Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
OK boys No more
DRONES
they are
Quads
from now on. Agreed?
The last I knew a QUAD was a 4 wheel ATV.

I thought that the Quad's replaced the Three Wheelers .
Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If U Believe that All the AMA provides is insurance U might as well go fly in a public Park. Think about it for a while U Just might come up with many many benefits other than Insurance.
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Better bring your papers. I am sure the FAA has notified the park rangers.
Many AMA Sites are in Federal,State, County. or City sites. And guess what is the common denominator? If U said the AMA insurance U win the brass ring. We fly in the Miacopa county AZ Parks system property, that is controlled by the Flood Control people and without the AMA we would not be there. Most clubs that don't Own their own field are there because the Property owner get's $5 Million Primary Liability coverage and costs him nothing. I venture and correct me if I'm wrong, without the AMA and it's Insurance coverage, most of U would be running R/C TOY Cars not flying in the NAS. So U should be Kissing the AMA's preveriable U know what, Because your very R/C TOY flying Life depends very much on their ability to provide your secondary insurance for megar dues that we pay. Just saying try it on your own if U believe so strongly about the subject, Remember much better men then Anyone here have tried and FAILED big time.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Gearhead8
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba

The last I knew a QUAD was a 4 wheel ATV.

I thought that the Quad's replaced the Three Wheelers .
Multi-Rotor is the proper term you might be looking for.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead8
OK. Let's call them MRCs then, for 'multi rotor craft'. Aviation loves their acronyms.

Those of us who fly conventional aircraft (including the conventional heli) and scale versions of full scale, need to distance ourselves from them.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

HOUNDDOG

Remember much better men then Anyone here have tried and FAILED big time.

Do you know everyone here?

Last edited by PLANE JIM; 12-20-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
OK. Let's call them MRCs then, for 'multi rotor craft'. Aviation loves their acronyms.

Those of us who fly conventional aircraft (including the conventional heli) and scale versions of full scale, need to distance ourselves from them.
Be careful what kind of multi-rotor aircraft you want to distance yourself from.

https://youtu.be/nB_1u9UeyFw
Old 12-20-2015, 08:49 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
HOUNDDOG

Remember much better men then Anyone here have tried and FAILED big time.

Do you know everyone here?
Hey PJ:
sort of ... But I was speaking of the X AMA officials that broke away form the AMA to form the SFA

There are quite a few people here that "Know they are Better Than those that came before and failed. Just saying it's those that's bite the hand that keeps, no (Makes it Possible to Fly R/C TOYs") Period. If U believe I'm wrong turn in Your AMA card and Resign, save $75, and see where that's get's U.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

It is this exact style of elitism (some might even say snobbery) that would be the death knell for the AMA if left unchecked. It's the same sort of classicism that we've all heard about at clubs, either looking to join them or discovered once in them. Be it the anti arf. the foamie, the "you aren't a builder" mentality. Lets not forget how helis were greeted, and continue to be. Odd though, they were really the first true multi-rotor, as they used more than one rotor blade to control the airplanes movement. Yes, and people wanted those banned from the AMA and clubs as well (and many clubs have banned them). But lets get back to the whole MR thing though.

Decembers MA mag finally arrived, WOW...what an edition, one of my favorites for years! I keep hearing how all it does now is glorify MRs, yet right on the front page was a big ol heli. Lots of great stories and articles and yes ads too, not tilted in quad/mr direction though. But one article in particular caught my eye. If folks here haven't tossed it already, or used it to line the birdcage, take a turn to page 41, the story about Otto Dieffenback. A guy who has returned to the hobby after a 30 year absence, what a difference it must have been for him. Now, the best part of this story is that he IS back in this hobby, but if what I read here is correct, and I know I've read it here, we should be shutting this guy out of the AMA and I guess by that our clubs too. Why? Well, he has multi rotor crafts...those horrible trouble causing things. Except his are quite unique. One of a kind masterful creations that showcase his building, radio programming, and flying skills. So, take a look at the article if you get a chance, it's quite an eyeopener.

So onto those folks who want to keep the hobby for themselves, all those folks who feel that traditional "building" skills somehow elevate their status in this hobby...could you look this guy in the face if you ran the AMA and say sorry, we don't want your kind here. Your aircraft fly with more than one rotor, and don't look like our J-3 Cubs and P-51 Mustangs, so off with you. Find a field to fly in (but of course when you do we'll call you rouge fliers that cause us all trouble), and feel free to start your own CBO, we just don't think you belong. I wonder what percentage of those people who would keep this guy out of the AMA and our hobby could do 10% of what he has done.

Thank god the AMA doesn't do that, and probably never will.

Last edited by porcia83; 12-20-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added the page #
Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Gearhead8
Absolutely correct ... but Unfortunately the FAA/DOT has lumped every thing that flies and is Unmanned.autonomous and/or R/C Controlled is ...Are U ready for it? UAS/UAV/sUAS etc.
Just take a Guess who makes the rules for this game & has the last word on the subject. Not arguing but Just Saying.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:11 PM
HoundDog

Be careful from whom you wish to be distanced from...if Predictions there will be a Million or more of them in just 4 days and less than 189K of us. Now who do U think is going to rule the 180K Traditionals Or the 1 million+ MRC's. Don't forget there is definitely "Strength in Numbers". Especially if we (AMA) can "Educate" them to HOW WHEN & WHERE to fly. We can not Educate some one we refuse to Unite wit because of Petty Prejudices. Just look at what the NRA's 4.5 Million Paying members has been able to do to keep the Libs at bay.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Be careful what kind of multi-rotor aircraft you want to distance yourself from.

https://youtu.be/nB_1u9UeyFw
Yea, I knew that response was coming. Didn't take long. That is a scale aircraft. Heli, but still a scale model of a full scale aircraft. An MRC will be simply a multi rotor flying machine not patterned after any full scale human carrying aircraft.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:22 PM
HoundDog

Yea, I knew that response was coming. Didn't take long. That is a scale aircraft. Heli, but still a scale model of a full scale aircraft. An MRC will be simply a multi rotor flying machine not patterned after any full scale human carrying aircraft.
So neither is a lot of rotor craft not to mention Traditional R/C TOY air craft. I think the best way to refer to any R/C controlled flying (Thing) an R/C TOY. Period. That's what they are and has to be to fly for fun and/or Education.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:29 PM
HoundDog

[h=1]FAA Finally Decides to Call for Drone Registrations After 11 Months of Campaigning by Monster Arts[/h]

Print Share Font-size

12/16/15 08:00 AM EST
NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV / ACCESSWIRE / December 16, 2015 / Monster Arts, Inc (OTC:APPZ) today announces that after more than a year of encouraging federal, state, and local governments to adopt a drone registration process, the United States Federal Aviation Administration released the below yesterday in their press release:

"The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a streamlined and user-friendly web-based aircraft registration process for owners of small unmanned aircraft (UAS)…
…Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft. Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors… Owners may register through a web-based system at www.faa.gov/uas/registration."
To see the FAA's full press release, please visit: http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=19856
Monster Arts intends to turn over its database of registered drone users that have voluntarily registered at the website DroneRegistry.US, that up until yesterday was run by Monster Arts, as well as redirect the URL http://www.DroneRegistry.us, to point directly at the FAA's registration site in the very near future.
About Monster Arts
Since 2010, Monster Arts (OTC:APPZ) (soon to be renamed Aviation M), along with its corporate predecessors, affiliates, and venture partners, have been developing, and are continuing to develop, smart device GPS and intelligent-location driven tracking software, with an emerging focus on the fast growing Drone/Unmanned Aerial Vehicle space. In addition, the Company continues to expand its paying subscriber and partner base, through Trick or Tracker(R), FanPic.com and TravelAmericaVisitorGuide.com, among other products and related services, including www.droneregistry.us.
PRESS CONTACT:
Jennifer Irving Public Relations Monster Arts, Inc. (725) 222-UAV1 [email protected]
Safe Harbor Statement:
Any statements contained in this press release that relate to future plans, events or performance are forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including, but not limited to, the risks associated with the management appointment described in this press release, and other risks identified in the filings by Monster Arts, Inc. (APPZ), with the U. S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Further information on risks faced by APPZ are detailed in the Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2014, and in its subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q. These filings are or will become available on a website maintained by the U. S. Securities and Exchange Commission at http://www.sec.gov. The information contained in this press release is accurate as of the date indicated. Actual results, events or performance may differ materially. Monster Arts does not undertake any obligation to publicly release the any revision to these forward-looking statements that may be made to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Included in this release are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Although the company believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, it can give no assurance that such expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements will prove to have been correct. The company's actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Monster Arts, Inc.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:38 PM
ram3500-RCU

Be careful from whom you wish to be distanced from...if Predictions there will be a Million or more of them in just 4 days and less than 189K of us. Now who do U think is going to rule the 180K Traditionals Or the 1 million+ MRC's. Don't forget there is definitely "Strength in Numbers". Especially if we (AMA) can "Educate" them to HOW WHEN & WHERE to fly. We can not Educate some one we refuse to Unite wit because of Petty Prejudices. Just look at what the NRA's 4.5 Million Paying members has been able to do to keep the Libs at bay.
Well, I personally have no "prejudice" to the MRC, as I have several myself. But as a builder and pilot of giant scale, and scale competition types, I see no need to attempt to reel in all these backyard type craft that thousands will certainly not hesitate to fly in their back yards. This needs to be controlled by local law enforcement with privacy and trespassing laws already on the books. Concerned neighbors need to be ready to call local law enforcement if a dangerous situation arises. As for the public and private or restricted invasions that have and will continue to happen, laws already exist to deal with those as well. Prosecution will begin to curtail idiots from being so bold. Trying to regulate all these couch pilots is grasping for the wind. IMO, the AMA would serve us better in making this clear distinction between true RC aviation, and the toy MRC.

Now, I mean no disrespect to those who consider themselves RC pilots because they can maneuver ones of these toys. I truly enjoy flying them as well, but they are nothing like building and competing with a WWII fighter. The building part is obvious, but consider this on the flying end. I fly backwards, that is to say I fly with my elevator stick backwards. Taught myself this way about 47 years ago. Tried to change and it cost me three planes, so I just go with it now. I can pick up any MRC and fly it right out of the box, no issues. They just don't screw up my mind because they are so different. They are fun toys to me. My RC planes are NOT toys, they are scaled down models, unless, of course, you ask my wife. :-(
Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

You knew it was coming but didn't see fit to define it ahead of time? And now the definition is it has to look like a real aircraft, otherwise it's not a model of some type? Please no dictionary definitions to support a position, they don't matter. The FAA has already decided. Plus..not every fixed wing or rotor craft is an exact replica of something that was build in scale. There are some fantasy like aircraft out there (flying wings, F3 ships, pattern, slope ships) that aren't matched in real life. I've never seen anything close to this at any airshow I've ever been at, why are these allowed in the AMA?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hera-00.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2136847   Click image for larger version

Name:	aeglide1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2136848  

Last edited by porcia83; 12-21-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It didn't take long because some folks take the time to to think things through. An on the fly rules approach based on what something looks like (e.g., scale) is never going to happen. MR means exactly that.

How about one that's not scale.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well, I personally have no "prejudice" to the MRC, as I have several myself. But as a builder and pilot of giant scale, and scale competition types, I see no need to attempt to reel in all these backyard type craft that thousands will certainly not hesitate to fly in their back yards. This needs to be controlled by local law enforcement with privacy and trespassing laws already on the books. Concerned neighbors need to be ready to call local law enforcement if a dangerous situation arises. As for the public and private or restricted invasions that have and will continue to happen, laws already exist to deal with those as well. Prosecution will begin to curtail idiots from being so bold. Trying to regulate all these couch pilots is grasping for the wind. IMO, the AMA would serve us better in making this clear distinction between true RC aviation, and the toy MRC.

Now, I mean no disrespect to those who consider themselves RC pilots because they can maneuver ones of these toys. I truly enjoy flying them as well, but they are nothing like building and competing with a WWII fighter. The building part is obvious, but consider this on the flying end. I fly backwards, that is to say I fly with my elevator stick backwards. Taught myself this way about 47 years ago. Tried to change and it cost me three planes, so I just go with it now. I can pick up any MRC and fly it right out of the box, no issues. They just don't screw up my mind because they are so different. They are fun toys to me. My RC planes are NOT toys, they are scaled down models, unless, of course, you ask my wife. :-(
I'm sorry...I get a queezy feeling the more I read about scale aircraft (that almost always seems to turn to warbirds), and the whole "building" thing. Also, the whole concept that any MR can just be taken out of the box and flown right away with no skills needed, it's really easy! That is so far removed from reality. Even the little Estes Protos take skill.

MR "builders" often times put a signiicant amount of time building their aircraft, as well as funds. Not unheard of to see MR costing far in excess of a conventional RC airplane. The carbon fiber parts are costly, and lets not forget the electronics. I have a friend who spend $4,000 building his, took him weeks to do it.

This $9,000 MR is hardly a toy. This whole discussion feels like another "traditional RC modeler builder versus MR pilots thing.

Again, look on page 41 of this months MA mag....that guy absolutely had a right to be in the AMA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	51GPpy9KTDL._SL1356_.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2136849  
Old 12-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

How about some real backwards and backwards inverted? This certainly isn't a toy, especially considering the pilot in the video who designed and manufactured them.

https://youtu.be/MVL_Hf4ilLg
Old 12-21-2015, 12:31 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
It is this exact style of elitism (some might even say snobbery) that would be the death knell for the AMA if left unchecked. It's the same sort of classicism that we've all heard about at clubs, either looking to join them or discovered once in them. Be it the anti arf. the foamie, the "you aren't a builder" mentality. Lets not forget how helis were greeted, and continue to be. Odd though, they were really the first true multi-rotor, as they used more than one rotor blade to control the airplanes movement. Yes, and people wanted those banned from the AMA and clubs as well (and many clubs have banned them). But lets get back to the whole MR thing though.

Decembers MA mag finally arrived, WOW...what an edition, one of my favorites for years! I keep hearing how all it does now is glorify MRs, yet right on the front page was a big ol heli. Lots of great stories and articles and yes ads too, not tilted in quad/mr direction though. But one article in particular caught my eye. If folks here haven't tossed it already, or used it to line the birdcage, take a turn to page 41, the story about Otto Dieffenback. A guy who has returned to the hobby after a 30 year absence, what a difference it must have been for him. Now, the best part of this story is that he IS back in this hobby, but if what I read here is correct, and I know I've read it here, we should be shutting this guy out of the AMA and I guess by that our clubs too. Why? Well, he has multi rotor crafts...those horrible trouble causing things. Except his are quite unique. One of a kind masterful creations that showcase his building, radio programming, and flying skills. So, take a look at the article if you get a chance, it's quite an eyeopener.

So onto those folks who want to keep the hobby for themselves, all those folks who feel that traditional "building" skills somehow elevate their status in this hobby...could you look this guy in the face if you ran the AMA and say sorry, we don't want your kind here. Your aircraft fly with more than one rotor, and don't look like our J-3 Cubs and P-51 Mustangs, so off with you. Find a field to fly in (but of course when you do we'll call you rouge fliers that cause us all trouble), and feel free to start your own CBO, we just don't think you belong. I wonder what percentage of those people who would keep this guy out of the AMA and our hobby could do 10% of what he has done.

Thank god the AMA doesn't do that, and probably never will.
Well stated! I know Otto, in fact I announced at two different events where he performed center stage. The number 1 thing I hear from scale guys; "Why is he flying" and insert some lame comment that attempts to belittle what Otto has accomplished. These backwards kind of comments and thoughts allow me to appreciate the fact that not just "Scale Guys" run the AMA, otherwise non of us would be allowed to fly with 2.4Ghz transmitters or computer radios.....

Last edited by TimJ; 12-21-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:34 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What gives I went to register and you can't. Not only that but you still have to pay the registration fee which they said would be refunded at a later date.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:01 AM
rcmiket

Property owner get's $5 Million Primary Liability coverage and costs him nothing. .
I thought site owners coverage was 2.5 million.

Mike
Old 12-21-2015, 05:09 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
Well stated! I know Otto, in fact announced at two different events where he performed center stage. The number 1 thing I hear from scale guys; "Why is he flying" and insert some lame comment that attempts to belittle what Otto has accomplished. These backwards kind of comments and thoughts allow me to appreciate the fact that not just "Scale Guys" run the AMA, otherwise non of us would be allowed to fly with 2.4Ghz transmitters or computer radios.....
Can you imagine, a "scale" guy standing there next to some 13 year old and his dad who's watching the show being amazed at the ingenuity and just all out coolness of one of his creations, and lets not forget the flying skills, and hearing those comments. So that's that what I'll be greeted with if I want to join the club eh? And a year or two later those "scale" guys are wondering, gosh, why isn't anyone joining our great club. Why don't we have anyone young here to enjoy our scale civilian aircraft that are scratch-built that fly in amazing racetrack patterns.

4 years ago I allowed a heli pilot to do a demo at an electric fixed wing fun fly. I heard a few of the more "traditional" modelers complain about it, a few even asked me why I let that happen ( I had put the event together). I said because he's part of the future of the hobby...the 17 year old kid can take a 700 size heli, create a show set to music, and knock the socks off of those watching. Let's not forget, some of our shows/fun flys are opportunities to promote many aspects of the hobby, and at least for us, generate interest in the club. Ya know, to get new members, ya know, to keep the club and the hobby going.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flycatch
What gives I went to register and you can't. Not only that but you still have to pay the registration fee which they said would be refunded at a later date.
What gives in the FAA announcement said it would be online sometime today, they never gave a specific time. That could be because some malcontents were trying to suggest that everyone try to register at once and crash the system. That would show the FAA right?

As for the fee, again that's clearly stated. A credit card is used in part to confirm and validate you say who you really are, and then you will get a credit. Easy peazy lemon sqeezy.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:15 AM
rcmiket

No rush to register. I'd hold off till the last minute.You have till 2-19 to register.

Mike

From the rules the FAA posted.
February 19, 2016
• Small unmanned aircraft to be used exclusively as model aircraft and have been operated by their owner prior to December 21, 2015.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:18 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Just like I said. Either they haven't finished the site yet or they just started working on it ! Good luck !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.