to all your UAS.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

So sorry, I see when reading the actual ruling that I misread the heading.
"Registration: Persons intending to use small unmanned aircraft for purposes other than as model aircraft."

I apparently missed the word "other".

Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

"Registration: Persons intending to use small unmanned aircraft for purposes other than as model aircraft."

Still it says it is registering all your aircraft, not the pilot. And it is the owner, the pilot can be anybody else.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Sorry I don't follow. I believe most people will comply. The sheeple will tell you..."comply, everything will be fine, this is not a big deal, etc etc."

IF this were nothing more than a 5 dollar fee and marking the inside of my model with a sharpie, of course it would be great, who cares. I am talking about what is coming next. Airspace restrictions, usage restrictions, operational restrictions, design restrictions.......who will stop them.
Sheeple...lol. They are the ones who will continue to fly and enjoy the hobby. They will probably joining for free, markering their number in the plane, then maybe paying 5.00 in 3 years. I doubt they will be focused on all the horrible things that might happen in the future. We already have the restrictions you noted above except design restrictions, that's a new one. The end is not near...keep calm and keep flying.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Still it says it is registering all your aircraft, not the pilot. And it is the owner, the pilot can be anybody else.
No...that is not correct.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Yep. I had a blacked out Balckhawk hovering over my house last night as I was unloading a couple of air frames. I don't see anyone messing with anybody as long as your playing nice. The FAA wants to play R/C let them I really don't care.The AMA is now just a insurance company with a magazine and your dues are now ( as they have always been) a premium. As far as local clubs enforcing this registration is up to the individual and I guess if a club chooses to do inspections ( with the clubs members approval) than so be it.
Mike
Mike you sound so smart I'd thought you'd fiqure by now all clubs operating on federal , state, county and park land must adhere to all laws and regulations. I know, I know Texas is exempt from all things logical...
Old 12-15-2015, 12:18 PM
flyrcjets

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sheeple...lol. They are the ones who will continue to fly and enjoy the hobby. They will probably joining for free, markering their number in the plane, then maybe paying 5.00 in 3 years. I doubt they will be focused on all the horrible things that might happen in the future. We already have the restrictions you noted above except design restrictions, that's a new one. The end is not near...keep calm and keep flying.
No they will be the ones crying when it hit's them from left field..waaaaaa what happened , why didn't anybody DO SOMETHING...where is the AMA...
Old 12-15-2015, 12:22 PM
TimJ

Sport Pilot, please read the facts. I've provided links and text. I want you armed with the facts. That way misinformation can be prevented.

Last edited by TimJ; 12-15-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM
flyrcjets

Originally Posted by porcia83
I doubt it will be the pollyanna sheeple. You know how those people are with their following the rules and all. Rather I think it's all those folks that will pound their chests and keyboards here and claim "you can pry my airplane from my cold dead hands".

I find it ironic that the most vocal of the critics like to use the fact that they followed the AMA rules for the past 30-40-50 years, but are some of the first to say they won't follow the FAA ones. I guess they are selective rule followers when it suits them. And we wonder why the govt is now involved?
Folks that obey laws still don't like being forced to jump through hoops that Congress say's we don't have too. Can you understand that? It doesn't mean they are selective , it means they KNOW their rights. People sue over them everday.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:31 PM
thepamster

For those of us who don't consider ourselves ignorant could you please tell me where you saw that because I could not find that anywhere.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
Folks that obey laws still don't like being forced to jump through hoops that Congress say's we don't have too. Can you understand that? It doesn't mean they are selective , it means they KNOW their rights. People sue over them everday.
Oh I certainly understand that. Feel free to explain the whole law thing to the FAA and Congress while the registration process is in place. I'm extremely aware of the litigation going on in this country over a number of issues, rights included. So who is going to step up on sue now.

I hate the whole thing, this won't prevent any bad acts, at best it might...might help to identify the perp. I'm looking at this from a reality position (well, my reality). Do I follow the rules or not? Is it worth the risk to get busted? Do I spend 5 minutes registering and a little more time putting a number in or on my plane? To continue to fly and enjoy the hobby, I think it's worth it. I'm hoping, through my rose tinted lenses, that the AMA can still work some kind of deal out with the FAA at least on the reg process. Time will tell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.