Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 12-21-2015, 01:07 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boeing727
You have dykes by the river in Hartford ? ........ suspicious activity . They absolutely need tracking .
Thought that would be lost forever...thanks for picking up on it. I've been on the lookout...I'm keeping things safe here. Not that there's anything wrong with that though.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Apparently you either haven't read or don't understand my posts. Not long ago some thought I worked for the AMA. Some may still even think that. I don't want to see anyone quite the AMA, like them or not, they are the only voice we have. However, it makes no sense for anyone who constantly complains about them to not vote with their wallet.
Wait, you don't work for them? I got a letter from some guy named Frank. F. Urter saying you guys worked together at the AMA Taj Mahal in Muncie...I'm beginning to think someone pulled the pork over my eyes.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
No CC # from me. This is sort of a line in the sand moment for me.

I think the last 10-20 supporters/followers of RCU post to these AMA threads. The whole RC end of this hobby is pretty pathetic anymore anyway really. This may be the thing that pushes me out.

Considering the FAA is reactionary, I will just stick with my unregistered CL planes. There is almost a zero chance of any incident with them, that would get the FAA to knock on my door. I will take my chances.
Don't get me wrong, everyone will make their own choice to either register or not, it's their choice. It looks like the CC is the last straw for you. Not sure why, if you use that for any online shopping you have more of a chance to get scammed there/info breached than anywhere. I get it though, minimize risk. Don't know what you mean exactly with the last 20 comments on RCU though.

Sad to see you think the RC end of this hobby is pathetic. It was stagnant for a while, and membership dropped. ARF, Helis, Foamies, and now MR of course have brought a fresh breath of air and started getting people back into the AMA. Changes are this is the same type of renaissance the hobby enjoyed after rubber band and free flight, times change. Not always to everyone's satisfaction, but the hobby is still well alive and offers all kinds of things to all types. Glad to see you'll at least stay in it for the CL aspect of it. I think you're 100% right on the FAA involvement knock on the door....one in 100 million. I bet they never see the light of day at a field unless they are asked to be there. Can't help but wonder, did anyone ever invite them to a fly in or event? I've seen them at a local scale fly in and RC demo. Great couple of guys who towed along a trailder filled with some amazing computer systems.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:40 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Apparently you either haven't read or don't understand my posts. Not long ago some thought I worked for the AMA. Some may still even think that. I don't want to see anyone quite the AMA, like them or not, they are the only voice we have. However, it makes no sense for anyone who constantly complains about them to not vote with their wallet.
Ok then , WE both are happy with the AMA , but some are more happy than others and I can't and won't demonize anyone who is unhappy with the present state of affairs . I really don't think that to call out the failure to secure our position is an indictment of the entire organization but it sure points to an opportunity wasted . It is my opinion that we would have been left out of this if the AMA had let BLOS able craft find a different organization to represent them . I did already register because I believe that if our challenge is based solely on whether or not our models are indeed aircraft , we have already lost since they are air traveling man made craft , and whether a Human is on board or not does not change that designation .

In closing , I'll say that a bunch of your posts I do agree with , but needling Franklin because he wants all the facts to be public is what got me to calling you a troll . Dude , I know your better than that , and I know Franklin has every right to question if the AMA "did all it could/should do" , I'll bet at least a bunch of us others also wonder the very same thing .
Old 12-21-2015, 01:52 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...w-enforcement/

Oh boy. Have an entertaining read......
Old 12-21-2015, 02:00 PM
StevL

Has the FAA written exactly what a UAV is to them? When I visited the registration page it leads me into thinking it's only for drones/multirotor...? So do the examples they give, I see no airplanes, jets, or helicopters.

Steve
Old 12-21-2015, 02:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ

Interesting, but another red herring. This is the same guy and outfit that tried to make much ado about nothing on the ability to search names...something the scale pilots license has always been open too.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

He makes some excellent points. Kudos for stating "model aircraft or drones" rather than just calling everything a drone.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM
TimJ

He does present a situation that for many of us that are AMA members will be able to handle without an issue. But that Multi-Rotor pilot flying his camera around, will not be as educated on the subject and most likely combative. So those guys will be in for a rude awaking.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:43 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by porcia83
You knew it was coming but didn't see fit to define it ahead of time? And now the definition is it has to look like a real aircraft, otherwise it's not a model of some type? Please no dictionary definitions to support a position, they don't matter. The FAA has already decided. Plus..not every fixed wing or rotor craft is an exact replica of something that was build in scale. There are some fantasy like aircraft out there (flying wings, F3 ships, pattern, slope ships) that aren't matched in real life. I've never seen anything close to this at any airshow I've ever been at, why are these allowed in the AMA?

Then wat are these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JgnMJzCtQ

http://www.popsci.com/look-strange-h...ng-multicopter

https://www.google.com/search?q=man+...JMqnHb9sS3s%3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpko3CPHonQ
Old 12-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

He does present a situation that for many of us that are AMA members will be able to handle without an issue. But that Multi-Rotor pilot flying his camera around, will not be as educated on the subject and most likely combative. So those guys will be in for a rude awaking.
Live and learn. A few hams have learned the hard way over the years too including serious fines and loss of their license. They'll learn the hard way the FAA isn't playing games. Once a few good examples make the news and non-offenders learn how to the self police I suspect we'll see a sharp decrease in offenders. It's all about mindset. Large scale change occurs when a lot of people change a little.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:56 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

He does present a situation that for many of us that are AMA members will be able to handle without an issue. But that Multi-Rotor pilot flying his camera around, will not be as educated on the subject and most likely combative.
So those guys will be in for a rude awaking.
We are the ones in for a RUDE AWAKING Believe me Read on.
Then get with it and EDUCATE them ... If we don't and registration with out education fails we all shall suffer much more stringent FAA Regulation ... The the FAA have the last word and that can be as restrictive as U must posses a UAV Pilots License with an INSTRUMENT rating ... Only about $#0,000 and a year to complete.

Mark my words, Mess with the Bull (FAA) and U will get Gored. Their like the IRS and aren't to be trifled with. They can make your whole life MISERABLE if they wish. That's especially true if U posses any form of Pilots Certificate,

I feel it's stupid to NOT take the FREE Registration and Put that number in/on anything U fly in the NAS and shut the He[[ up. Let the FAA have their way, before the lower the boom on all of us for Non compliance of their Mandate..
Old 12-21-2015, 04:55 PM
TimJ

I don't believe the sky is falling. Sorry. I can't bite on that.

All this registration process does is give the FAA the ability to hold people responsible in a court of law when someone does something dumb.

When Amazon and police departments get their drone service in full swing, we will start to see flying sites having to be registered with the FAA, with special airspace designations.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:04 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

The ama said to hold off on registering .
Those who have, why are you registering now ?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:08 PM
init4fun

Live and learn. A few hams have learned the hard way over the years too including serious fines and loss of their license. They'll learn the hard way the FAA isn't playing games. Once a few good examples make the news and non-offenders learn how to the self police I suspect we'll see a sharp decrease in offenders. It's all about mindset. Large scale change occurs when a lot of people change a little.
The great thing about ham & the FCC is that since there really aren't any lives at risk , the FCC gives fair warning to violators before lowering the boom . An errant ham operator will first get a "cease and desist" order that if complied with , goes no further . If the situation continues , next step is confiscation of equipment . third time Mr. FCC comes a knockin results in criminal charges & loss of operating license . Now the FAA on the other hand , where lives very may be at risk from errant operation , likely won't be giving any "warning shots" and anyone who gets caught will get "the full program" as it were , and rightfully so .
Old 12-21-2015, 05:09 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Because they want to get an "atta boy" from the FAA and feel good about themselves that they're such allegiant obeyers of any ridiculous request the government has of them.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 12-21-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 PM
init4fun

Hi Brian ,

Since I've already registered , I'll answer your question .

I do not believe that the AMA will prevail in their quest to separate model aircraft from the rest of the UAS while allowing a "safe haven" for possible BLOS flyers under the present AMA #550 FPV operations guideline . The bottom line to me is that I believe the FAA wanted to reign in BLOS flyers and would have excluded us had the AMA not petitioned for exemption under special rule #336 while allowing use of possible BLOS aircraft . It would appear now that the AMA's hopes are pinned on a court ruling declaring our devices as not being aircraft , and I highly doubt any court is gonna look at a 1/4 scale model of a Cub to be anything other than an aircraft . Since it's my belief that the AMA is fighting an already lost cause to save face among us members , I was not going to wait till the official ruling comes down that since our devices do travel in the air , and are man made craft , that they are , indeed , "aircraft" subject to the FAA's pre existing registration requirement , dating back to the FAA's inception .

Last edited by init4fun; 12-21-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:22 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Because they want to get an "atta boy" from the FAA and feel good about themselves that they're such allegiant obeyers of any ridiculous request the government has of them.
Nice troll post , got anything relevant to add to the thread , or are ya just here to fling poop like this BS here ?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Rob2160

1. Mainly just curious how the process worked and what a registration certificate would look like. Its free and only takes a few minutes.

2. If you buy a new model from today you cannot fly it until registered. (There is no period of grace for new models)

3. To Impress the local chicks by flying my FAA registered Drones around Sydney and to get the lowest registration number possible .

(3. is tongue in cheek...)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 1.00.13 pm.png
Views:	91
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2136968  

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-21-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:02 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Don't get me wrong, everyone will make their own choice to either register or not, it's their choice. It looks like the CC is the last straw for you. Not sure why, if you use that for any online shopping you have more of a chance to get scammed there/info breached than anywhere. I get it though, minimize risk. Don't know what you mean exactly with the last 20 comments on RCU though.

Sad to see you think the RC end of this hobby is pathetic. It was stagnant for a while, and membership dropped. ARF, Helis, Foamies, and now MR of course have brought a fresh breath of air and started getting people back into the AMA. Changes are this is the same type of renaissance the hobby enjoyed after rubber band and free flight, times change. Not always to everyone's satisfaction, but the hobby is still well alive and offers all kinds of things to all types. Glad to see you'll at least stay in it for the CL aspect of it. I think you're 100% right on the FAA involvement knock on the door....one in 100 million. I bet they never see the light of day at a field unless they are asked to be there. Can't help but wonder, did anyone ever invite them to a fly in or event? I've seen them at a local scale fly in and RC demo. Great couple of guys who towed along a trailder filled with some amazing computer systems.
My club hosted the Warbirds over the ROckies for 7 years. The FAA did show up one year. They said they were going to do something about "those", pointing at a turbine scale model.

I am not fearful of my CC account being hacked, I just do not want the gov. to have it. I trust them least of all.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:11 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Nice troll post , got anything relevant to add to the thread , or are ya just here to fling poop like this BS here ?
The man asked a question and I presented my theory. If you want to register and continue to fly good for you but why else would you rush to do it when you legally have almost two more months? You said that you don't see hope for the rule to be overturned but I would like to present this example. A couple of years ago the FMSCA issued new Hours of Service regulations for truckers that included a 34 reset that had to have two rest periods between 1 and 5 AM. After lobbying and protest by various groups that part of the new rules was suspended. We still might get an AMA or club field exemption. Or at the very least a postponed deadline for registration.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 12-22-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:12 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

I just registered myself on the government website. Pretty harmless I gave gave them my address. In return I get a number for 3 years and a five dollar rebate. As AMA members we have to put our name and contact information on the same aircraft.

OMG! Some black SUVs are parked at the curb, men dressed in suits and sunglasses are approaching with their right hands in their jackets and the other pressed to their ears. They will never get my drones!

Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

My club hosted the Warbirds over the ROckies for 7 years. The FAA did show up one year. They said they were going to do something about "those", pointing at a turbine scale model.

I am not fearful of my CC account being hacked, I just do not want the gov. to have it. I trust them least of all.
O/K...ya got me on the edge of my seat....what did they do with the turbines? Bet they stayed and watched in awe like everyone else. I wouldn't have an issue with them showing up around our field, we follow the rules, so no issues. They better buy some burgers and dogs, and a raffle ticket or two.

As for the CC info, I get it. However, the govt has been storing information on you since they day you were born. I'd trust them a heck of a lot more than I would Google. I get it though. Thanks for the follow up.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:27 PM
rcmiket

I've never attended myself but 2 close friends who make it every year love it.

Mike
Old 12-21-2015, 06:38 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think one of the main reasons the FAA showed up at the WBOTR, was mainly to keep an eye on the full scale fly overs. There were strict rules in place for that aspect of the event. The comment by the FAA rep was overheard by a friend of mine, and he said he was serious. No surprise really considering the performance.

Interesting at work, we are really cleaning up our safety issues within our business ( a large custom cabinet company). This of course to be compliant with OSHA. I am on the safety committee, and we have hired a firm to advise us on corrections to make. I was in a conversation last week with one of our advisors, and he told me OSHA has very few personnel. That they come in after the fact. So if someone cuts off a finger, they will come in and then lower the boom.

It seems the FAA operates the same way. So, I have never had an incident with my aircraft, and do not expect to. It is a chance I am willing to take. After all, it is not me they are after anyway. Like they always say, "If you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about". But regardless of how much they have on me, I do not trust the Gov. History teaches us not to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.